• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Will No Longer Disclose Future Consoles (PS6) With Activision If Buyout Deal Closes

Logic falls apart when you consider they’re already in that situation with Mojang, Bungie and Sony San Diego.

Logic falls apart when you don't realize he is talking about sharing information of UNRELEASED consoles. Not released and in production.

Unreleased console prototypes and dev road maps are only shared with very close partners that can sign a NDA and non compet agreements.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Some people are shocked by this? really?

Why the hell would you give your competitor the partial or full information about your upcoming console 12-24 months before you launch? thats one way to make sure you will never have the upper hand (some third party partners even have (rough) pricing information early)

Mojang and Bungie will get their dev kits later it's that simple (they'll still get them of course, but I'd guess not until at least the public reveal of the console)

Ozriel

M$FT
Logic falls apart when you don't realize he is talking about sharing information of UNRELEASED consoles. Not released and in production.

Unreleased console prototypes and dev road maps are only shared with very close partners that can sign a NDA and non compet agreements.

Yes. I realize that. It’s clearly stated in the OP.

Bungie - for example - is also an important Multiplatform dev, so if this isn't a dealbreaker for their future multiplatform support, it shouldn’t be for Activision.

Specs are crystallized over a year to release, so it’s not an earth shattering task to scale launch games to platforms. They can provide broad performance levels if needed.

Whitecrow

Banned
note: Gaming = PlayStation
You know what?
MS Game Studios have 40 studios under it's umbrella right now.
Do you see the great ammount of first party games?

Neither do I.

Remember Fable Legends and Lionhead studios closure? Remember Scalebound? And The Coalition revolutionary game?
The Halo fiasco?

And do you know anything about State of Decay 3 which was announced in 2020? or the New Perfect Dark?

MS is awful at managing studios and devs. It's incredibly hard for them to make good use of them. Literally the only 3 studios doing work are Playground, Turn10, and Asobo.
The others are literally trying to make a game and survive the process, which MS makes very hard for them.

So yeah, there's the obvioius possiblity of ruining Activision/Blizzard, they have a track record for that, and that would be bad for gaming.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I don't see the surprise here. It's a perfectly normal and realistic decision to make in case the deal is sealed.

Confused Power Rangers GIF

Hudo

Sony closed as studios many as you claim. The games regressing are your opinion. Majority of their titles score at 80 and up, im sure that something Microsoft would love to have or buy. Look at the numbers Sony has always relied on third party titles. timed exclusives, PS only content? Like I said MS cant compete so they are buying the bar.
MS are competing on a different front that, ironically enough, Sony can't compete on (yet?). Which is their games-as-a-service stuff with Game Pass and all that ecosystem around it. That being said, Sony's recent reports show that most customers are actually paying quite a lot of money for digital transactions in service-games (hence their efforts in that area) and are buying fewer games in turn. So in that sense, Microsoft is actually competing quite well. It's just that in the traditional "Buy a game for $70" market, Microsoft have trouble. But that market seems to shrink.

And yes, you're right, the regression of Sony's first-party diversity may be my opinion. Still want a new MotorStorm, though. For me, Pacific Rift was on the level of Burnout 3 when it comes to action/arcade racers. And Burnout 3 is probably the best one ever.

midnightAI

This idea that if only MS had access to devkits in advance they'd be able to copy the "Sony secret sauce!1" is a laughable idea. These companies use off-the-shelf IP from the same company and have access to the same internal roadmaps from said company. If a forum dweller like me can get the general outline of what the PS5 SoC would be 2½ years before launch I guarantee you that Microsoft can too.
A console is more than just a SoC. I'm sure both Sony and MS would love to have seen each others consoles 24 months before launch and I'm sure both would have possibly changed slightly.

But still, if you know exact specs you can just up your specs slightly without going overboard, you will still outdo the competition especially if you can then sell it at the same price or cheaper.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s not that they will never give activision a dev kit. It’s just they will not give them one or tell them any future console specs before release.

It’s a perfectly sane response.

nikolino840

It’s not that they will never give activision a dev kit. It’s just they will not give them one or tell them any future console specs before release.

It’s a perfectly sane response.
Yeah but after sony (and users) crying that MS was lying about same date same version

Godot25

Banned
So what?

It's not like two of the Sony owned studios are working on games that are targeting current and future Xbox consoles (Sony San Diego and Bungie) right?

Also. Why he cares at all? Sony constantly claims that Microsoft will take away COD from PlayStation. So why would they even need to share PS6 specs with ABK studios post-merger?

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Played the normal cyberpunk, as recently as a few months back even. I played with both RT on and off. Don't misinterpret what I say though, it's not literally 0% difference, but it's absolutely negligible and not worth any framerate loss people might have with a bit weaker hardware.
I would prefer devs to put attention to good HDR implementation a billion times over spending any resources in RT.
So you don't know what overdrive is? Hdr is nothing compared to proper RT implementation. Look up CP2077 overdrive and dying light 2.

Godot25

Banned
Bungie makes 1 game.

Activision is the largest independent publisher.

Please.
But that does not matter at all in this context.
Bungie is making multiplatform games ie. Microsoft will send specs and development kit into the studio to optimise Marathon and future Bungie games for next-gen console
Sony San Diego is releasing MLB games every year so they literally need development kit for Xbox as soon as possible to prepare new MLB The Show when next-gen launches.

It is literally same in reverse. Sony will have info on Xbox's new hardware thanks to Bungie and SSD. Microsoft will have info on new PS hardware thanks to Mojang and ABK.
Size of companies is literally irrelevant. Because one devkit is enough to have all info you need.

Darsxx82

He is right, and at the same time he cannot be more hypocritical. I hope SONY and the FTC can have better arguments because this is the easiest debatable. MLB, BUngie... it means that MS is in the same situation but does not make it a problem.

Fabieter

He is right, and at the same time he cannot be more hypocritical. I hope SONY and the FTC can have better arguments because this is the easiest debatable. MLB, BUngie... it means that MS is in the same situation but does not make it a problem.

This is about disclosing info early on for what its planned and what Partner want. Dont believe for a second that ms is fine sharing stuff with sony early on.

FStubbs

I thought this deal was dead already.

That being said, the highest selling PlayStation to date is PS2 (though PS5 will probably beat it). CoD wasn't a huge deal on that console so PlayStation would be just fine even if CoD left the platform - which it won't.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Of course it matters.

There's a fundamental difference between 1 game not being optimized and having the largest release year after year be suboptimized for a console, something that has historically driven people to chose one device or another.

The size, reach, influence of activision cannot measure and any comparisons you attemp to bring are essentially meaningless in comparison.

Godot25

Banned
Of course it matters.

There's a fundamental difference between 1 game not being optimized and having the largest release year after year be suboptimized for a console, something that has historically driven people to chose one device or another.

The size, reach, influence of activision cannot measure and any comparisons you attemp to bring are essentially meaningless in comparison.
You are talking about XYZ game being optimised for hardware.
I'm talking about hardware company (Sony, Microsoft) that have to share their console specs with studio that is owned by competitor. Which is exactly what Ryan is talking about. And which is case for Bungie/Sony San Diego in same way as it is a case for ABK studios post-merger.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Bungie is making multiplatform games ie. Microsoft will send specs and development kit into the studio to optimise Marathon and future Bungie games for next-gen console
Sony San Diego is releasing MLB games every year so they literally need development kit for Xbox as soon as possible to prepare new MLB The Show when next-gen launches.

It is literally same in reverse. Sony will have info on Xbox's new hardware thanks to Bungie and SSD. Microsoft will have info on new PS hardware thanks to Mojang and ABK.
Size of companies is literally irrelevant. Because one devkit is enough to have all info you need.

That's not how things work. Minecraft has no native build for PS5 atm. They can do the same with these other titles you mentioned. But atm their won't be any next-gen Xbox console so it doesn't matter right now.

They don't have to share early data with these companies.

Ar¢tos

So what?

It's not like two of the Sony owned studios are working on games that are targeting current and future Xbox consoles (Sony San Diego and Bungie) right?

Also. Why he cares at all? Sony constantly claims that Microsoft will take away COD from PlayStation. So why would they even need to share PS6 specs with ABK studios post-merger?
Sony creates new consoles with the input of the big devs and lend them prototypes to test and give feedback. All this means is that ATK studios are out of that process and will get Devkits when all the 3rd party studios get them.

Three

That's actually quite easy, because we have a real-world example of what happens when PlayStation fails to compete. It's called the PlayStation 3. Microsoft took full advantage of Sony's litany of absolute blunders in the first half of that generation, and shoved Sony up against the nearest wall by their fucking throat. And what happened when it all went bad for PlayStation? Sony turned its first party studios into an industry leading powerhouse and fought back tooth and nail, giving us the legendary "It only does everything" push. PlayStation doing bad directly caused the second coming of PlayStation because, heading into the next generation, Microsoft was riding high on their arrogance and Sony were hungry to compete. The entire industry figured Microsoft had next-gen in the bag before it even started. Despite their successes in the late-PS3 gen, Sony as a whole was seriously bleeding. Desperate, Sony stepped back into the ring with the PS4: a cheap, powerful piece of kit that absolutely delivered. Hit after hit, smart decision after smart decision, win after win. Things going bad for PlayStation forced PlayStation to do better, so, things going bad for PlayStation seems to be a good thing for PlayStation, oddly enough. Sony doesn't need protecting - they need competition, or they'll end up making another PlayStation 3.
You can't just romanticise everything and call it good, and you can't just attribute Sony's good decisions to xbox. The PS4 wasn't good because Sony was "desperate". First party output wasn't great "because they had their throats against the wall".

The "it only does everything" push was at a time where they stopped it doing everything (removed PS2 BC, removed card readers, removed SACD, removed linux) because they had to drastically cut costs since they weren't selling as much third party software or consoles due to xbox. They were in the red practically the entire gen.

You failed to mention where MS and Xbox actually brought some good competition in terms of OS, achievements, parties, network, etc. With that came some bad too like no free online and mtx. The PS4 being good and their first party output had little to do with xbox though and certainly nothing to do with the "it only does everything" push. We need MS and xbox to keep prices in check and for innovation, not to remove third parties and cause harm.

Last edited:

yurinka

Mojang has ps5 kits though
The idea is that Sony wouldn't give Activision (plus I assume Mojang and the other MS studios) early access to the PS6 dev kits and specs years before the PS6 release. To avoid giving them ideas to copy stuff for the next Xbox.

I assume that after release, they'd give them access to the MS companies to allow them make games for PS6.

Godot25

Banned
That's not how things work. Minecraft has no native build for PS5 atm. They can do the same with these other titles you mentioned. But atm their won't be any next-gen Xbox console so it doesn't matter right now.

They don't have to share early data with these companies.
So, it's fine when Microsoft have to share Xbox specs with Sony San Diego, game that releases yearly
But somehow it's bad when Sony have to share PS specs with ABK studios about games that releases yearly.

I mean. Nobody is forcing Sony to do that in advance. They can send dev kits at same time as in case for other studios. It's risk/reward strategy.

Godot25

Banned
Sony creates new consoles with the input of the big devs and lend them prototypes to test and give feedback. All this means is that ATK studios are out of that process and will get Devkits when all the 3rd party studios get them.
And this is problem...why?

It's not like there is clusterfuck of other studios that can give you input about your next console.

And again. Sony was fearmongering for whole year that Microsoft will take away COD from PlayStation after merger. If they really believe that this is a reality of a situation, then this entire conversation is literally pointless since there will be no COD for PS6.

Ar¢tos

And this is problem...why?

It's not like there is clusterfuck of other studios that can give you input about your next console.

And again. Sony was fearmongering for whole year that Microsoft will take away COD from PlayStation after merger. If they really believe that this is a reality of a situation, then this entire conversation is literally pointless since there will be no COD for PS6.
It's not a problem, it's just logical. Its a statement from Sony, doesn't really require any answer. *shrug*

Darsxx82

This is about disclosing info early on for what its planned and what Partner want. Dont believe for a second that ms is fine sharing stuff with sony early on.

I know what it is, it is a situation that affects both but only one makes it a problem and makes it believe that it is the only one affected. It is as easy as SONY can look for other partners with whom to exchange secret information and technology.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm talking about hardware company (Sony, Microsoft) that have to share their console specs with studio that is owned by competitor. Which is exactly what Ryan is talking about. And which is case for Bungie/Sony San Diego in same way as it is a case for ABK studios post-merger.

You fail to mention the fundamental difference of having Activision games unoptimized vs bungies due to their respective sizes.

It’s not the same, and you know it.

FStubbs

So when is Sony leaving Azure?

Kurotri

Offtopic but the language of law is so fascinating to me lol. "Do you see that language" I've never even heard of that expression before. Granted English is my second language but still.

Gone

Banned
Grasping at straws at this point..

Bungie is a Sony studio now and they make games for Xbox so what's the deal there?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So, it's fine when Microsoft have to share Xbox specs with Sony San Diego, game that releases yearly
But somehow it's bad when Sony have to share PS specs with ABK studios about games that releases yearly.

I mean. Nobody is forcing Sony to do that in advance. They can send dev kits at same time as in case for other studios. It's risk/reward strategy.

This is such some xbox fanboys bullshit. Throwing words in others mouth. Are you tone deaf or something? It adds both ways, but were here talking about Sony not giving prototype information or devkits. Both ABK and Zenimax are publishers and not single devs. They both have a lot of studios under their umbrella.

No one is saying that Xbox should share information, nor is Jim saying Microsoft should share information.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

This is such some xbox fanboys bullshit. Throwing words in others mouth. Are you tone deaf or something? It adds both ways, but were here talking about Sony not giving prototype information or devkits. Both ABK and Zenimax are publishers and not single devs. They both have a lot of studios under their umbrella.

No one is saying that Xbox should share information, nor is Jim saying Microsoft should share information.
Reading comprehension is a skill outside of the reach of many.

Three

Grasping at straws at this point..

Bungie is a Sony studio now and they make games for Xbox so what's the deal there?
The deal there is that MS probably don't give a shit and wouldn't send one there either. They will rely on BC and "boost mode" enhancements.

Sony didn't buy a multiplatform third party developer known as Sony San Diego to make them first party. If MS want to share specs with Sony San Diego that's up to them.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I know what it is, it is a situation that affects both but only one makes it a problem and makes it believe that it is the only one affected. It is as easy as SONY can look for other partners with whom to exchange secret information and technology.

He got asked the question and he honestly answered it. You can't say that about everyone tho. He could also have lied or don't answer it directly like most other ceos do.

Darsxx82

He got asked the question and he honestly answered it. You can't say that about everyone tho. He could also have lied or don't answer it directly like most other ceos do.
What?? It is a response made in one's own interest to regulators. It is NOT a random question in any interview with nothing of substance. He responds as an argument against the possible acquisition of ABK. He puts it as a reason for regulators to ban the deal. That is, he is complaining about a situation that MS also suffers as if it were only Playstation's own.

Is he being sincere? YES, as much as a hypocrite.

I can't be the only one who can't wait for this deal to close or fail so we can stop hearing about it every damn day.

Also, COD sucks.
I'll honestly be happy about it getting off my playstation unless in some unprecedented almighty miracle from the heavens CoD puts out a golden egg equivalent to the original Modern Warfare or World at War, which of course will never, EVER, in holy creation will happen again.

I get sucked into playing the new games one way or another because of how much I love first person linear campaigns with highly detailed animations. But luckily I'm at the point where I'll never buy a new one with my own money again unless it's very cheap.

I got MW2 2022 as a birthday present and immediately regretted it after playing like halfway through the campaign. It's so much worse than the 2019 one it's not even funny.

Top Bottom