• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: “Why Sony Is About To Crush Microsoft All Over Again”

The Alien

Banned
...and there it is. The last bastion of positive press turning on Microsoft.

Forbes now joins all the other shill "game journalist sites" that tout every Sony move and scorn everything Microsoft.

So sad. 😭

When did Forbes become a shill scam? What happened to journalistic integrity? Seesh....

MS went over a trillion a year or so ago, not sure where they are now...
But both are doing quite well, Sony being a Japanese company held its value down for a long time due to the economy there.

Sony may be Japanese in parts, but PlayStation is American now. They relocated the head division to...California...a while ago.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

The title is total clickbait mind.
All in all a poorly written article but it does raise good points about install base and marketing strategies that can't be ignored.

Humdinger

Sounds about right to me.

- Bigger install base going in
- Better exclusives
- Actual exclusives to the platform

None of this is a new insight, but it certainly makes sense. Of course, we still don't know what sort of machine the PS5 will be, or what its exclusive lineup will actually look like, so those could change the game somewhat.

Birdo

Banned
- Better exclusives

That's a matter of taste though.

I enjoyed Forza Horizon 4 more than ANY PS4 exclusive last year.

Also, there was only one PS4 game in the top 20 games sold last year. Exclusives are not a big selling point. It's one of those gaming forum myths.

Psykodad

Banned
Everyone seems to be overestimating the difference between a next generation only game and a game that will be able to be downgraded enough to work on past generation consoles.

The difference, especially in the first few years is not as big as people think.

Better graphics, higher resolution, quicker load times, more enemies and more enemies etc are all that we can expect to see and all can be done over 2 generations of consoles.

The reason I know this..... Pc gaming.

You can reduce graphics that much you can play games on garbage pc's and you can crank up the settings to make it look amazing.

I feel bad for you if you believe it is any different at least the first few years.

I'd love to be proven wrong as I'll pick up whatever I need to so I can play the games I want to play.
The biggest difference is marketing of said next-gen exclusives and perceived value as a result of that.

I actually think some people on gaf are underestimating that.

Kokoloko85

MS isnt dealing with a PS3. Xbox brand is never gonna have the same success it had with the 360 era.
Which released a year before the PS3, less expensive, more 3rd party approval, better equipped for online, and Ms was also taking having some of the titles more connected with Playstation for the first time. Titles like Devil May Cry, Tekken, Final Fantasy 13.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I both care about physical media & owning the best version of games available, thus will go Xbox (as PC isn’t physical).

Sony censors their JPN exclusives & I already have a Switch for those types of titles.

Arrogant Sony + Censorship from their new California headquarters won’t “crush” anyone. They’ll get sales, but they won’t have another PS4 launch.
The gap in hardware sales won't be as big but PS5 will definitely lead worldwide

Jtibh

Banned
You just wait for voost kain where he will write a full novel of why xbox will crush playstation this gen.

Whats this....i am getting deja vu vibes.....thats not good.....

sn0man

I both care about physical media & owning the best version of games available, thus will go Xbox (as PC isn’t physical).

Sony censors their JPN exclusives & I already have a Switch for those types of titles.

Arrogant Sony + Censorship from their new California headquarters won’t “crush” anyone. They’ll get sales, but they won’t have another PS4 launch.

You care about physical media but are getting an Xbox? The only gaming console this generation that requires an online connection before you can load up a game. The only console that requires an online account before you can create a user profile. You can set up a switch and a PS4 and hit skip/setup later and to my knowledge the Xbox still forces online. Your choice but I personally don’t get it.

Sounds about right to me.

- Bigger install base going in
- Better exclusives
- Actual exclusives to the platform

None of this is a new insight, but it certainly makes sense. Of course, we still don't know what sort of machine the PS5 will be, or what its exclusive lineup will actually look like, so those could change the game somewhat.

Forza aside I agree with you. If Sony has a similarly capable box at a sufficiently similar price there is nothing MS can do. Ridiculous “prediction” I know.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Imagine putting all that time into an article that no one will read? That person probably wasted an entire afternoon writing that garbage and no one will even open the page!

But Sony will crush Microsoft again! Somehow selling 50 million consoles on the back of Don Mattrick is getting crushed 😂😂😂
How is selling 106 million consoles vs 50 million consoles not getting crushed?

wGj6ozT.jpg

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
The gap in hardware sales won't be as big but PS5 will definitely lead worldwide

The gap continues to get bigger even by percentages as time goes on, this is not a new trend... nearly 10 years now. My guess without knowing price points, half sales of Xbone over first 4 years, 15-20m.

Obviously MS is in the services business now. (console warz over like the mobile warz)

Last edited:

Klart

The biggest difference is marketing of said next-gen exclusives and perceived value as a result of that.

I actually think some people on gaf are underestimating that.

Exactly. Just the idea that "you can play this game only on a PS5" can move a lot of PS5's. It doesn't even have to be all that better looking than the competition (but Sony will make sure their PS5 exclusive game(s) will look amazing). The fact alone that you can play the new Xbox games on your old Xbox will be a significant drawback for the initial sales of the Xbox Series X .

You'll need the PS5 to play those brand new Sony exclusives. You won't need the Xbox Series X to play those brand new MS exclusives.

Of course this is all in MS' plans. They don't really care that much about the sales of the Xbox Series X, they have their eyes on the services market.

Klart

Nobody but an unsignificant number of hardcore gamers cares about the censorship issue. This will never impact sales.

If Sony plays it simple (just the next PS console with great exclusive games), they will hit the ground running.

Aside from avoiding idiotic moves and policies, I wish Sony returned to the beginning of the PS4 generation, suporting smaller developers and indies.
Playstation was good because it used to offer you everything, for all publics and tastes.
Sony need to give more highlights to small partners and revive the Japan Studios to make colorful and fun games.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Fuck yeah it is. And every bit as shit as the others. I wish people would stop giving Forbes attention.

FFS

In the end, paid or whatever. They're all just opinion pieces. If you agree, good. If not who cares. But if someone else's opinion bothers you then you have a problem lol.

DESTROYA

I'm hoping Sony releases they're exclusives on PC also. Then I haven no reason to buy a PS5 either. Then it can only be PC + Nintendo. Come on Sony you can do it. Release those exclusives on PC
They probably will maybe a year or two after they release on console.

Heinrich

Banned
I mean, he is right, shilling or not. Only those will want to buy a Series X who want to play MS exclusives and hates gaming on PC. That includes me. And if it will have much better hardware than PS5 then it will be also better for third party games.

PS5 exclusive games will also come to PC though.

Pallas

Normally I wouldn’t have made a thread about a Forbes article but seeing them being positive about Sony took me back a bit, so I had to share it with all of you.

Humdinger

That's a matter of taste though.

I enjoyed Forza Horizon 4 more than ANY PS4 exclusive last year.

Also, there was only one PS4 game in the top 20 games sold last year. Exclusives are not a big selling point. It's one of those gaming forum myths.

To some degree the strength of exclusives is a matter of taste, but I think most people/observers would say that PS4 has had the stronger and more diverse lineup of exclusives this generation. MS has been on the defensive about it for the past 3 or 4 years, at least, and Sony has been delivering. The sales data certainly reflect that. (I'm not referring to last year; I'm talking about the whole past generation.)

I disagree with the idea that "exclusives aren't a big selling point." Exclusives are a big part of what moves consoles, especially among the early adopters, and especially in the early years.

Don't think of it just in terms of what one exclusive game sells, because that's not how it works. Think of the whole stable of exclusives -- that's the draw, not just one game. It's not just the exclusives in the release window, either, but the ones you know are coming down the road. For instance, people will buy the PS5 because they know they'll be getting the next Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man, etc., just as people will buy the XSX because they know they'll be getting the next Halo, Gears, and Forza. Exclusive libraries do move consoles. Heck, even single games can be decisive (e.g., Zelda BotW, Halo: CE).

Last edited:

RaySoft

The article is right "for now". I rly want to give MS some credit for going this route. As said in the article, it's not necessarily the best strategy for winning _THIS_ console battle, but I'm quite sure it's the right strategy to win the war further ahead. Consoles are dying soon, love it or hate it, but it's inevitable (sadly).
The future of gaming is rocking any device you might have, and having similar or better gaming experiencses as before. Agnostic hardware will be the future and when it hit's, MS will be miles ahead Sony (or any competitor) at that point.
Though it makes me sad to wave goodbye to customized hardware and such, it's clear that the cost/availability/freedom/ease will be king in the comming years, and at _that_ battlefield MS shows up more than prepared...

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
He is probably right but still... you can't take Forbes too seriously.

As far as I am concerned PlayStation has hurt their most faithful customers with some of their most recent moves. The leaks about games going to PC, crossplay, cross-save, not answering MS's acquisitions in kind. The loss of several key popular PlayStation execs...

The move away from big conferences is also disappointing, E3 2015 and 2016 were great memories and the new 'state of plays' are (in a word) shite.
Microsoft got rolled away wet this gen. I'll state that much. But that wont happen next gen. I feel pretty confident in saying so.

TimFL

Microsoft does not care who sells more consoles this gen, only fanboys do. It's all about long-term revenue.
They'd care if their console sold. The only way they could stay relevant was by going for the strategy they have now, good for them and for the costumers who want to play their exclusives on their PCs.

If you want a reality check you can always look at the 360/PS3 era. That's probably the arrogance we'd deal with right now if the XB1 were a success.

TLDR: Your bait is not lowkey enough.

Journey

Banned
The dude is crying? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I don’t know.

He's wiping his tears with money. Perfectly used Gif :messenger_grinning_sweat:

MS will be making serious amounts of money, more so with Game Pass, yet you have people still worrying about who has sold more, like anyone cares if Dell sold more PCs than Sony Vaio's, Sony still made a shit ton of profit selling them. MS is now all about games and services, Xbox Series X will be one of many tools to get you playing, other options will be a PC running WIndows 10, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and soon even streaming devices via XCloud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom