• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over

Bullet Club

tl;dr: $10.4b debt, losing content, Disney+ @ $6.99.

Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over

Last year, half of Americans aged 22 to 45 watched zero hours of cable TV. And almost 35 million households have quit cable in the past decade.

All these people are moving to streaming services like Netflix (NFLX). Today, more than half of American households subscribe to a streaming service.

The media calls this “cord cutting.”

This trend is far more disruptive than most people understand. The downfall of cable is releasing billions in stock market wealth.

Combined, America’s five biggest cable companies are worth over $750 billion. And most investors assume Netflix will claim the bulk of profits that cable leaves behind.

So far, they’ve been right. Have you seen Netflix’s stock price? Holy cow. It has rocketed 8,300% since 2009, leaving even Amazon in the dust:

bQ2WYtJ.png

But don’t let its past success fool you.

Because Netflix is not the future of TV. Let me say that one more time… Netflix is not the future of TV.

The Only Thing That Matters

Netflix changed how we watch TV, but it didn’t really change what we watch…

Netflix has achieved its incredible growth by taking distribution away from cable companies. Instead of watching The Office on cable, people now watch The Office on Netflix.

This edge isn’t sustainable.

In a world where you can watch practically anything whenever you want, dominance in distribution is very fragile.

Because the internet has opened up a whole world of choice, featuring great exclusive content is now far more important than anything else.

For example, about 20 million people tuned in to watch the first episode of the latest season of hit show Game of Thrones.

It was one of the most-watched non-sporting events in TV history.

Netflix management knows content is king. The company spent $12 billion developing original shows last year. It released 88% more original programming in 2018 than it did the previous year.

And spending on original shows and movies is expected to hit $15 billion this year.

It now invests more in content than any other American TV network.

To fund its new shows, Netflix is borrowing huge sums of debt. It currently owes creditors $10.4 billion, which is 59% more than it owed this time last year.

The problem is that no matter how much Netflix spends, it has no chance to catch up with its biggest rival…

Disney Enters the Race

The Walt Disney Company (DIS) is one of America’s most iconic companies.

Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse way back in 1928. Over the following eight decades the company built an empire.

Over 160 million people visited its theme parks last year. And it’s among the world’s largest media companies.

But over the past decade a core part of its business has been disrupted.

More than a third of Disney’s revenue comes from its cable business. As you may know, Disney owns leading sports network ESPN and ABC News.

It makes money delivering this content to millions of Americans through cable providers like AT&T. As you can imagine, cord cutting has hit this business hard.

Disney’s cable business has stagnated over the past seven years. But in about 175 days, Disney is set to launch its own streaming service called Disney+.

It’s going to charge $6.99/month—around $6 cheaper than Netflix.

And it’s pulling all its content off of Netflix.

This is a big deal.

The Undisputed King of Content

Disney owns Marvel, Pixar Animations, Star Wars, ESPN, National Geographic, Modern Family, and The Simpsons. Not to mention all the classic characters like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

In six of the past seven years, Disney has produced the world’s top-selling movie.

Here’s a list of the five highest-earning movies of 2018:
  1. Avengers Infinity War
  2. Black Panther
  3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  4. Incredibles 2
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody
All except Jurassic World are Disney productions. Clearly, Disney is king of the blockbuster. Over the past six years, its average film has raked in $1.2 billion at the box office.

So Long Netflix…

Picture this…

Disney puts a blockbuster like Avengers Endgame on its platform the same day it opens in theaters.

After a few weeks it’s no longer in theaters. You can’t buy it. You can’t rent it. The only way to watch is to subscribe to Disney’s steaming service, Disney+.

For example, the only place your children or grandchildren will be able to see Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 may be on Disney+.

Can you imagine how many parents will sign up for this? I’ll certainly be subscribing for my daughter.

At $6.99/month, what family with kids under 12 years wouldn’t subscribe?

Plus, Disney owns 60% of America’s second-largest and fastest-growing streaming service, Hulu.

Disney has shown it can produce movies and shows people want to watch. No competitor comes within 1,000 miles of Disney’s world of content.

Disney’s ownership of iconic franchises like Star Wars gives it something no money can buy.

Meanwhile, Netflix will lose a lot of its best content—and potentially millions of subscribers who switch to Disney+.

While Netflix is running into debt “trying out” new shows, Disney already has the best of the best in its arsenal.

Source: Forbes

pramod

Banned
Ehh, I think even though their dream of world domination is probably gone, they can still hang on.
They need to realize they have a bunch of hardcore fanatical millennial fans that won't abandon them as long as the fees are reasonable. If Disney is $7 most people can probably afford both Disney AND Netflix.

What they need to do is:
Stop wasting so much money on producing all these garbage shows. Even if 1 out of 5 becomes a hit it's still a huge waste of money. They just need a few good shows not a sea of junk.
Keep the subscription fees low. That is the key. They will never beat Disney in content so they have to keep prices low enough so people won't leave.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I fucking hate the splintering of streaming services. Gotta pay for Netflix to watch the movies I want to, and then a different one to get kids Disney and Nickelodeon stuff. Costs too much money

Paying for two or even three steaming services is still cheaper than cable used to be though isn't it? Plus you can cancel your steaming services at any time, didn't cable lock you in for 12 months minimum?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Paying for two or even three steaming services is still cheaper than cable used to be though isn't it? Plus you can cancel your steaming services at any time, didn't cable lock you in for 12 months minimum?
Never had cable so I don’t know

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Disney could charge $2 a month and still be ok with it, they make money from other sources, Netflix only has its platform, they don't have toys, parks, books, etc.

edit: also, yes, Netflix has a lot of shit shows on there, it is getting to a point where it's too much to shuffle through.

Last edited:

kiiltz

I fucking hate the splintering of streaming services. Gotta pay for Netflix to watch the movies I want to, and then a different one to get kids Disney and Nickelodeon stuff. Costs too much money
How many is there? Netflix, Stan, Amazon and Hulu? And then you've got the weeb ones like Crunchyroll and Funimation. Now, Disney+ is on the horizon.

Yeah nah think I'll stick to the seven seas, thanks. A yo ho ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Tesseract

Banned
uh netflix isn't going anywhere, they're pretty much only getting started

we'll see how the witcher fares, and stranger things s03, and millions of other things

ain't nobody signing up to a disney service for marvel content

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Considering a lot of the junk Disney has been putting out lately, it'll be at least a decade before they can even come close to sniffin Netflix's ass. Which coincides with their "estimated" subscriber numbers being completely in check with reality when they announced it.

The thing about Disney+ is most people have looked at it as a secondary service at best. Not an actual replacement of Netflix. Netflix has the advantage of dozens of networks/companies wanting their shows/movies on it (even when Netflix is trying to expand original content). Their un-original movie/show content is the greatest it's ever been. Plus they have tons of great original content (for every type of person). Disney has a target audience which only makes up for a small percentage of Netflix users & the type of shows/movies they watch.

Regarding Hulu, it's a joke in content compared to Netflix. Even if they combined Hulu into Disney+ (which they won't for financial reasons & separation), it still wouldn't make a difference. Unless Disney starts adding thousands & thousands of non-disney owned content so every person can enjoy it like Netflix, they won't ever compete/replace Netflix as the "main" service. I'm sure Disney+ will be a good service, but they'll just be another service add-on to coexist with Netflix. Netflix is the household name for streaming.

Fun facts:

Netflix owns 26% of global video streaming (even beating Youtube). Hulu is @ .4 for comparison.

Netflix already has 112 Emmy Nominations for its original content.

Netflix's largest demographic is 30-49.

Netflix has added nearly 20 million users in the past 15 months. Approaching 150 million users worldwide.

The average number of months a Netflix user has been subscribed for = 45 months.

Netflix prices fluctuate according to where you live. Turkey cost $3.27.

Disney+ won't be worldwide until late 2021.

Netflix-Most-often-users.png

Netflix-Users-Reason-in-subscribing.gif

Netflix-Global-Video-Streaming.jpg

Last edited:

120v

netflix will be fine. though maybe it's time to ease off producing content off debt, establish partnerships with other studios for direct distribution or whatever. they've obviously got obstacles ahead but it's not doomsday either

Kenpachii

I don't see disney make much of a dent into netflix to be honest. They still have to proof themselves.

Netflix is a well known name by now by anybody, disney streaming service not so much.

Makariel

I'm having Netflix and Prime at the moment, together with Youtube it's hard not to find something to watch. I really don't care too much about what Disney throws out every year, but I guess I might be in the minority who got just tired of Star Wars and Marvel movies.

MilkyJoe

Netflix is shit anyway, I only use it for Top Gear and Trailer Park Boys. Glad I'm leaching and not paying

Last edited:

I think the disruption right now will lead to various mergers and deals. The good thing is that there is a ton of great content on so many different devices right now.

Some of the Netflix shows and movies are good and get better. But there are a ton of throwaway shows and movies that are down-right awful. Not to mention they killed off there Marvel shows. Disney knows how to make good movies, and I expect them to know how to make good high-quality shows and I also expect them to keep them moving when they are good. I may get rid of Netflix and hop onto Disney+ just for the sole fact that their library is truly unstoppable. I may hop onto Netflix from time to time to see what they have, but Disney+ is the way to go.

Nymphae

Banned
After a few weeks it’s no longer in theaters. You can’t buy it. You can’t rent it. The only way to watch is to subscribe to Disney’s steaming service, Disney+.

Yeah if this is the future of content access, I'll be over here with my hard drives full of games movies and TV from before Disney took over the world. I'm already off Netflix and won't be signing up for this.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Honestly for a good while Disney+ will likely help Netflix. At the current price for most people it will be an add-on to Netflix rather than supplanting it, and will make cord cutting a more viable option. When Disney inevitably starts upping their fee things may become more difficult, but for the forseeable future Netflix will be fine. The vast range of 'crap' content is I think Netflix's biggest strength, they have something for everyone, and have enough content that there is always something to watch for pretty much everyone, they don't need the prestige 'must-see' shows as much anymore because they are the go to background show service.

Dontero

Banned
Here is the problem with your calculation.

Disney makes few bilion on those shows. If they sell them for 5$ as subscription they will effectively cut down most of it because tickets and dvds or even VOD is still more expensive than subscription.

Kenpachii

Here is the problem with your calculation.

Disney makes few bilion on those shows. If they sell them for 5$ as subscription they will effectively cut down most of it because tickets and dvds or even VOD is still more expensive than subscription.

I honestly wonder how they going to adres this. They can't release there movies and content on day one on there service i assume. So will people wait for it to become available a year later or half a year later or just ignore it as it's not a hot product anymore at the time it releases.

The biggest issue with movies in general these days. Gotta go to cinema's to freaking watch them. Terrible practise.

Last edited:

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
As long as Netflix keeps producing really high caliber original content like Black Mirror, Dead to Me, Stranger Things, Comedy Specials, Altered Carbon, Million Dollar Table...I'll stay subscribed.

Netflix has changed it's value to me from a "watch a bunch of traditional TV shows and movies" source to a "watch a bunch of NETFLIX TV Shows and Movies" source. I'm there because of the original content at this point. The other stuff is a nice to have.

Whether Netflix can sustain itself purely on original programming at the existing pricepoint is another conversation entirely.

GIMMIE DAT BLACK MIRROR SEASON 5, SON!

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This forgets all the other advantages Netflix already has... Until I start seeing a "Disney +" button replacing Netflix buttons on smart TVs I don't think it's going to be anything like how it's described.

I cancelled Netflix as soon as they stopped the DNS shenanigans.

All other streaming services can go fuck themselves. I'll pay when you open the doors to all content and not lock them into regions, you miserable, money-grabbing dicks.

cryptoadam

Banned
everyone can complain about the streaming future, but if we travel back to the 90's or before and seeing what we have and the speed/availability it would blow our minds.

Sorry don't miss the days of going to a video store, movie not being there, getting something else and then having to return it the next day, and of course forgetting and getting hit with late fees.

Or missing my show and then having to pray that I can catch it on re runs during the summer. Don't remember re runs since now there is always new content year round?

Binge watch? Better hope you had 20 VHS tapes to tape all your shows, and god forbid the analogue tape inside get messed up or its gone.

I find it so funny when people complain about streaming services, this was the dream back in the day before the internet.

juliotendo

Netflix will be fine. They just have to keep their price in check and produce better quality content. A lot of what I see on their endless scrolling grid of content is low quality nonsense. They have a nice selection of quality shows but it’s not very large. They also rarely have decent movies or anything relevant from Hollywood that is recent, everything they have is somewhat dated.

$13.99 is what I pay monthly for their normal HD plan for 2 simultaneous streams and downloads. Anything above that I don’t think it is worth it based on the content.

HBO is $15 a month and I find their selection of films much much better and of course most of HBO shows are top notch.

Nothing Disney owns has much interest to me tbh, and Hulu isn't a thing in the UK (not sure about the rest of Europe). I have Amazon Prime & Netflix, as well as UK TV. I'm good.

Same here. Disney has a whole lot of content, just not much that really matters to me.

Plus, I'd never subscribe to anything Disney on principle alone.

somerset

Old Media bashing New Media, with the age old 'chicken little' trick.

Netflix's biggest issue is how they've allowed every has-been con artist from old Hollywood to take them for a ride.

Take Santa Monica Clarita Diet. A mediocre comedy that is a pale and poor-man's version of I-Zombie. Cheaply made by people who seemingly have never made TV before (poor sets, lighting, editing etc). Has a certain 'charm' cos of the leads- but my point is the show *should* have been ultra cheap to make save for the salaries of the leads.

Yet despite the cheap and nasty production of SCD, it was actually one of the most expensive sitcoms ever filmed. The production team took Netflix to the bank. Robbed Netflix blind. So Netflix had to cancel the show purely on budget concerns.

Same goes with almost every Netflix show. Hollywood hustlers robbing Netflix blind- Netflix paying 3-10 times the standard rate per hour for the budget of each format. Netflix could have made GOT (at least the earlier couple of seasons) for what SCD cost them.

But Netflix is learning. Slowly upskilling, so the rip-offs reduce. Learning to make stuff the audience actually wants, without spending the Earth doing so. And the myriad of new digital platforms all help Netflix look better- with a vastly more sustainable model.

We see the same play out as vile Epic tries to take on Valve and the Steam Store. Netflix, like Steam, may have some problems- but compared to the cynical greedy anti-consumer upstarts, Netflix looks god-sent.

Disney will rediscover that the *costs* of running its own distribution service eat all the potential profits and more. Disney gave up making its own computer games for the same reason.

Look how Apple was going to change this game. Then we discovered the old demon who runs Apple is so *insane* he has personally banned all non-U-rated Apple productions, and the U-rated stuff that is left has to be alt-left to the gills.

Truth is that Netflix has only clueless competitors, each of whom state *proudly* they'd never make a show like 'Sex Education'.

PS did AMD go bust? It, according to the 'experts' had the *same* debt 'problem.

bitbydeath

Disney is like HBO.
Sure it has a lot of good old content.
But if you want new content then Netflix is where it’s at and it doesn’t look like Disney are planning to invest in entertainment like Netflix does.

Super Mario

Banned
Netflix is just another tech bubble stock that gets huge multiples because it is tech. They are in huge debt and are losing another good chunk of content.

PSYGN

Considering a lot of the junk Disney has been putting out lately, it'll be at least a decade before they can even come close to sniffin Netflix's ass. Which coincides with their "estimated" subscriber numbers being completely in check with reality when they announced it.

The thing about Disney+ is most people have looked at it as a secondary service at best. Not an actual replacement of Netflix. Netflix has the advantage of dozens of networks/companies wanting their shows/movies on it (even when Netflix is trying to expand original content). Their un-original movie/show content is the greatest it's ever been. Plus they have tons of great original content (for every type of person). Disney has a target audience which only makes up for a small percentage of Netflix users & the type of shows/movies they watch.

Regarding Hulu, it's a joke in content compared to Netflix. Even if they combined Hulu into Disney+ (which they won't for financial reasons & separation), it still wouldn't make a difference. Unless Disney starts adding thousands & thousands of non-disney owned content so every person can enjoy it like Netflix, they won't ever compete/replace Netflix as the "main" service. I'm sure Disney+ will be a good service, but they'll just be another service add-on to coexist with Netflix. Netflix is the household name for streaming.

Fun facts:

Netflix owns 26% of global video streaming (even beating Youtube). Hulu is @ .4 for comparison.

Netflix already has 112 Emmy Nominations for its original content.

Netflix's largest demographic is 30-49.

Netflix has added nearly 20 million users in the past 15 months. Approaching 150 million users worldwide.

The average number of months a Netflix user has been subscribed for = 45 months.

Netflix prices fluctuate according to where you live. Turkey cost $3.27.

Disney+ won't be worldwide until late 2021.

Netflix-Most-often-users.png

Netflix-Users-Reason-in-subscribing.gif

Netflix-Global-Video-Streaming.jpg

Openload lol

Alfen Dave

everyone can complain about the streaming future, but if we travel back to the 90's or before and seeing what we have and the speed/availability it would blow our minds.

Sorry don't miss the days of going to a video store, movie not being there, getting something else and then having to return it the next day, and of course forgetting and getting hit with late fees.

Or missing my show and then having to pray that I can catch it on re runs during the summer. Don't remember re runs since now there is always new content year round?

Binge watch? Better hope you had 20 VHS tapes to tape all your shows, and god forbid the analogue tape inside get messed up or its gone.

I find it so funny when people complain about streaming services, this was the dream back in the day before the internet.

But we were more prone to go outside back then...which is good y know.

pramod

Banned
Disney is like HBO.
Sure it has a lot of good old content.
But if you want new content then Netflix is where it’s at and it doesn’t look like Disney are planning to invest in entertainment like Netflix does.

Maybe you haven't kept up with current events, but Disney+ is going to have a massive amount of new original MCU and Star Wars content.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Maybe you haven't kept up with current events, but Disney+ is going to have a massive amount of new original MCU and Star Wars content.

But what about variety? I want something from every genre in both TV and movie form spitting out multiple times a month.

That is what Netflix offers and Disney won’t come close.

Edit: Take thriller/horror genre for example.
This year on Netflix we’ve already had Santa Clarita and Slasher. This month Dark season 2 hits and soon after Stranger Things.

Disney would be lucky to produce a single horror/thriller title even with fox attached in a year, let alone dropping them out on a near monthly basis like Netflix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom