• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix alters the DEAL! no more basic...ads incoming

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Netflix axes its $10 ‘Basic’ plan in the US and UK​

Current subscribers can keep their Basic plan until they change their membership tier.​

Netflix has removed its $10 Basic tier option — the service's most affordable one that doesn't come with ads — in the US and the UK. The company has updated its Plans and Pricing page to say that new and rejoining members in the US and the UK will no longer be able to sign up for the Basic tier. Meanwhile, those already on the plan can keep their membership as is until they cancel or change their subscription. The streaming giant initially axed the tier in Canada, where users are typically the first to experience changes to the service. It was also one of the countries where Netflix started its password-sharing crackdown, which the company eventually implemented across the globe.

As Cord Busters notes, Netflix has been steering its audiences towards the Standard Ad-Supported plan for a while now and has previously made the Basic plan virtually invisible during sign-up. Now, the Basic plan truly no longer exists in some regions. Without it, users in the US and UK will have to pay at least $15.49 and £11 a month, respectively, if they don't want their streaming experience to be interrupted by ads. The Standard plan supports streaming on two devices at a time and can stream content in Full HD. It also allows users to download content for offline viewing on two devices and gives them the ability to add an extra member who doesn't live with them for an additional fee.

Still, the Basic option worked just fine for those who don't mind HD streaming on a single device, only want to download content on one phone or tablet and don't need to add an extra person to their account. If they don't want to pay over $5 more for a Standard plan, they now have to make do with the Standard Ad-Supported tier that costs $7 a month in the US and £5 in the UK. It supports Full HD streams and viewing on two devices at a time like the no-ads Standard plan, but it doesn't have offline viewing and the option to add a member. Subscribers can expect to see an average of 4 minutes of ads an hour at around 15 to 30 seconds each, which, of course, they cannot skip.

ADS....what a loser move.

flights ua GIF

Last edited:
I look forward to the moment these anti-consumer moves start biting netflix in the ass.

But they've been getting away with them and getting more and more confident. I just have to say that the current pricing is already nuts for the quality of the service. I can nearly pay for phone, tv and internet for a month with the "normal" netflix tier at this point.

Interfectum

I look forward to the moment these anti-consumer moves start biting netflix in the ass.

But they've been getting away with them and getting more and more confident. I just have to say that the current pricing is already nuts for the quality of the service. I can nearly pay for phone, tv and internet for a month with the "normal" netflix tier at this point.
They dominate the landscape.... where are consumers going to go? Peacock? lol

Netflix has the world by the balls and they know it.

A (constant) reminder, Netflix is also the only profitable streaming service that exists. Let that sink in when you think about what will happen to the rest of the streaming industry.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
1. Start a subscription service for an entertainment service and make people pay for that service so you subsidies it without having ads.

2. Revenue and profits eventually plateau so even though your company is making tons of profit each quarter the profit isn't "going up" which is a bad thing I guess

3. Put ads back in even though users already paid to remove ads.

4. Make people pay more not to have ads.

5. Eventually put ads in the higher tier etc.

Interfectum

1. Start a subscription service for an entertainment service and make people pay for that service so you subsidies it without having ads.

2. Revenue and profits eventually plateau so even though your company is making tons of profit each quarter the profit isn't "going up" which is a bad thing I guess

3. Put ads back in even though users already paid to remove ads.

4. Make people pay more not to have ads.

5. Eventually put ads in the higher tier etc.
Yup. Capitalism demands growth so once the subscriptions top out the squeeze begins. First it will be ads injected into all tiers, next will be charging users for early access to new content or for premium content, either ala carte or an even more expensive sub.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Outside of House of the Dragon I can’t think of a streaming show that’s actually been worth my time in recent memory. It’s hard to get myself invested in anything on Netflix when they’ll just cancel it or somehow ruin it. Wife made me cancel it a couple years ago and I haven’t felt like I’ve missed anything.

We Disney+ through our cell phone plan somehow and I couldn’t even make it through the last season of Mando. It’s mostly used on our iPad to keep the kids occupied for a bit when I’m WFH. Otherwise TV feels dead to me. I hardly even watch sports anymore after what the A’s ownership has done to the team.

In conclusion
YBtHqi5.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's clear that the streaming model is not sustainable. These motherfuckers killed blockbuster and now want us to pay for ads. gtfo.

i have never paid them a dime thanks to sharing my brothers account, but the moment they disallow that, im done. its pure trash anyway. the kids can read books.

Interfectum

If I didn't have a 7 year old I wouldn't have Netflix. I never use it but my kid does.

That being said I will pay more if necessary not to have ads. My son barely knows what ads are. I also dont have Hulu/Disney/Amazon Prime etc etc the only thing we have is Netflix.
I have three kids, all under 7, and they watch Netflix more than the others. Not even Disney+ kept their interest. Cancelled everything but Netflix as I don't watch much TV anymore, just gaming.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It's clear that the streaming model is not sustainable. These motherfuckers killed blockbuster and now want us to pay for ads. gtfo.

i have never paid them a dime thanks to sharing my brothers account, but the moment they disallow that, im done. its pure trash anyway. the kids can read books.
If I can't pay my way out of ads I'll probably cancel Netflix and just give my kids some Youtube time every once in a while.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If I can't pay my way out of ads I'll probably cancel Netflix and just give my kids some Youtube time every once in a while.
i think netflix and youtube are awful for kids anyway but im a lazy parent who cant be with them 24/7 so i allow it. However, its clear that the kids have been trained to find entertainment every second of the day. they cant sit in the car and just stare outside during a 15 minute drive. they dont have the attention span to read books for more than 15 minutes. they literally get bored playing outside.

i remember growing up with no access to tv until prime time when we were allowed to watch a tv show or two before the news came on. i had to find my own enjoyment. this constant entertainment on demand has made the kids lazy. i wish i was strong enough to ban ipads and netflix but if i am forced to do it due to netflix cracking down on password sharing or raising prices or adding ads then they would be doing me a favor.

Doczu

If I didn't have a 7 year old I wouldn't have Netflix. I never use it but my kid does.

That being said I will pay more if necessary not to have ads. My son barely knows what ads are. I also dont have Hulu/Disney/Amazon Prime etc etc the only thing we have is Netflix.
Same. We don't watch tv, so no ads there, we only stream (netflix, disney and prime). Oh and youtube premium for some edutainment stuff.

I would gladly say foodbye to Netflix, but there are some shows the kids love so... Fuck...

Fbh

Streaming slowly turning into cable, lol.

i think netflix and youtube are awful for kids anyway but im a lazy parent who cant be with them 24/7 so i allow it. However, its clear that the kids have been trained to find entertainment every second of the day. they cant sit in the car and just stare outside during a 15 minute drive. they dont have the attention span to read books for more than 15 minutes. they literally get bored playing outside.

i remember growing up with no access to tv until prime time when we were allowed to watch a tv show or two before the news came on. i had to find my own enjoyment. this constant entertainment on demand has made the kids lazy. i wish i was strong enough to ban ipads and netflix but if i am forced to do it due to netflix cracking down on password sharing or raising prices or adding ads then they would be doing me a favor.

And Netflix/Youtube isn't even the worst of it.
Stuff like TikTok and Instagram stories are further decreasing their attention span where any video longer than like a minute is already too long to stay focused on.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Thanks for the reminder that I need to cancel my subscription again. I renewed it for the Quarterback series and Drive to Survive, but I've already watched them.

This guarantees I'll never have a regular sub to the service again.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

DVDs bro…you can legitimately order 5,000 DVDs right now for a few hundred bucks. I left Netflix when they cracked down on password sharing and they have doubled their prices over the last 8 years, while literally adding 99% trash originals, and the good or halfway decent shows get cancelled anyway. I can honestly say I don’t miss it. I’m getting more enjoyment out of my Samsung tv Plus which is completely free if you have a Samsung Smart TV. Yea it has ads, but I’d rather deal with ads than feed a BS monster that does more harm than good for the industry and it’s consumers.

Outside of House of the Dragon I can’t think of a streaming show that’s actually been worth my time in recent memory. It’s hard to get myself invested in anything on Netflix when they’ll just cancel it or somehow ruin it. Wife made me cancel it a couple years ago and I haven’t felt like I’ve missed anything.

We Disney+ through our cell phone plan somehow and I couldn’t even make it through the last season of Mando. It’s mostly used on our iPad to keep the kids occupied for a bit when I’m WFH. Otherwise TV feels dead to me. I hardly even watch sports anymore after what the A’s ownership has done to the team.

In conclusion
YBtHqi5.gif
b9e.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

In conclusion
YBtHqi5.gif

Stranger Things and Lost in Space kept me coming back to Netflix

HoodWinked

I think the reason for this is because streaming quality and the longer term goal of raising prices. Standard with Ads was bumped from 720p up to 1080p couple months back.

Which left Basic as the only tier that capped at 720p. And if they bumped up Basic to 1080p it would just be the same as standard plan.

However this leaves a price gap in the $10 range so what will likely happen is the Standard with ads may get pushed up to $10.

tRHdQuS.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NF added 5M subs as per earnings report today. Long term, their password cut off strategy worked to get more subs. I wasnt sure if that would lead to a net loss or gain for subs. But they gained another 5M.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No-one here had the basic plan - let's not clutch our pearls too tightly.

If the ad tier had full content I'd sign up. It's actually quite a good deal. Sucks that Netflix charges a premium for 4K HDR.

They should just combine standard and 4K into one so all you gotta do is pick between ads and no ads.

This is the future of gaming subscriptions, by the way.
Thanks for telling us. We didn't know...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be honest I'm more concerned about the ways these service providers will try and lock people into their platforms through price-plan manipulation.

As in they continuously ratchet up the monthly cost, but hide the increases behind offering better rates for annual subscriptions. The model isn't about allowing people to dip-in and dip-out of their content, its about recurrent income after all.

Sure, but the thing is, if you take risks with your userbase, the userbase won't like dealing with you unless they really have to.

And what that means is that sooner or later, the sooner it's possible for it to happen, the userbase will bite you back. When that happens this company will have a much bigger tilt towards a huge crisis than it would have if it had a "cool company" ethos and feel.

Netflix is walking all the steps to jeopardise customer loyalty, service was expensive but justifiable because you were told you could share, when they hiked prices last year they could only justify that amount because you could share. Now you can't and they'll continue closing the line of making the service more expensive per person and charging for everything as well as control your location, soon you will have to book your vacations at work and on Netflix. Draconian doesn't go well with customers.

Microsoft, Facebook/Meta, Intel, Nvidia and other companies suffers from yeah they're good if they're on top, but customers are not loyal if there are alternatives. Customers will switch the moment it's advantageous for them, or even if the competition is competitive enough.

It's Netflix harping the thing about "hahaha, we did what should bag us negative users but a few suckers signed in regardless so we're growing instead of being punished", but I bet if Disney Plus, and specially HBO and Amazon Prime also liked to humble brag, it would be on the news that userbase has grown since Netflix went greedy.

And that's your ticket there for Netflix to have their ass handed back to them sometime. Eventually, Karma always caughts up to you. The thing is they're so eager to cash in now that I don't think they actually mind if the boat goes down.

Or rather if it goes down they'll just sell to Microsoft or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom