• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix alters the DEAL! no more basic...ads incoming

I'm not getting carried away. The issue is the damn ads. At least with cable I can DVR and skip the ads I keep getting forced to watch with these subs.
The biggest scam cable companies ever pulled was a DVR. Imagine having to DVR a digital video. How utterly and completely pointless. They charge you a fee for the service but you have to watch it when they want you to watch it. Want to watch it on your own time, pay an additional monthly fee to DVR your videos. Oh, want to pick what channels you want to watch, pay more. Cable is just a scam.

Doczu

The biggest scam cable companies ever pulled was a DVR. Imagine having to DVR a digital video. How utterly and completely pointless. They charge you a fee for the service but you have to watch it when they want you to watch it. Want to watch it on your own time, pay an additional monthly fee to DVR your videos. Oh, want to pick what channels you want to watch, pay more. Cable is just a scam.
Nah, cable is more like a relict from past times where streaming was not possible and all programs/series/films had to be set up based on demographics and viewership.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I use to pay $35 for youtube TV......it is now $75
wtf ? What do you get for that ?

The best deal wise for me was Freeview in the uk plus Netflix. Then all the free to air channels and their apps to watch and I would have entertainment I could want.

but then with the way it went Disney and Amazon get added. Prices go up.
Netflix demands more money. They start to lose some good shows or cancels things. Not into footy or many live sports so had all I needed.

But now
It’s honestly just too much hassle to try and watch all the latest hotness tv shows. Especially when there is a high chance after a few seasons it will get cancelled. Seems the content is getting to cookie cutter and designed not to offend and hit all demographics etc.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
wtf ? What do you get for that ?

It is a cable replacement. They just kept adding channels I don't care about and upping the price. I would prefer an à la carte approach where I pick my channels. I think it has 60 channels or so. A Bunch are stuff I don't care about.

I do like the Smithsonian channel.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It is a cable replacement. They just kept adding channels I don't care about and upping the price. I would prefer an à la carte approach where I pick my channels. I think it has 60 channels or so. A Bunch are stuff I don't care about.

I do like the Smithsonian channel.

Do they have any free to air cable or satellite or digital options ? Could do that and just look up docs online via YouTube Dailymotion or Vimeo

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I could do it.....my kids could do it..... My wife would not want to do that.
Season 3 Discovery GIF by Paramount+

Papa_Wisdom

Netflix has gone to shit. Pretty much nothing on it is interesting.

Prime isn’t much better. Either rubbish or you have to buy it

Both now have ads which make it worse.

I just mute the ads when they come on terrestrial tv I hate that verbal diarrhoea.

If they don’t respect the fact that I paid for a service by altering the deal I just go with “alternatives”

jufonuk

not tag worthy

I just mute the ads when they come on terrestrial tv I hate that verbal diarrhoea.

If they don’t respect the fact that I paid for a service by altering the deal I just go with “alternatives”
Happy One Piece GIF by NETFLIX

Bojji

Netflix, Prime, Peacock, Paramount+, HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and more. I’m paying cable money to watch all the shit I want to watch now. Fuck this. I got away from cable because it was too expensive and they were showing ads in my face constantly, and now these stupid services are doing the same thing. This is crap.

I only pay for Prime because it's peanuts where I live for a year sub. Crunchyroll can be good and relatively cheap but rest can just go fuck themselves.

Hardensoul

I disagree, they have foreign and anime that I watch. I watch a lot of Korean cinema and just have enough Anime to satiate my viewing appetite!

Papa_Wisdom

I disagree, they have foreign and anime that I watch. I watch a lot of Korean cinema and just have enough Anime to satiate my viewing appetite!
That great! Genuinely happy for you that you get what you want from the service. I know they invest a lot into there own anime series. I do wish they would get anime from the 80s-90s though, I much prefer that visual style over the more “simplistic” art style we get these days though! Never subscribed to crunchy roll do you know if they have a retro section for that kind of thing?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Netflix, Prime, Peacock, Paramount+, HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and more. I’m paying cable money to watch all the shit I want to watch now. Fuck this. I got away from cable because it was too expensive and they were showing ads in my face constantly, and now these stupid services are doing the same thing. This is crap.
My usual reminder that cable bills are often in the $200 -$300 a month range if you aren't moving around and getting the chance to be a 'new' subscriber.

Do you guys really pay for all this crap?
Hear me out. A TV with Google TV built in or a Google cast device. Plenty of free andorid apps with everything for free to install. And it works. I only pay for Fios internet $54.99 but if I can find a way to also have internet for free it will be great.

LordCBH

My usual reminder that cable bills are often in the $200 -$300 a month range if you aren't moving around and getting the chance to be a 'new' subscriber.

We threatened to leave every year to the one other company giving service in our area and they’d fall over themselves to give us discounts.

NickFire

Yes, but those packages include internet. When you factor in the base of internet and say Youtube TV, the value proposition of all streams is losing its shine.

Of course, even with cable I still pay for some streams anyway.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes, but those packages include internet. When you factor in the base of internet and say Youtube TV, the value proposition of all streams is losing its shine.

Of course, even with cable I still pay for some streams anyway.
DirectTV, just streaming over the internet (paid separate), limited channels, and with a deal was $70 a month. We dropped it basically instantly. That's what I mean you can get 5 or 6 different streaming services for the cost of a single low tier 'live' TV package that is mainly sped up law and order episodes so they can fit more commercials in. And you can drop streaming services in and out as you see fit, wait for deals, cut back to just one etc.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

glad i dumped netflix not too long ago.

they pump out mostly middling shit anyway and the competitive services (even disney, which is saying alot) offer better programming.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is the cost of getting nearly unlimited entertainment in a monthly subscription. Wait until you see what MS does with Game Pass in the next 5-6 years, especially if they start to dominate.
This is the future of gaming subscriptions, by the way.
Can't WAIT for that forced ad for feminine products to drop right in the middle of a boss battle!

I'm actually kinda surprised a game like Robocop: Rogue City didn't have actual product endorsements in it, even as a joke. Or trash like Fortnite, though I guess the endless microtransaction models don't really need ad support.

Reallink

A sucker is you
Traditional cable these days has nearly $35 in unadvertised tacked on fees alone (e.g local broadcasting fee, half dozen regulatory and FCC fees, etc...), so for those who want traditional TV, the cable streaming services are still half the price. Expanded basic packages are $120+ after all the bogus fees and taxes. Even the cable operators themselves are telling people to cancel TV, upgrade their internet, and switch Youtube or Hulu (not a joke, my aunt and uncle had me buy them a Roku and sub them to YT TV cause Mediacom retention CSRs suggested it to them).

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Can't WAIT for that forced ad for feminine products to drop right in the middle of a boss battle!

I'm actually kinda surprised a game like Robocop: Rogue City didn't have actual product endorsements in it, even as a joke. Or trash like Fortnite, though I guess the endless microtransaction models don't really need ad support.
Animation Logo GIF by JOSH HILL

Jayjayhd34

I'm not getting carried away. The issue is the damn ads. At least with cable I can DVR and skip the ads I keep getting forced to watch with these subs.

My tv provider in thw uk even stopped that and programed the box to not allow ad skipping on recorded content.

Papa_Wisdom

My tv provider in thw uk even stopped that and programed the box to not allow ad skipping on recorded content.
I especially hate watching catch up and having the same fucking 5 adverts on every ad break. Yes channel 5 I understand your sponsored by simba mattresses but I DONT FUCKING WANT ONE!

Hardensoul

That great! Genuinely happy for you that you get what you want from the service. I know they invest a lot into there own anime series. I do wish they would get anime from the 80s-90s though, I much prefer that visual style over the more “simplistic” art style we get these days though! Never subscribed to crunchy roll do you know if they have a retro section for that kind of thing?
Sorry, I’ve never subscribed to Crunchy Roll. I do miss the old Animes too. I already have Prime(bonus), Apple TV(slave to ecosystem 😂) and Netflix(main streamer). Prices been rising so I got rid of Max and Viki.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I especially hate watching catch up and having the same fucking 5 adverts on every ad break. Yes channel 5 I understand your sponsored by simba mattresses but I DONT FUCKING WANT ONE!

I still don't get why they don't do a no add pass itv x does it for 3.99

Cyberpunkd

I have all streaming services combined for like 35€. That being said they will probably send me the info a price of one channel is getting up, which I will then use to break the contract and subscribe from time to time.

Toots

Gold Member

Netflix axes its $10 ‘Basic’ plan in the US and UK​

Current subscribers can keep their Basic plan until they change their membership tier.​

ADS....what a loser move.

flights ua GIF
Your comparaison is so on point.
Big corpo is the Empire, meaning the Rebels are Antifa, which explain why they were so lame and ineffective in the movies.

nkarafo

2. Revenue and profits eventually plateau so even though your company is making tons of profit each quarter the profit isn't "going up" which is a bad thing I guess
I never understood this. You have a company and it does really well. You have good profits every year with your current strategies/policies. But no, that's not enough. You have to see that line go upwards all the time. Or maybe some other company makes more than you so you are No2. You don't like being No2, you got to be No1, right? So you change your strategies and policies and in the end you collapse.

It's like the people who control these things are bored of money, they have more than they will ever spend in their life anyway so now they see this as if it's a game that must be won.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I never understood this. You have a company and it does really well. You have good profits every year with your current strategies/policies. But no, that's not enough. You have to see that line go upwards all the time. Or maybe some other company makes more than you so you are No2. You don't like being No2, you got to be No1, right? So you change your strategies and policies and in the end you collapse.

It's like the people who control these things are bored of money, they have more than they will ever spend in their life anyway so now they see this as if it's a game that must be won.
It comes down to most investors being in it for the profit rather than the value of supporting a business they believe in.

The stock market is good for jump starting initiatives that are risky, but once those become stable businesses, the interests of shareholders and consumers begin to conflict.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It comes down to most investors being in it for the profit rather than the value of supporting a business they believe in.
That's what i thought. But it seems like they don't care about the stable profits, they care about bigger profits every time. They are willing to sacrifice their stable profits just so the next year they can be bigger and the next year after that they do the same. But simple math and logic suggests this isn't sustainable. At some point the profits can't be bigger. It's either the same or downhill from there. But they still want so hard to defy logic and math that they rather completely collapse than simply earn the same profits they earned the previous year.

At least that's how it looks to me in cases like this.

jason10mm

Gold Member

The stock market is good for jump starting initiatives that are risky, but once those become stable businesses, the interests of shareholders and consumers begin to conflict.
Streaming is a tricky beast since there is no guarantee of continued good product. Netflix (and all of them, really) are throwing money into projects that are all hit or miss. So they have 20 billion in development they gotta cover but all of that $$$ can't reliably buy the 4-5 massive hit shows they really need to keep subscribers between content bursts. Plus most of them now are "something for everyone" type deals that makes it even worse. Most of the kids programming is terrible low quality trash, why bother? They try to jam "4 quadrant" appeal into EVERY project and it just ends up a mess instead of more niche specific stuff that has a high resonance with a defined demographic that creates subscriber loyalty even if the total pool is smaller.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Streaming is a tricky beast since there is no guarantee of continued good product. Netflix (and all of them, really) are throwing money into projects that are all hit or miss. So they have 20 billion in development they gotta cover but all of that $$$ can't reliably buy the 4-5 massive hit shows they really need to keep subscribers between content bursts. Plus most of them now are "something for everyone" type deals that makes it even worse. Most of the kids programming is terrible low quality trash, why bother? They try to jam "4 quadrant" appeal into EVERY project and it just ends up a mess instead of more niche specific stuff that has a high resonance with a defined demographic that creates subscriber loyalty even if the total pool is smaller.
Some companies are better than others at producing consistently high quality entertainment. However the approach taken by many companies in the U.S. is often too shortsighted. Hollywood suffers from this problem too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom