• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

I don't believe for a second that Ferrari was able to close the gap.

Not after the nonsense the team went through last year.

I can believe Ferrari built a great car, but I'll also expect them to fall off during the year.

I just want one team, any team, there challenging Mercedes on legit pace. No flukey wins due to merc mistakes or equipment failures.

Zaru

I think I need to look over last years pre-season thread because I feel like the hype was exactly the same
So many headlines could be copy-pasted from last year, word for word.
I have no doubt that Ferrari has made a bigger step than Mercedes relative to last year, but the latter just needs to stay ahead in qualifying to profit from the difficulty of following, and that would seal in the results.
Plus I see Red Bull being much stronger in the long-term development race than Ferrari and they're more likely to steal points from Ferrari than from Mercedes.

I can't wait for next week, when everyone's disappointment slowly sets in. Ferrari is not good enough to challenge Mercedes on pace alone. Period.

We already have it from way back in this thread.

|OT| Honda and shame are huge parts of it
That's the one. Also, please post the OT in OT and not the community forum.

Believe me when I say take Marc Gene with a grain of salt, the guy did pit reporting for F1 Channel latin america and after every FP the dude said that now this time Ferrari has closed the gap to Merc, only to be made to look a fool in qualifying and race, all through 2016.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why do Ferrari fans do this to themselves every year?

image.php

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Why do Ferrari fans do this to themselves every year?
I'm nowhere near a Ferrari fan and I honestly think they've got a shot st Melbourne.

They'll not finish the season fastest but honestly I believe this car is properly quick and Mercedes haven't unlocked their cars potential yet.
Yet, because they will.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Believe me when I say take Marc Gene with a grain of salt, the guy did pit reporting for F1 Channel latin america and after every FP the dude said that now this time Ferrari has closed the gap to Merc, only to be made to look a fool in qualifying and race, all through 2016.

Not really that much different from what the British media were doing throughout the Vettel/red bull years.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
All Mercedes powered teams will use 'Spec 2' engine in Melbourne, despite concerns about reliability. (Motorsport)

Mercedes team did use it on the last test, but it is unknown how hard they had pushed it - it is quite possible that they ran in more conservative mode.

Ark

Meh I don't think it's that good, but if the masses want it.

EDIT: The more i think about it the more i like it. Never mind :D

That's the one. Also, please post the OT in OT and not the community forum.

I do this with every single OT, it's a stupid mod that moves it over. Which I've always fucking hated given that TV show OT's are allowed to reside in the main OT. Anyway, if they move it this time I'm going to spam them all with abuse until I get banned.

I do this with every single OT, it's a stupid mod that moves it over. Which I've always fucking hated given that TV show OT's are allowed to reside in the main OT. Anyway, if they move it this time I'm going to spam them all with abuse until I get banned.

Honestly they're doing us all a favour. The quality of discussion takes a steep nosedive every time an F1 thread remains in OT.

tonka

Honestly they're doing us all a favour. The quality of discussion takes a steep nosedive every time an F1 thread remains in OT.
Well when one of the main problems the sport as a whole has is attracting new fans, hiding away in a little box I think is a bad thing.

And yes, F1 is a 20 episode TV show as opposed to the sort of stuff that has twenty games weekly in dozens of countries, let it be in regular old OT

TCRS

Banned
Not really that much different from what the British media were doing throughout the Vettel/red bull years.

I keep forgetting that Vettel is a four time champion lol. Remember when Schumi won the fourth tile? 'Holy shit, closed up to Alain Prost and only Fangio in front of him!' was a huge deal. Vettel? eh..

1126.gif

brilliant

If the mods move us to Community, we can always create a race specific OT in the OT. They can't move that to the Community, since I have seen a lot of individual sporting events threads in the off topic.

Ark

As DBT said, that happens when people forget how to discuss things in a civil manner.

Moving us to OT totally stifles any discussion and the thread dies a very boring death.

If the mods move us to Community, we can always create a race specific OT in the OT. They can't move that to the Community, since I have seen a lot of individual sporting events threads in the off topic.

This is a possibility, but it's totally fucking brain dead given that TV shows get to stay in OT. It also just separates discussion between multiple threads and imo creates more problems than it solves.

Tubie

I always thought the F1 community to be pretty chill honestly.

The level of discourse here should not be a problem, sure there's some banter, but it's mostly in silly jest at its worst.

Mobius 1

Fucking perfection.

This is another Mercedes shitshow season, isn't it? I can't believe that after a lifelong dedication to following this sport, I'm losing interest with this intensity. :(

BigAl1992

I always thought the F1 community to be pretty chill honestly.

The level of discourse here should not be a problem, sure there's some banter, but it's mostly in silly jest at its worst.

On here, the F1 Community is generally ok, as it's mostly just banter and cheers/tears on how the race pans out. It's on social media that things get really toxic. I know fan rivalry is all part of sport and F1 is No exception, but the Lewis/Nico fan rivalry on Facebook last year in particular was as toxic as a fucking warhead filled with sarin gas. I never, ever, ever want to see that again.

Zaru

On here, the F1 Community is generally ok, as it's mostly just banter and cheers/tears on how the race pans out. It's on social media that things get really toxic. I know fan rivalry is all part of sport and F1 is No exception, but the Lewis/Nico fan rivalry on Facebook in particular was as toxic as a fucking warhead filled with sarin gas. I never, ever, ever want to see that again.
Everytime I happen to stumble upon F1-related comments on Facebook, a little part of me dies. Wildest conspiracy theories, highly heated rhetoric, just terrible behaviour in general.

A week from now the Honda beast will finally be unleashed.

Nailed it!

These vibrating piston popping action car destroying stories are bullshit.

Hasegawa laid out all their testing troubles to the Japanese journos:

- unusual oil tank shape. shaped like a circlip to avoid the compressor, minor mistake made to inlet port

- dead cylinder caused by valvetrain electrical fault, non reoccurring

- drivability and power not at required levels

- harsh upshifts

- non PU issues, electrics cutting out when car hits the kerbs, water leak, oil leak (gearbox), battery issue

Have implemented reliability fixes and continue improve drivability and power output for Australia.

---/

Both McLarens will qualify in the top six and score points 😎

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
McLaren: about to qualify in the top six the next race for three years in a row now.

Tubie

Nailed it!

- unusual oil tank shape. shaped like a circlip to avoid the compressor, minor mistake made to inlet port

- harsh upshifts

- non PU issues, electrics cutting out when car hits the kerbs, water leak, oil leak (gearbox), battery issue

Have implemented reliability fixes and continue improve drivability and power output for Australia.

---/

jesus fucking christ lol

BigAl1992

Nailed it!

- harsh upshifts

---/

Surejan.gif

Dilly

Banned
Nailed it!

- harsh upshifts

---/

So this is what brain damage looks like.

Nailed it!

- harsh upshifts

---/

VgWtvvA.gif

Spladam

Nailed it!

- harsh upshifts

---/

pfst.... That's it? Easy fix.

Arsenal fans innit.

Yep that's the beauty.

I love that to anyone on GAF whos into F1 it means something, to anyone outside its just weird.

Worse than Arsenal fans... lol

As an Arsenal fan, I take offense to this. I only said "THIS IS THE YEAR" five times before I gave up :D
T_T
. Friendly Ferrari reminder; Ferrari's last championship was 2008 with everyone's favorite driver

Late last season we ended up having specific threads for each race. It was a chore trying to make sure I kept the threads separate. We've flown under the radar with this preseason thread so hopefully the OT stays on the main forum

This is a possibility, but it's totally fucking brain dead given that TV shows get to stay in OT. It also just separates discussion between multiple threads and imo creates more problems than it solves.

I agree with you. But I guess we'll have to do it if the mods leave us no option. Don't we have a moderator in F1Gaf? Can't he/she do something about this.

I'm wondering how far McHonda will go this season before eating penalties

My main beef with community was that we ended up with separate threads for races in the main forum. Which was annoying. I generally check my subs when I log into GAF so I'd try talking about the race but then have to find the race thread which was in a different forum

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
As a newbie around here, let's say I wanted to make an OT of something. Is there like a process for that? Do I have to contact a mod or can I just create a thread? And are they usually in the community section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom