• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One Season 2021 | OT | Welcome to the Pirhana Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this qualy session is anything to go by, it looks like McLaren, Ferrari and Alpha Tauri have all made significant gains this year, they've closed the gap to Red Bull and Mercedes.

Tempted to make bets that Gasly is going to beat Butt-ass in the standings by the end of the year.

xrnzaaas

If this qualy session is anything to go by, it looks like McLaren, Ferrari and Alpha Tauri have all made significant gains this year, they've closed the gap to Red Bull and Mercedes.

Tempted to make bets that Gasly is going to beat Butt-ass in the standings by the end of the year.
Didn't Bottas say he's finally going to beat Lewis this year? ;)

Makariel

200.gif

I was halfway expecting Lewis to just drive a second faster than anyone else in Q3 but Max managed a fantastic lap. Let's hope RBR keeps it up all year. Alpha Tauri looking really good as well, even the Ferraris managed to get into Q3!

Also, old man Alonso snuck in at P9. A few unlucky with yellow flags thanks to MazeSpin.

Makariel

Cyril left for reasons that are only known to those inside Renault, it appears the departure was not planned since it took them a while to announce the new management. Some say it's just so that Riccardo forgets about the tattoo.

New season, new memes:

50F39kK.jpg

ErIj9IH.png

edit: Renault is obviously the burning ship in the background ;)

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Really hoping Redbull giving some challenge to Merc.
2020 driver rank #3 and #4 both in the same team gives me hope against Merc constructors.

StonedRider

Several spins in practices, two spins in both qualifying attempts, and spin in third turn of the first lap. Great start of the season, Nikita!

SkylineRKR

Max was faster, but he was alone. Perez though was very good. Its bad luck that his car didn't start. Otherwise he did a terrific job. He could've done something about the undercut stategy if he had no issues at the start.

As for Lewis, he constantly cheated at the corner and got away with. Max essentially did the same once when he overtook but he would've gotten 5 seconds for sure. This is odd.

On the flip side, Red Bull showed better pace than Mercedes. They're closing in. Hamilton had to fight,and would've lost the race if Max didn't go outside.

Fox Mulder

Max was faster, but he was alone. Perez though was very good. Its bad luck that his car didn't start. Otherwise he did a terrific job. He could've done something about the undercut stategy if he had no issues at the start.

As for Lewis, he constantly cheated at the corner and got away with. Max essentially did the same once when he overtook but he would've gotten 5 seconds for sure. This is odd.

On the flip side, Red Bull showed better pace than Mercedes. They're closing in. Hamilton had to fight,and would've lost the race if Max didn't go outside.

Even with Hamilton admitting on radio to ignoring limits doing whole race, you still can’t expect to get away with it to overtake for the lead. Hamilton defended masterfully with older tires at a track with a huge DRS advantage and with the redbull being better in the middle sector. Verstappen could have chosen a better spot to give the position back to not cost him so much.

The season looks great if they’re really this close.

Last edited:
Once the first 5 lap mess was out of the way, it turned into a good race. I'm disappointed that Max bodged the pass and then started over driving, though at least he stands a good chance this year.

Chuffed that Tsunado scored points in his first F1 race.

Makariel

mv36x2awctp61.png

The next race will be a very different circuit. I'm curious to see how much the low-rake cars (Merc, Aston) suffer on that track versus Bahrain. Yesterday you could have asked Otmar Szafnauer what he had for breakfast and he'd show you on his laptop how the new rules are unfairly affecting his team.

Mohonky

I was having an anxiet attack the whole of the last 10 laps, I don't think I can take a full season like this.

I've had to watch this now as I couldn't watch it live; to say Lewis won I am stunned. Even 3 laps from the end I was convinced Verstappen was taking it. The RB is definitely the faster more stable car right now and you know Max is fast.

Hamilton and Max are just a different class to their team mates. This season is going to kill me I swear, I really want Hamilton to take an 8th title, but this year I dunno, I feel like it was a combination of Hamilton getting a bit lucky with the track limits on Verstappens overtake....but yeh, Merc def have their work cut out this time.

Other thoughts;

Tsunoda - this kids gonna be good. He might be the smallest dude out there but man the balls on him to race like that in his first race. I think Gasly is gonna struggle against him.

Mazespin - I can't even. Anytime someone gives Stroll shit for having daddy money, he just needs to point to Mazepin. Least Stroll did well in jnr formulas and he has been reasonable on track if unremarkable, but Mazespin, I've never seen someone exact a race so fast by their own volition.

Vettel - I like the guy but mate....just awful. It's kind of getting sad now.

Alonso - the opposite of Vettel, you keep wondering how long he is gonna keep turning up for but the dude can drive. I was really impressed by his qualifying and his race craft. Dudes clearly still got it, whether he ever gets a car that has it though, is doubtful.

Norris - excellent race, dude is definitely McLarens future.

Ferrari - far less shit than expected, not Merc or RB level but back up there, gonna be a good fight with McLaren

Jezbollah

Oooooh glad to be here folks.

Was a good first race. Wanted Max to stick the overtake on Hamilton. Red Bull really ballsed up not reacting to the undercut. This will be a good kick up the arse for them.

Have to say while I was disappointed RB didnt give Albon longer, Perez had another blinder. Up to P5 from pit lane is no fucking joke.

I'm a McLaren fan - but I have to say I was a little disappointed with Danny Ric's race. Lando put some manners on him.

Gutted for Gasly.

Lots of really good threads started after yesterday. Why do we need to wait three weeks for Imola?

xrnzaaas

Oooooh glad to be here folks.

Was a good first race. Wanted Max to stick the overtake on Hamilton. Red Bull really ballsed up not reacting to the undercut. This will be a good kick up the arse for them.

Have to say while I was disappointed RB didnt give Albon longer, Perez had another blinder. Up to P5 from pit lane is no fucking joke.

I'm a McLaren fan - but I have to say I was a little disappointed with Danny Ric's race. Lando put some manners on him.

Gutted for Gasly.

Lots of really good threads started after yesterday. Why do we need to wait three weeks for Imola?
I mean I understand what RBR are trying to do. They want 2 drivers capable of fighting for top positions (even if Max will always be the one on top). Both Gasly and Albon were struggling to overtake people, likely due to the fact that the car didn't suit them. It's not a coincidence that Gasly started driving brilliantly back at Toro Rosso / Alpha Tauri and that RBR don't want to give him a second chance. Picking Checo is a different tactic. We'll see after a few races if it was a good one. Making his way from the back to P5 was definitely a good achievement and he deserved the driver of the race award.

Last edited:

StonedRider

Mazespin - I can't even. Anytime someone gives Stroll shit for having daddy money, he just needs to point to Mazepin. Least Stroll did well in jnr formulas and he has been reasonable on track if unremarkable, but Mazespin, I've never seen someone exact a race so fast by their own volition.
Stroll is a saint compared to Mazepin. Probably Mazepin has some talent, but he's too impatient for F1, he's more suited for touring cars championship. But we'll see, I'd wait 3-4 races until writing him off completely.

Vettel - I like the guy but mate....just awful. It's kind of getting sad now.
Yeah, rookie mistake, but he's a 4 times world champion! And immediately after crash he's starting to whine about Ocon changing trajectory under braking. No, Seb, sorry, but you should've learned from your former teammate Leclerc how to say honest "I'm stupid" after fucking shit up like this.

Fox Mulder

I mean I understand what RBR are trying to do. They want 2 drivers capable of fighting for top positions (even if Max will always be the one on top). Both Gasly and Albon were struggling to overtake people, likely due to the fact that the car didn't suit them. It's not a coincidence that Gasly started driving brilliantly back at Toro Rosso / Alpha Tauri and that RBR don't want to give him a second chance. Picking Checo is a different tactic. We'll see after a few races if it was a good one. Making his way from the back to P5 was definitely a good achievement and he deserved the driver of the race award.

Redbull need the second car up front to help cover strategies against the two Mercs if they really want to challenge for the title. The Honda engine looks great now and Perez should even be able to challenge for wins himself.

xrnzaaas

Yeah it's very annoying how they put radio messages (or even stupid garage sounds) whenever they want. Even more annoying than the fake commentator.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

This feels like a long 3 weeks between the races.
I haven't seen Drive to Survive yet but this still had a chuckle out of me:

A long wait after a great first race. Normally we lead of with a boring ass Australia parade. We would have already had the Chinese GP, but it got postponed for some reason.

StonedRider

A long wait after a great first race. Normally we lead of with a boring ass Australia parade. We would have already had the Chinese GP, but it got postponed for some reason.
And now we'll have a boring ass Imola parade. I hope I'm wrong, but I hate this track, it's narrow and boring. And I will always remember Senna fatal crash here. I've stopped watching F1 for couple of years after it.

I'd prefer they replace it with Mugello, we had the fun race last year.

TTOOLL

I'm hyped for this weekend! Also, I just finished Drive to Survive S3 and I didn't like the format at all. They should do it in chronological order, lots of races appeared repetitively. I got bored. Oh, it's Monza again!

StonedRider

First spin on the first fast lap of the session, and another on the last lap.

I hope, Steiner included a special clause in Mazepin contract, where he can demand payments from Uralkali for every crash. Otherwise, it could be financially disastrous year for Haas.

Fox Mulder

It’s funny because his a rich Russian douche, but the Haas is a shitbox that they aren’t even upgrading this year and he’s probably over driving it. Schumacher spun at the first race too.

Lewis has always had awful fashion choices, even Jeremy Clarkson is a better dresser.

"Hey Lewis, how do you want your new outfit to look, any particular colours or patterns?"
"I wanna rock that discount store dish cloth look, make an outfit out of those"

U6de082521dc1460e9925ffba4884067aO.jpg

SPORT-PREVIEW-Lewis-Hamilton-Outfit.jpg

StonedRider

I think, Lewis missed his childhood and all high school parties because of his early racing career and desperately trying to catch up.

About Mazepin - yeah, it's too early to write him off, let's wait for 3-4 races, but it's funny indeed.

Jorav

Should be an exciting qualifying and race as grid position is key here, but they've increased the length of the DRS on the main straight, so lets how we go

Last edited:

StonedRider

Should be an exciting qualifying and race as grid position is key here, but they've increased the length of the DRS on the main straight, so lets how we go

I don't know your definition of exciting race, but if grid position is key here because the track is shit and does not have places to overtake, it's the opposite of "exciting" for me. Max suggested to add second DRS zone, because drivers lose many time behind leading car in the last two corners, and DRS does not compensate it much. I hope they will do something next year because this track returns in the calendar for several years at least. For information, we had just six overtakes here last year.

Again, I hope this year will be different and we'll have plenty of overtakes and exciting strategic battles in Sunday, but reality will be cruel and the race will be boring as hell. Also, looks like both Mercedes have found the pace, and that does not add to my excitement.

Jorav

I don't know your definition of exciting race, but if grid position is key here because the track is shit and does not have places to overtake, it's the opposite of "exciting" for me. Max suggested to add second DRS zone, because drivers lose many time behind leading car in the last two corners, and DRS does not compensate it much. I hope they will do something next year because this track returns in the calendar for several years at least. For information, we had just six overtakes here last year.

Again, I hope this year will be different and we'll have plenty of overtakes and exciting strategic battles in Sunday, but reality will be cruel and the race will be boring as hell. Also, looks like both Mercedes have found the pace, and that does not add to my excitement.

My excitement is from the fact the midfield seems to be closer than last year so qualy sets the precedent of getting a perfect lap in, plus F1 is back so win win. I'm not a fan of DRS as its assisted overtake, but given the width of the cars it isn't exactly easy to overtake.

StonedRider

My excitement is from the fact the midfield seems to be closer than last year so qualy sets the precedent of getting a perfect lap in, plus F1 is back so win win. I'm not a fan of DRS as its assisted overtake, but given the width of the cars it isn't exactly easy to overtake.
Yeah, here I agree with you, close midfield provides interesting qualy.

I don't like DRS too, but it's the necessary evil with current cars, maybe something will change in 2022.

xrnzaaas

I had no idea that Yuki would be bringing entertainment to radio messages. He looks like a typical quiet Japanese dude at first glance.

xrnzaaas

A shame for Yuki. Seeing Checo ahead of Max is surprising and it's nice knowing they'll (hopefully) be pressuring Hamilton during the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom