• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza franchise proves Xbox can compete with console exclusivity and still find success.

No other IP have has been able to go toe to toe with the likes of Gran Turismo in the console space.

No matter where you fall in which is the best, having competition give us the gamers, games.

Both IPS show off the full power of their parent console. Shows off different approach to the same genre.

But why is that same competition in having exclusive variants in othergames genre now a taboo?

Final fantasy before Phantasy Star
Mario begot Sonic.

Even outside of gaming, exclusive content is nessassary. There is content you can get on HBO+ that you can't on Disney+ and vis versa.

Is it such a taboo to want Xbox to have its own exclusive catalog of games in every genre?

bender

What time is it?
Is it such a taboo to want Xbox to have its own exclusive catalog of games in every genre?
200w.gif

Gojiira

The fuck are you talking about? Its Xbox themselves that say they cant compete…Gamers only care about the competition leading to GOOD games consistently and that is the issue with Xbox…

The other issue is with Xbox going out of its way to buy publishers with very similar games, its going to just oversaturate its own library especially since so many will play very similarly too…

tusharngf

forza horizon definitely can but they have 25-plus studios. Other studio needs to put some games with 90% Metacritic rating.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No other IP have has been able to go toe to toe with the likes of Gran Turismo in the console space.

No matter where you fall in which is the best, having competition give us the gamers, games.

Both IPS show off the full power of their parent console. Shows off different approach to the same genre.

But why is that same competition in having exclusive variants in othergames genre now a taboo?

Final fantasy before Phantasy Star
Mario begot Sonic.

Even outside of gaming, exclusive content is nessassary. There is content you can get on HBO+ that you can't on Disney+ and vis versa.

I don't think I've said "Wat?" more times while reading an OP.

Robb

Gold Member
So does Halo, Fable, Gears of War etc.

Problem is MS has just mismanaged all of their prior heavy hitters to the point of irrelevance while simultaneously failing to create new widely popular IP’s.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Lol. Plenty of Xbox exclusives are successful.

It's just. They are not as successful according to NeoGAF metrics. Which is pure sales.

Anybody who can tell me with straight face that games like Grounded, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Starfield, Age of Empires IV, Sea of Thieves etc are not successful is smoking something.

Lol. Plenty of Xbox exclusives are successful.

It's just. They are not as successful according to NeoGAF metrics. Which is pure sales.

Anybody who can tell me with straight face that games like Grounded, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Starfield, Age of Empires IV, Sea of Thieves etc are not successful is smoking something.
It really depends what metric you want to take into consideration.
Sales? Lifetime Players? Monthly Players? Critics Reviews? User Reviews? Ability to boost subscription service users? Ability to boost console sales? Number of awards? Number of nominations?.
My point is, we can choose pretty much any game and metric and call it was a success or failure based on that.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Sales? Lifetime Players? Monthly Players? Critics Reviews? User Reviews? Ability to boost subscription service users? Ability to boost console sales? Number of awards? Number of nominations?.
Yup.
Sea of Thieves is great example. People laughed at that game during release, but I would not be surprised if that game made a lot more money since release as some "successful" and "best selling" PlayStation exclusive. And it's without a doubt most successful Rare game.
Grounded was developed by 20 people. Did it broke sales metrics? Nope. But it didn't need to considering production cost and ROI on that game is probably great.

My point is, we can choose pretty much any game and metric and call it was a success or failure based on that.
You forgot engagement 🤔

Godot25

Banned
Name metrics that are not sales then: how much profit the game generates, how many GP subscribers it won over, how many of them stayed with GP afterwards. You don’t have those numbers, it’s almost like MS is hiding them for come reason idk.
Since Microsoft is releasing all their games in sub service day one, you clearly can't just look at sales number and decide if game was successful or not. Everybody who is saying otherwise is stupid.

Metrics you provide are exactly the metrics Microsoft is looking for with their first-party releases in addition to sales. How many people subscribed to Game Pass because of X game? How many months those people stayed subscribed? That's exactly why their goal is at least 1 big first-party game per quarter. Data is probably telling them that this is cadence to sustain subscribers or growing service.

I agree that Microsoft should me more straightforward with some of the metrics, but that doesn't excuse dumb people on internet claiming "XYZ game is not successful" if they don't have clear picture. It's as stupid as trying to claim if Gran Turismo 7 is successful or not without at least fraction of data from Sony.

Hell. We have hard numbers that Forza Horizon 5 exceeded 35 million players, Steam sales data estimation are available and there are still people who try to claim that game is not successful because Microsoft won't provide actual sales despite them knowing that Microsoft is just not providing sales data for their games because they are not painting full picture.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Like this thread reads like an insecure young fan that can't comprehend the issues.

It doesn't help that it reads rather poorly.

Top Bottom