• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 |OT| Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?

Series S, Performance Mode:

PTiVjME.jpg

ephg9PT.jpg

XoByHd9.jpg

1265DoZ.jpg

fihLZFE.jpg

suOp0rn.jpg

JHaPXgn.jpg

Bkdk

I'll drive up north to the northern border of mexico to see if MS is really setting the stage in mexico. I bet the border is more crowded than New york.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Kilau

Gold Member
Did DF or anyone else give the PC equivalent settings for Series X quality? Curious to see if I can match it and hold it 60fps.

DaGwaphics

Did DF or anyone else give the PC equivalent settings for Series X quality? Curious to see if I can match it and hold it 60fps.

DF is saying PC Ultra with some settings pushing up to PC Extreme, they don't give a slider by slider run down though.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Dunno what it is about this version versus the other one, but I have finally found (other than BURNOUT PARADISE) a racing game that I actually like. I've tried to get into them (my disastrous experience with GT still haunts me) but usually just admire the graphics, enjoy the first newbie races and then tap out once it gets a bit more difficult.

. . .this one though I've been replaying races on higher difficulties or assists, and enjoying the thrill of coming in first (on Novice Racer mode, let's not get all ahead of ourselves in excitement). I've also kept the radio on the classical music channel because the DJ there is less annoying than the others.

Is it possible to opt out of the cars, credits and house bonuses from the Premium Edition? I want to play early but still start from scratch and work myself upwards without boosting the progression?

I feel like you can sell any of them. Or put them on the AH for like nothing if you want to help someone (turn a profit).

Catphish

Just want to chime in with my experience so far.

PC, i9 10900k (stock), 32GB RAM, 3080. Runs at Extreme graphics preset (actually a couple of ticks above for a couple of settings) at 4K, 60FPS, no drops. Obviously, graphically, the game is nothing short of stunning. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The only thing I can think of that comes close is RDR2.

However, I was struggling with the gameplay at first because I wanted to use my wheel, a Thrustmaster TS-PC with TH8A shifter, but could not keep the friggin car, any car, on the goddamned road. I would take a turn, come off the gas, and careen straight off the damn track, time after time. Also, my shifter has 7 speeds + R, and different cars have different transmissions, with different speeds, and keeping track of what had what was a pain in the ass. Some even had more than 7 speeds, which meant I'd need to use sequential shifting for those. Do not want. It was all so frustrating that I disconnected the wheel altogether and played with controller. That was fun enough, but not what I wanted, and not what I bought the game for.

Today, I went back to the lab and found the sweet spot. In the Thrustmaster app, I set my wheel radius to 360 degrees, and set the steering type in-game back to Standard (I had originally put it on Simulation), leaving the in-game steering sensitivity at default. MUCH better. Also, I found that in the garage, you can install a 7-speed trans in any car, which means I can adapt any car to my shifter.

So now, I'm absolutely loving the game. Been playing most of the morning and having an absolute blast. I have drivatar difficulty at Above Average, and the challenge level for my setup feels just about perfect. From :messenger_angry: to :messenger_beaming: in 3 easy steps.

That's it. I'm off. Cheers. 👍

Kilau

Gold Member
Everyone else having connection issues? PC or Series X the game never stays connected if it connects at all. Didn’t have this problem Thursday or Friday.

Reactions: Isa
I knew I shouldn't have watched that 'hyperbolic' Digitial Foundry tech analysis video...

... because I ended up buying the game last night even though I was adamant that I wouldn't and would instead pick it up at a later date and a lower price instead. Ahem. What can I say but "I am weak"?

Anyway, on my ageing 2013 PC with an i7-4770K at 4 GHz, 16 GB of DDR 1600Hz memory and a 4-year old GTX 1080 Ti the game's benchmark defaulted to the Ultra preset at 1440p and returned an average framerate of 72 fps. However, I maxed the settings, which included ray-tracing on High (!!!???), MSAA set to 4X and FXAA, and re-ran the benchmark after the usual game restart (*sigh* is this really necessary on PC?) and it returned an average of 54 fps. That is obviously less than the ideal 60 fps but still surprisingly good considering the age of the hardware. I ended up capping the game at 45 fps using RTSS as the game has no framerate cap and the refresh rate option seems bugged (on my PC it defaulted to 165 Hz but only offered 330 Hz and 660 Hz as alternatives!!!). Thanks to G-SYNC, this resulted in a game that is about 99.8% stable with only the odd stutter here and there, most noticeably during the 30 fps cinematic transitions during the opening tutorial sections where you switch between different vehicles separated by pre-rendered high quality 4K video sequences.

The game itself is good as expected if you've played any of the previous games but it is very, very familiar. The HUD and menus are pretty much identical to Forza Horizon 4 with tweaks to things like the Garage where you access your vehicles and so on. It plays like a re-skin of the last game and while the visuals are very nice, I don't think they are as much as a leap as others are making out. For example, even on the Extreme settings there is very noticeable draw in of grass and foliage as well as shadows which kind of make the game engine feel a little dated, at least in my opinion. The quality of the car models, the textures and the overall environmental detail is impressive but the change of location from the UK to a semi-tropical setting makes it difficult to quantify if this is a big leap visually over the last game. I cannot remember the last time I played an ugly looking racing game so at this point I kind of expect them to look good so it's hard to be that impressed by what I'm seeing. This is what I would expect from a 2021 racing game and if anything the visible draw in of shadows and grass is kind of a letdown. Also, the lack of temporal anti-aliasing means that mid-to-distant objects suffer from noticeable shimmering that even 8xMSAA plus FXAA cannot hide. You can see very obvious aliasing right at the start on the bonnet (hood) of the vehicle that drops out of the plane during the opening tutorial section!

Also, the game has several bugs and annoyances. For one, the mouse cursor remains visible on-screen all the time for me even though there is a setting that is supposed to hide the mouse pointer after a period of inactivity in the settings! And I've already mentioned that lack of a framerate cap and the buggy refresh rate option (does anyone have a 330Hz or 660Hz display, I wonder?).

Secondly, the replay camera is still absolutely awful. There's the usual game cameras plus a selection of dull angles from different positions around the vehicle (front, rear, topdown, side etc etc), including some that rotate or fly-by etc They have not changed from the previous games which is disappointing. There's no action or TV style camera like you see in the Gran Turismo games. This game's replays feel very static and dull and lack the dynamic ones you see in other racing sims. This is an area where even Turn 10's Forza Motorsport franchise pales in comparison to the Sony legend that is Gran Turismo which manages to make replays addictive to watch. At least in my opinion.

Finally, the game throws vehicles at you at an alarming pace that it feels overwhelming. I accumulated some 22 cars in the space of 15 minutes, I kid you not, and I only bought/earned two of them. The rest were unlocks from the Premium Edition and rewards from having played the previous games. I guess this isn't a criticism for some but I prefer to earn vehicles at a gradual rate so I can try them out as I get them.
Is the Series X gpu more powerful than the 1080ti? If so I can't get behind the idea that this is some masterpiece on Series X. Series X performance mode is not turning out max settings and uses DRS dropping to 1600p. Why couldn't 1440p/max settings be pulled off on series x like your 4 yr old aging hardware?

Finally I get to play this game... it was my brother's brother's birthday yesterday so I was stuck doing that.

The Beetle wasn't available right away as it's a barn find so my Beetle Taxi/beat-up Herbie plan is temporarily on hold. In the meantime I went back to Horizon 1 and set up a Corrado exactly like I had it in that game to use for the first part of the game.

Driving dynamics are much improved over Horizon 4. Cars feel weighted properly. A month ago I got a winter beater, a 2004 Hyundai Accent which weighs nothing and feels like it. My other car is a big Genesis sedan that weighs about twice as much. After driving the little shitbox for a month I took the other car out for a monthly run and I felt like I was in a tank. This game has a similar feel jumping from a heavy planted car with wide tires to a turd on pizza cutters. I'm really getting a kick out of traction on gravel without an LSD too. The Corrado is pulling left hard when accelerating and you can visibly see the car firing rocks out from the driver side front tire. Really liking it so far.

Dirt, dust and smoke effects are really kicked up a notch and texture work on everything is bananas. Loving the little details all over too like the rocks marking the parking spots in front of this small outdoor shop. When I was very young my grandma lived in Yuma, Arizona during the winter and would rip across the border to Mexico regularly in her old orange diesel Mercedes (wah-wah-wah-wah). These little outdoor shops and markets were all over the place. Despite living in Canada, growing up my home was full of Mexican blankets, paintings, hand-made toys and and knick-knacks grandma would bring up with her every spring.
Ezbx4Nn.jpg

StfFPiv.jpg

Game runs much better than I expected on my 2080ti/10600K combo. 1440p/60fps locked at maxed out everything puts the GPU at 50-60% and the CPU doesn't even seem to be trying at 60fps. I'll wait for an in-depth guide to pop up and will adjust for 120 locked. I'll turn MSAAx8 down to x2, motion Blur is already turned off because I hate it and as was the case in Horizon 4 many of the other settings don't appear to have a major impact on appearance from extreme to Ultra but do have a pretty big effect on framerate. No hitching or frame pacing issues.

Unfortunately the game has crashed a few times on me. Not a huge deal as it only takes a minute to get back in to the game and it saves every time you do anything but I hope they iron things out quickly. Horizon 4 crashed occasionally too during the first week and Horizon 3 was one of the first PC games to come out during Microsoft's renewed push so it had several issues as well.
How does your PC hardware compare to Series X? Your getting max settings and only utilizing 60% of the systems power, right? I'm trying to understand why we can't get ultra settings at 1440p/60 on Series X and I admittedly don't keep up with PC hardware as I don't own a gaming PC. People are going to label me as a troll or somy famboy for expressing disappointment but I'm not, I'm just somewhat let down by how many games seem to be performing on these new systems, which were being touted as 2070 ps5/2080- series x with very capable cpu and good memory set ups...

oldergamer

Just want to chime in with my experience so far.

PC, i9 10900k (stock), 32GB RAM, 3080. Runs at Extreme graphics preset (actually a couple of ticks above for a couple of settings) at 4K, 60FPS, no drops. Obviously, graphically, the game is nothing short of stunning. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The only thing I can think of that comes close is RDR2.

However, I was struggling with the gameplay at first because I wanted to use my wheel, a Thrustmaster TS-PC with TH8A shifter, but could not keep the friggin car, any car, on the goddamned road. I would take a turn, come off the gas, and careen straight off the damn track, time after time. Also, my shifter has 7 speeds + R, and different cars have different transmissions, with different speeds, and keeping track of what had what was a pain in the ass. Some even had more than 7 speeds, which meant I'd need to use sequential shifting for those. Do not want. It was all so frustrating that I disconnected the wheel altogether and played with controller. That was fun enough, but not what I wanted, and not what I bought the game for.

Today, I went back to the lab and found the sweet spot. In the Thrustmaster app, I set my wheel radius to 360 degrees, and set the steering type in-game back to Standard (I had originally put it on Simulation), leaving the in-game steering sensitivity at default. MUCH better. Also, I found that in the garage, you can install a 7-speed trans in any car, which means I can adapt any car to my shifter.

So now, I'm absolutely loving the game. Been playing most of the morning and having an absolute blast. I have drivatar difficulty at Above Average, and the challenge level for my setup feels just about perfect. From :messenger_angry: to :messenger_beaming: in 3 easy steps.

That's it. I'm off. Cheers. 👍
Damn i was hoping they fixed this. This was the same issue i had with Forza 4 when I had stopped playing. it was impossible to use a wheel. It made no sense how it was harder to drive with a wheel in a arcade game, then it was in real life. I also have thrustmaster force feedback wheel, and even at low speed i couldn't stop from spinning out.

Catphish

Damn i was hoping they fixed this. This was the same issue i had with Forza 4 when I had stopped playing. it was impossible to use a wheel. It made no sense how it was harder to drive with a wheel in a arcade game, then it was in real life. I also have thrustmaster force feedback wheel, and even at low speed i couldn't stop from spinning out.
I’m happy with how it plays now. I think the keys, though, are keeping it on Standard steering, and setting your wheel to a lower rotation. I like 360, but I’m gonna test 540. I’m thinking that’s about as high as you’d wanna go.

Catphish

Everyone else having connection issues? PC or Series X the game never stays connected if it connects at all. Didn’t have this problem Thursday or Friday.
Yep. Constantly getting dropped. Hopefully they have it sorted in time for the general release.

Chukhopops

Just finished the Gauntlet, a freaking 58km dirt race that finishes the dirt segment.

That was peak racing, I don’t think any game can top that. It really feels like you are tested in different conditions as you drive across the country almost coast to coast. Incredible.
So, is progression still "flat" like in FH4? Thats kinda what puts me off from buying this
There have been some improvements like specific accolades for actually winning races, giving you choices on which type of races to unlock, a better car collection with bonuses for collecting certain cars, etc. But it remains overall similar so if you didn’t like it before you may not like it now.

MastAndo

Tried it on PC with my 2080 Super, and while it looks better, the poor HDR and longer load times on my old ass SSD hurt the experience. Plus, I'm spoiled by Quick Resume. What an awesome feature... though I think it may be contributing to these constant disconnect messages I'm getting right now.

Guilty_AI

There have been some improvements like specific accolades for actually winning races, giving you choices on which type of races to unlock, a better car collection with bonuses for collecting certain cars, etc. But it remains overall similar so if you didn’t like it before you may not like it now.
Yeah i was afraid of that. I get they do this to encourage new players and online play, but i really miss having a good open world racer with TDU-style or nfsu2-style carrers.

DaGwaphics

Does anyone has experience running this game with Ryzen 2600+ RX580 4GB at 1080p, lol ?

I have no direct experience with the game yet, but given the RX580 and the 1X GPU are similar, you should be able to configure something that is performant. Maybe even similar to XSS since you have a decent CPU.

SZips

I really hope these server issues are resolved before the general release happens. The disconnects which result in your car coming to a dead stop are super frustrating.

Pakoe

Gaf club is ranked 1363 right now with 9 members.

The more we get the more drivatars we all have to race, and accolades aren't going to waste.

Consider joining if you are playing and aren't in a club yet.
How can I join?

How does your PC hardware compare to Series X? Your getting max settings and only utilizing 60% of the systems power, right? I'm trying to understand why we can't get ultra settings at 1440p/60 on Series X and I admittedly don't keep up with PC hardware as I don't own a gaming PC. People are going to label me as a troll or somy famboy for expressing disappointment but I'm not, I'm just somewhat let down by how many games seem to be performing on these new systems, which were being touted as 2070 ps5/2080- series x with very capable cpu and good memory set ups...

I assume the actual framerate the XSX is putting out is considerably higher at times than 30fps in quality mode to achieve a rock-solid 30fps. Likewise the performance mode is likely outputting well north of 60fps at times to always stick to 60fps like it does. Possibly at 1440p the XSX just can't maintain a solid 60fps in quality mode so Playground opted for the solution they used instead.

If I run the game at 4K with all settings at max like the XSX uses for Quality mode (including stuff I never use like motion blur) and have DRS on like the XSX I see an 68fps average with a low right around 60fps but since my monitor is a 1440p monitor I don't really need to. If I play at 1440p/120 with all settings maxed like the Xbox Series X Quality mode and DRS active I see anything from low 80s to 110+ in the benchmark with the same settings. I keep motion blur off and MSAA at 4x and shut off DRS and that brings my min up into the low 90s-120s range.

Xuxi0If.png

dMSWuQO.jpg

Keep in mind my 2080ti is liquid cooled, overclocked and sits in a 4 cubic foot high airflow case with enough fans to airlift a horse. It also cost me just over $1000 CAD when I bought it three years ago. I also spent a lot of time tweaking Windows on my machine, disabling absolutely everything I could get away withso when I'm running a game that's really all my PC is doing.

I would not be disappointed that a $500 Kleenex box with a single fan that works just fine by simply plugging it into the wall and TV is running this game at max PC settings at 4K/30fps and mid-high settings at 4K/60 . The value consoles offer is absolutely nuts.

They should include a 1440p option though, absolutely.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Does anyone has experience running this game with Ryzen 2600+ RX580 4GB at 1080p, lol ?
I just tested Ryzen 1600 and Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4GB(with fat OC to 1400MHz core/1900MHz mem in Afterburner) and ran a few benchmark passes to see what the optimal settings for my visual preference were. You'll probably have another 15-25% headroom depending on your OC. I liked the look of native res without resolution scaling, although you may be able to tolerate Ultra Quality resolution scaling depending on your tastes. This was the best mix I came up with while still staying under the VRAM limit. I started with 'Low' preset, then chose 'High' AF, 2xMSAA, and 'High' Environment Texture Quality. I believe Lens Effects and Shader Quality are set to 'Medium' by default in this config.

Ended up with 74fps avg, and for the most part this is how it would perform in the open world, but imo it's best to get that ~60fps min for segments in the game that get really heavy. You can probably increase a couple more settings to 'Medium' with your RX 580 as long as it doesn't push the VRAM limit and choke, but this mix will be safe and it will give you 1080p/60fps with decent visuals. Good luck!

P.S.- For reference, I just ran Fire Strike 2013 and came out with 14,783 Graphics Score with this tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom