• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FPS running on GZDoom, taking inspiration from F.E.A.R. and DOOM - Introducing "Selaco"

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Very dumb to release this with early access label if it has full campaign and high level of polish. Will just needlessly antagonize people who do not like EA and do not bother find out what is in it.
From what they said its not the full campaign yet, just a large chunk of it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Fuck the game is hard as hell, just above normal and I died many times. I really love the level design in this and I feel the ways to find the secrets will be very rewarding.

darrylgorn

I was looking for the OT and didn't want to necro haha

I'm still going through settings and making changes, but I'm loving the fact that there's so many options. I know this is sacrilege but smooth texturing looks surprisingly good.

The game is hard but I'm actually managing on controller with the default aim assist.

One caveat, cloud saves don't appear to be working. For now, I'm just playing through a second campaign on steam deck but hopefully they fix it in a future update.

Fantastic game, otherwise. Worth every penny.

bee

played the demo for 3 or so hours around Christmas time, played 45mins of this early access release, game of the year right here!!

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Cant find an option to invert Y controls for Steam Deck? Yeah, I can force it but then other stuff like the weapon wheel is reversed too. Also, performance is all over the place even with low settings.

These motherfuckers chose an engine where they cant port it to consoles without an official update. Assholes...

Gift Middle Finger GIF by Birthday Bot

darrylgorn

Cant find an option to invert Y controls for Steam Deck? Yeah, I can force it but then other stuff like the weapon wheel is reversed too. Also, performance is all over the place even with low settings.

If you open up the advanced options, it will show control settings for each stick. Should be there.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The shotgun is amazingly satisfying. The audio is top tier, ASMR to your ears.

Its GZDoom, but its a bespoke fork of it, called Pancake. All the new things on display will be open sourced per GZ's license.

This is one of those games that just delivers. And having a reasonable onlook on when it is finished.

Looks nice but I don't do early access.
Its a full game of content, but yea, be contrarian. Its okay not to post.

simpatico

Looks nice but I don't do early access.
The dev is being a little pedantic on what constitutes “early access” here. What is released now is a complete game. He is waiting to remove the EA until after both free DLCs are released, as well as incursion mode and even more mod support.

What you can buy right now is more game than most people ever release.

It's also made by 3 dudes on a shoestring budget. Games like that, Dusk, Amid Evil and Selaco give me a ton of hope. Once AI game dev tools are common place, how much more are these guys going to be able to give us? We really don't need publishers for much longer.
This is the light at the end of the tunnel for me. AAA budgets keep rising while their quality simultaneously falls off a cliff, they will all eventually bankrupt themselves and that market will evaporate and take the casual GaaS audience with it.

The only folks left making games will be small, passionate groups of people who love them and a new golden era of games they will bring us 🫡

simpatico

This is the light at the end of the tunnel for me. AAA budgets keep rising while their quality simultaneously falls off a cliff, they will all eventually bankrupt themselves and that market will evaporate and take the casual GaaS audience with it.

The only folks left making games will be small, passionate groups of people who love them and a new golden era of games they will bring us 🫡
Fuck it I'm sharing a couple obscure game devs I follow who I'm very hyped for.

Julien Eveillé

Senior Level Designer from Arkane, also designed levels for Crytek
Game: THRESHOLD
Genre: Atmospheric Survival Horror, Immersive Sim. Choices matter, multiple endings.
DEMO DROPS: IN 2 DAYS

Antonio Freyre

Local Madman
Game: No Sun to Worship
Genre: STEALTH ESPIONAGE ACTION, Splinter Cell-like
GAME IS OUT NOW
(and his next game seems to take aim at MGSV

HeadWare Games
Game: Hollowbody
Genre: Survival Horror, Silent Hill-like
DEMO IS OUT

The next all time great game will come from a 1 man studio. It's destined. The less people, the more pure the vision. AI is going to make this crazy.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Games like this is the main reason why I have recently purchased a gaming PC and will be sticking with it over consoles. Spending upwards of $300 million a game for what amounts to boring, DEI crap when you can get games like this for a quarter of the price and 100 times the amount of fun! Count me in! Just purchased it and will be playing it after work today.

Games like this is the main reason why I have recently purchased a gaming PC and will be sticking with it over consoles. Spending upwards of $300 million a game for what amounts to boring, DEI crap when you can get games like this for a quarter of the price and 100 times the amount of fun! Count me in! Just purchased it and will be playing it after work today.
Yup, as I get older I realise that I couldn't give a rats ass about the majority of AAA games now. They all end up disappointing to me, whereas the smaller games end up being a ton of fun. This looks awesome and I'm also looking to grab Mullet Madjack which looks like another awesome indie shooter!

simpatico

Welcome! If you haven't yet, make sure you check out Dusk and Turbo Overkill too.

Buggy Loop

I guess I'm mid level 3 now. Jesus christ. Every time the enemies raise up their alert levels I weep. They do not mess around. I died so many times. Really love it though, incredible level design, still some places right now I targeted as secret areas but I have no idea how to get there.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member

Was going to wait for a GOG release but this sold me on the game. Also, seems this'll have a fairly active steam workshop.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Wait, I only needed the koala?

Chapters:
00:00 - Intro
00:48 - Selaco Intro
03:39 - Building Better Worlds
09:28 - We've Got Hostiles
13:49 - Nailbombs and Boomsticks
18:58 - When Everything Comes Together
23:09- Spoilers