• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 will run at 30 FPS on Consoles

CamHostage

Translation is accurate, but what I know, is that the Zing.cz staff aren't the brightest minds. So I would like to see the actual slides from that conference

I'd love to see those slides too (especially since they are in English). This topic has just ran rampant based on quasi-reliable translations and second-hand reporting that doesn't seem exactly to be stating what the quoters say the article says, much less what was specifically said in the room.

Here's the original article (for those who speak Czech, or just want to read in full context: )

Google Translate said:
Perhaps the most interesting were the statements regarding the technical side. Klíma, like many other developers, mentioned the limitation of the Xbox Series S and its 10GB of memory. So Warhorse's goal was to make the game 25% bigger, since XSS has 25% more memory than PS4/XONE.

Reads to me that they started and set the goal of a 25% scale upgrade over the original (and that the S did at that time stand as one of their concerns on the table for initial targeting.) The scope and capacity would change over that time, though, as would tech (in positive and negative ways) Also, it's not saying that they would have had more than 25% bigger game even without Series S (it's already a big-assed and complicated spot of land,) more that they just pegged it semi-arbitrarily at 25% based on what they knew by math they could squeeze onto all platforms even before adjusting any parameters.

...That said, the RAM issue here would be one of the few cases where Series S could cause troubles at a fundamental level. The lesser box is being blamed senselessly for the lack of "next-gen leap" firepower this gen (as if RT GI/AI/Reflections/Shadows can't be thrown on top or even that virtualized geometry can't and never does fall back to traditional LODs optimised for a specific platform.) However, this type of game really need every bit memory it can use to track its complex simulation, and there are ways to replicate that complexity without taking up so much RAM as the previous game, but still, it demands resident space. Series S cut back on mostly non-essential aspects of the graphics features which can work out by scaling the demands down, but it did cheapen out on RAM, and that's not something that scales or cuts back without affecting the whole.

So it's likely that Series S was a pain in their neck and possibly even forced compromises, but that's not exactly borne out of what's quoted in this summary of the event. (It's also not supported by other details we already know about the production game size, plus I'd be surprised a developer would so candidly admit to one box in the SKU list kicking his ass and limiting his project, even if RAM was a serious challenge for a certain type of game you'd still fight to the end to get the most out of it and you'd be foolish to admit early that your primarily-PC customers were getting a lesser game than imagined because of one darned console version.)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I haven't seen this incredible graphic or physics in the reveal trailer to warrant 30 fps only tbh.

Maybe the npcs ia is gonna be the most advanced ever or maybe it's just another unoptimized mess like dogma2.

I would like for the first game to get a 60 FPS patch first, so I can finally play it before the sequel.
A while back I looked through some of their posts on Twitter and there were so many people asking for a 60 fps patch for KC1. If they don't have money/resources to do it themselves they should have asked their publisher to outsource it to some other dev studio and charge €10 for it. They would've gotten a decent amount of sales imo from people curious to play it before the release of Kingdom Come 2. The window is kinda closing though since the release date of KC2 is just a few months away.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am fine with that. If I want high framerate I will just play on PC.

FewRope

uhZNhqM.gif
All of that to sell like shit on Xbox, you cant make this shit up

dreamstation

Gold Member
It's absolutely criminal that the first game didn't get an update for the new consoles. So many people have been asking but they're just like nope. Keen for the sequel but honestly 30fps is not ideal. Probably will wait for a sale unless they come to their senses.

Bojji

I don't think this was well proved, unless you take cases apart.

Even Digital Foundry keep trying to build up PCs with similar specs to mimic consoles, in some cases they can, but majority don't fair equal to what consoles can offer.

Again, optimization is key part. You could mention that in some cases the console port is terrible and in others the pc port is the terrible one.

Not to mention most of the technology was bring from consoles to PC. The Nvidia pursuit of reconstruction that created DLSS came from the initial PS4pro cb in mind. Since them many companies tried to figure out ways of their engine to offer what normally console do to archieve better frame rate at the cost of resolution.

Console optimization is a thing of the past. Console apis can be more efficient than the ones on PC but it's probably few % or something. Consoles are running PC hardware basically.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Since they wont give us a native PS5 version, how does the original play/look on PS5?
1080p30 on low/medium settings.

The game also feels like it has incredibly slow input latency which is only exacerbated by the 30fps.

NPC popin is particularly horrendous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom