• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Soulhouf

How good is the online co-op for this, and more importantly, is it worldwide? I live in NY and my friend lives in Tokyo, will we be able to play this together? We were not happy to find out that Fantasy Life and Monster Hunter 4 on 3DS don't allow it due to region restrictions in the online mode, so we wanna look for something else.

You can play with people from allover the world if they all have EUR or US version. Japan's server is separate because the game isn't exactly the same (different Panopticons, vocaloid Accessory...).

Zareka

You can play with people from allover the world if they all have EUR or US version. Japan's server is separate because the game isn't exactly the same (different Panopticons, vocaloid Accessory...).
I'm still bummed we didn't get those accessory voices. Programming custom phrases would have been awesome. Tomodachi Life managed it fine!

colon

Oh...well that changes everything. That's the same issue we had with the two 3DS games I mentioned, they only let North America and Europe play together and Japan is excluded. Now I don't see the point in getting this. I'm not interested in playing this if I can't play it with my friend.

If I import it can I play with my friend on the Japanese servers (even though I won't be able to read anything)? Or will it still put me on the US servers because that's the region associated with my PSN ID? If I can connect to the Japan servers I bet it will lag like crazy.

Soulhouf

Oh...well that changes everything. That's the same issue we had with the two 3DS games I mentioned, they only let North America and Europe play together and Japan is excluded. Now I don't see the point in getting this. I'm not interested in playing this if I can't play it with my friend.

If I import it can I play with my friend on the Japanese servers (even though I won't be able to read anything)? Or will it still put me on the US servers because that's the region associated with my PSN ID? If I can connect to the Japan servers I bet it will lag like crazy.

You can't play online in the Japanese version unless you buy the online pass, another difference unique to that version. Which means you need to play the game with your Japanese account since you can only have one account on your Vita.

Too much hassle if you ask me...

Alucrid

Banned
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've been looking over a few threads and sources in regards to upgrading weapons but I'm still a bit confused.

I have a R8 Exodus that's a late bloomer. I'm upgrading it to level 5, then into the impact version. Then I need to modify it by using other Exodus weapons with elemental stats on them to increase the original one (do all or just focus one?). Once that's maxed out I'll have to put modules on it in the same way? Once that's done I just level it up to 10. Just got code 8 and my current weapons seem fairly ineffective.

maouvin

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've been looking over a few threads and sources in regards to upgrading weapons but I'm still a bit confused.

I have a R8 Exodus that's a late bloomer. I'm upgrading it to level 5, then into the impact version. Then I need to modify it by using other Exodus weapons with elemental stats on them to increase the original one (do all or just focus one?). Once that's maxed out I'll have to put modules on it in the same way? Once that's done I just level it up to 10. Just got code 8 and my current weapons seem fairly ineffective.

Modules and elemental stats can be obtained from any kind of weapon, no need to use only Exodus for that.

Your 4 elemental stats summed up can't exceed 100 points (that's base values - with modules they can exceed that), so you can have 25/25/25/25 or 50/50 on two.

You're on the right track. /r/FreedomWars wiki has a nice write-up on weapons too.

Alucrid

Banned
Modules and elemental stats can be obtained from any kind of weapon, no need to use only Exodus for that.

Your 4 elemental stats summed up can't exceed 100 points (that's base values - with modules they can exceed that), so you can have 25/25/25/25 or 50/50 on two.

You're on the right track. /r/FreedomWars wiki has a nice write-up on weapons too.

Thanks for the clarification and link, definitely helps a lot. Didn't see it explicitly mentioned in the link, but for modules can that be any weapon like elemental stats or does it have to the same as the base weapon?

MrHoot

I believed in the last guardian. I can believe in this.

I'd hope at least for a conclusion to the clusterfuck of the first game. Same for GR2. Not asking for a long running franchise but give me closure sony ;_; (and an end game that's not as bullshit)

Is it easy to find some people to play online with?

There are still plenty of games, but it's mostly down to 0-year-sentence people farming Retributions for rare materials all day long. If you see a lobby full of people with no numbers over their heads, you probably shouldn't be there.

For everyone else, it's probably a matter of finding a group in advance.

Yeah I saw the song announcement pop up on my Twitter feed and went "Wait. What?" The new PV reminded me of how much I really like the character design in this game.

New song is sung by Eriko Nakamura and Yumi Hara. Idolmaster reunion yay

Bring on the Freedom Wars standalone expansion.

Neat song. Hopefully this does allude to some bigger announcement coming.

The girls in the video are like 'shh freedom wars 2 is coming don't tell anyone"

pariah164

Yeah I saw the song announcement pop up on my Twitter feed and went "Wait. What?" The new PV reminded me of how much I really like the character design in this game.

New song is sung by Eriko Nakamura and Yumi Hara. Idolmaster reunion yay

Bring on the Freedom Wars standalone expansion.
Freedom Wars 2: Dancing All Night

Sorry not sorry.

Spades

I just picked this up for my PS TV for £9.99. If anyone still regularly plays, please feel free to add me on PSN: Block-Mate.

Zareka

Wait what there's some FW promo going on? How did I miss this? What's happening!?

The only thing I'm bummed about is that Freedom Wars 2 will never be on Vita, considering Sony's stopping support. I mean, I know it'll probably be better realised on PS4...but man I just loved playing FW1 for the portability. 20fps in late game fights be damned, it was so good.

MrHoot

Wait what there's some FW promo going on? How did I miss this? What's happening!?

The only thing I'm bummed about is that Freedom Wars 2 will never be on Vita, considering Sony's stopping support. I mean, I know it'll probably be better realised on PS4...but man I just loved playing FW1 for the portability. 20fps in late game fights be damned, it was so good.

I have a fleeting hope that it might be both ps4+vita due to the nature of the game, and that it's not a pure sony production like gravity rush...but yeah.

I'd be happy if it was considered being made at all. Like the Swan song for vita from japan studio and dimps

Zareka

I have a fleeting hope that it might be both ps4+vita due to the nature of the game, and that it's not a pure sony production like gravity rush...but yeah.

I'd be happy if it was considered being made at all. Like the Swan song for vita from japan studio and dimps

Oh it's not? I was using Gravity Rush as my point of reference actually. Hmm...maybe I'll hold on to that hope a tiny bit longer. It'd be really great if the could bring it to Vita, should it exist. If only because who I played the entirety of FW1 with doesn't have a PS4 and has no intention of ever getting one.

I got this free as a PS Plus game when I finally remembered to check my December games, and wow I have been all-in on it since then. It came just as I was getting sick and unable to go to work, but also consumed a good portion of my weekend and the last two days.

Definitely feeling a lot of the same pulls as I did in MH4U earlier in the year (my first real foray into a game like this). Dunno if I want to stick with it, yet, but it's diverting for sure.

I'm (maybe?) most of the way through CODE 6 right now, got a pretty good feel for it at last. Just looking back while describing it to a friend, I'm kind of amazed at the stuff I've put up with in the name of sweet customisation and fun battles:
- Buying the right to run for more than 5 seconds (!!!)
- The first tier or two of 'Rights' in general. All of them are just designed to make you hate the game. I would say it's a brave move by the devs, but I guess this isn't F2P, they already have your money by the time you see that stuff, retention is less of an issue.
- The 'stealth' sections where you wait until a dude is looking the other way and sprint past a foot behind him, then do that ten more times
- The story stuff that always ends up with 'I'll go over and wait for you, meet me there' and then you have to go hunt the same person down again instead of maybe going with them?
- The complete lack of choice (the choice in the
Hal/Anna storyline
was not made in conversation) in decision-making or story stuff, but they make you select 'options' anyway and it just feels pointless
- Accessory capture (better get that revive done in like ten seconds or-) especially by the T-Type Abductors which are really hard to break open in time
- Buddy AI in general is patchy around follow/revive it seems, often I get killed because my Accessory is so incredibly far behind and doesn't make it to me
- Gahhh this game has made me mad

But I can't stop. Help.

I didn't just come to complain, I'm really enjoying the game still. Just had basically nobody to complain to before I found this thread. :) I won't be touching any online stuff for a while, but if you want to add me, feel free; same name as here.

Reading back through some recent posts, I note that people are saying melee weapons aren't viable in the long run. That's sad to hear 'cos they look and feel sweet, but it makes sense given how dangerous the severing mechanic is for you, and how frustrating it can be to actually do (similar to mounting in MH, but less explicit about when you're in danger). Just blasting away with a gun is more reliable. I've found the heavy machine gun archetypes in the 'Autocannons' class pretty good in terms of feeling effective vs. dying less. EZ Wolf and MG-M7 are the early ones I think. The trigger delay isn't too long and you can keep spraying bullets for a good long time. Very deadly to sinners, and nice damage output against abductors for my money.

Also top tip for anyone new like me: if someone goes down you don't have to go over there to revive them! Just hit them with your Thorn and they're back up instantly. I've no idea how I missed this, maybe it was in the tutorial, but it's great for when your Accessory goes down in a dodgy area. Just make sure you don't accidentally leap into a deathtrap I s'pose.

Always glad to see someone enjoy this game.

Just remember that heavy weapons slow down both you and your accessory. You'll probably switch to a Barbara at some point - the damage output is completely unmatched if you can manage to upgrade it to high levels.

- Buddy AI in general is patchy around follow/revive it seems, often I get killed because my Accessory is so incredibly far behind and doesn't make it to me

Some AI characters are coded to prioritize revival (most of the healing thorn users, I think) while others will just ignore you and keep fighting. Also, eventually you just can't afford to give your accessory a heavy weapon on these kinds of operations - you need to keep them mobile. While you're still doing the story, it's these little adjustments that can keep you alive.

maouvin

Also top tip for anyone new like me: if someone goes down you don't have to go over there to revive them! Just hit them with your Thorn and they're back up instantly.

And then you stop and think "why the hell can't the AI thorn revive too?".

About melee weapons: the major drawback to them is that they're not safe, since dodging is slow and don't have as many invincibility frames as other games in the genre. Some weapons can stunlock abductors though, usually by repeatedly breaking their legs/pods.
A decently upgraded Barbara will always be better, of course, but melee can work.

And yes, Freedom Wars is a game with a bunch of flaws that can piss you off (hello crafting), but we always end up somewhat addicted to it :p this series must live on.

Shengar

Freedom Wars is flawed gem for sure. Shooting up stuff with then thorn and cut off enemies limb in between makes it a nice break from your usual hunting action game. It is just the unnecessary random element in this game is way too much. I was hoping for a PS4 semi-sequel with less random element and quality AI that on par with Toukiden and SSD, but it seems this is very unlikely.

Always glad to see someone enjoy this game.

Just remember that heavy weapons slow down both you and your accessory. You'll probably switch to a Barbara at some point - the damage output is completely unmatched if you can manage to upgrade it to high levels.

Yeah, I've got a Barbara working its way up at the moment, and a rarer one that I need some material to get up I think. I've used it a little and that damage is tasty but it's hard to justify with the tiny range. Maybe for the Accessory, or as a primary weapon while I keep the big gun in reserve.

...eventually you just can't afford to give your accessory a heavy weapon on these kinds of operations - you need to keep them mobile. While you're still doing the story, it's these little adjustments that can keep you alive.

Hmm, now that makes sense. My Accessory has been rolling with heavy weapons even longer than me (she had the EZ Wolf first, then I wanted to try it). To get better following/revives, that will definitely be a worthwhile change, thanks!

And then you stop and think "why the hell can't the AI thorn revive too?".

This game has me stopping and thinking 'why the hell can't ___' way too much.

About melee weapons: the major drawback to them is that they're not safe, since dodging is slow and don't have as many invincibility frames as other games in the genre. Some weapons can stunlock abductors though, usually by repeatedly breaking their legs/pods.
A decently upgraded Barbara will always be better, of course, but melee can work.

And yes, Freedom Wars is a game with a bunch of flaws that can piss you off (hello crafting), but we always end up somewhat addicted to it :p this series must live on.

Glad that I didn't totally sleep on the Barbara now, it is rad, will just take some adjusting. I'll put it on the Accessory first and see, I'm happy with my own slowness for the moment.

Freedom Wars is flawed gem for sure. Shooting up stuff with then thorn and cut off enemies limb in between makes it a nice break from your usual hunting action game. It is just the unnecessary random element in this game is way too much. I was hoping for a PS4 semi-sequel with less random element and quality AI that on par with Toukiden and SSD, but it seems this is very unlikely.

Yeah, I mean when I think of the mobility in this compared to even MH4U, I want to never touch that game again. The thorn makes things so much smoother and faster. Also dreading coming back to the 3DS for aiming ever again after having a (halfway) decent analogue stick.

maouvin

Glad that I didn't totally sleep on the Barbara now, it is rad, will just take some adjusting. I'll put it on the Accessory first and see, I'm happy with my own slowness for the moment.

Barbara doesn't shine on the accessory, though. Barbara is essentially a shotgun, doing short-range, fast 5-shot bursts (which can be upped to 7 with the right mods), so the strategy is to cling to the abductor part you want to break and keep Barbara'ing until so. If you do that to a pod (or weak point in some cases) you can stunlock the abductor to death. Some people even run Barbara + something else instead of using a melee weapon. Just bring some ammo packs.

Unfortunaly, your accessory can't cling to stuff, and given that the Barbara is crap against other sinners it's a sub-optimal choice.

Barbara doesn't shine on the accessory, though. Barbara is essentially a shotgun, doing short-range, fast 5-shot bursts (which can be upped to 7 with the right mods), so the strategy is to cling to the abductor part you want to break and keep Barbara'ing until so. If you do that to a pod (or weak point in some cases) you can stunlock the abductor to death. Some people even run Barbara + something else instead of using a melee weapon. Just bring some ammo packs.

Unfortunaly, your accessory can't cling to stuff, and given that the Barbara is crap against other sinners it's a sub-optimal choice.

Ahhh I see. I mean it's good against sinners when I've used it, which is why I figured it would be fine on the Accessory, but yeah I guess the Accessory can't make the best use of it. As I said above, I might swap out the first weapon for it, and hold on to my heavy for a while. Thanks for the tip.

Seil

I think my preference when I played was Barbara and a Polearm. The former for how amazing and broken it can be and the latter mostly because I found it fun to use when possible haha. It's been so long since I played though x.x I don't even remember if I finished the weapon projects I was working on.

After a couple of days messing about with it, I'm really enjoying the 'cling to dude, Barbara a bunch' method of fighting abductors, especially for the shield modules. Still got that EZ Wolf in the back pocket though, it's hard to beat it for sustained damage output without reloading.

Also probably nearing the end of the campaign, which is just fine with me. The story has mostly gotten in the way for me so far, although it's not really bad.

Mandelbo

Is this seriously the final boss? Who thought these chains were a good idea? They just seem to come out of nowhere most of the time AND they have a tiny hitbox AND that ram attack is a utter pain to dodge AND they can all congregate in one place which makes it nigh impossible to revive anyone there AND they hit like trucks. Just seems like the fight was designed to be unnecessarily frustrating rather than actually fun.

And if you fail, you have to do the Cell Garden section and the Red Rage fight again! It wouldn't be as bad if they at least checkpointed you, but you have to do everything over if you fuck up, which is completely ridiculous.

edit: also the partner AI is really stupid a lot of the time. If I need reviving and my accessory is right next to me then he should revive me, not continue shooting the enemy. Earlier on I'd set his order to "heal me", but died before he could do it, so he came over and wasted a healing item on my corpse rather than reviving me :p

maouvin

And if you fail, you have to do the Cell Garden section and the Red Rage fight again! It wouldn't be as bad if they at least checkpointed you, but you have to do everything over if you fuck up, which is completely ridiculous.

If you beat the first two in Multiplayer, it saves your progress and you can jump straight to the third one.
You can play MP on a solo room with AI just like SP, but they'll be randomly assigned iirc.

And yes, that boss is lovely. There's a way to prevent the chains from respawning (break the 9 boxes in a certain order), and there's an area (near the door?) where they can't enter, but it's been long and I don't remember those ( ._.)

Mandelbo

If you beat the first two in Multiplayer, it saves your progress and you can jump straight to the third one.
You can play MP on a solo room with AI just like SP, but they'll be randomly assigned iirc.

And yes, that boss is lovely. There's a way to prevent the chains from respawning (break the 9 boxes in a certain order), and there's an area (near the door?) where they can't enter, but it's been long and I don't remember those ( ._.)

Yeah, thing about that is that while the chains themselves can't enter that area, some of their attacks, like the spray moves, can, meaning you're not totally safe anywhere in the arena. I'll give that multiplayer trick a go though, thanks!

Is this seriously the final boss? Who thought these chains were a good idea? They just seem to come out of nowhere most of the time AND they have a tiny hitbox AND that ram attack is a utter pain to dodge AND they can all congregate in one place which makes it nigh impossible to revive anyone there AND they hit like trucks. Just seems like the fight was designed to be unnecessarily frustrating rather than actually fun.

I saw the first sentence of this post and was like 'spoilers, not gonna read this yet' and then guess what my next fight was.

I got through both the pre-boss-fight fights grand, and that was pretty satisfying actually. I was feeling good about tackling this last douchenozzle and then the chains started to become a real problem. Two or three deaths were the result of me almost being revived and then the person reviving me getting stunlocked or straight killed by chain ram attacks.

I spent more time reviving my accessory than I did clinging to the boss pumping Barbara shells into it, and an awful lot of good it did me. With the boss on less than 10%, the chains went into crazy overdrive and became a seething mass of death right on top of my entire (dead) team, so I couldn't even use my thorn to revive my accessory. Then I got caught and thrown into that mess and that was the end of it.

Then I got booted to the cell and oh joy, can't repeat the mission I just did.

THEN I read these posts.

Frick a doodle doo.

Tried doing this after the above, and was actually able to skip right to got lag even in a solo ad-hoc room (invisible walls where there shouldn't be any, trapping me with chains everywhere). Died at about 40% life on the boss. And I'm not even sure it would have counted since I hadn't done the others in MP. Gah.

Yeah, thing about that is that while the chains themselves can't enter that area, some of their attacks, like the spray moves, can, meaning you're not totally safe anywhere in the arena. I'll give that multiplayer trick a go though, thanks!

Yeah, noticed this place all right but it's hard to stay in there. I'm not sure but in my limited time it looks like the AI friends can't get in either, which means no revives for me. Maybe that was just lag/jank though, so much was going on by the time I tried it.

Gonna have some fuuuun doing all that again. Ugh.

I personally use the strategy of going after the chains as soon as they come loose, so they can never have the advantage of numbers. You can drag them down pretty easily with the thorn so you can get a clear shot.

Yeah, that's a good idea. The dragdowns were so effective on the main dude though, as well as our damage output in general, so I foolishly thought we could fight around the chains. In fairness, we nearly did. Would've gotten away with it, too...

In addition to looking up the best order for breaking the boxes, I can't emphasize enough the importance of setting everyone to Prioritize Revival if you are doing the final boss in single player. This will ensure that they don't release all the remaining chains (by dealing damage over a certain threshold) before you're ready to take them on.

Zareka

That boss is an arse, so good luck to everyone fighting it if y'all haven't beaten it already. I had so much trouble with it until I started super micromanaging my team to revive when necessary and killing the chain boxes in the right order. Upgrading my weapon a bit and cutting off those chain boxes correctly was the biggest factor though I gotta say.

Mandelbo

Finished the boss last night and yeah, looking up the correct order for the boxes definitely helped make the fight easier. Still doesn't excuse it in my eyes, though - I didn't even realise the chains released in stages regardless of what you did. It seemed more like breaking the boxes released the chains, probably because the first time I did the fight I must have broken one of the boxes at the exact moment its corresponding chain released. You probably aren't likely to be paying attention to where the chains come from anyway, just that the chains are there.

Anyway, this is what my character looked like at the end of the game:
IxhTCkY.jpg
In hindsight it probably would've been worth postponing doing the final boss for a while until I'd levelled up my gear a bit more, but I beat it in the end and that's what matters!

Card Boy

Banned
I got my sentance to 650K done most of the trophies at 64%, how easy is getting a weapon to level 10 and doing those Gold solo missions without dying? Is it worth platinuming? I don't want to spend dozens of hours, just want to know if i am close or not.

I got my sentance to 650K done most of the trophies at 64%, how easy is getting a weapon to level 10 and doing those Gold solo missions without dying? Is it worth platinuming? I don't want to spend dozens of hours, just want to know if i am close or not.

If you want to get a weapon to level 10, don't try it with a weapon that's been upgraded to an advanced model or else you will be farming for materials, guaranteed. (There is farming involved either way, but you shouldn't need any ultra-rare materials for the basic models of weapons.)

Took a couple of days off from the game after the above disaster (and with Christmas going on), will probably try to burst through the boss this week though. I had it so close, I'm sure that a few small changes like Prioritise Revival etc. would see me through it.

Edit: gaaaaaaaah this game.

Just hit Code 7 today. How active is GAF on this still? I was hoping that I would be able to find more rooms open with it being a PS+ game right now but I am seeing maybe 2-3 at a given time.

Top Bottom