• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware’s next game is already in development, since early 2022

20cent

Banned
You mean that a company keeps working after releasing a new product?
It's like people never stop working or what ?
Oh wait..

Bloody Souls : The Old Ring

fucked up dog GIF by David Firth

Spaceman292

Banned
I hope it’s a Tenchu reboot or sequel.
Sekiro was great but it didn’t cover the ninja stealth genre at all.
Give me big open field like in MGS Ground Zeroes, improve the melee system a bit with the action experience of your last games but make it extra hard to not die as to keep the focus on infiltration. I want a ninja stealth simulation, kinda like Armored Core is their take on Mécha Simulation.

Give me all the light and shadow parameters, noise, even a heartbeat gauge and sweat system making you slide on the floor (to your advantage or not) or letting foot/hand prints all over the place because of moisture. Give me a temperature system where your weapon can freeze in its sheat if you’ve gone into water with it, making you consider to keep it out even if it’s reflecting moonlight.

Make the enemies react to your actions based on % probability. Make each of them unique as they would have slightly different sight, hearing, intelligence and skill. Even for the same basic soldier, those parameters would make them have different chances of reacting one way or the other given the same action we do.
Let’s say there a soldier with bad sight (sight/hearing) : he will not see you from afar, comparing to another Ninja for example, whereas a Samurai could « sense » if you were not very careful with sound. Even that same soldier with bad sight, if he did saw you, would react within his set % probabilities. He could have 3 choices : shout and give the alarm, run away, or investigate on its own and decide to fight. Those 3 choices would be set with probabilities of happening for him. A bit like a random loot lol

Well… each time there’s a chance for a new Tenchu, I’m going completely overboard !
That sounds fucking awful. A sweat mechanic? Are you high?

Paltheos

The last credit to Chan is no flex. Ashes of Ariandel is notoriously the worst Fromsoft DLC. one of the weakest Fromsoft DLCs (ok so allot of people seem to disagree it's the worst).

DelireMan7

I am all in for another Fromsoft game.

I'd like a new ip with a different feeling that Dark Souls (like Bloodborne and Sekiro had). I'll take another "Dark Souls" like with pleasure too ;)

Variahunter

This sounds like the sloppiest, most boring game design and potentially most bloated UI in the entire history of the industry. I kinda wanna see it just to see how laughably terrible it would turn out. Develop it immediately and put it on Steam. I would legit buy it for all the wrong reasons.
You know that Tenchu Z already has most of those systems ?

Kokoloko85

Sekiro 2: Journey to the West.
Would be surprised if Activision didn’t green light the sequel after the success of Sekiro

Won’t be an Elden Ring sequel. Armored Core is announced so Im guessing either another SoulsBorne game, Sekiro 2 or Kings Field (Which would be great in VR)
Bloodborne 2 would be amazing

Mephisto40

Please be a parry game and not another dodgeroll game, please be a parry game and not another dodgeroll game, please be a parry game and not another dodgeroll game.

Dodgerolling games are outplayed and outdated! It once was great, not its boring and old! No one wants to roll around like a bitch 100 million times a game! Parry is the way to go!
I hate parry game

It's a no from me

I will play anything they put out. I've never played an AC game but I'll fucking buy it and play it. Whatever this new game is I'll play it too.

My dream game from them is Bloodborne 2 or at least a spiritual successor. We got Dark Souls which was based on Demons Souls. So maybe we'll get Bloodburn or some shit :messenger_tears_of_joy: Either Bloodborne 2 or a sequel to Kuon. I remember there were rumors that Sekiro would be Kuon 2 or a spiritual successor.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

FROMs turn around time for game development is crazy. Literally no one is that fast and that good.
Like a well oiled machine.

poodaddy

You know that Tenchu Z already has most of those systems ?

Ya don't say?

Shut0wen

I hope its elden ring 2 but made by the peeps that made dark souls 2 so that they can destroy the franchise, elden ring is abso shit compared to dark souls

It's a remake/sequel of Eternal Ring, right?!?

Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN
Isn't Eternal Ring that game with the fucking cursed Island and obscure upgrade system? I remember that making a ring with the right element and attributes was fucking hard. And the ending with the baby god thingy is out of this world. One of my most memorable wtf moments playing a game as a child.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I hope it’s a Tenchu reboot or sequel.
Sekiro was great but it didn’t cover the ninja stealth genre at all.
Give me big open field like in MGS Ground Zeroes, improve the melee system a bit with the action experience of your last games but make it extra hard to not die as to keep the focus on infiltration. I want a ninja stealth simulation, kinda like Armored Core is their take on Mécha Simulation.

Give me all the light and shadow parameters, noise, even a heartbeat gauge and sweat system making you slide on the floor (to your advantage or not) or letting foot/hand prints all over the place because of moisture. Give me a temperature system where your weapon can freeze in its sheat if you’ve gone into water with it, making you consider to keep it out even if it’s reflecting moonlight.

Make the enemies react to your actions based on % probability. Make each of them unique as they would have slightly different sight, hearing, intelligence and skill. Even for the same basic soldier, those parameters would make them have different chances of reacting one way or the other given the same action we do.
Let’s say there a soldier with bad sight (sight/hearing) : he will not see you from afar, comparing to another Ninja for example, whereas a Samurai could « sense » if you were not very careful with sound. Even that same soldier with bad sight, if he did saw you, would react within his set % probabilities. He could have 3 choices : shout and give the alarm, run away, or investigate on its own and decide to fight. Those 3 choices would be set with probabilities of happening for him. A bit like a random loot lol

Well… each time there’s a chance for a new Tenchu, I’m going completely overboard !

Man, you have way too high expectations, this is FROM we're talking about, at the very best you'll be getting another FROM ORIGINAL® : press right stick to lock-on, focus on 1 enemy when in combat, attack buttons assigned to bumpers, camera that spazzes out when in closed spaces, dodge roll mechanic OR parry mechanic, good bosses & art-direction, outdated Gfx engine, you know, the usual FROM stuff, innovation is not one of them - and i'm a FROM fan (but not a fanboy).

Variahunter

Man, you have way too high expectations, this is FROM we're talking about, at the very best you'll be getting another FROM ORIGINAL® : press right stick to lock-on, focus on 1 enemy when in combat, attack buttons assigned to bumpers, camera that spazzes out when in closed spaces, dodge roll mechanic OR parry mechanic, good bosses & art-direction, outdated Gfx engine, you know, the usual FROM stuff, innovation is not one of them - and i'm a FROM fan (but not a fanboy).
I get what you’re saying but, they are already giving us Armored Core 6, and it should be very different from Souls and Sekiro.
I mean From Software is not a powerhouse, most of the game companies don’t vary their games that much. Look at Atlus with Persona/SMT or Sega with Yakuza…
Even Activision with all the billions and the thousands of employees they have, they make COD each fucking year. Same with Ubi and Assassin’s Creed.
And those lack the originality, gameplay, level design and art design of From games.

If Armored Core VI turn into a Souls game, which they confirmed it was not, then we can worry about their stale formula.

Please be a parry game and not another dodgeroll game, please be a parry game and not another dodgeroll game, please be a parry game and not another dodgeroll game.

Dodgerolling games are outplayed and outdated! It once was great, not its boring and old! No one wants to roll around like a bitch 100 million times a game! Parry is the way to go!
Amen brother. That's why I liked ds better than ER. More emphasis on parry in that

Nautilus

Banned
Isn't Eternal Ring that game with the fucking cursed Island and obscure upgrade system? I remember that making a ring with the right element and attributes was fucking hard. And the ending with the baby god thingy is out of this world. One of my most memorable wtf moments playing a game as a child.
Yes, that's the one.

Like I said before, the game aged like cheese outside of a fridge.The ring system(upgrade) is obscure as hell, and the meelle combat is basic as all hell, but there was something special about it.

Variahunter

Ya don't say?
What’s your point here ?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I get what you’re saying but, they are already giving us Armored Core 6, and it should be very different from Souls and Sekiro.
I mean From Software is not a powerhouse, most of the game companies don’t vary their games that much. Look at Atlus with Persona/SMT or Sega with Yakuza…
Even Activision with all the billions and the thousands of employees they have, they make COD each fucking year. Same with Ubi and Assassin’s Creed.
And those lack the originality, gameplay, level design and art design of From games.

If Armored Core VI turn into a Souls game, which they confirmed it was not, then we can worry about their stale formula.

You're not wrong ! Thing is, the no "innovation" thing, while generic as a statement still applies IMO friend.
After 14 years (PS3 DES), not many things have changed, camera is still bullshit, the lock-on mechanic is still archaic (plus, it's also used to reset the camera which leads to headaches in various scenarios) , still the usual dodge/dodge-roll mechanics , still the usual cryptic BS story-telling told via item description mostly, asset recycling ad infinitum and - generally speaking - their games always kinda feel the same, hence the term "Soulsborne" or "souls-like", their mechanics (or lack thereof) are so specific that...
I mean, take a look at Elden Ring, the circle jerking is out of this world, lovely game (if you're into FROM games) but....shit's literally a souls game but - wait for it - it now has a jump button ! and a horse ! Game of the generation they say but i digress.
Again, i love FROM and it's the only company nowadays of which each game release can hype me up but, the fanbase is insufferable with the constant elitism and bias - something which has started to turn me off from their products to be honest and, again, i've played most (if not all) Armored core games, Souls ones, King's field(s), shadow tower abyss etc etc.

Regarding AC6 that you're mentioning, i mean, it's a sequel brother so that's expected but it think that some users/buyers with no prior franchise experience are in for a rough awakening if they're expecting a souls-like, franchise's literally a Mech Gran Turismo with some nice lore/story.

Anyway, they make good games, thing is, for me, innovation is not one of their strong points - and why would it be ? Dudes have found the "golden" formula which sells so... ;)

Last edited:

poodaddy

What’s your point here ?
The game wasn't received as a stellar experience, as I said a game of that nature wouldn't be ;)

Don't get offended and do the let's argue on the internet shit Maynard, I'm just having fun with you. I love stealth games so much bro, I just think making it too complicated or throwing too many gauges on the screen makes for a messy, unintuitive game feel if you get what I'm saying. I'm glad you dig the game brother, and I'm sure it appealed to the demographic that wanted an extremely hardcore experience :)

Do people still think FromSoft developed Tenchu? They made one poorly received spin-off game for Xbox Arcade in 2008 and ported two games to PSP. They acted as publisher in Japan for the later titles in the series. That's it.

FROMs turn around time for game development is crazy. Literally no one is that fast and that good.
Like a well oiled machine.

TBF, while I love From's titles, most of them these days are basically the same game with a couple of new mechanics and a fresh coat of paint. Dark Souls is the Madden of action RPGs.

I'm all for it though. Looking forward to the Truck Stick in ER2

Yes, that's the one.

Like I said before, the game aged like cheese outside of a fridge.The ring system(upgrade) is obscure as hell, and the meelle combat is basic as all hell, but there was something special about it.

Cheese ages well, especially outside of the fridge. You're supposed to age cheese.

Shubh_C63

TBF, while I love From's titles, most of them these days are basically the same game with a couple of new mechanics and a fresh coat of paint. Dark Souls is the Madden of action RPGs.

I'm all for it though. Looking forward to the Truck Stick in ER2
That's not true though.
For example,
DS2 in 2014 which is basically DS1 refined
1 Year later, Bloodbrone, entirely different beast.
1 Year later, 2016 DS3, extension of Bloodborne I would say.
3 Years later, 2019 Sekiro, entirely different beast again.
and finally 2022 Elden Ring, extension of DS3 but the scope was x3 so lets not reduce it to just another DS game.

That is a well oiled machine if ever. Even annual Assassins Creed can't have the mantle of "Madden of action games" even though they ARE the same.

That's not true though.
For example,
DS2 in 2014 which is basically DS1 refined
1 Year later, Bloodbrone, entirely different beast.
1 Year later, 2016 DS3, extension of Bloodborne I would say.
3 Years later, 2019 Sekiro, entirely different beast again.
and finally 2022 Elden Ring, extension of DS3 but the scope was x3 so lets not reduce it to just another DS game.

That is a well oiled machine if ever. Even annual Assassins Creed can't have the mantle of "Madden of action games" even though they ARE the same.

Bloodborne is not an entirely different beast. Sekiro is different enough to be an outlier, but otherwise they've just been refining their formula for a decade, then made it open world.

DS2 is also an exception though in that it was a step backward rather than a refinement.

Roberts

Sekiro is my favorite game they have made so I could totally eat up a sequel.

Confession time: I still haven't beat the last boss in Sekiro. Not for a lack of trying.

I can fap to this.

Top Bottom