• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware says Elden Ring's popular Seamless Co-op mod is 'definitely not something we actively oppose,'

Draugoth

Gold Member
QPUmejvUYexha7zmG9HcjY-970-80.jpg.webp

"Total co-op" wasn't the plan for Elden Ring, but FromSoftware knows that's how some fans like to play.
President Hidetaka Miyazaki he thinks about that way of experiencing the game is legitimate and may take inspiration from mods like this for future titles:

"It's definitely not something we actively oppose or want to downplay, wanting to go through the whole game together," Miyazaki said. "In terms of where we were with Elden Ring, it was simply a case of wanting that more loose, casual style—drop in, defeat a boss, drop out. It doesn't put any technical restrictions on the player, it just sort of lets them complete this focus and then move on, so to speak."

Elden Ring did make that aspect of the co-op experience quite a bit friendlier than it was in prior FromSoft games; in Dark Souls, for example, you had to use a consumable item to be able to summon another player for help, a limitation Elden Ring greatly eased up on with its crafting system. It also introduced the concept of "summoning pools" to concentrate players' summon signs, making it easier to quickly find someone to assist in a tough battle.

Those are nice changes for players who only occasionally want to dabble in co-op, but for me that's quite a different experience than going on an entire journey with a friend, which I've done for the entire Dark Souls trilogy (and now a good chunk of Elden Ring). So I was pleasantly surprised by what Miyazaki said next:

"That's not to say we won't consider other ways like you and your friend played, from beginning to end, total co-op—that's not to say we won't consider ideas like that with our future games."

Yea, my buddies and I have played the whole game 1.5 times in coop on PS5 but we still have to take into account fog walls and all that. A seamless option would be so nice. Souls games in coop are an absolute riot, turns the experience into an Arcade game of sorts. Still love solo though.

Coop is actually quite brutal right now because everyone is playing again so you get invaded every 5 mins.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I beat the entire game in co-op with a friend and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Certainly the best co-op one. So many QOL features that improve the experience. No one goes away when a boss is defeated, friends can join almost anywhere at any time, when one of you dies to a boss, the other one can only spectate until the remaining player(s) defeat the boss or die themselves. There's also the awesome fact that Torrent isn't disabled.

This mod really makes Elden Ring on PC the definitive edition in my opinion. This isn't even talking about other mods that can revive bosses and such.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Yea, my buddies and I have played the whole game 1.5 times in coop on PS5 but we still have to take into account fog walls and all that. A seamless option would be so nice. Souls games in coop are an absolute riot, turns the experience into an Arcade game of sorts. Still love solo though.

Coop is actually quite brutal right now because everyone is playing again so you get invaded every 5 mins.
If it were more seamless and less restrictive it would be like the proverbial cherry on top of an already fantastic experience.

Fbh

I hope their next game just has straightforward coop.
People that want to play through their games in coop are already doing so anyway. Making it a bigger hurdle than necessary isn't enhancing the game.

Didn't play Elden Ring in coop but I had a blast playing through DS3 with a friend and it would have been even better without the constant summonings sign stuff and having to do everything twice

Not for me personally, I like the summoning for bosses specifically. However, I'm not opposed to it being in the game. It would certainly make these games more approachable to a less hardcore audience.

bender

What time is it?
My first playthrough was entirely in co-op with a buddy. We are going through again to be prepared for the DLC but really only for bosses and some legacy dungeons, that way we can do side content at our own pace. A more seamless co-op experience would be welcome, as you can mostly co-op everything anyway, just with have to constantly re-summon to get around fog doors or once a boss is defeated. They'd have to rethink the invasion mechanic, as you usually only get one invader per summon but that could be remedied by allowing additional invasions for every event that would traditionally send your co-op partner home.

Hudo

Gold Member
Elden Ring 2 should have optional active companion NPCs that fight and travel with you. So that I can go for the harem ending.

Top Bottom