• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware to release other Souls in the future without Miyazaki as director

FunkMiller

Gold Member
plus elden ring is barebones empty

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Elden Ring is one of the most densely packed open world games there is. Up there with Tears Of The Kingdom. You can't ride for more than a few seconds before stumbling on something.

CamHostage

I mean, can't be helped; the guy is incredibly busy and has ideas. Let him do his thing, the franchises have enough roots to hopefully work with whatever level of involvement he can invest and the new stuff he plays with will hopefully extend the legacy.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Elden Ring is one of the most densely packed open world games there is. Up there with Tears Of The Kingdom. You can't ride for more than a few seconds before stumbling on something.

I think such claims show how little they played of the game. Similar to "The game is mostly repeating bosses". You would have to go out of your way to get the same boss multiple times in a row and avoid the legacy dungeons as well.

OT: Miyazaki isn't the only amazing director at FromSoftware. We still have the folks behind King's Field, Echo Night, and more that still work in the company. New blood can make excellent games as well. We already have non-FROM souls likes that are as good if not better than a number of the OG titles (Nioh 2, Lies of P, etc). Plenty of room for them to grow and expand their talent.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think such claims show how little they played of the game. Similar to "The game is mostly repeating bosses". You would have to go out of your way to get the same boss multiple times in a row and avoid the legacy dungeons as well.

OT: Miyazaki isn't the only amazing director at FromSoftware. We still have the folks behind King's Field, Echo Night, and more that still work in the company. New blood can make excellent games as well. We already have non-FROM souls likes that are as good if not better than a number of the OG titles (Nioh 2, Lies of P, etc). Plenty of room for them to grow and expand their talent.

Too Much No GIF by Discovery

Kokoloko85

Eh, won’t be as exciting as Miyazaki in charge, hope they do a better job than Dark Souls 2.
Id hate to play a Bloodborne 2 without him

Kokoloko85

I played it and it didnt feel the same at all. From Rolls, colour pallete, lore, atmosphere, level design, bosses. Music they got down though.
I dont know how people play Dark Souls 1, Demons Souls, Bloodborne and think Dark Souls 2 is the same.

Also cant agree with Nioh 2 and Lies of P being better than DsS, DS, Bloodborne, Sekiro etc. In my opinion anyway. Im a huge fan of how his games feel. Havent liked any Souls game imitation except Nioh, Wu Long.

Miyazaki has taken Fromsoft to new heights, the other directors might be great but Miyazaki they are not.
And Id love a new Kings Field on VR though

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I genuinely love all the official From souls releases. It’s interesting to see here how so many people find certain games to be their favorites. I think it speaks to to depth of gameplay and mechanics that there isn’t a clear winner by and large. They all have their fans, which is a feat in and of itself.

For the record though, here is the correct order from best to worst:

DS1 > Elden Ring > BB > DeS > DS2 > DS3 > Sekiro

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think such claims show how little they played of the game.

Agreed. I don't honestly believe anyone who says Elden Ring is empty has actually played the game for any length of time whatsoever.

That's not even a commentary on the game's quality, just on the objective fact that From stuffed the Lands Between with more stuff to do than pretty much any other open world game that's ever been made. I spent 180 hours in that game, and a lot of that was just wandering off and bumping into cool shit.

Slimboy Fat

Sekiro is some of their best work so I'm very optimistic. As someone posted above: even at their lows they are way above the mediocrities of this industry. The call of Duty and Assassins Creed's etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed. I don't honestly believe anyone who says Elden Ring is empty has actually played the game for any length of time whatsoever.

That's not even a commentary on the game's quality, just on the objective fact that From stuffed the Lands Between with more stuff to do than pretty much any other open world game that's ever been made. I spent 180 hours in that game, and a lot of that was just wandering off and bumping into cool shit.
it’s one of the most idiotic complain I ever seen against this game.

Often considered the runt of the Dark Souls litter, Dark Souls 2 is still better than 90% of the games out there, I loved it just as I've loved every Souls game. There is a lot of DS2 DNA in Elden Ring, if you know you know đź‘Ś

Last edited:

Raven117

Miyazaki wants to keep doing new IPs instead of confining himself to a single series. Dark Souls 3 was pretty much the only exception where he returned to finish the series off. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Elden Ring, he wants something different. Now you might argue that there's a lot of shared DNA in these games, but they still manage to stand on their own as distinct games. The man can't clone himself, unfortunately. And if so, I would also like for him to create new games instead. Let other directors handle the established stuff.

This studio needs to evolve beyond Miyazaki. If Miyazaki were to retire some day and no one's there to pick up the torch, it'd fuck over From and their image. And the best way for that to happen is to give others free reign.
It’s this. Right here

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I played it and it didnt feel the same at all. From Rolls, colour pallete, lore, atmosphere, level design, bosses. Music they got down though.
I dont know how people play Dark Souls 1, Demons Souls, Bloodborne and think Dark Souls 2 is the same.

Also cant agree with Nioh 2 and Lies of P being better than DsS, DS, Bloodborne, Sekiro etc. In my opinion anyway. Im a huge fan of how his games feel. Havent liked any Souls game imitation except Nioh, Wu Long.

Miyazaki has taken Fromsoft to new heights, the other directors might be great but Miyazaki they are not.
And Id love a new Kings Field on VR though
For me Lies of P and Nioh 2 are better than DS2, DeS, and DS3, but not as good as Sekiro, BB, DS, or ER. That isn’t to say DS2/3 and DeS are bad to me. They are still 10/10 experiences.

Miyazaki wouldn’t have been able to create what he did without the help and management of other folks in the company. Without the ground placed with Kings Field, Echo Nigjt, and Armored Core, the Souls games would not exist. Miyazaki has said as much himself.

Kokoloko85

Miyazaki wouldn’t have been able to create what he did without the help and management of other folks in the company. Without the ground placed with Kings Field, Echo Nigjt, and Armored Core, the Souls games would not exist. Miyazaki has said as much himself.
I loved Demons Souls Lore and atmosphere, same with DS3. Nioh 1-2 has great combat though, but just not the same feeling as the souls games to me, I enjoy them. But the story/lore just feels very different.

Of course he wouldn’t have, I agree.

At the same time, he was the mind and heart behind the Souls games. A hundred great directors could of come into FromSoft but they wouldn’t have been able to create what he did/does. It’s unique, has a special feel and design to it. Plus sprinkle some Berserk lol. Im a big fan, both Dark Souls and Bloodborne are in my top 10 games of all time, so I could just be seen as a fanboy, but no1 comes close to it for me.

Tbh its the same as Berserk, you can try and imitate it, but no1 can do it. Doesn’t mean the others arent great like Vagabond or Vinland, but Berserk like Miyazaki’s Souls games, they have a unique feel to it that cant be replicated for me.

Shut0wen

Its literally not though its barebones as fuck for its size, especially considering a majority of the dungeons are massive that wre as linear as dark souls 3

Never got the hateboner some people have for DS2. There’s a lot of weird janky shit in it but sometimes people talk about it like it’s this Ride to Hell Retribution tier game.

WitchHunter

Banned
miyazaki-afirma-que-dark-souls-2-foi-muito-importante-para-o-futuro-da-franquia-104204.jpg

With several more games released by FromSoftware since Dark Souls 2, Miyazaki now seems more comfortable entrusting future games to other directors, saying there

It’s an idea he doubles-down on:

While Miyazaki doesn’t elaborate too much, he tells IGN that how he managed the role of Supervisor during work on Dark Souls 2 is “one little area of regret” for him. Personally, he enjoys “a lot of projects where I am director, so I think a supervisor role for me is just something I’m not used to and just is maybe not quite a good fit.”
Now is the time for Miya to make a children's game. Ponies, Donkeys, Birbs, Giraffes, Manatees and other magical creatures come together and crucify the evil forces, suck out their life force, kick them back to where they belong, get into hell and raze it to the ground, rape every demon on sight and impregnate them with true love, hearts and big eared wonder creatures that will conceive in 9 months. And plant flower beds wherever they go. Also heal the sick, help the downtrodden. It should sell zillions.

Top Bottom