• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware to release other Souls in the future without Miyazaki as director

GymWolf

I liked ds2 enough to not be in tears after the news.

But i'm kinda more interested in what the guys behind lies of p are gonna do next compared to a non-miya souls tbh.

Ibara

It’s understandable.
I honestly don’t want DS4, that’s basically what Elden Ring is anyways.
Get my guy making new IPs

Kacho

That doesn’t mean it will be Dark Souls 2. I’m curious to see what they produce. I’d love some fresh ideas.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bloodborne Prequel !!!

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So many people tried to convince me Dark Souls 2 was good and underrated. Nope. Couldn't get into it at all. I won't be interested in non-Miyazaki games until further notice.

Methos#1975

I'm starting to think i was the only one with problems with Velstadt.
Lol, I guess it depends on builds. I don't remember how hard he was on my melee build when I beat it years ago on the PS4 but this time I went magic and he just melted.

SkylineRKR

Dark Souls 2 was fantastic in its own right. I loved the PvP and powerstancing in that game. But there were too many areas and some felt completely irrelevant. World didn't connect as masterfully as DS1. Actually Miyazaki could take some cues from DS2 for Bloodborne with its PvP and co-op for instance, or its New Game + entry at your own leisure and the burning effigies mechanic. DS3 featured some things taken from 2, but worse. I hated the PvP side in 3.

Elden Ring is very good but NG+ bored me to tears almost instantly. I rather replay one of the old games.

Nickolaidas

Dark Souls II is the worst FROM Souls game. But it's STILL a good game.

I mean, shit ....

fuck!

tBxfyHs.jpg

So yeah, by now I am pretty sure that Miyazaki has created a few disciples to preach his work, like Jesus did. It will never be as good as the real thing, but it'll be solid enough to waste my time on it.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I'm cool with this.

Anyone who hasn't played it yet, PLEASE try out Lies of P, you'll thank me later. It's every bit of a FromSoft game from great combat, amazing level design, incredible atmosphere, etc.

He was influential enough to create an entire genre of video games and on top of that he released a best selling game that feels like the peak of his vision. He could retire tomorrow and I would be absolutely fine with that news.
someone said souls games are just reskins... and i cant unsee it
That's what a genre can be at times, yes.

That's what a genre can be at times, yes.
souls games are sub-genre at best, and even that feels too generous.

played them all, love the games (esp. DS1) but the souls formula is pretty stale at this point.
they all basically play the same, and while little differences in gameplay can feel pretty big (e.g. no blocking in bloodborne, an emphasis on fighting single opponents vs fighting a small group of enemies), a new souls games doesnt really give you anything... new.

souls games are sort of in a prison of their own rigid formula.
hopefully they can mix it up a bit going forward.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Dark Souls 2 brought in power stance which was such a massive combat improvement in terms of player choice. Glad it made a comeback in Elden Ring.

souls games are sub-genre at best, and even that feels too generous.

played them all, love the games (esp. DS1) but the souls formula is pretty stale at this point.
they all basically play the same, and while little differences in gameplay can feel pretty big (e.g. no blocking in bloodborne, an emphasis on fighting single opponents vs fighting a small group of enemies), a new souls games doesnt really give you anything... new.

souls games are sort of in a prison of their own rigid formula.
hopefully they can mix it up a bit going forward.
Every genre has its points of solidarity to define it. Metroidvania games will involve gaining new mechanics for backtracking, for example. Doom-likes/Boomer shooters will usually involve corridor-based level design, tons of enemies, circle strafing, and ADS-type aim always on.

If you're genuinely looking to have different and fun experiences within the genre and you're not just looking to handwave away or nitpick an entire genre due to a few trappings, then try out these following games:

Remnant
Remnant 2
Jedi: Fallen Order
Hollow Knight
Prince of Persia: Lost Crown
Death's Door
Sekiro
Nioh
Nioh 2
Armored Core 6

Other than that I think what it sounds like you're looking for is genre-blending, which in that case I would recommend Remnant 1/2 because those are more third person shooters and Armored Core 6 because it's a fast paced mech game.

StueyDuck

miyazaki-afirma-que-dark-souls-2-foi-muito-importante-para-o-futuro-da-franquia-104204.jpg

With several more games released by FromSoftware since Dark Souls 2, Miyazaki now seems more comfortable entrusting future games to other directors, saying there

It’s an idea he doubles-down on:

While Miyazaki doesn’t elaborate too much, he tells IGN that how he managed the role of Supervisor during work on Dark Souls 2 is “one little area of regret” for him. Personally, he enjoys “a lot of projects where I am director, so I think a supervisor role for me is just something I’m not used to and just is maybe not quite a good fit.”
I believe its because they like money. And having more of it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bringing new talents to the team is healthy for the studio, the fact is just like everyone Miyazaki will not make games forever and eventually retire.

I actually have become big fan of Masaru Yamamura after Sekiro and Armored Core VI.

Every genre has its points of solidarity to define it. Metroidvania games will involve gaining new mechanics for backtracking, for example. Doom-likes/Boomer shooters will usually involve corridor-based level design, tons of enemies, circle strafing, and ADS-type aim always on.

If you're genuinely looking to have different and fun experiences within the genre and you're not just looking to handwave away or nitpick an entire genre due to a few trappings, then try out these following games:

Remnant
Remnant 2
Jedi: Fallen Order
Hollow Knight
Prince of Persia: Lost Crown
Death's Door
Sekiro
Nioh
Nioh 2
Armored Core 6

Other than that I think what it sounds like you're looking for is genre-blending, which in that case I would recommend Remnant 1/2 because those are more third person shooters and Armored Core 6 because it's a fast paced mech game.
souls games arent a genre.
"soulslike" is somewhat accepted as a sub-genre, but that's debated.
metroidvania is a generally accepted sub-genre.
platformer is a genre.

regardless, it goes back to the souls formula, which is what i was criticizing.
it's stale IMO, and the real souls games arent a whole lot more than a reskin.
for example, MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 are all similar games, but you wouldnt argue theyre reskins.

also thanks but not looking for games recommendations. already played most of those.

Naked Lunch

This is not good news.
Dark Souls II was a complete waste of time - completely outclassed by the others in the series. Utterly forgettable.
Better off just replaying the Miyazaki games.

kiphalfton

Sad when all the best game designers are getting up there in age, and it's only a matter of time before they retire.

To add insult to injury, theres a huge gulf in talent/taste between them and those who will replace them.

Top Bottom