• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Hearing: Xbox CFO Tim Stuart confirms the Nintendo Switch is an Xbox competitor and has impacted the price of Xbox Series S

TOM WARREN3:00 PM GMT-3
Nintendo Switch impacted Xbox Series S pricing.
We’re back on the Nintendo Switch beat again. I knew it would come eventually. Microsoft’s lawyer is questioning Xbox CFO Tim Stuart now.
Stuart confirms the Nintendo Switch is an Xbox competitor and has impacted the price of Xbox Series S:
Yes at that price point when you’re considering playing FIFA or Minecraft or any of the games across platform, you have to make sure your price relative to the competition in the market
jbareham_180301_2346_nintendo_switch_0014.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I just wanna know what Nintendo feels about this. It feels like they’re always on the sidelines but are the actual masterminds.

Nintendo is probably laughing at Sony's and Microsoft's dependence on third party games which is what the crux of this acquisition is really all about. Meanwhile, Switch bestselling games are dominated by first party.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Topher

Gold Member
But I've been told by the counsel here on GAF Nintendo isn't competing for the same video gaming entertainment dollars. Who to believe?

It's all about the games. The bestselling games on Nintendo Switch are entirely different than the bestselling games on PS and Xbox.

Unknown?

Nintendo is probably laughing at Sony's and Microsoft's dependence on third party games which is what the crux of this acquisition is really all about. Meanwhile, Switch bestselling games are dominated by first party.
Trust me, Nintendo wishes they had the same 3rd parties and outside 5% of them, they should. Those bigger games like COD and GTA should have been ported.

nowhat

"Sony is not a competitor, from our POV it's more like Google/Amazon/Apple that are a threat to us."
"Oh wait, Nintendo Switch exists."
"So how about that Colecovision? Kinda unfair that it has had such a head start."

Topher

Gold Member
Trust me, Nintendo wishes they had the same 3rd parties and outside 5% of them, they should. Those bigger games like COD and GTA should have been ported.

I'm sure they would love to have those games, but they are not dependent on them. Either way, I don't see COD or GTA having nearly the same impact with Nintendo gamers as PS/Xbox. I certainly didn't buy Switch to play games like those.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Look at her go “everybody during Covid was on their 1500$ PCs”

Amazing this shit is gold I LOVE AMERICA

Last edited:

RickMasters

Nintendo is always the competition. Anyone to deny that is just on the losing side.
This. its weird how people act like nintendo is not in the business of seeling consoles and tell themselvces that this is not a three horse race. Ihighly doubt sony or MS see this as a two horse race...no matter what the FTC says. there are people who only have one console.. like myself...and we choose. we dont have time to play every game on every console so we choose one and be done with it. who gets our money? depends....but we as consumers dont see two consoles.....we see three.

Nydius

Trust me, Nintendo wishes they had the same 3rd parties and outside 5% of them, they should.
You’ve got that exactly backwards.

Sony and Microsoft wishes they had thirty to near forty year old IPs that can sell millions of copies over a weekend. Tears of the Kingdom sold more in 3 days than GoW Ragnarok did in 3 months. Sony and/or Microsoft would kill to have a fraction of the staying and selling power of Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon.

Nintendo’s first party offering covers almost every base: racing, sports, fighting, action, western RPG, JRPG, life sim, even third person shooter - all of which sell very well. Nintendo doesn’t need those third parties.

Last edited:

Deerock71

It's all about the games. The bestselling games on Nintendo Switch are entirely different than the bestselling games on PS and Xbox.
That's akin to saying Tears of the Kingdom and Mario wouldn't sell gangbusters on Sony and Microsoft consoles.

RickMasters

I'm sure they would love to have those games, but they are not dependent on them. Either way, I don't see COD or GTA having nearly the same impact with Nintendo gamers as PS/Xbox. I certainly didn't buy Switch to play games like those.
I think if nintendo made hardware that was equal in power to xbox and PS5, this narrative would die quickly. I think if most people could only choose one console...they would go with a powerful nintendo that could play all third party exclusives at the same level as rival platforms. if we are talking exclusives, them they still make the best as far as the three console manufactures go. if they just built a console that was equal to their rivcals in the same gen they would mop the floor with MS and sony. they already do it with less powerful hardware. Im saying that as somebody that bought a series X over the switch or PS5. Nintendo would smoke the competition if they built equally powerful hardware. they already beat sonmy and MS twice with weaker hardware.

Thirty7ven

Banned
MS and the Judge arguing flippers and running shoes basically the same, can get them at the same store.

Go into a supermarket and whiskey and eggs are right there. If you can’t buy the eggs you just take the whiskey home.

Topher

Gold Member
That's akin to saying Tears of the Kingdom and Mario wouldn't sell gangbusters on Sony and Microsoft consoles.

They would but I don't think it works both ways. Even games that sell well on Xbox and PS like Lego Star Wars doesn't make the yearly top 10 on Switch.

I think if nintendo made hardware that was equal in power to xbox and PS5, this narrative would die quickly. I think if most people could only choose one console...they would go with a powerful nintendo that could play all third party exclusives at the same level as rival platforms. if we are talking exclusives, them they still make the best as far as the three console manufactures go. if they just built a console that was equal to their rivcals in the same gen they would mop the floor with MS and sony. they already do it with less powerful hardware. Im saying that as somebody that bought a series X over the switch or PS5. Nintendo would smoke the competition if they built equally powerful hardware. they already beat sonmy and MS twice with weaker hardware.

No, they wouldn't because if they built equal hardware then they would have to sacrifice portability and that is where they have found the most success.

Last edited:

RickMasters

They would but I don't think it works both ways. Even games that sell well on Xbox and PS like Lego Star Wars doesn't make the yearly top 10 on Switch.

No, they wouldn't because if they built equal hardware then they would have to sacrifice portability and that is where they have found the most success.
in the generation they beat the X360 and PS3 it was with motion controls and simple games

In this gen it was the handheld thing.,.....

Next gen we dont know what nintendo will do to differentiate themselves. we only know they will do something... but I believe if they decide to join back in the "power race" they will be a problem for sony qand MS. their exclusives are amazing. if joe the average gamer can play zelda and mario and xenogears....on top of COD, AC etc. at the same spec as the latest Xbox or PS...MS and sony will have a problem. I know portability was a big selling point with the switch but it was non existent with the wii. they dont need portability to be their differentiator. People really do choose the switch for those Nintendo exclusives. I know I would be tempted. and im not one of these people that feel like I need to own every console and play every big game. I could be swayed by a powerful Nintendo and I dont think im the only one. especially if they can have GTA6, AC, COd and all those big games running just like it does on Xbox or PS. I mean.....you get nintendo exclusives on top of that.......that would be compelling selling point, I think. the best exclusives withh all the third party stuff running like for like with the most up to date xbox/PS.

Topher

Gold Member
in the generation they beat the X360 and PS3 it was with motion controls and simple games

In this gen it was the handheld thing.,.....

Next gen we dont know what nintendo will do to differentiate themselves. we only know they will do something... but I believe if they decide to join back in the "power race" they will be a problem for sony qand MS. their exclusives are amazing. if joe the average gamer can play zelda and mario and xenogears....on top of COD, AC etc. at the same spec as the latest Xbox or PS...MS and sony will have a problem. I know portability was a big selling point with the switch but it was non existent with the wii. they dont need portability to be their differentiator. People really do choose the switch for those Nintendo exclusives. I know I would be tempted. and im not one of these people that feel like I need to own every console and play every big game. I could be swayed by a powerful Nintendo and I dont think im the only one. especially if they can have GTA6, AC, COd and all those big games running just like it does on Xbox or PS. I mean.....you get nintendo exclusives on top of that.......that would be compelling selling point, I think. the best exclusives withh all the third party stuff running like for like with the most up to date xbox/PS.

Nintendo has always been hit/miss with dedicated consoles but consistently successful with portables. I seriously doubt they are going to change that up going forward. But we shall see...

Last edited:

RickMasters

Nintendo has always been hit/miss with dedicated consoles but consistently successful with portables. I seriously doubt they are going to change that up going forward. But we shall see...
They could surprise us. they always do. I havent owned a nintendo since the gamecube but even I get green eyed when I look at the combination of 8 and 16 bit classics and new stuff like the xeno games and zelda. I think if they got back into the power race things would be suprisingly different from the gamecube era. but hey...we may never know, anyway.

Top Bottom