• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUNimation has no involvement in upcoming English "Dragon Ball Super" dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

farisr

Good maybe ill actually watch it in English and it will probably have the Japanese soundtrack too

The entirety of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z are available in the Funimation DVDS with a 5.1 audio track that has English voices and the original Japanese soundtrack.

farisr

Going to have to cosign this. Its like waking up in bizarro world seeing people legit like Funimation. They were HATED back in the day.

That's because the initial dub they did, they had a very rough transition when they took over. Hadn't settled into the voices/performances. They redubbed over a lot of the rough stuff now, released the show with the japanese soundtrack, and released a vastly superior Kai dub (basing this off comments, I haven't actually seen Kai dubbed) as well.Released dragonbox editions of the series as well. Gaining a lot of goodwill from the fans.

Their dubs are generally good now for any anime.
I wouldn't mind if Ocean did the dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flg6Wk2lkIw
Oh man, that music is just irritating.

Mesousa

Banned
That's because the initial dub they did, they had a very rough transition when they took over. Hadn't settled into the voices/performances. They redubbed over a lot of the rough stuff now, released the show with the japanese soundtrack, and released a vastly superior Kai dub (basing this off comments, I haven't actually seen Kai dubbed) as well.Released dragonbox editions of the series as well. Gaining a lot of goodwill from the fans.

Their dubs are generally good now for any anime.Oh man, that music is just irritating.

Looking at your avatar didnt they do the english dub of School rumble? I can't imagine how that turned out lol.

Daingurse

Fuckkkkkkkk! I have gotten so used to the Funi actors, grew up with these motherfuckers. Are we going back to the Ocean Dub? My preferred dub up until Captain Ginyu fights Goku lol.

Seriously? No Funimation dub, no watch. Might as well watch the Japanese dub at that point.

Edit: Oh it could be the international english one as stated...

Gonzalez

Banned
My preferred dub up until Captain Ginyu fights Goku lol.
Oh wow, I remember getting super pissed off after 100+ plus new episodes in a row, the show all of a sudden restarted with the first episode(this happened to me twice when I watched it in syndication). I remember which episode it was too. It was the one where the Ginyu's were testing Goku, and Captain Ginyu notices that Goku has been dodging them using super speed.

213372bu

Banned
Lol, calm down guys.

There's absolutely no way in hell FUNimation isn't going to go straight for a English dub for Super and have the potential to rake in tons of cash when they feel the time is right.

"The upcoming English dub is not ours" =/= "we won't be doing a Super dub."

All signs point that FUNimation not doing a Super dub is absolutely ridiculous from multiple standpoints.

knkng

Oh wow, I remember getting super pissed off after 100+ plus new episodes in a row, the show all of a sudden restarted with the first episode(this happened to me twice when I watched it in syndication). I remember which episode it was too. It was the one where the Ginyu's were testing Goku, and Captain Ginyu notices that Goku has been dodging them using super speed.

That particular dub (Ocean Group/Saban/FUNi) only ran for 53 episodes (edited down from 67). But yeah, I feel your pain. I remember when it ended and then just looped back to the beginning again (I want to say 1997?)

Gonzalez

Banned
That particular dub (Ocean Group/Saban/FUNi) only ran for 53 episodes (edited down from 67). But yeah, I feel your pain. I remember when it ended and then just looped back to the beginning again (I want to say 1997?)

Man, sometimes that show felt like it went on forever. I guess that's what happens when your local station only airs two episodes a week(one hour block). Although I remember they switched to four episodes a week(two hour block) during the 2nd run.

But yeah, it felt like someone prematurely knocking down your dominos before you finished your line.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You guys are misunderstanding this news.

They have done this before. It's more like the "BIG GREEN" Malaysian dub. It's for the english speaking parts of asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

Nothing to see here. (excpet we hopefully get another hilariously bad dub)

That's not the Big Green dub, that's the Speedy dub for Malaysian markets
The Big Green dub AKA the AB Groupe dub was intended for Canadian release, but the plan fell through and Ocean Group got that. But VHS tapes with the dub track were released in the UK. Footage of the Big Green dub

Their dubs are generally good now for any anime.

The DBZ Kai dub is very good.
A highlight is Chris Ayres as Frieza (he also plays him in Resurrection F). Anyone that says Linda Young is better is blinded by nostalgia.

Branson

This and no faulconer is reason enough to not even bother with this.

If Kai is any indication of what super will be like, I'd hate it IMMENSELY
You're way behind the current state of how Funi does things now. It's going to have the original Japanese music. As it should. It's not 1999 anymore. Plus it's going to be accurate and well acted like Kai and the new movies are.

They've thankfully gotten away from the old dub as far as possible.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
All you had to do was read the news about the dub last week to figure this out.

Like fuckin, it says in most news articles about it that it's for Toonami Asia, so even if it was a funimation dub, it wasn't going to be coming to america.

Koppai

There will probably be a Funimation dub, this is probably just the Asian English dub. No way Dragon Ball would not have Funimation involved in dubbing for the US market...

Team Four star>Funimation

vKSrVGI.gif

Mortemis

Banned
Toonami (USA) - what everybody on this board is likely familiar with - and Toonami Asia aren't as closely related as you think they are. Considering there are already multiple English dubs for Dragon Ball/Dragonball Z, this is indeed a non-issue. If the US English dub (which would granted be the premier English dub for most of the world) wasn't done by Funimation, then yes that would be a big deal. This isn't.

The real issue is how braindamaged do Toei execs have to be to:

• not have a Funimation dub already in the works for the US (and most of the rest of the English speaking world),
  • not have a Spanish dub already in the works (I'm not familiar with who did the Spanish dubs for the most well known Spanish dubs but I know the series is super popular in Spanish speaking countries and I see it all the time on TV when I've been in Spanish speaking countries for extended periods of time)
  • not have an official simulcast (through Funimation or even Hulu or Daisuki or Crunchyroll or SOMEONE) for the show as it airs in Japan
Like WTF is Toei doing?

Toei has to be the anime company that's leaving the most money on the table. Both with super and the buu saga Kai dub.

Magwik

Banned
Toei has to be the anime company that's leaving the most money on the table. Both with super and the buu saga Kai dub.
They have to know what they're doing. RoF did really good in its theater run, and they had it done really quickly too (even were willing to show a subbed version in Hollywood alongside the Japan release). They're probably just being greedy or Funimation is being cheap.

Mortemis

Banned
They have to know what they're doing. RoF did really good in its theater run, and they had it done really quickly too (even were willing to show a subbed version in Hollywood alongside the Japan release). They're probably just being greedy or Funimation is being cheap.

Toei is probably asking for a shit ton of money I'm guessing. It's crazy seeing the difference of how they handle the films and the tv series though.

Hell, Buu Kai only happened because of Kai's success in America.

Lmao, yeah somethings up with them.

TuXx

Toei is so stupid. Even though Dragon Ball is a global product, its main audience is out here in the west. Having a terrible english dub only hurts the brand you're trying to sell.

Bishop89

You're way behind the current state of how Funi does things now. It's going to have the original Japanese music. As it should. It's not 1999 anymore. Plus it's going to be accurate and well acted like Kai and the new movies are.

They've thankfully gotten away from the old dub as far as possible.
i know, which is why im sad super will turn out the way it will

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
That's not the Big Green dub, that's the Speedy dub for Malaysian markets
The Big Green dub AKA the AB Groupe dub was intended for Canadian release, but the plan fell through and Ocean Group got that. But VHS tapes with the dub track were released in the UK. Footage of the Big Green dub

Ah. I just grabbed the first link I found. I have only heard of it from legend.

Anth0ny

The abridged dub is legit amazing.

Do we actually know what the breakdown is for each part of the world?

I feel like they probably sell more DBZ video games and DVDs in North America than anywhere else... but Japan stomps on us when it comes to stuff like toys, cards, books/manga etc.

Zekes!

You would have assumed with Dragon Ball being so globally popular, there would have been an English already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom