• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Final Fantasy XI press conference ended [OP updated with details]

Come to think of it, its incredible how many Final Fantasy products we have/will get on PS4 just 1.5 years into its lifespan.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae demo
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV

On PS3 we got all of FFXIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. While on PS2 we got Dirge of Cerberus, FFX, X-2, FFXI and FFXII.

Whoa wait, did I miss something?

Einhander

To be honest, I think instanced dungeons are more bad than good. Good because it's a more streamlined system of bringing together players in a party, but bad because it puts pressure on the player prior to beginning a dungeon. It's the way it's designed, from the start when you see the party waiting to proceed and the text which appears "Light Party" before you can control your character. All of it is kinda like that anticipation (or dread) of doing a dungeon run. How games like FFXI and Everquest designed dungeons was making them a part of the world itself. To me, that gave me the perception of ease. It didn't feel like a race and there weren't any time limits (like in FFXIV).

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
PlayOnline was on my shit list right when the FFIX guide came out. That book is so fucking useless now that all the fucking links with the strategy and secret stuff are dead.
The Brady Games FFXI guide was notoriously bad. I remember that distinctly.

Einhander

I remember the day they stopped trains from attacking bystanders. A sad, sad day indeed! My favorite past-time, rescuing newbs in Valkurm Dunes, was forever lost.

Rescuing? You did that wrong. Merely watch in awe and type an "lol" in the public chat window.

I helped players in those situations sometimes.

Dominator

Come to think of it, its incredible how many Final Fantasy products we have/will get on PS4 just 1.5 years into its lifespan.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV

On PS3 we got all of FFXIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. While on PS2 we got Dirge of Cerberus, FFX, X-2, FFXI and FFXII.
You forgot X/X-2 coming in May as well.

Haint

This is the allure of all MMOs made before WoW turned it into a playground for kids.

Very true. What really surprises me is that despite how much more punishing, difficult, masochistic early year's XI was, the player base was (in general) incredibly patient, understanding, and accommodating. I remember total strangers would spend hours leading noobs through quests point by point for nothing but a /wave or /bow. XIV's community could not be any more different. 9 times out of 10, people would insta-rage quit at the first death. The demands for everyone to have best gear in the game and to have studied dozens of hours of Youtube walkthroughs was even worse. The contrast between the 2 is astonishing.

Gojeran

Very true. What really surprises me is that despite how much more punishing, difficult, masochistic early year's XI was, the player base was (in general) incredibly patient, understanding, and accommodating. I remember total strangers would spend hours leading noobs through quests point by point for nothing but a /wave or /bow. XIV's community could not be any more different. 9 times out of 10, people would insta-rage quite at the first death. The demands for everyone to have best gear in the game and to have studied dozens of hours of Youtube walkthroughs was even worse. The contrast between the 2 is astonishing.

I was both of one of those people helped and one who helped expecting nothing in return. Now it's like (in 14) oh shit a new player fuck this I'm out. Or is this your first run? Did you watch youtube? You didn't? Well aren't you the ass hole to expect us to play the game with you then. FFXI had some elite ass holes for sure but nothing like the crap in 14.

Arsenic

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV

What is this? Lol

1) FF15 has not released yet, so it shouldnt count as a "game released within 1.5 years"
2) A demo is not a game
3) Did you forget that Final Fantasy XIV released on the PS3 first?

That's 3 titles off that list right away, then theres the argument if an HD remake should count as a game or not.

Lets not start sucking SE's dick just yet, they have a lot of work to do to turn the last ten years around

Haint

I was both of one of those people helped and one who helped expecting nothing in return. Now it's like (in 14) oh shit a new player fuck this I'm out. Or is this your first run? Did you watch youtube? You didn't? Well aren't you the ass hole to expect us to play the game with you then. FFXI had some elite ass holes for sure but nothing like the crap in 14.

Yea XIV's community is absolutely toxic, by far the worst of any online game I've ever played. Admittedly I never played WoW, but supposedly that's where most of XIV's base migrated from. Was it the same way?

Yea XIV's community is absolutely toxic, by far the worst of any online game I've ever played. Admittedly I never played WoW, but supposedly that's where most of XIV's base migrated from. Was it the same way?

I mostly only talked to my FC who were in turn people I also played XI with back in the day so it was better for me. Sadly FFXIV was missing that community feel of "everyone on the server knows each other" even with 3500~4500 people online, there were those names you remembered and what class they were and when they got a badass item the whole server knew who had it. 14 lacks that small town feel I guess.

I agree its a better more modern game but it is missing some heart imo.

Also the generalized damage across the board made the whole game a bit uninteresting for me. Kept wishing Black Mages' did specific elemental damage and what not. I know Yoshi P's reasons behind the damage design but...

Moonkeis

I created an LS during XIV's initial launch. We had a great crew, many ex-FFXI players that were always willing to help out. Unfortunately, the game was a mess at the time so everyone bailed.

Pachimari

What is this? Lol

1) FF15 has not released yet, so it shouldnt count as a "game released within 1.5 years"
2) A demo is not a game
3) Did you forget that Final Fantasy XIV released on the PS3 first?

That's 3 titles off that list right away, then theres the argument if an HD remake should count as a game or not.

Lets not start sucking SE's dick just yet, they have a lot of work to do to turn the last ten years around
Man I think you misunderstood the whole post. I'm not even going to explain it to you, as you sir, are a waste to me.

Okay whatever. I said PRODUCTS, not games. Those all the listed ones are legit. And I said games of these past 1.5 years plus upcoming ones.

Get it? Or are you just gonna laugh in my face again?

That's weird and totally opposite from my experience. I've played tons of MMOs, and FFXIV is by far the friendliest community. There are elitists in all MMOs, for sure, but every time I've been the newb in an instance in FFXIV, the people I've been grouped with have always been understanding, etc. Very different than my experience in, say, WoW, where if you're new I had people just leave all the time.

Epcott

The announcement of an HD version for XB1 and Wii U would be cool. That would give consumers lacking a PS console the option to play an online FF, without it directly competing with XIV.

Puaru1

Stay the fuck away from League of Legends then.

Ploid 3.0

This game was such a huge part of my daily routine 10 years ago. Even when I didn't play much I was online every day checking NM spawns, AH sales, seeing if my LS was planning any major quest. I know lots of people considered the game too grind heavily (and to be fair they are right). But I have yet to encounter another game that fostered such communication, understand and dedication from other players. It was an amazing experience (and one that FF14 fails to match on any level).

Tried this game a year or so again... my god what did they do to you. :(

I expected faster leveling, moving speed maybe more shops to get essential gear/spells. The whole thing is just a frankenstein of mismatched system that make no logical sense. Nobody groups anymore, no one speaks to one another... just made me depressed.

Sounds like my experience with FFXIV lately outside of people grouping (Duty Finder automated grouping is required for a lot of content). So I'm guessing soloing things aren't even challenging anymore, and my chance to level PUP like I leveled my Beastmaster is long gone. One of the things I don't like about FFXIV is how easy it is to solo stuff in the open world, poor FFXI.

During the free week of FFXIV I just spammed FATEs to get my warrior to 50 finally. A white mage came to the area asking if there were any FATE parties going on. I let him/her know that everyone that was seen were most likely solo like I was. A few minutes later the whm left.

They made FATEs easy to get gold rank solo now. A year ago FATES were the closest to the FFXI leveling up experience to me. You grew with people on your server, remembered some of their names, and made fun of some of their names. Unless you are in a static or a very active Guild, a lot of FFXIV might as well be a SP game with advanced A.I. if you ask me.

I have because of the horror stories I heard of it. It looks like good fun but I intimidated by the notoriety of it's community.

I had a window to learn Dota 2 with gaf but the kb/mouse stuff made me hate it at the time. I now play Dead Island Epidemic lol...

Boss Mog

Wow 10 pages, I didn't think many people still cared for FFXI; it's nice to see this.

I want to be really hopeful and think SE will announce a remake or sequel or even an engine upgrade that would allow for 60fps without hacking. PS4 or Vita ports would be insane. Heck even a new full expansion could be cool.

But sadly I'm gonna keep my hopes really low and at best we'll get a new Abyssea style cash-in add-on or worst case scenario they'll just say that they're stopping service at the end of the year or something like that.

I'm pretty sure FFXI still pulls in money so hopefully that worst case scenario won't happen but if they want it to keep moving forward and stop the playerbase from dwindling down to nothing they're gonna need to do something to get new players on board.

What's up with the Youtube link being Private though?

PS: The dream is that they drop support for PS2 and 360 and do a remake for PC and PS4 with remastered soundtrack and dual-audio voice over for cutscenes. Obviously characters would transfer over and most importantly inventory slots would never be an issue. Man that would be the dream I would buy the CE on both PC and PS4. It's nice to dream...

Haint

Fair enough, though I think that applies to pretty much all the MOBA's as they all have the same reputation.

That's weird and totally opposite from my experience. I've played tons of MMOs, and FFXIV is by far the friendliest community. There are elitists in all MMOs, for sure, but every time I've been the newb in an instance in FFXIV, the people I've been grouped with have always been understanding, etc. Very different than my experience in, say, WoW, where if you're new I had people just leave all the time.

XIV may very well be "friendly" compared to other post-WoW contemporaries, depends on your point of reference. Did you play XI back in its early years heyday?

Once I reached high level, some days when I would have nothing else to do on the game I would just sit in Jeuno listening for shouts of people needing help.

Even before having a proper LS and there being LS buddies to help, I enjoyed just helping randoms.

I actually wanted to help people, I found it fun. And I remember when I was 'growing up' constantly shouting to form coffer key groups etc when I needed help and people helped me so I wanted to be a guy now that did that.

I would randomly tele people who were shouting for ports and when they went to trade the money I'd say free ^_^ and warp away. I genuinely liked trying to make the community a nicer place because I love my server! Leviathan 4 life!!! If even a handful of the people I helped/was nice too were inspired to be helpful to someone else down the line then I would be happy. :)

Yea there were shitty times too when things went wrong and I'd be frustrated at the game, but overall some of the nicest people I've met online were from random encounters on FFXI.

FFXIV I never felt like I was part of anything connected bar a few occasions. Beyond hardly even noticing chat now to just switching it off completely because of spam, or real life characters not even loading on my screen (lolPS3?) I usually just went about my business with no interaction.

I liked how you could meet people from other servers on the raid things, but for some reason 90% of them were dickheads and always felt like the group needed them more than they needed us.... I grew very tired of it very quickly.

Plus I felt the rewards were just meh. Where are my job specific items? Where is my TH+ item I could strive to be the best THF I could be type thing instead of oh joy here is some AGI+. Getting an extra tick of MP refresh gear felt like it made a difference. Nothing in FFXIV ever made me feel like I was progressing.

I love FFXI. :( Don't stop it!! :( I'm not ready!

Reveirg

Just gonna throw this here:

Shinji Hashimoto said:
“Actually, not limited to just X/X-2, we’re currently thinking of setting [a way] to have other past Final Fantasy titles playable on the PS4,” said Hashimoto. “Most of our Final Fantasy assets go up until the PS3, while most of the world has rapidly been shifting towards the PS4.”

pooptest

I'm going to guess a server merge, and more importantly, XI going F2P. Well, that would be nice.

Dropping PS2 support, and possibly 360, would be a god-send for XI. PS2, especially, is really holding the game back from looking and playing better. I have a Radeon 6970 (well, 2, actually, but moot for XI) and the game is hideously CPU-bound compared to GPU-bound and has consistent, albeit small, framerate drops. Even with the best video card and/or CPU, you'll still notice framerate drops in heavily trafficed area due to 30fps cap and overall ancient coding, due to supporting older hardware.

Ploid 3.0

The dungeon systems changed a lot from a year ago. There are bonuses to being in a dungeon with a new person, and people have so much high end gear now that they can destroy a lot of things unless it's a crazy trial like Titan Ex redzone spam. There's less wipes, less frustration, and people just want their soldiery so pulling new people through stuff is better.

I hated dungeons when I first tried FFXIV, and wanting to main summoner I couldn't really avoid them (but quit them after I got garuda). With the few amount of dungeons I did back then I crossed about 2 runs with angry people that made me just want to exit and do something else. Even now, I observed on twitch, people will do stuff like die on Titan over and over to try to get a party to kick them so they don't get penalized for leaving. Also a crystal tower situation where people may afk until their item drops, or leave after their needed fight is done. There's not much social risk in being a jerk in FFXIV, and now I'm imagining it's the same for FFXI (which is a shame).

You know, in all my years of playing XI I don't recall a single person being a dick to me about my gear, even when it was shit. There was always this underlying elitism (what MMO doesn't have that) but I never ran into anyone vocal about it in game. Even when someone was holding a group back you usually found some indirect means of getting rid of them or toughed it out.

Can't say the same for any other MMO I've played, XIV included. Maybe in 10 years of on and off play I just got lucky!

Fair enough, though I think that applies to pretty much all the MOBA's as they all have the same reputation.

Is there any online/multiplayer game that doesn't have "toxic community" nowadays?

People were more friendly back on the early days of the Internet. I've been playing mmo since the early 2000s. People were friendly, chatty, and helpful, even in F2P games. Occasional meetups with guildies or just friends from the games was a norm back then. You just can't simply compare those days with today. Those days are long gone.

Qasiel

You know, in all my years of playing XI I don't recall a single person being a dick to me about my gear, even when it was shit. There was always this underlying elitism (what MMO doesn't have that) but I never ran into anyone vocal about it in game. Even when someone was holding a group back you usually found some indirect means of getting rid of them or toughed it out.

Can't say the same for any other MMO I've played, XIV included. Maybe in 10 years of on and off play I just got lucky!

I remember when I'd just started out and I was walking around Windurst, some guy just gave me a robe he'd made whilst levelling up his clothcraft skill. It's a small gesture once you've dumped loads of gil into crafting, but to a new player that robe meant the world to me.

I miss being a DRG.

Reveirg

I've only played 2 other MMOs but my experience is the same. XI's community is something special. I think it comes rooter in the gameplay. Ever since the beginning of XI, players either have to work together to work stuff out, or things won't end well.

Shamdeo

The elitism in FFXI was a lot more understated and passive-aggressive, but it was very much present. FFXIV has more off-the-cuff jerkiness, which still sucks, but I've made far more friends in that game than I had in FFXI.

That aside, on the whole, I think they're both on the good end of the spectrum when it comes to online communities.

Haint

That was my experience with XI as well, and I had over 5000 hours. I remember people would play WAR/WHM wearing full Bronze gear in the Dunes and Quifim and most would largely just let them try their thing. There was no tongue lashing or cussing them out, if the party was too gimp to damage the Crabs (as they often were), everyone would just agree "Welp guys, I don't think we can kill these things", exchange pleasantries, and disband.

Is there any online/multiplayer game that doesn't have "toxic community" nowadays?

People were more friendly back on the early days of the Internet. I've been playing mmo since the early 2000s. People were friendly, chatty, and helpful, even in F2P games. Occasional meetups with guildies or just friends from the games was a norm back then. You just can't simply compare those days with today. Those days are long gone.

You may be right, I've had the same thought myself but couldn't really up with a reason why. What could have happened to cause that kind of shift in behavior and mentality?

Man I think you misunderstood the whole post. I'm not even going to explain it to you, as you sir, are a waste to me.

Okay whatever. I said PRODUCTS, not games. Those all the listed ones are legit. And I said games of these past 1.5 years plus upcoming ones.

Get it? Or are you just gonna laugh in my face again?

Lol

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That was my experience with XI as well, and I had over 5000 hours. I remember people would play WAR/WHM wearing full Bronze gear in the Dunes and Quifim and people would largely just let them try their thing. There was no tongue lashing or cussing them out, if the party was too gimp to damage the Crabs, everyone would just agree "Welp guys, I don't think we can kill these things", exchange pleasantries, and disband.

It's still like this in the Japanese community of XIV. Kinda makes you wonder if it's the game's fault at all.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Played from PC US Launch up until a few months after the last expansion. Just didn't care for it. Was in a great Linkshell that did all the endgame stuff and I had a nearly perfectly geared summoner.

Did they ever make Mythic Weapons easier to obtain like they did with Relics via. easier, quicker, free dynamis?

Ploid 3.0

Once I reached high level, some days when I would have nothing else to do on the game I would just sit in Jeuno listening for shouts of people needing help.

Even before having a proper LS and there being LS buddies to help, I enjoyed just helping randoms.

I actually wanted to help people, I found it fun. And I remember when I was 'growing up' constantly shouting to form coffer key groups etc when I needed help and people helped me so I wanted to be a guy now that did that.

I would randomly tele people who were shouting for ports and when they went to trade the money I'd say free ^_^ and warp away. I genuinely liked trying to make the community a nicer place because I love my server! Leviathan 4 life!!! If even a handful of the people I helped/was nice too were inspired to be helpful to someone else down the line then I would be happy. :)

Yea there were shitty times too when things went wrong and I'd be frustrated at the game, but overall some of the nicest people I've met online were from random encounters on FFXI.

FFXIV I never felt like I was part of anything connected bar a few occasions. Beyond hardly even noticing chat now to just switching it off completely because of spam, or real life characters not even loading on my screen (lolPS3?) I usually just went about my business with no interaction.

I liked how you could meet people from other servers on the raid things, but for some reason 90% of them were dickheads and always felt like the group needed them more than they needed us.... I grew very tired of it very quickly.

Plus I felt the rewards were just meh. Where are my job specific items? Where is my TH+ item I could strive to be the best THF I could be type thing instead of oh joy here is some AGI+. Getting an extra tick of MP refresh gear felt like it made a difference. Nothing in FFXIV ever made me feel like I was progressing.

I love FFXI. :( Don't stop it!! :( I'm not ready!

That was me too. I loved helping people out in FFXI, when I felt no one needed my help anymore, and I decided to give up the constant search of new gear (because I felt it put me in a deeper debt with my shell and it all felt meaningless to keep getting new gear) quitting FFXI was made easier. The last thing that kept me playing was talking to old ffxi buddies, and I could do that on the linkshell forums.

I loved chilling out in Whitegate messing with people in my mandy costume. I tried messing with people in the Gold Saucer and it just pissed people off haha.

T8NiMXN.jpg

Going through my old pictures. A picture of my old limbus duo buddy trying to mpk me with a kraken. Darn warp cudgel takes so long to activate.

4Irk5rJ.jpg

Attempted mass murder :( (but oh so exciting)

Oh I forgot to mention that I tried to help people in FFXIV but no one needed help. I just ended up looking creepy trying to toss out cures to people that didn't really need it.

Same for me. I was proud that I never tried for +1 gears (unless it's dirt cheap like spike earrings or something that made sense. Having high end gear in FFXI was a luxury that was not really needed. Scorpion Harness NQ even. It was like you were in a sports car when other people were just fine being in their Toyota, Nissan, and F-150s.

Boss Mog

This. The FFXI community back in the day was the best. Everybody helped each other and there were very few assholes. Obviously the way the game was designed it was meant to be played with others but still the community was so good and often went out of its way to help one another. I think the fact the the community was so diverse helped a lot too. People from all over the world playing on the same servers and it was probably at least 40% female if not more. Also the fact that it was mostly made of of console playing FF fans rather than the typical PC MMO crowd of the time.

I remember helping people open the banishing gates in the shitadel at least twice a day.

Top Bottom