• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Final Fantasy XI press conference ended [OP updated with details]

Oh yes, it's soooo crazy that we expect them to support a game that has been profitable for them for over a decade.
Considering they barely have a development team as it is, why would they go through such an effort?

How do you even do that from a technical standpoint? Has there ever been an MMO that has made that transition before? I think you're better off taking the assets and making a new game entirely, which seems to be what they're trying to do.

Not that I like the mobile idea, but it's better than seeing Square try to accomplish something that would never get released because of development woes. Maybe anyway, I dunno how that stuff works.

KeRaSh

Single Player FFXI isn't just about experiencing the story, it's about being able to play the game offline, without intrusions, at your own pace, no monthly fee, etc.

I'd love to have it someday to give the game a bit of permanence.

There are private server projects around and some are pretty feature rich. I did some research on the topic a year or two ago in case FFXI would reach EOL at some point so I have the possibility to experience it all again.
It is definitely far from impossible for SE but would take some considerable effort to get it to a state where it's a sellable product.

saher

Banned
What about the new UI? is it still coming ?

ui2.jpg

frequency

Good to know! I thought that the game was absurdly hard to "enter" since everybody says it's hard, complex, etc.

It was hard to get into many years ago. They've made massive changes to the game since then though.

Now the biggest barrier of entry is probably figuring out how to deal with their PlayOnline junk to get an account started. Also mentally accepting that the game is 13 years old and won't be as fancy as modern MMORPGs. Like to turn in quest items you have to open a trade menu and trade the item to a NPC.
If you've played FFXIV, that's what FFXIV's weird quest item trading system came from (compared to other modern MMORPGs where quests just finish if you have the item automatically when you talk to a NPC).

But once you're able to get in the game, just install Windower and tab out to Google if you have questions or aren't sure how to do a quest. Or just join the NeoGAF shell (though I'm not part of it). The actual game itself is super easy now.

If you buy the game now you actually get a free hat that gives you constant regen (your HP regenerates over time) and refresh (your MP regenerates over time) and run speed increase for the first 30 levels of a job. Making it even easier to get started.

For those of you coming back, consider the pc version to do so. It has full controller support, is much more performant and you can use addons (there's even a minimap one).

I have placed 10 pearls on each of the starter city linkshell concierge npcs on sylph.

Ihop does a higher level content event every Tuesday at 9 est.

KeRaSh

FFXI had the best keyboard controls. I used the compact layout and never had to use the mouse for anything in the game. It was glorious. It still feels natural after all these years. It's actually why I had trouble getting used to the XIV controls.

I use a controller myself. I think a lot of folks dont realize it's available and any info I can give people to move off the console versions that barely hold together the better.

Kandinsky

FFXI had the best keyboard controls. I used the compact layout and never had to use the mouse for anything in the game. It was glorious. It still feels natural after all these years. It's actually why I had trouble getting used to the XIV controls.
Yep, mouse was/is useless for this as well!

I use a controller myself. I think a lot of folks dont realize it's available and any info I can give people to move off the console versions that barely hold together the better.
I tried controller last time I played and it took me too long to get to my 5-6-7 macro buttons D: (that requires like 5 inputs!) , I dont know how you guys do it!

Don't think I've ever played with a keyboard, not for anything more than running around town anyway. Always controller.

Actually I blame FFXI as the only reason I play XIV with a controller on PC. It pretty much controls the exact same way.

frequency

I play with a controller. I don't use macros (I know, I'm bad). I just go through the spell/ability menus.

Whatever. I'm not trying to be a top end player. Works fine for me.

Now the biggest barrier of entry is probably figuring out how to deal with their PlayOnline junk to get an account started. Also mentally accepting that the game is 13 years old and won't be as fancy as modern MMORPGs. Like to turn in quest items you have to open a trade menu and trade the item to a NPC.
But once you're able to get in the game, just install Windower and tab out to Google if you have questions or aren't sure how to do a quest. Or just join the NeoGAF shell (though I'm not part of it). The actual game itself is super easy now.

Yeah, I never got into XI, but I did the betas for XIV and my biggest problem was the account setup. It seems big Japanese publishers still haven't figured out a good way to have your platform credentials be your primary access ID; it reminded me of Metal Gear Online with Konami.

I would want to get into XI, but it never went to PS3 (it was 360 only last gen for some reason), but unless they make that mobile one, I'll never get it. I mean, it just seems to late now, and I'm already thinking about playing XIV.

Desi

I play with a controller. I don't use macros (I know, I'm bad). I just go through the spell/ability menus.

Whatever. I'm not trying to be a top end player. Works fine for me.

I only used the keyboard for talking. everything else was controller only. I did use macros a lot as I had to swap gear on Bard constantly.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Another controller user here, been playing using an old PS2 pad with adapter since 2004. Always worked for me, and I've beaten pretty much everything the game has to offer.

The only downside is that typing and fighting at the same time isn't really great!

theDeeDubs

Was going to ask this in the community thread but since controllers got brought up I figured I'd ask here.

How is using a DS4 (I'm assuming DS4windows is a necessity) with FFXI? I tried using a wired 360 controller and it wouldn't recognize the triggers, which seems to be a common problem based on some googling. I'd rather not mess with different driver fixes, and Bluetooth paring with the DS would actually be more ideal anyway since I'm trying to set up a comfy couch edition.

Was going to ask this in the community thread but since controllers got brought up I figured I'd ask here.

How is using a DS4 (I'm assuming DS4windows is a necessity) with FFXI? I tried using a wired 360 controller and it wouldn't recognize the triggers, which seems to be a common problem based on some googling. I'd rather not mess with different driver fixes, and Bluetooth paring with the DS would actually be more ideal anyway since I'm trying to set up a comfy couch edition.

Works fine. Talym/zetaepton uses one. 360 controller issue is analog triggers. You can joy2key and still use them though. Just swap macros to bumpers instead though since they are normally just auto run and take screenshot.

theDeeDubs

Works fine. Talym/zetaepton uses one. 360 controller issue is analog triggers. You can joy2key and still use them though. Just swap macros to bumpers instead though since they are normally just auto run and take screenshot.

Ah. Well if DS4 has no trigger issues I'd rather use it for Bluetooth anyway. Thanks.

ZetaEpyon

Ah. Well if DS4 has no trigger issues I'd rather use it for Bluetooth anyway. Thanks.

Yeah I use a DS4 with some version of DS4Windows. Chocobro does too, I believe.

There is some mapping that you need to do to get everything working right, but it's not too horrible. I can post the settings that I use when I get home from work tonight.

Seigyoku

Controller forever.

The weeks I was stuck playing on a keyboard were horrific and did nothing to help my other game issues.

Edit: Also since they said only fixes after November, I imagine the new UI - which was gross anyway - is dead. The end of consoles is purely a "we don't want to fix bugs on old hardware" thing.

theDeeDubs

Yeah I use a DS4 with some version of DS4Windows. Chocobro does too, I believe.

There is some mapping that you need to do to get everything working right, but it's not too horrible. I can post the settings that I use when I get home from work tonight.

That would be great. Stuck at work too so I haven't been able to mess around with it yet.

Toth

Why are they making a mobile version if they are killing the game soon anyway?

They are not killing the game, just refocusing it on mobile and pc. New content in the form of 'dynamic events' are planned for mobile apparently but we have no idea what may come to the pc version.

Kal_El

Is there a way to see if my character is still still active if I sign in to PlayOnline? Can I get him reactivated or something like that? I would love to see my Galka Drk. I also lvl'd PUP and most subs. I was playing back when the lvl cap was 75. Thanks in advance.

Kandinsky

Is there a way to see if my character is still still active if I sign in to PlayOnline? Can I get him reactivated or something like that? I would love to see my Galka Drk. I also lvl'd PUP and most subs. I was playing back when the lvl cap was 75. Thanks in advance.
Should be there, they dont really delete characters afaik.

Man. I always wished I could change my Taru to a Galka, they're the best race. I've thought about restarting on one, but the thought of having to redo missions and quests all over again makes me unhappy.

Maybe it's worth doing now for fun though.

Arzehn

Man. I always wished I could change my Taru to a Galka, they're the best race. I've thought about restarting on one, but the thought of having to redo missions and quests all over again makes me unhappy.

Not sure when you quit but at some point they reduced the HP/MP differences between races. Galka still has the most HP but it's not as big of a difference as it used to be. The other stats make marginal differences now as well since gear gives so much +str, dex, agi, etc

Not sure when you quit but at some point they reduced the HP/MP differences between races. Galka still has the most HP but it's not as big of a difference as it used to be. The other stats make marginal differences now as well since gear gives so much +str, dex, agi, etc
Nah I remember those changes, but I mean aesthetically, plus they are generally in the minority. Plastic Surgeon only does so much. I want everyone to see me that way. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I'm surprised FFXI never allowed character recreations.

Einhander

I have an older physical PC release of the game. I believe it's the Ultimate Collection or something like that. Would I be able to use the game key on my current computer if I called up Square? I used it on an old rig years ago.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I have an older physical PC release of the game. I believe it's the Ultimate Collection or something like that. Would I be able to use the game key on my current computer if I called up Square? I used it on an old rig years ago.

It's all based on your play online account. If you activated it then you just need to look up that info.

FFXI didn't have vanity, campy mounts and a lot of stuff you see in modern MMORPG.

Vana was a world first and foremost, no jumping around on a flaming horse and whatnot.

This is one thing I dearly wish 14 held on to. It would make it so much more appealing than it currently is to me.

Shouta

OK, Also, are the MKD, ACP, ASA items useful anymore? Just deciding whether or not the Ultimate or just the seeker's pack is good, lol

Top Bottom