• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

There's a bunch of stuff people recommended here repeatedly you don't have to sift through the internet to find stuff I'm not saying that at all, but I don't understand how it's elitist rather than just logical to think that if you barely listened to fifteen albums all year that that might be one of the main reasons Views is in your top ten of them...

Drake released a solid album but it's no TLOP, SS3, or Venis. I really enjoy his masculine energy. Seems like he threatens a lot of dudes. If you aren't having sex to Drake songs you aren't living. It's 2016.

you can stay Andrew

Cool! I'm still at the starter stage when discovering the genre as a whole, and this thread is great for getting exposure to all types of new shit. Des and the like help a lot with tons of recs.

Drake released a solid album but it's no TLOP, SS3, or Venis. I really enjoy his masculine energy. Seems like he threatens a lot of dudes. If you aren't having sex to Drake songs you aren't living. It's 2016.

Hitta93

Banned
There's a bunch of stuff people recommended here repeatedly you don't have to sift through the internet to find stuff I'm not saying that at all, but I don't understand how it's elitist rather than just logical to think that if you barely listened to fifteen albums all year that that might be one of the main reasons Views is in your top ten of them...
Never said it was in my top 10. Don't even think I've listened to 10 albums this year, let alone 15, my playlist is usually shit from years or decades back.

If we're including mixtapes, that's a different discussion.

Groovy Tony/Eddie Kane by School Boy Q is a strong contender for SOTY so far.

Tae Beast went insane on both beats, Dem Jointz with the haunting vocals, Q spitting and that fucking Jada verse whew.

HiResDes

Never said it was in my top 10. Don't even think I've listened to 10 albums this year, let alone 15, my playlist is usually shit from years or decades back.

If we're including mixtapes, that's a different discussion.
You said it's better than 95 percent of the shit that's released and you haven't even listened to ten albums, that's a joke breh

Hitta93

Banned
There's a good chance I've listened to more, won't really know without a list right in front of me. Only albums I know I go back to is Flygod and Blank Face and overall favorite release is probably Lil Big Pac.

Tons of tracks littered throughout as well.

MoodyFog

Speaking of AOTY stuff, right now its not even a US album, it's MZ's "La Dictature"

la-dictature.jpg

I don't even understand French but this album is dope. Do wish we had more people in here checking for non-US stuff or maybe another thread where we could check out non-US hip hop (just not sure how much traction it would get). I love hearing sounds from different countries.

Whew my nikka 😎

Albums much better than Views:

Everybody Looking
Malibu
Bankroll Mafia
Slime Season 3
Imperial
Telefone
Blank Face
Untitled Unmastered
Coloring Book
Too High to Riot

Okay but what about macklemores album brehs

Serious answer coming:

I thought it was decent well enough, probably give it like a 68% or something like that. Macklemore is corny as fuck, but as somebody who wanted to absolutely WANTED to hate the Heist....I just couldn't do it. His music can be a lot of fun and he comes off as a really sincere guy.

IrishNinja

diving into Ka, phew

Jc get banned again pls

this, also #stopsnitchin

He's solid, but he's very overrated here.

some of ya'll never came back from drizzy & ye dropping disappointments this year

hell id even settle for the time when he kept his content in the Comics OT

oh god, every time i try with that community its someone going on about batgirl bullshit or how they don't like frank quitely or similar garbage

HiiiLife

Is outkast the only hip hop act to have all great albums back to back???

Even big bois solo efforts delivered.

the answer is yes

Flip flop rock still so catchy brehs. DONTCHA LIKE TO GROOOOOOVE.

IrishNinja

see i was gonna check out the get down but they you said only kast dropped greats back to back

scust

kast really was some greatness though, miss that shit

Reckoner

the answer is yes

Touched by wheelz of steeeeeeel

Just days ago was bumpin' that glorious track. Outkast are great.

HiResDes

the answer is yes

Nope if we count groups they're plenty that did the same... Like this little unit known as A Tribe Called Quest

Aquemini is always my favorite.

As for the question about Outkast having great albums back to back....I can think of a few others, I suppose.

On the subject of Tribe, probably a weird opinion but PITATPOR is my favorite of them, and probably my favorite rap album of all time. Still nothing like it.

HiiiLife

Aquemini is always my favorite.

As for the question about Outkast having great albums back to back....I can think of a few others, I suppose.

"Talking bout what we gonna be when we grow up I said what you wanna be, she said alive."

That album so GOAT.

Feel free to list em. It's not like it's a competition lol.

IrishNinja

On the subject of Tribe, probably a weird opinion but PITATPOR is my favorite of them, and probably my favorite rap album of all time. Still nothing like it.

...yeah, that's pretty weird! great album, but people usually go with Low End Theory (some of phife's best too) and my personal favorite, MM. you're the first ive heard riding for People's, that's interesting

"Talking bout what we gonna be when we grow up I said what you wanna be, she said alive."

That album so GOAT.

Feel free to list em. It's not like it's a competition lol.

Aesop Rock is mine, though I realize that's chalking it up to me being a bigger Aesop fan than most people. No matter.

Kendrick Lamar is also a given for me, but let's see if he can keep that up as his career goes on. Biggie is also a cheat given he died after he recorded only one album.

Thing is though.....how you define great is also a factor. Obviously Biggie's Ready To Die is a classic, but Life After Death is a good album but not a masterpiece.

...yeah, that's pretty weird! great album, but people usually go with Low End Theory (some of phife's best too) and my personal favorite, MM. you're the first ive heard riding for People's, that's interesting

Understandable. You can't go wrong with their first three albums anyway.

IrishNinja

sure, but that bit is making exactly the same critique many classic gafhoppers did on why Cole sucks as an MC: he literally can't get outside of his own boring head.

cite nas as inspiration without that project window vision brehs

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hip hop will never die yo, it's all about the rap
So Mayor Barry smoking crack, let's preach about that
The trash you talk won't matter, that old bogus chatter
The more that you condemn us, it only makes us phatter
When I talk, I know I'm talking for Hip Hoppers all around
You know you love the sound, we gets down

hIhPtiQ.gif

HiiiLife

sure, but that bit is making exactly the same critique many classic gafhoppers did on why Cole sucks as an MC: he literally can't get outside of his own boring head.

cite nas as inspiration without that project window vision brehs

Which one of yalls tumblr account is that.

Also.
true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom