• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, the worlds top ten most popular sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Least number of mental trauma, cheating, doping & other theatrics then yes it's the worst in that regards.
1. Several England cricket players linked with depression in the last couple of years
2. Match-fixing scandals every 2-3 years
3. Test wicket record is tainted
4. fair share of doping scandals ("my mom gave me a diet pill")
5. The only sport where verbal abusing opposing players is seen as a legitimate tactic
6. On-field death of a prominent player aged 24 in 2014

wachie

1. Several England cricket players linked with depression in the last couple of years
5. The only sport where verbal abusing opposing players is seen as a legitimate tactic
Now compare those to other major sports and you'll find it still to be shockingly low in comparison. Kinda why I brought them up.

Now compare those to other major sports and you'll find it still to be shockingly low in comparison. Kinda why I brought them up.

The pool of professional cricket players at the elite level is small.

Baseball has probably had more PED problems but none of the other shit applies to it. I've never heard a baseball player say to a hitter "get ready for a broken f*cking arm". There hasn't been documented match fixing in baseball since 1919. The last player to die during a MLB game was in 1920.

Meier

Cricket is probably at #4 or #5, certainly no higher than that.

#1 is soccer by an overwhelming margin
#2 is basketball

Everything else is so inconsequential as to be not worth considering.
Cricket is certainly #2 at worst if only because of India.

highrider

Banned
For me you can't beat an NBA experience courtside, watching heavy hitters battle. Anywhere in the first 5 to 10 rows of seats.

I actually work in a shop that retrofits George Muresan's g-wagons and he works for the Wizards front office. He gives us a few club seat tickets every year, I'm the only basketball guy at the shop. All you want to eat and drink, it's surreal compared to TV.

LionPride

Banned
For me you can't beat an NBA experience courtside, watching heavy hitters battle. Anywhere in the first 5 to 10 rows of seats.

I actually work in a shop that retrofits George Muresan's g-wagons and he works for the Wizards front office. He gives us a few club seat tickets every year, I'm the only basketball guy at the shop. All you want to eat and drink, it's surreal compared to TV.
I watched the Magic play the Grizzlies courtside, Vuc is a big man, Marc is fucking huge. It's so awesome seein players up close

Most watched? Like total viewership over an extended period? number of unique fans that watch? Or just largest viewership at any given time?

For largest viewership at a single given time probably

1. Soccer
2. Cricket
3. American Football or Racing

I'd imagine

FZZ

Banned
Cricket is more enjoyable than baseballs brehs

No way NFL is bigger than basketball worldwide lmao

gutshot

If you go by revenues from the top leagues, it is:

1. Football
2. American football
3. Baseball
4. Basketball
5. Ice Hockey

Cricket's top league is way down near the bottom of the list.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cricket is more enjoyable than baseballs brehs

No way NFL is bigger than basketball worldwide lmao

Cricket and baseball are both ludicrous, rely on long series, impenetrable rules, weird costumes, mixed levels of fatness and fitness and insist on having games downtown on work days. Both of them can eat a hot dog and crumpet respectively.

bomma_man

Cricket is probably at #4 or #5, certainly no higher than that.

#1 is soccer by an overwhelming margin
#2 is basketball

Everything else is so inconsequential as to be not worth considering.

There's like 1.5 billion people in the former British India dude.

highrider

Banned
I watched the Magic play the Grizzlies courtside, Vuc is a big man, Marc is fucking huge. It's so awesome seein players up close

For real. I'm a Wizards fan and I've seriously considered getting some package club deal. You can have a pretty great time even if your team is average, as long as the community is there locally.

Cricket is the worst. Makes baseball look thrilling.

Take that back. Not liking cricket is OK, but saying baseball is better?

Your mate Satansreverence might be right about you 343 lot after all.

You see people in the crowd reading a book and taking a nap. At least here in England anyway.

Further proof that cricket aficionados have impeccable taste. Reading and napping are some of life's greatest pleasures, just like cricket.

Some people are definitely under-estimating how huge Cricket is

tbf I think basketball is being underestimated by some people too.

JABEE

What even is this? That sounds like something out of Harry Potter.

Cormano

If you go by revenues from the top leagues, it is:

1. Football
2. American football
3. Baseball
4. Basketball
5. Ice Hockey

Cricket's top league is way down near the bottom of the list.

Then it would have to be:

1. Premier League
2. La Liga
3. Champions League

Football is so huge is not even funny, i dont see another sport taking that spot.

Stinkles

Take that back. Not liking cricket is OK, but saying baseball is better?

Your mate Satansreverence might be right about you 343 lot after all.

Further proof that cricket aficionados have impeccable taste. Reading and napping are some of life's greatest pleasures, just like cricket.

tbf I think basketball is being underestimated by some people too.

Obviously I am just poking fun at baseball and cricket - but real talk - both sports are absolutely impenetrable to the casual observer. I grew up in the UK (Ian Botham era) and cricket scoring is still utterly opaque to me. Baseball is convoluted. Both games would benefit from shorter games and series (purists absolutely revolt at this idea, obviously, but in Baseball, with declining audiences and interest, it's an inevitability).

My number one practical objection is the absolutely INSANE daytime schedules that Baseball games have. Middle of the day on a weekday? Rush hour on a weekday? Stadiums are bad enough as a tax on cities, but to wreck the traffic for a poorly attended game that barely affects the series outcome? It's horseshit.

Obviously I am just poking fun at baseball and cricket - but real talk - both sports are absolutely impenetrable to the casual observer. I grew up in the UK (Ian Botham era) and cricket scoring is still utterly opaque to me. Baseball is convoluted. Both games would benefit from shorter games and series (purists absolutely revolt at this idea, obviously, but in Baseball, with declining audiences and interest, it's an inevitability).

My number one practical objection is the absolutely INSANE daytime schedules that Baseball games have. Middle of the day on a weekday? Rush hour on a weekday? Stadiums are bad enough as a tax on cities, but to wreck the traffic for a poorly attended game that barely affects the series outcome? It's horseshit.

Is this true?

Philly40

Obviously I am just poking fun at baseball and cricket - but real talk - both sports are absolutely impenetrable to the casual observer. I grew up in the UK (Ian Botham era) and cricket scoring is still utterly opaque to me.

Cricket rules are opaque? Never!

Five penalty runs are awarded to the batting team (or to the batsman in some cases) if:

The ball strikes a fielder's helmet when it is on the field but not being worn.
A fielder willfully fields the ball other than with his person (for example, using a cap or other item of clothing).

theecakee

1. American Football
2. Basketball (specifically college but)

The rest I'm not a fan of.

Esports can be cool sometimes, but idk if it qualifies I won't be the judge for that.

Stinkles

Very complicated question to answer due to baseball's economics and demographics, but the short answer is no.

It's not complicated at all.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

mRgXtDm.jpg

haha, even these defenses admit it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/10/08/baseball-is-dying-dont-be-stupid/#3b9248da3076

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbs-tv-ratings-are-down-and-the-nfl-is-more-popular-so-what/

Dali

Ice hockey in the top 10. Yes, yes, yes.
I thought it was an actual list based on figures until I read the OP and realized it's just an IMO list. For a second there I was laughing my ass off baseball didn't make the top ten and was even beaten out by hockey and volley ball.

1. Football (soccer)
2. Cricket
3. Rugby
4. Basketball
5. Tennis
6. Hockey (ice)
7. Golf
8. Formula 1
9. Moto GP
10. Boxing

That's what I think it is by the amount of leagues, teams (or in this case individuals for relevant sports), and fan followings that exist, both domestically and internationally.

Basketball is definitely growing quite fast, in Europe it's becoming a lot more popular than it ever was, I definitely see Basketball becoming the top 3 sport in the world in the future, I don't see football ever losing it's #1 spot. Same is happening with basketball in East Asian countries. I think with a combination of it growing in Europe + East Asia it could overtake cricket in the future too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom