• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones: George R.R. Martin has a spin-off suggestion for HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Entertainment Weekly:

George R. R. Martin is open to a Game of Thrones spin-off.

“There is certainly no lack of material,” Martin told EW. “Every episode of The Naked City – one of the television shows I watched as a kid – ended with a voice-over: ‘There are eight million stories in the naked city. This has been one of them.’ There are eight million stories in Westeros as well … and even more in Essos and the lands beyond. A whole world full of stories, waiting to be told… if indeed HBO is interested.”

“The most natural follow-up would be an adaptation of my Dunk & Egg stories,” he notes.

The Dunk & Egg stories are a series of novellas set in the same world of A Song of Ice and Fire as Game of Thrones, except they place roughly 90 years earlier than the time of characters like Tyrion, Daenerys, and Arya. The stories follow a “hedge knight” (nomadic; doesn’t own land) Ser Duncan the Tall, who would later become a member of the Kingsguard, and his squire Egg, who later becomes King Aegon V Targaryen of Westeros. There are a trio of novellas in the series so far (collected in the anthology A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms), with many more planned.

“Each of the novellas could easily be done as a two-hour stand-alone movie for television; that would probably be the ideal way to do them, rather than as an ongoing weekly series,” Martin says. “The Hedge Knight& and its sequels are lighter [in tone] than A Song of Ice and Fire, more in the realm of action/adventure.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/18/game-thrones-george-rr-martin-spinoff

Toki767

I do wish they made a prequel or something if they're really running out of material but don't want to just take a break. Maybe up until the Mad King dies.

sangreal

Pretty sure he has been pushing this for awhile. He wanted HBO to take a break and run a spinoff or something so he could catch up

Flare

There's a lot of material they can work with. Dance of Dragons would be pretty cool. They could be miniseries.

Eh, my problem with a Robert's Rebellion series is that we already know who's safe and who dies during it. It wouldn't exactly have the same level of tension as the current show. It might be better as a movie.

Christ George; you don't get to say "there's no lack of material" when the show is going to beat the books to the end because you're not writing them fast enough.

I'm all for a spinoff, but please finish the main series first!

kswiston

Everything leading up to the Dance of the Dragons seems like it would make for a good spin-off series.

Martin covered the broad strokes of the story in the short stories appearing in the Dangerous Women and Rogues anthologies, as well as in parts of the World of Ice and Fire companion book, but show runners could fill in the details however they wish.

EDIT: Robert's Rebellion would be too Young Indiana Jones for my tastes.

Savitar

He's been saying this for a few seasons now since he realized they were going to catch up before the books could be done. He's wanted it to basically replace what's going on until they can follow up on the books.

They said no.

They're going to finish the show which he's probably annoyed by some. Likely why he will change things around a few years after.

mnannola

George: "There is tons of material! You know what, I can whip up a new short story real quick to give you guys some direction, let me just take a small break from this current book I am writing..."

The Entire World: "NOOOOO"

Pennywise

Dunk & Egg stories are great, would gladly take them.
Not really that many characters or at least recurring characters, and enough distance to the current situation.

NYR

HBO would be DUMB not to cash in and not have a Sean Bean-led show in 2018, espeically since the GoT cash cow is done next year.

Do it "Better Call Saul" style which gives you more backstory about Ned Stark and Jon Snow's mother and not reveal anything until the final season of GoT.

It's what the people want. People want to see the war between the Mad King and Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!

kswiston

HBO would be DUMB not to cash in and not have a Sean Bean-led show in 2018, espeically since the GoT cash cow is done next year.

Do it "Better Call Saul" style which gives you more backstory about Ned Stark and Jon Snow's mother and not reveal anything until the final season of GoT.

It's what the people want. People want to see the war between the Mad King and Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm!

Sean Bean will be around 60 years old when GOT wraps up. Even if you accept that the adults in the series were aged up 10 years from the books, they aren't going to cast Bean as the late 20s/early 30s Ned Stark during the time of the rebellion. The book version was like 17.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
At this point I'd rather they finish Game of Thrones and attempt to bring another epic series too life. There are tons of them out their ripe for live action adaptations. Something from Dan Simmons perhaps or maybe try their hand at the Witcher novels.

adj_noun

Dunc and Egg would be cool, but I really want Robert's Rebellion.

Or blow up the budget and do Aegon's Conquest. Field of fire, baby.

Ein Bear

If volume of material is the concern, they could make a reality TV show following George as he attempts to finish the books. It'd run for more seasons than the fucking news.

kswiston

At this point I'd rather they finish Game of Thrones and attempt to bring another epic series too life. There are tons of them out their ripe for live action adaptations. Something from Dan Simmons perhaps or maybe try their hand at the Witcher novels.

Didn't SyFy get their hands on the Hyperion Cantos?

Rymuth

The Dunk and Egg series are good (book 3 in particular) but I doubt a live-action version would appeal to the audience that made GoT such a cashcow. It's cast is very small..

If HBO wants to keep the money-train going, they should go with Robert's Rebellion.

MikeDown

Banned
just give us the damn book!!!!! GEORGE PLEASSSS!!!sdaf;ljas\; paskbh]ash dsa du-asaaahahhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

its going to be like half life 3 isn't it.......

ryseing

Valyria. Show how it all began.

Mistborn could do very well but doesn't have the sexual component that the networks seem to look for.

Nairume

Banned
Only issue with adapting Dunk & Egg would be the unfortunate comparisons to A Knight's Tale if they did the first story.

How about a 30 minute multiple-camera comedy show called The Hound's Chicken Shack?

2a0c68996ab3a9514d74d38cec4ce840-gif-of-the-day-the-hound-does-the-chicken-dance.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I would love to see more GoT after the main series is over, but they just can't focus on the big battles or stories of the past.

Part of what make people like GoT is in the uncertainty of what will happen next. "Will that character die?" "What will happen when he reach that fortress?".

Doing a prequel spinoff of the Mad King or Robert Rebellion would kill all tension or suspense because you already know who lives and who dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom