• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass is not profitable yet - Tom Warren

Papacheeks

Banned
I'd argue that Marvel movies are comparable to Call of Duty, Fifa and so on. You'll always have a handful of games (and movies) every year which have enough pull that they can sell well no matter what, so they don't need to be on a subscription service. Every other game (or movie) is fair game though.

Ironically, the last two Marvel movies didn't do that well at the box office. Could be covid related though.

Shang Chi has done amazing where are you getting? It never released in China but world wide is at 320m. Already made their money back on the movie, and will make more money once it comes to Digital release.

Shang Chi shit on black widow. Spiderman will be back to $300 domestic and will probably be in CHina to put it probably close to a billion. No way home will be the biggest movie of the year box office wise.

samoilaaa

Most of the community has shit tasties.
thats not for you to decide , or me or anyone else
for example there are so many games in 2020 that i likes more than the last of us , heres my top 10
1. Final fantasy 7 remake ( my goty )
2. Wasteland 3
3. Ori and the will of the wisp
4. Nioh 2
5. Demons Souls
6. Crusader kings 3
7. Ghost of tsushima
8. The last of us part 2
9. Yakuza like a dragon
10. cyberpunk 2077
So i have bad taste in gaming ? to some people yeah and some no , thats the thing when it come to taste , we can only say it sucks compared to ours but u cant say they have had taste in general

Thirty7ven

Banned
For every person who didn't like TLOU 2, 10x more people loved it. Forget the "Media Outlets" awards (that's from editors and critics). It won the highest number of Readers' choice awards.

Those awards come from fan votes -- by gamers like you and me who go on these websites and vote for their favorite games. TLOU won 108 such awards, while the next best was Ghost of Tsushima with only 11 awards.

You tryna apply logic here, but you're dealing with self absorbed, narcissistic people. They actually believe that if they hate something, then it means the world hates it too. Some people are insane.

Literally gotta be insane to try and convince anyone that TLOU2 wasn't a huge hit with critics and fans alike. An insane baby.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For every person who didn't like TLOU 2, 10x more people loved it. Forget the "Media Outlets" awards (that's from editors and critics). It won the highest number of Readers' choice awards.

Those awards come from fan votes -- by gamers like you and me who go on these websites and vote for their favorite games. TLOU won 108 such awards, while the next best was Ghost of Tsushima with only 11 awards.

xX4qPR2.jpg
There has never been a bigger gap between journalists liking something and the audience liking something. Journalists like things based on how many woke points it gets. Sorry to say, but it's true. TLOU2 definitely had its fair share of fans. As someone who despises wokeness, there were some things storywise that TLOU2 did that I respected in terms of what they were trying to do. Making you play as a character the game forces you to hate was a gutsy move. It didn't land with me the way it intended and the game, in the end, made me hate everyone.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
*considering there's a Pandemic.

In real terms it's ranked sub 20 in Marvel movie takings currently.

How well have other movies done this year? I meant in terms of being in a pandemic where theres still uncertainty in theaters. 320m Is fantastic for a September movie. You cant rate it to other marvel films because of pandemic and because of not releasing in CHina. All other marvel films got a china release. This did not on top of some countries still having lockdowns and not all theaters are open let alone doing full capacity. Still a lot of restrictions going on. FOr it to make 320M in a pandemic with restrictions without china is no easy feat.

Kokoloko85

So…… Gamepass = The gaming apocalypse?

right-dr-evil.gif

My dude, you are being the Karen of video games right now. None of that is going to happen. Just relax and enjoy some games.

And even if your right (you’re not), then might as well enjoy It while it lasts, no? Because it’s obviously not going to stop, so ride this bitch into the ground with the rest of us and just enjoy yourself.

Lol it doesnt bother me.
Im just telling you how it might turn out if it doesnt make money in the long run but MS keeps buying and paying for studios through gamepass, which guess what, its not making much atm.
Dont know how that makes anyone a Karen hahaha.

Anyway: Regardless it might fail for other reasons and not Phychonauts 2 sales.

Enjoy it, its not for me but its a great service they are doing and putting in alot of money into it. They are betting on it working

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There has never been a bigger gap between journalists liking something and the audience liking something. Journalists like things based on how many woke points it gets. Sorry to say, but it's true. TLOU2 definitely had its fair share of fans. As someone who despises wokeness, there were some things storywise that TLOU2 did that I respected in terms of what they were trying to do. Making you play as a character the game forces you to hate was a gutsy move. It didn't land with me the way it intended and the game, in the end, made me hate everyone.
That's fair enough. Not everyone will like every game.

But the point still stands that while a small group of people didn't like TLOU 2, the overwhelming majority did. And it reflects in the critical and commercial success of the game.

Kokoloko85

don't worry i understand your worry but trust me if Sony did survived at PS3 loss era....everyone in the gaming industry is safe

Yeah ms will be fine its just the studios and IP’s that have been and will get brought by MS will be decided by what they deem successful and worthwhile

Mr.ODST

Oh god this is probably the best troll I've seen

Yeah ms will be fine its just the studios and IP’s that have been and will get brought by MS will be decided by what they deem successful and worthwhile

Every company is like this, where are the great IPs from Sony and Nintendo that they haven't used in ages? cant just shit on MS just for that

Last edited:

Neofire

in fact they did survived ...losing 10 billions not doing a dime for all the PS3 gen.
all this being an extremely poorer company than ms. So let's relax for Ms everything will be fine))
I wouldn't say Sony was an "extremely poor company" lol let's not go that far but indeed MS has a much larger market cap yes. The main thing to Microsoft's advantage is that they have a Monopoly in the PC and Sony has none. The money they generate from the Windows platform is insurmountable to the likes of gamepass overhead. You are correct they will be okay, unfortunately (because I can't stand subscriptions lol)

ReBurn

Gold Member

Every company is like this, where are the great IPs from Sony and Nintendo that they haven't used in ages? cant just shit on MS just for that
Take everything with a grain of salt.

DrAspirino

Banned
And when we have the next video game crash,we'll know who to blame.
Who?

Because I, for one, care about MY money, not the money Microsoft or some other publisher or gaming company has.

I mean... what is wrong with you, people? Defending big corporations and defending ripping you off? Are you f*cking kidding me?

Or are those companies the ones that pay your bills and put food on YOUR table?

I mean... unless you're an investor in those multinational companies (and yes, I mean Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Activision, EA, etc), you have absolutely nothing to gain from those companies making profit.

Just relax and enjoy cheap games for as long as you can. We're on a golden age right now. =D

nush

How well have other movies done this year? I meant in terms of being in a pandemic where theres still uncertainty in theaters. 320m Is fantastic for a September movie. You cant rate it to other marvel films because of pandemic and because of not releasing in CHina. All other marvel films got a china release. This did not on top of some countries still having lockdowns and not all theaters are open let alone doing full capacity. Still a lot of restrictions going on. FOr it to make 320M in a pandemic with restrictions without china is no easy feat.

Man, you should have just cut and pasted the reasons instead of typing them out.

Chang Shi - the movie where Marvel stans jumped the stanning shark. China typically only adds 15% to the box office.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You do know that the games are still available to buy? Also not every game hits game pass day one and they are getting more money once the sales have died down
Gamepass owner dont buy games, and they wait for games to be release on gamepass.

"Is this game available on gamepass"

"when will this game available on gamepass?"

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yeah I totally get that. Happens with all studios etc
But Sony and Nintendo havent bought publishers with IP’s they didnt really create, or nowhere as near as the amount of IP’s MS got with Zenimax.
Till this point, MS, Playstation and Nintendo normally create IP’s, not buy them. The exception being something like Sunset overdrive that came with Insomniac.

Obvioulsy companies like MS, Google, Tencent and Amazon are going to be buying more IP’s that are well known and thats what I mean.

It could also go the other way around and MS funds so many great games we wouldn’t have got because there pockets are way deeper than the previous publishers and studios etc

Interfectum

Who?

Because I, for one, care about MY money, not the money Microsoft or some other publisher or gaming company has.

I mean... what is wrong with you, people? Defending big corporations and defending ripping you off? Are you f*cking kidding me?

Or are those companies the ones that pay your bills and put food on YOUR table?

I mean... unless you're an investor in those multinational companies (and yes, I mean Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Activision, EA, etc), you have absolutely nothing to gain from those companies making profit.

Just relax and enjoy cheap games for as long as you can. We're on a golden age right now. =D
Since this is a gaming discussion forum it's perfectly acceptable to wonder if giving $100 million games away on a sub service does major long term damage to both consumer expectations and how games are designed.

I'm sure people like you sounded like this in the beginning of the mobile gaming era. "Why pay for a game, just get free games, I care about my bank account!" The race to the bottom is real and damaging to any hobby you even somewhat care about.

I'd much rather pay for my entertainment, even a lot if I have to, to ensure I get more of what I like. And this is coming from a Series X owner that uses GP. I think it's neat getting $60-70 games for free but we all know how this is going to turn out and it's worth discussing.

Last edited:

Rubik8

Of course it isn't profitable yet. This is like how Epic is overspending for free games just to get more EGS accounts opened. What this probably means though is that Game Pass is currently at its greatest value right now and that once MS gets a grip on the market both gamers and developers will feel the squeeze as they move towards a profit based model. Increased monthly charges for Regular and Ultimate and probably locking a lot more features behind Ultimate is what gamers should expect.
And I would add to that, users shouldn’t expect the big titles to stay on GP indefinitely. The first party games will be GP day-one, but I would expect aggressive time limits on those to coerce users to buy.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Its not like every game comes to game pass. I use gamepass to play games I would never of bought and try them. Dirt 5 being one, I wouldn’t buy it but played it on gamepass and had fun. They got more money out of me than they ever would by me playing it on gamepass

Banjo64

cumsessed
just because a game is GOTY doesnt make it the best game of the year for everyone and innovative , for example alot of people didnt like the last of us part 2 and sekiro , GOTY 2020 and 2019 , goty means nothing to the gaming community
just curious what made the last of us part 2 so innovative compared to the first one ?
I don’t think that guy knows what innovation means. GOTY =/= innovation. I’d love to know how GoW 2018, Spider-Man, Horizon, Uncharted 4 or TLoU 2 are innovative.

Papacheeks

Banned
Man, you should have just cut and pasted the reasons instead of typing them out.

Chang Shi - the movie where Marvel stans jumped the stanning shark. China typically only adds 15% to the box office.

Untrue. Go look at Fast and Furious. China is huge.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Gamepass owner dont buy games, and they wait for games to be release on gamepass.

"Is this game available on gamepass"

"when will this game available on gamepass?"
As a Gamepass owner I still buy games that are coming to Gamepass that I know I will play a lot.

I have Forza Horizon 5 prem edition coming as I want ALL the cars plus I want to give good devs money from my pocket to show my love

MonarchJT

Banned
I wouldn't say Sony was an "extremely poor company" lol let's not go that far but indeed MS has a much larger market cap yes. The main thing to Microsoft's advantage is that they have a Monopoly in the PC and Sony has none. The money they generate from the Windows platform is insurmountable to the likes of gamepass overhead. You are correct they will be okay, unfortunately (because I can't stand subscriptions lol)
oh sorry maybe I misspelled .... Sony extremely poor comparing it to ms income / capital. Sony is far from being poor hahaha

phil_t98

#SonyToo
As a Gamepass owner I still buy games that are coming to Gamepass that I know I will play a lot.

I have Forza Horizon 5 prem edition coming as I want ALL the cars plus I want to give good devs money from my pocket to show my love

Second that I will buy the same edition of FH5 to get all content

Kerotan

I'm not surprised in the slightest it's not profitable. There's a reason Sony don't go all in on this model. If they did they'd already have double the subs of Gamepass but would make way less money then their current model which is also healthier for the future of AAA gaming.

MonarchJT

Banned
Are you living under a rock? Sony constantly sweeps GOTY awards for a reason. No need to make a list.
Unfortunately this industry and especially the media of this industry make money based on the fanbase ... for example a Spanish website that talks about PlayStation videogames will have the chance to survive one that talks about Xbox seen the marketshare will have many difficulties. So it is understandable and clear how in the end everyone is oriented to please the larger user base. The Game awards were created by a industry journalist (Geoff K.) who everyone know he prefers Sony to all the others and if this were not enough, the way in which the games are selected and voted in the end (10% by users) will always reward the most big user base (PlayStation in this case). Taking GOTY as an example to prove something is silly and misleading for this reason. Let's accept them for what they are ..... A nice event for the world of video games but never a real prize a some milestone.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm not surprised in the slightest it's not profitable. There's a reason Sony don't go all in on this model. If they did they'd already have double the subs of Gamepass but would make way less money then their current model which is also healthier for the future of AAA gaming.
kwnVkn4.jpg

Sony have no multiplayer games and no live service games, but you think they’d have 50-60m subscribers right now when the wait between their single player exclusives is over 8 months (Ratchet in June to Horizon in February 2022)?

Papacheeks

Banned
kwnVkn4.jpg

Sony have no multiplayer games and no live service games, but you think they’d have 50-60m subscribers right now when the wait between their single player exclusives is over 8 months (Ratchet in June to Horizon in February 2022)?

Mlb the show, GT7 are live service games.

Dabaus

Banned
Spend at least 10 billion dollars on acquisitions up to this point
Bleed money on new hardware, probably taking big loss on series S
Software sales collapse world wide
Gamepass loses money, havent updated investors on gamepass numbers in almost a year.
Be netflix of gaming, Netflix has billions in debt despite TV shows being alot cheaper than game development
Rumored to spend another 10s of billions on acquisitions
Being outsold in every single major market including the US
???
Profit

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
MLB the show is on Game Pass and GT 7 isn’t even out for another 9 months minimum? And you think that’s enough online games to warrant 60m subs?

Sony doesn't base their output off of Subscription engagement. The games make people want to sign up for ps+. Getting deals like Fall out guys which blew up because it was free on PS+ brought shit tons of traction to psn/PS+. Thats what sony looks for.

Also all those subscribers are not getting for the most part discounted subscriptions.

yazenov

Unfortunately this industry and especially the media of this industry make money based on the fanbase ... for example a Spanish website that talks about PlayStation videogames will have the chance to survive one that talks about Xbox seen the marketshare will have many difficulties. So it is understandable and clear how in the end everyone is oriented to please the larger user base. The Game awards were created by a industry journalist (Geoff K.) who everyone know he prefers Sony to all the others and if this were not enough, the way in which the games are selected and voted in the end (10% by users) will always reward the most big user base (PlayStation in this case). Taking GOTY as an example to prove something is silly and misleading for this reason. Let's accept them for what they are ..... A nice event for the world of video games but never a real prize a some milestone.

But as mentioned by another poster, we also have the people's choice awards. Regardless of taste, nobody can deny the quality of Sony's software output these past and current generation. They are best in class.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
This paints a clear picture and a game streaming service won't even reach 165 million subscribers any time soon, if ever
Agree it obviously won't hit 165m.

Zhuge estimates they need over 50m, and despite people predicting that they're at over 30m already, Microsoft is remaining tight-lipped since hitting 18m.

They haven't been helped by the Series S not being as successful as they had hoped, and being way less in demand than the Series X. I would imagine casuals will take a lot of convincing to join so they can game on their phone/tablet too - who wants to AAA game on a tiny ass screen with puny speakers?

No, it's even worse for gaming services

Way less subscribers and gaming being way more expensive = Even harder to turn a profit.

Thats speculation...spotify doesn't own any of the content it produces outside of podcast while Xbox does. It maybe easier to reach profitability when their own content starts to become a larger portion of the games on there. But I'm sure its still some time before it is profitable. But that doesnt change the fact that services are still far more profitable in the long run...all of the trillion dollar companies basically got there with massive services they offer not sales of hardware.

Interfectum

Agree it obviously won't hit 165m.

Zhuge estimates they need over 50m, and despite people predicting that they're at over 30m already, Microsoft is remaining tight-lipped since hitting 18m.

They haven't been helped by the Series S not being as successful as they had hoped, and being way less in demand than the Series X. I would imagine casuals will take a lot of convincing to join so they can game on their phone/tablet too - who wants to AAA game on a tiny ass screen with puny speakers?
I think MS will remain tight-lipped until they see what Forza and Halo bring. If both of those are well received I bet we hear about a subscriber bump soon after Halo launch.

Allandor

Lol it doesnt bother me.
Im just telling you how it might turn out if it doesnt make money in the long run but MS keeps buying and paying for studios through gamepass, which guess what, its not making much atm.
Dont know how that makes anyone a Karen hahaha.

Anyway: Regardless it might fail for other reasons and not Phychonauts 2 sales.

Enjoy it, its not for me but its a great service they are doing and putting in alot of money into it. They are betting on it working

Well, I want it to be successful, but Psychonauts was never big. It does just not have a big audience that is buying the game. Psychonauts 1 was also great I loved it back then (and I still get motion sickness from it ^^) but it didn't sell well. Crazy games like these do almost never get as much attention as fans of the those games would hope for. It is just to crazy for many people.

Also what people do forget about subscription services, those give you a permanent cashflow and not just one month of fame.

Hezekiah

Banned
I think MS will remain tight-lipped until they see what Forza and Halo bring. If both of those are well received I bet we hear about a subscriber bump soon after Halo launch.
I might subscribe for one month for Wasteland and Psychonauts. And I may do a second month for Halo campaign and Forza. But after that I'll probably drop it. The next game that interests me is Starfield but that's 15 months away. I wonder how many people are like that and will dip in, then quickly dip out again. Like I wonder if it's a linear increase they are seeing.

zaanan

Banned
Till this point, MS, Playstation and Nintendo normally create IP’s, not buy them. The exception being something like Sunset Overdrive
Are you fucking serious? Of the three, it is mostly Microsoft’s MO to buy IP’s, not create them. Here is a small selection pre-Zenimax to jog your memory:

Halo
Age of Empires
Battletoads
Killer Instinct
Banjo
Perfect Dark
Fable
Minecraft
Hellblade
State of Decay
Forza
Gears of War