• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

Patrick S.

Banned
Also, DAMN! That PS4 Pro I just sold for €250? They are going for up to €300 or more used now, and Lidl has them new for €430. What a mess, man. Well, I got lucky and snagged that Pro used early last year for €200 with a limited edition controller that I kept, so I had the console for a year and still made a bit of profit on it :p

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
A GTX 1080 will out perform ps5 at both those games at its approximate 120fps settings.
And you don't see something of wrong in such narrative? He takes 4 games BC and 1 native ps5 to show they run worse in such pc at 120 FPS; is it supposed to mean that pc outperform or be equal to the ps5? Again what kind of data want to provide such videos? Because he didn't say "bizzarre cases where ps5 is outperformed by a weaker hardware". I really don't get it why cares to give such analysis because doesn't provides useful information but just vague and pretestuos conclusions.

Last edited:
Okkkkkk, and a ps5 is stronger at every resolution that's not 1080p. The point was he compared it to a 1060, not even a 1070. What a fucking joke.
New cod is not BC and runs around 1440p on 120 fps mode, gtx 1080 performs better at 1440p
And you don't see something of wrong in such narrative? He takes 4 games BC and 1 native ps5 to show they run worse in such pc at 120 FPS; is it supposed to mean that pc outperform or be equal to the ps5? Again what kind of data want to provide such videos? Because he didn't say "bizzarre cases where ps5 is outperformed by a weaker hardware". I really don't get it why cares to give such analysis because doesn't provides useful information but just vague and pretestuos conclusions.
Same for you as above cause I'm not sure what you are saying...I am a little high though.

assurdum

Banned
New cod is not BC and runs around 1440p on 120 fps mode, gtx 1080 performs better at 1440p

Same for you as above cause I'm not sure what you are saying...I am a little high though.
Are you trying to argue a 1080 gtx can catch ps5 in performance or what? Because let's say I find 5 games which runs better in a weaker rig than a more powerful one and I make a video named "500$ pc vs 800$". Not necessarily such analysis would provide a valid conclusion.

Last edited:
Having a 1080 Ti PC and a PS5 that I've played Cold War on, the PS5 seems to run it significantly better at 120hz. Game looks fantastic and overall feels better compared to when I was running it on my PC.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I'm really not sure what you are saying, but I didn't want you to feel ignored.
Me too. I'm genuinely asking what are you trying to argue the whole time because you continue to repeat as a parrot ps5 runs worse but so...? The ps5 is far more powerful of such pc, what changes. That's curious, sure, but it ends here

Last edited:
Me too. I'm genuinely asking what are you trying to argue the whole time because you continue to repeat as a parrot ps5 runs worse and...? The ps5 is far more powerful of such pc what change. That's curious, sure, but it ends here
It's like 7 or 8 and it's 100% of them.

My argument is very simple. Such video doesn't provide any kind of useful data. It's clear ps5 can outpace such hardware but it's not coded as a pc and obviously launch titles underperform for obvious reasons.
It's very useful if you want to play 120 fps games and have a 5 year old mid to high end PC available.

RedVIper

Banned
I'm in Canada, the cheapest 1070 on ebay will cost me only 50$ less than a full PS5 Digital edition.... I'm not about to find the rest of the machine for 50$ (like $30USD). Local Facebook marketplace etc. are as bad, if not worse.

That potato masher discussion is absurd at the moment, if you get a PC it's because you want to game on PC (KB + mouse, RTS, possibility to configure games and mods).

Sometimes they are still about the same price in eBay, on completed auctions, add shipping and this is embarrassing, especially compared to a PS5 digital edition--which is 400$... find that CPU/RAM/PSU/case/RAM/storage for 20$ all included and come back to me, I'll built the machine myself just for kicks.

Honestly this seems like an you issue (Or maybe canada issue idk), a 1070 costs me 2/5 of a ps5.

I still agree that consoles beat out pcs on the performance/$ ratio, at least for now, but it's not as wide as you're making it out to be.

Last edited:
I knew consoles were trash but this is embarrassing.
Lol this reminded me of you

0DZU8jf.jpg

i understand if he want to compare with ps4 pro or xbox one x with gtx1060 since basically those are comparable specs. even those console has rx 470/480/570/580 inside

but a 1060 compared to ps5? LMAO

he try too hard and rushing too much for his agenda.
The comparison is literally showing how a cheap PC cpu is allowing 120fps at a much more consistent manner, paired with a really low end gpu, to show a bottleneck in the ps5.

I just checked and... No?
Unless I am missing something.
Can you provide video proof of this because that's not what I've seen.

Ps5 isn't ultra high settings though, which is what your linked videos are showing. Ps5 doesn't use the highest or even many of the high or even medium settings that PC utilizes.

Md Ray

At the same ps5 120 fps settings
Yes
For every single current ps5 120fps game
For every single game? Not true. PS5 outperformed GTX 1080 in the benchmark involving GTX 1080. Only 2 of the data is valid out of the 3 games tested there. BL3 and Dirt 5.

PS5 loses to 1070 Ti in BL3 and wins in Dirt 5 against 1080. So it depends on the game. PS5 can be faster than a 1080.

Last edited:
I see he has a recent video telling his dumbass audience who cant think for themselves that gaming chairs are ugly, ergonomically bad, overpriced trash. No shit. People been suckered into buying a chair version of race car beds for how long now?

Md Ray

The comparison is literally showing how a cheap PC cpu is allowing 120fps at a much more consistent manner, paired with a really low end gpu, to show a bottleneck in the ps5.
Not this shit again. GN made an error in DMC 5.

PS5 is pushing a lot more pixels in that game than GTX 1060. It was native 1080p on 1060 vs RC 2160p on PS5.

The rendering load is much higher on PS5, therefore lower fps. That is not even close to being 1:1 comparison.

At least the other two benchmarks were.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Ps5 isn't ultra high settings though, which is what your linked videos are showing. Ps5 doesn't use the highest or even many of the high or even medium settings that PC utilizes.
There's are low and medium in the videos. And PS5 is using RT shadows.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War l GTX 1080 i7 9700K l Medium High Ultra Settings l 1080p 1440p l

1440p Low, Zombies Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War Ryzen 9 3900x GTX 1080 How to turn on power​

Last edited:

Kumomeme

really? as i understand the comparison is about 500$ pc compete with 500$ console despite ps5 not really a 500$.400$ without disc drive

i doubt the video comparison is about 'cheap pc part' vs console. his reasoning not go with 1070 baffled me.

maybe i misunderstood things here.

Last edited:
I just checked and... No?
Unless I am missing something.
Can you provide video proof of this because that's not what I've seen.

Sorry I miss remembered earlier, destiny 2 was 1440p. New cod is between 1080p and 1200p
For every single game? Not true. PS5 outperformed GTX 1080 in the benchmark involving GTX 1080. Only 2 of the data is valid out of the 3 games tested there. BL3 and Dirt 5.

PS5 loses to 1070 Ti in BL3 and wins in Dirt 5 against 1080. So it depends on the game. PS5 can be faster than a 1080.
1080 had a slightly lower average in dirt 5 but had better lows. Call that a draw.
There's are low and medium in the videos. And PS5 is using RT shadows.
Not for 120 fps mode.
Both PS5/XSX target native 2160p in RT mode, and achieve a very consistent 60fps. Let's see a GTX 1080 do that.
Again this is about 120 fps not 60.

scydrex

Sorry I miss remembered earlier, destiny 2 was 1440p. New cod is between 1080p and 1200p

1080 had a slightly lower average in dirt 5 but had better lows. Call that a draw.

Not for 120 fps mode.

Again this is about 120 fps not 60.
Yeah but what do you think will happen if the Ps5 version run at 1080p fixed too?

alienator

love these benchmarks, its all tech and stuff and pc, until u ask can your 4y old pc run demon's souls? or god of war? and while the technical answer is yes, reality is no :) Im glad i have given up on who has the biggest hardware dick in gamer land and just concentrate on the games. whenever i get my ps5 in 2024 that is.

Can you share that info?
According to a new tech analysis by VGTech, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is running at a dynamic 4k resolution at 120fps on PlayStation 5 when using the 120fps mode. This resolution was found to reach a maximum of 2560×1440 and a minimum of 1280×1200, scaling up to as high as it can.

Unless I'm reading that incorrectly, but I don't think I am.

According to a new tech analysis by VGTech, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is running at a dynamic 4k resolution at 120fps on PlayStation 5 when using the 120fps mode. This resolution was found to reach a maximum of 2560×1440 and a minimum of 1280×1200, scaling up to as high as it can.

Those figures also include the Series S fyi so I very much doubt it's the PS5 or XSX that's going below 1080p

geordiemp

It looks sharper yes but not better. The shimmer is crazy sometimes

I could of misread but I thought he said what it's reconstructed to since it's dynamic 4k and not a constant 4k.

You listed several games that would be better to test and stated they were all 120 fps when 3 of the 4 you said do not have 120 fps mode on ps5 and the one that does (cod) is around 1080p and a GTX 1070 runs it approximately the same. I even quoted you on 2 seperate occasions.

Wat ?

I said COD and Dirt 5 are 120 FPS, what are going on about ? Below is ps5 at 120 FPS, I dont know what 1070 runs at but it is not better,.

PS5 at 120fpsuse a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x1200. PS5 at 120fps, use a form of temporal reconstruction to reconstruct the horizontal resolution up to 2560 when the horizontal resolution is below this figure.

scydrex

Good to know. I think this gen will get better hopefully.

Wat ?

I said COD and Dirt 5 are 120 FPS, what are going on about ? Below is ps5 at 120 FPS, I dont know what 1070 runs at but it is not better,.
Pick any ps5 game, does not have to be dirtt 5 or Valhalla, what about Fenyx rising, Watch dogs, Call of duty, take your pick, I dont care.

*After this was edited in after I quoted you and after you responded the next quote*

There are only 2 games made for ps5 and game released after ps5 was, with 120 FPS, Dirt 5 and call of duty. That is it.
I asked you "all those games have 120 fps mode and this was your response.
Yes and released after ps5 came out and not a back compat port.

However, the ps5 performance is better than the PC parts he chose, so that does not fit his troll video so whatever
You editing your posts later doesn't erase the fact you said it and shouldn't confuse you now
Image is your original post that again was not edited until after you responded to me.

geordiemp

I asked you "all those games have 120 fps mode and this was your response.

You editing your posts later doesn't erase the fact you said it and shouldn't confuse you now
Image is your original post that again was not edited until after you responded to me.

Where did I differentiate between 120 and 60 FPS games, I listed the 120 FPS ones specfically, 2 of them, not 3 or 4,

If the video wanted to compare performance, they can use lots of ps5 games does not have to be 120 FPS was ALSO one point.

Your mixing up 2 different points, what I said was correct.

If you cannot read what I typed and want to introduce things I did not say, learn to read.

Where did I differentiate between 120 and 60 FPS games, I listed the 120 FPS ones specfically, 2 of them, not 3 or 4,

If the video wanted to compare performance, they can use lots of ps5 games does not have to be 120 FPS was ALSO one point.

Your mixing up 2 different points, what I said was correct.

If you cannot read what I typed and want to introduce things I did not say, learn to read.
Hahaha Geordie you shouldn't shit talk when you are so so very wrong.
You said exactly
"Fenix rising, watch dogs, call of duty. Take your pick, I don't care"
My response
"Do all those games offer 120 fps modes
Your response
"Yes and released after ps5 came out. Not back compat."
Later after this exchange you edited your original post to state what ones are 120 fps and what ones were not.
You then replied to me like you had no idea what I was talking about and that my reading comprehension is lacking when you edited your post to make it seem like that
Pretty low. Maybe you should worry less about cussing and more about being a decent person, fessing up to your mistakes which was minor and not an issue until you edited your post to make it seem like you were right all along and played dumb about it.

Top Bottom