• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

LordOfChaos

Interesting. I'd be interested in seeing him follow up at least once a year during this console generation, as typically even "matched" PC hardware will start to fall by the wayside while developers will just do the tuning and cuts to make things work on a fixed spec console. Some of the late 7th gen games would be unthinkable to run on equivalent PC hardware which had long since fallen off the tuning radar, I'm curious if this is still the case or things like low level APIs have blunted this somewhat.

Last edited:

Loope

Interesting. I'd be interested in seeing him follow up at least once a year during this console generation, as typically even "matched" PC hardware will start to fall by the wayside while developers will just do the tuning and cuts to make things work on a fixed spec console.

But the most powerful parts also get cheaper as the years go by, so you can match your pc to the console throughout the years. Assuming he does a build every year for 500$, although i think it's an exercice of futility, PC gaming is more about freedom to choose what you want than anything else.

LordOfChaos

But the most powerful parts also get cheaper as the years go by, so you can match your pc to the console throughout the years. Assuming he does a build every year for 500$, although i think it's an exercice of futility, PC gaming is more about freedom to choose what you want than anything else.

I understand the plethora of arguments either way, and I grew up on the PC side, but I'm just curious if the tuning angle has changed due to lower overhead APIs or anything.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am watching the video and don't understand what he is doing... ryzen 3300x is not 4 years old cpu ? 1070 was 500usd 4 years ago... what's the point... and that pc is not 500usd even now. Not even if You summarize bare used pc parts and You still need to add peripherals (since console includes controller and is a full package aside from TV). And he is not doing exact same settings comparison...
Recently I am starting to dislike his condescending and smug way of talking and looking down upon everything and everyone.
He is one of those who criticize everything and jumps on hate bandwagons first (or creates it).
3080? "oh nvidia bad corporation asshole out to get ya!" "Not impressed with gpu thermals!"
Ps5? "That hot ram, console is garbage" "It's barely as fast as 1060"

You just can't make this guy happy. I am a pc gamer with 3080 but I am just as much a console gamer (ps5 yet to get here)... and yet he is sometimes the worst of pcmasterrace.
He really does everything to shove it down console users throat that 500usd ps5 is in fact "SHIT" and worse than 500usd 4yo pc? And that ps5 memory gets hot even though it's fake controversy since it does not matter...

edit: He is very knowledgeable but I don't give a shit about some component getting hot unless it is a problem. I don't care about flatness map of a gpu die chip...
Some of his MSI bashing and "fuck You" to corporations is great and very justifiable but after watching him for so long, You will notice that this is just what he does.

Last edited:

Rikkori

"We eventually settled on a GTX 1060 6 GB, a card that at this point is more than 4 years old. We found the GTX 1070 performed a little too well to match the Playstation 5 and was overdoing the performance."

netflix antonio GIF

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I am watching the video and don't understand what he is doing... ryzen 3300x is not 4 years old cpu ? 1070 was 500usd 4 years ago... what's the point... and that pc is not 500usd even now. Not even if You summarize bare used pc parts and You still need to add peripherals (since console includes controller and is a full package aside from TV). And he is not doing exact same settings comparison...
Recently I am starting to dislike his condescending and smug way of talking and looking down upon everything and everyone.
He is one of those who criticize everything and jumps on hate bandwagons first (or creates it).
3080? "oh nvidia bad corporation asshole out to get ya!" "Not impressed with gpu thermals!"

You just can't make this guy happy. I am a pc gamer with 3080 but I am just as much a console gamer (ps5 yet to get here)... and yet he is sometimes the worst of pcmasterrace
He really does Everything to show it down console users throat that 500usd ps5 is in fact "SHIT" and worse than 500usd 4yo pc ? And that ps5 memory gets hot even though it's fake controversy since it does not matter...

edit: He is very knowledgeable but I don't give a shit about some component getting hot unless it is a problem. I don't care about flatness map of a gpu die chip...
Some of his MSI bashing and "fuck You" to corporations is great and very justifiable but after watching him for so long, You will notice that this is just what he does.
Yep this guy and his vid is a farce!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Mobile Zen2 in ps5 has no chances with 3300x in single core performance

3300X has higher clocks and full 1x16MB l3 cache, ps5 has 2x4MB same as Xbox SX

7e9017448ba11a8ce8c1a113d5f13463841e57b7f3008506947dda3265074148.jpg

398e7ed1c6197a22d67e69d040980379c0c42e2c9b5f506c5f35e5ebd0773b62.jpg

b30d91fe690512af2ef5ae34e8520fcd61d1327bf929de2a61f2239887833d80.jpg
gtx1080 msrp was 600usd and it's just a GPU alone. Need to add mouse, keyboard, nvme drive, psu, motherboard, ram, case, cooling... right.... So that pc is more than 500usd and not as quiet... That all adds up.
So ps5 is as fast as 4yo high end gpu and 2020 ryzen ? And on some shady settings since he don't know what settings those ps5 games are using.
And the asshole spends 5 minutes explaining screen tearing ?! wtf. I am not a console fanboy but he is just crazy.
His channel is lately a wet dream for pcmr console haters who just don't have a console so they can fuel their ego

Nezzeroth

Ryzen 3 3300X came out 4 years ago now?

The comparison is dumb as fuck anyway. Almost no game is properly using the new consoles other than Demon's Souls. Basing the PS5's capabilities on random PS4 ports is stupid and shows he only wants to shit on the new consoles.

Last edited:

squarealex

Well, sound like the same shit about PS4 and the famous "i3 gen3/4 + 750ti", today this shitty config will run nothing, not Horizon, no Detroit, not Death Stranding and RDR2 run like shit and not even on 1080p. Can we talk to DooM or DooM Eternal and the 30fps i3 Walmart edition ?

Last edited:
Better than the texture quality on the PS5! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Zx8ZpoE.jpg
Borderlands 3 is a PS4 game being run in BC mode.

This entire thing seems to be very contrived bollocks to try an argue and apple is better than an orange.

If he wants to go and buy a pre made, off the shelf PC, with a Dualsense equivelant quality controller, full OS, 4K Blu Ray reader and that's the same size as the PS5, all for $500, then he would have a point.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don't rage guys, 3300X wins in minimum fps because it has faster single core performance. We didn't get proper next gen games for ps5 and Xbox SX, both have 2 times more cores than 3300x, developers need to use them.

Borderlands 3 though was coded for not just shitty Jaguar but modern multicore CPUs.
Borderlands 3 is a PS4 game being run in BC mode.

This entire thing seems to be very contrived bollocks to try an argue and apple is better than an orange.

If he wants to go and buy a pre made, off the shelf PC, with a Dualsense equivelant quality control, full OS, 4K Blu Ray reader and that's the same size as the PS4, all for $500, then he would have a point.
I didn’t realize the PS4 version of BL3 had a 120fps mode, pretty cool.

PCMR coping never fails to crack me up!
pepe.jpg

"This x year old video card is stronger than x console"
And yet you buy new cards and wait to play ports of these weaker machines and screech when you don't get one.

N-no you.
That Cyberpunk console port to PC runs and looks amazing though! Especially with raytracing. Copious amounts of copium can't change that or any other comparison.

You just can't make this guy happy. I am a pc gamer with 3080 but I am just as much a console gamer (ps5 yet to get here)... and yet he is sometimes the worst of pcmasterrace.
He really does everything to shove it down console users throat that 500usd ps5 is in fact "SHIT" and worse than 500usd 4yo pc? And that ps5 memory gets hot even though it's fake controversy since it does not matter...

He's insufferable isn't he.

I came across his channel recently as I'm looking to build a PC and my fuck he is wbining about shit all the time.
He had a go at Thermaltake saying how he sent them emails to improve their case designs and how they never listen to improve their cases.
I was like, the fuck are you trying to do mate. Thermaltake doesnt have to do jack shit. You not employed by them and sending emails, lol, my fucking god.
I just skip all his videos that show up on my youtube feed.
Also the dude does 35minute case reviews where other channels do it in less than half the time he does. He talks to much shit.
Also get a fucking haircut and look presentable for you videos FFS. come out here looking like a bum.

mansoor1980

Gold Member

dude ur analysis is on point , im laughing out loud

isoRhythm

Banned
Interesting. I'd be interested in seeing him follow up at least once a year during this console generation, as typically even "matched" PC hardware will start to fall by the wayside while developers will just do the tuning and cuts to make things work on a fixed spec console. Some of the late 7th gen games would be unthinkable to run on equivalent PC hardware which had long since fallen off the tuning radar, I'm curious if this is still the case or things like low level APIs have blunted this somewhat.

"PC with 4 year old hardware"
The 3300x came out last May...

Edit: wtf I just checked GPU prices and gtx 1060 on Amazon is ~$400 CAD, basically almost the price of PS5 DE

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Holy shit this video is so fucking wrong it hurts,

There is a reason i still prefer buying my games on consoles instead of using my 3080.
It's way more optimized then on pc.
Shit normally just works.

Heck RT on COD COLDWAR is a fucking joke right now.. talking about the 3080! ffs
just no .. hell no. As much as i like console gaming and pc gaming..
this video is hilarious.. Also the fuck ? did this dude even test his shit.
borderlands 3 is SO bad on pc

Last edited:
That Cyberpunk console port to PC runs and looks amazing though! Especially with raytracing. Copious amounts of copium can't change that or any other comparison.
No one is gonna deny that, my post specificly say PCMR not regular PC gamers who enjoys the platform and it's advantages.

Last edited:

Sun Blaze

Banned

1070 was $379 when it was released. Not $500.

Borderlands 3 though was coded for not just shitty Jaguar but modern multicore CPUs.

I didn’t realize the PS4 version of BL3 had a 120fps mode, pretty cool.
It's one of those games that got an upgrade for those playing it on PS5/XSS/X.

Not a true next gen port, but updated with extra bells and whistles for the version on current gen systems.

Last edited:

tichamac

Banned
I am watching the video and don't understand what he is doing... ryzen 3300x is not 4 years old cpu ?
He said the gpu (1060) was 4 years old, not the cpu (3300x.) He said the cpu was at the low end of modern gaming cpus and good for budget builds.
Ps5? [...] "It's barely as fast as 1060"
That was only the first game, btw, Devil May Cry. Dirt 5 and Borderlands 3 were equivalent-ish to a 1080.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
You're kidding right? It transformed my 5700xt, a 1440p card to 1080p. The game is horribly optimized
You literally had to manually edit the memory address of the game's exe for AMD cpus to get decent performance lmao

isoRhythm

Banned
Holy shit this video is so fucking wrong it hurts,

There is a reason i still prefer buying my games on consoles instead of using my 3080.
It's way more optimized then on pc.
Shit normally just works.

Heck RT on COD COLDWAR is a fucking joke right now.. talking about the 3080! ffs
just no .. hell no. As much as i like console gaming and pc gaming..
this video is hilarious.. Also the fuck ? did this dude even test his shit.
borderlands 3 is SO bad on pc
Notice how he didn't compare coldwar because the game can barely maintain 50fps at 1440p on a 1060 :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom