• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GamersNexus] Starfield PC performance comparison: AMD vs nVidia

Draugoth

Gold Member

• Intel GPUs do not work, known issue and intel claims to have a driver that will be ready for release
  • Benchmarks disabled FSR/VRS/vsync
  • Looked for scenes with heavy load but not the absolute worst performing scenes, looked for typical but dense gameplay environments
  • Framerate across sample run on 4060Ti (drops into single digits)

Bonus Video:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
  • Framerate across sample run on 4060Ti (drops into single digits)

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF by Laff

Laptop1991

Hopefully, when Nvidia releases DLSS 3.5 this autumn for all RTX cards instead of just the 4 series to sell them, the performance should double as they stated, then i'll just use the DLSS mod with my RTX 3 series card, the mod should get updated i would imagine ,

i'll never own or be a 4090 owner at those prices, although i was impressed with FSR implementation in the Outer Words Spacer Edition, although maybe that was just put in the game properly in the end.

Hopefully, when Nvidia releases DLSS 3.5 this autumn for all RTX cards instead of just the 4 series to sell them, the performance should double as they stated, then i'll just use the DLSS mod with my RTX 3 series card, the mod should get updated i would imagine ,

i'll never own or be a 4090 owner at those prices, although i was impressed with FSR implementation in the Outer Words Spacer Edition, although maybe that was just put in the game properly in the end.

DLSS 3.5 is just improved raytracing, not frame generation so it's not going to improve performance.

Fahdis

Just give me a DLSS app for all my past games as well so I'm not stuck playing them at 2K Resolution. 4K or bust. Anything above that is also stupid.

I am aware its a game to game scenario but still one can dream.

Last edited:
Yeah, i've seen the chart, are you saying there will be no improvement from 2 to 3.5, because all the articles say there is

DLSS 2.0 = 63 fps
DLSS 3.5 = 108 fps

That's with frame generation, which is still exclusive to 4 series GPUs. DLSS 3.5 which will work for all RTX GPUs, is only improved raytracing, so you're not getting a performance boost there.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

That's with frame generation, which is still exclusive to 4 series GPUs. DLSS 3.5 which will work for all RTX GPUs, is only improved raytracing, so you're not getting a performance boost there.
well, we will wait and see, but they state there will be a boost in performance anyway without frame generation.

Laptop1991

For raytracing. Go enable ray tracing in Starfield settings and then let us know what performance hit you took.
Read the articles about the performance gains, 3.5 isn't out yet, so i can't use dlss apart from 2 with the mod, what is wrong with you, have you bought a 4 series card and don't like losing your version 3.0 advantage, your acting a bit salty over what Nvidia are saying as you can quite easily check yourself, what a dumb reply.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Uhhh… that article is entirely about ray tracing performance, nothing to do with frame generation. Also, that is not written by nvidia.

This one is by Nvidia and i never mentioned frame generation, i just quoted the performance gains that some on here don't seem to like, and it hasn't been released yet, you bought a 4 series by the way.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member

This one is by Nvidia and i never mentioned frame generation, i just quoted the performance gains that some on here don't seem to like, and it hasn't been released yet, you bought a 4 series by the way.
Lol, I have never seen someone go to such lengths to delude themselves. Again, that is purely about ray tracing performance - how can you possibly not see that? And… you think I bought a 40-series card because I disagree with you?

Get help, buddy.

FWIW, I game on a PS5 and occasionally fire up the iGPU on my 5800H for some retro gaming. I do, however, pay attention to the things that I read. Maybe try doing the same?

Laptop1991

Lol, I have never seen someone go to such lengths to delude themselves. Again, that is purely about ray tracing performance - how can you possibly not see that? And… you think I bought a 40-series card because I disagree with you?

Get help, buddy.

FWIW, I game on a PS5 and occasionally fire up the iGPU on my 5800H for some retro gaming. I do, however, pay attention to the things that I read. Maybe try doing the same?
What, i'm just reporting whats already out there, i'm not bothered Buddy!!, grow up, i couldn't care either way, take it up with Nvidia if you don't like it!.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
What, i'm just reporting whats already out there, i'm not bothered Buddy!!, grow up, i couldn't care either way, take it up with Nvidia if you don't like it!.
Dude… I honestly don’t know how you managed it but your post there sounds like you’re about to cry. It’s okay. Just go find a press release that details the expected performance gains of 3.5 for 30-series cards in non ray-traced scenarios. Shouldn’t be too hard, and would definitely put me in my place.

Mr Moose

GeForce RTX 40 Series users can combine Super Resolution and Frame Generation with Ray Reconstruction for breathtaking performance and image quality, while GeForce RTX 20 and 30 Series users can add Ray Reconstruction to their AI-powered arsenal alongside Super Resolution and DLAA.
It might give a slight boost over standard DLSS 2 with RT games.
hqdefault.jpg

So it could be like... 71fps?

Rea

DLSS 3.5 improve ray tracing performance using AI. If the game doesn't have Raytracing , the performance will be the same as Dlss 2. Rtx 40 series owners will enjoy frame generation. Thats the difference. Dlss 3.5 doesn't improve non-ray tracing games. At least that's what publicly known.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

DLSS 3.5 improve ray tracing performance using AI. If the game doesn't have Raytracing , the performance will be the same as Dlss 2. Rtx 40 series owners will enjoy frame generation. Thats the difference. Dlss 3.5 doesn't improve non-ray tracing games. At least that's what publicly known.
Ok, it will help games with ray tracing or games that get it added too, fine

Schmick

It might give a slight boost over standard DLSS 2 with RT games.
hqdefault.jpg

So it could be like... 71fps?
We don't know because nVidia isn't telling us, and as you mentioned DLSS 3.5 may only benefit games featuring RTX.

The claim Laptop1991 Laptop1991 made about doubling frame rates, makes no sense since any card before the 40xx series doesn't support frame generation.

If we take a game that offers no RTX on a 30xx card or older, the frame count could be exactly the same between DLSS 2.0 and DLSS 3.5.

Laptop1991

We don't know because nVidia isn't telling us, and as you mentioned DLSS 3.5 may only benefit games featuring RTX.

The claim Laptop1991 Laptop1991 made about doubling frame rates, makes no sense since any card before the 40xx series doesn't support frame generation.

If we take a game that offers no RTX on a 30xx card or older, the frame count could be exactly the same between DLSS 2.0 and DLSS 3.5.
Nvidia made the claim, i didn't, im just going by their chart

Laptop1991

Then you are misreading the chart. You will not see frame rates double between DLSS 2.0 and DLSS 3.5 on 30xx cards or older.
Well it clearly states from 63 to 108 but you may be right as i also said we will find out when it releases, why does it bother you so much

Schmick

Well it clearly states from 63 to 108 but you may be right as i also said we will find out when it releases, why does it bother you so much
I'm not bothered. I'm trying to inform you (and others). We wouldn't want misinformation to pollute the forum would we.

hqdefault.jpg

DLSS 2 with SR = 63fps
DLSS 3 with SR + FG = 100fps
DLSS 3.5 with SR + FG + RR = 108fps

SR = Super Resolution (available on all RTX cards)
FG = Frame Generation (only available on 40xx RTX cards)
RR = Ray Reconstruction (available on all RTX cards)

Its the FG element that gives the real fps boost (after the initial boost using DLSS) and being available on 40xx only those users will see the benefit.

For everyone else, at most, might see a fps increase of 8 fps so 71fps (SR + RR). Your statement of doubling frame rates, I'm afraid, isn't true.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I'm not bothered. I'm trying to inform you (and others). We wouldn't want misinformation to pollute the forum would we.

hqdefault.jpg

DLSS 2 with SR = 63fps
DLSS 3 with SR + FG = 100fps
DLSS 3.5 with SR + FG = 108fps

SR = Super Resolution (available on all RTX cards)
FG = Frame Generation (only available on 40xx RTX cards)
RR = Ray Reconstruction (available on all RTX cards)

Its the FG element that gives the real fps boost (after the initial boost using DLSS) and being available on 40xx only those users will see the benefit.

For everyone else, at most, might see a fps increase of 8 fps so 71fps (SR + RR). Your statement of doubling frame rates, I'm afraid, isn't true.
Ok, yeah i already said that to Mr Moose when he said the same, anything is better than nothing, we will find out when its released, deja vu

Top Bottom