• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop US: you can get a PS5 for $15 by trading your Xbox Series X

ToadMan

Let's not read too much into this.

What OP failed to relay is that this offer works both ways for PS5 and Series X. You get the same promotion by bringing in either console.

They’re offering the same trade in for PS5 too? Seems like PS5 should command more value for trade ins 🤷‍♂️

But I was more considering MS hoping/thinking/believing Starfield will save Xbox by making some kind of money, and hiking prices in advance.

TrueGrime

They’re offering the same trade in for PS5 too? Seems like PS5 should command more value for trade ins 🤷‍♂️

But I was more considering MS hoping/thinking/believing Starfield will save Xbox by making some kind of money, and hiking prices in advance.

There was already a console price hike months ago. I don't think MS would do a double hike, but, who knows these days.
PUuuVVj.png

hIagxbT.png

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

splattered

Oh sweet! You can trade in the PS5 for a brand new Series X if bear sex isn't your thing (Disclaimer: I have ZERO idea what kind of wacky alien sex is going to be in Starfield - proceed with caution)

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not sure how slim it will be but we see the new model very soon considering rumors have it coming out next month
The Spider-Man special edition is also coming out next month. Would be weird to get a special edition of the current console and a new slim model in the same month. But I guess it could happen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Spider-Man special edition is also coming out next month. Would be weird to get a special edition of the current console and a new slim model in the same month. But I guess it could happen.
A good reason I don't believe the new model is slim instead looks just like the current model with the detachable drive to get down to one sku

If there was a slim model coming what a time to launch it as a SM2 bundle

These in fact are guesses on my part though

TrueGrime

My bad, i couldn't see past my own hate boner :D

It's all good yo. GameStop deals and promotional are so abundant and convoluted. Before this promotion the $50 trade credit could be applied by selling Switch, Xbox One/Series, PS4/5.

Just check the time of day, blink twice, and click your heels together three times for it to change again.

BlakeofT

Oh wow. I'm in the position where I haven't played my Xbox in several months, really want a PS5 AND have a GameStop Pro membership. Seems like a no brainer, but I was also expecting a PS5 pro within the next year-ish. I don't even have a 4K TV though, so I think I probably wouldn't really even benefit from a PS5 Pro, so maybe I should do this deal here...

CobraAB

As I have a pretty decent gaming PC. And XBox of course makes zero sense. That and the PS5 is the perfect combo.

Would not mind a gaming handheld of some sort but have never really been into Nintendo. Well, did have an original GameBoy in 1990 but thats been it. Had a PSP and a Vita, have considered a PC handheld but not pulled the trigger yet.

rapid32.5

Sony's marketing is top-notch. They get all the right third-party exclusives and at the same time devalue Xbox consoles. If that is not enough Slim and Pro are on the way without spending billions of dollars.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A good reason I don't believe the new model is slim instead looks just like the current model with the detachable drive to get down to one sku

I have a feeling it will probably be the same design (due to the plate accessories), and people will get up in arms from their own expectations in their heads when we had nothing to point to it being any different or unable to work in said design.

Then again, the Spider-Man 2 bundle was claimed to be limited and is sold out already.

We shall see.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Perfect guesses too. It's super obvious at this point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh wow. I'm in the position where I haven't played my Xbox in several months, really want a PS5 AND have a GameStop Pro membership. Seems like a no brainer, but I was also expecting a PS5 pro within the next year-ish. I don't even have a 4K TV though, so I think I probably wouldn't really even benefit from a PS5 Pro, so maybe I should do this deal here...

Do It Watchmen GIF by Legendary Entertainment

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sadly gamestop are the only outlet that does half-decent console trades, I used one a while ago to trade my PS4 Pro for a PS5 and cut off like 70% of the price.

SenkiDala

So that PS5 slim is really around the corner huh ?
Here in France since almost 2 months the PS5 have been on sale at 450 (even less sometimes) instead of 550... Seems weird. Especially since Sony isn't really the generous type, which is normal when you're the leader.

Pedro Motta

You will be pleasantly surprised.

DavidGzz

PS5 pro reveal plus Starfield makes this a good deal for GameStop. Some may be tired of the X and want to try a PS5. Used XSX that have low stock numbers will sell for Starfield.

Unknown?

Let's not read too much into this.

What OP failed to relay is that this offer works both ways for PS5 and Series X. You get the same promotion by bringing in either console.

Edit: Hmmmmm. Might've misread the meaning of your post. If so, my bad!
Series X isn't discounted though. It's still $499.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sadly gamestop are the only outlet that does half-decent console trades, I used one a while ago to trade my PS4 Pro for a PS5 and cut off like 70% of the price.
When it comes to my old consoles I always have used Gamestop to trade in but I will be up front Gamestop is another corporation I have worked closely with for over 20 years so it makes financial sense for me if they stay in business :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When it comes to my old consoles I always have used Gamestop to trade in but I will be up front Gamestop is another corporation I have worked closely with for over 20 years so it makes financial sense for me if they stay in business :)

I don't like them but a good deal is a good deal.

BlakeofT

Does anyone know how long this deal lasts?

Put the kids to bed, gathered up my stuff to trade in, and drove to GameStop. They closed like 5 minutes before I pulled up. Surprised that they close at 8PM to be honest...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's peculiar economics aka regular Gamestop economics: Series X is at low supply while Sony is trying to rid old inventory, yet these clowns dare to ask for additional $15 consideration. That company has always had a thieving mindset and that Chapter 7 liquidation can't come soon enough. They took advantage of me back when I was a young whippersnapper giving me pennies on the dollar for my trade-ins. Way back when they were known as Funcoland.

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

Is Starfield alone enough to ignore the console everybody seems to want?

I thought this would be the case but BG3 threw a wrench into my expectations.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I thought this would be the case but BG3 threw a wrench into my expectations.
This.

Not many people have realized this, but Sony got its own console exclusive in BG3 to counter Starfield. One that has significant hype, momentum, and overwhelmingly positive reviews behind it. BG3 on PS5 is launching the same day as Starfield on XBS (?), and now Sony has no worries.

Luckily, Sony got to neutralize the biggest recent threat from Xbox. Jim Ryan, you lucky bastard!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No go. I have a lot of games on Xbox that I actually own and enjoy, not GamePass and some not available elsewhere. That said, this is pretty brilliant for people who only used GamePass, got it as a gift but wanted PS5, settled for Series X when PS5 was hard to find, etc. I bailed on Sony part the way through PS3 but I'll probably only be back for PS5 Pro mostly to get FF7 Rebirth without waiting. Tho if the future looks too dry on Playstation I might just wait and build a whole new PC. I'll decide it when the time comes.

Do you think sony will reveal ps5 slim at gamescom
🤔
Does Sony do big stuff at Gamescom? I thought they preferred TGS for big reveals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom