• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop will only sell consoles as part of 'bundles'

diffusionx

Gold Member
Their bundles are fine though. When the Switch was still relatively scarce I got one with ARMS, BOTW, and Mario Kart 8. Really tough to have any gripes with that.

Their PS5 bundles are like, Demon Souls and Miles Morales, can't get too worked up over this.

Not going to watch, are they saying they’re going to stop selling them separately? They were selling them separately within the past few days.

Bolivar687

Banned
Just be grateful they don't pull a Newegg and use bundles to hide the inflated price of the core item they're scalping you on.

xrnzaaas

As an option - cool, I don't mind.
As the only way to buy consoles - idiotic idea. I'd shop elsewhere if they had stores in my country.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Definitely looks like Microsoft and Sony left money on the table since the actual market price was probably more like $800 or so. I think Gamestop will get away with this in the near term easily enough.

I'm sorta surprised that Sony especially didn't just do a limited launch of the console with a bunch of games and an extra controller packed in for that much. Be truly evil and make it a collector's item with a bunch of "1st Edition" bullshit labeled on it.

Last edited:

Haint

Just be grateful they don't pull a Newegg and use bundles to hide the inflated price of the core item they're scalping you on.

Newegg doesn't even hide it, they straight up scalp stand alone units $100 over MSRP on their Newegg Business site.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Bumping this because I managed to get a PS5 through a GameStop bundle. I got Spiderman (I wanted to get MM, but this is the UE one, whatever, it's another plat), Demon Souls, another controller, and a $20 GS gift certificate. This seems reasonable to me, it wasn't like I was finding one another way. Same situation as the Switch years ago.

They only do this because of scalpers. Chances are that if you really want a PS5, you’ll probably be picking up a few launch titles. Scalpers are a little more hesitant buying bundles versus individual consoles.

Sure GameStop makes a little more money, its a win-win situation

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The GameStop bundles are still selling well above retail on eBay. This isn't meant to stop scalpers. It's meant to earn Gamestop more revenue by forcing a higher dollar sale. They've done this since the PS3/360 days.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's not current or next gen. It's last gen or current gen.
The company that is notorious for hounding customers for add-ons, club memberships and shady practices care about customers and what scalpers do? A sale is a sale and if it's a scalper they still get their money. It's all about $ per sale and add-ons. That is it. They may SAY that the reason is scalpers but it definitely is for the bigger sale.

Banjo64

cumsessed
As if GameStop give a fuck about whether you’re a scalper lmao.

Shocking practice that’s nearly as bad as scalpers. You even admit yourself that you didn’t want Spider-Man UE. A second pad and a twenty gift card? You do you but if I didn’t 100% want and need everything in that bundle I’d have been happy to wait.

Miles708

As if GameStop give a fuck about whether you’re a scalper lmao.

Shocking practice that’s nearly as bad as scalpers. You even admit yourself that you didn’t want Spider-Man UE. A second pad and a twenty gift card? You do you but if I didn’t 100% want and need everything in that bundle I’d have been happy to wait.
To be fair, game and controller can always be resold. Accessories in particular never go down in price.

diffusionx diffusionx I'm curious, did they add a big markup compared to the official prices?

Alot of bitching. Buy it somewhere else. Its not like they dominate the market. They should have been doing this since the beginning of the PS5 even thought I got it easy at 420$

diffusionx

Gold Member
To be fair, game and controller can always be resold. Accessories in particular never go down in price.

diffusionx diffusionx I'm curious, did they add a big markup compared to the official prices?

No, no markup.

I wanted a second controller and well, again, the UE doesn't bother me. I still need to finish DLC in the first game.

I can see why somebody wouldn't want these bundles but to me they are reasonable.

Miles708

No, no markup.

I wanted a second controller and well, again, the UE doesn't bother me. I still need to finish DLC in the first game.

I can see why somebody wouldn't want these bundles but to me they are reasonable.
Nice!

To be fair, they're bundling a console with its games. It's not like you're forced to buy a washing machine alongside the console. It makes sense.
I agree it's unpleasant to be forced to a purchase, but it's also very fair to assume that, in addition to the console, you will also want to play a game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nice!

To be fair, they're bundling a console with its games. It's not like you're forced to buy a washing machine alongside the console. It makes sense.
I agree it's unpleasant to be forced to a purchase, but it's also very fair to assume that, in addition to the console, you will also want to play a game.

I used to work at EB a long time ago and we put together these bundles with shit like Mad Catz memory cards, disc cleaners, a mandatory extended warranty, etc. I can see behind mad at this, but these GS bundles are fine, which is why I keep buying them lol.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the Xbox Series X $735 bundle with an extra controller, 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate, disc copy of AC Valhalla and NBA 2K21. I don't mind a higher priced bundle. I just wish they would let you choose what you want. Like for example, $735 bundle...$500 for the console and you would then have to pick games/accessories/etc. that would get the total to $735.

Rayderism

Guess I won't be getting my PS5 at Gamestop then. Once I can walk in a store and buy the console (whenever that may be), I plan to only get 3 things; the console, an extra controller and a 2-controller charging station, preferably Nyko. I like the Nyko charging stations because they come with that dongle so you can just drop the contoller into the charging cradle and not wear out the port. I have that for both PS3 and PS4 right now and I love it.

In fact, if I see the controllers and charging docks available somewhere, I may buy them ahead of the console. I'll be all digital on PS5 just like I am on PS4, so I won't need to buy any physical games, even though I plan to get the disk version of the console just to keep my options open.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought the Xbox Series X $735 bundle with an extra controller, 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate, disc copy of AC Valhalla and NBA 2K21. I don't mind a higher priced bundle. I just wish they would let you choose what you want. Like for example, $735 bundle...$500 for the console and you would then have to pick games/accessories/etc. that would get the total to $735.

See I wouldn't buy that bundle because I have no interest in those games. But I actually do think GS works to put out a decent variety of bundles.

Guess I won't be getting my PS5 at Gamestop then. Once I can walk in a store and buy the console (whenever that may be), I plan to only get 3 things; the console, an extra controller and a 2-controller charging station, preferably Nyko. I like the Nyko charging stations because they come with that dongle so you can just drop the contoller into the charging cradle and not wear out the port. I have that for both PS3 and PS4 right now and I love it.

In fact, if I see the controllers and charging docks available somewhere, I may buy them ahead of the console. I'll be all digital on PS5 just like I am on PS4, so I won't need to buy any physical games, even though I plan to get the disk version of the console just to keep my options open.

Ugh it's frustrating because I want the charging station and the wireless headset (for a stupid reason, my dumb dogs get scared when I play vidya) but they are both scarce.

Last edited:
I want a digital version for the basement and the fact that I'm excited to buy it, even with a bundle means I am absolutely the slut that Gamestop wants me to be so badly.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
See I wouldn't buy that bundle because I have no interest in those games. But I actually do think GS works to put out a decent variety of bundles.

I agree but after trying to get Series X for the last few months, have cancelled orders, Discover CC giving me issues for no apparent reason, I didn't care. I was just happy to finally have the console. I kept the controller ($60), redeemed the GPU code ($45) and traded in Valhalla and NBA 2K21 for $69.50. So I basically paid $560 for the console before tax which is perfectly fine as I just wanted the damn thing already and start playing games. lmao.

Top Bottom