• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Hardware Recommendation for Military Soilders (little to no Wifi / electric)

What are some gaming hardware solutions for soilders, service men and women that may still want to game while deployed and or in anarea with little to no Wifi and electricity?

Mobile / On the go gaming
Criteria:
  • Hardware that can hold a charge or swap batteries.
  • Able to store tons of games or easy to carry (cartridges)

Stationed / Fixed Gaming
Criteria:
  • Portable monitor
  • Back up battery ideal for hours of play time.
  • Able to store several games.

PSP and 3DS while deployed, get rechargeable battery packs. Switch seems a little too fragile for a deployment but if you're saying you're a soldier I'm guessing you're in the Army? You'll probably be on some chill ass 5* bases wherever you go so a console might be a possibility, I would only recommend it on a non-combat deployment or at the barracks though.

If you do go the console route, remember:

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
While deployed in Eastern Europe in 2016 Brought my Xbox one and a GAEMZ case with a monitor inside it did the job too even played online by doing a hot spot with my cell.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you're out there out on active duty in a foreign nation for whatever reason and theres little to no electric, or wifi, you might as well get a modified Switch/PSVITA/NDS/PSP and pirate all the games you ever wanted before you leave.

Spend your downtime playing it.

To be fair, I think that if you found yourself in an active warzone fighting for god and country, capitalism can go take a hike and let you enjoy what little there is to enjoy in such a situation.

Maogp

Modded PsVita is the way. As an emulator machine it's a beast, tons of Ps1/PSP/GBA/SNES roms. You have literally decades of games to play.

Silvawuff

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend an iPad. You can get some very durable cases for it and it can get tossed around in your pack all day without a problem. It's light and easy to carry. You can store lots of media on it for offline viewing. You can get a little bluetooth controller and enjoy some seriously good games on the go. Battery life is good and it's easy to recharge. It's a good mix between a media player and a laptop so you can do other things on it too, and it's much sturdier than said laptop.

mhirano

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend an iPad. You can get some very durable cases for it and it can get tossed around in your pack all day without a problem. It's light and easy to carry. You can store lots of media on it for offline viewing. You can get a little bluetooth controller and enjoy some seriously good games on the go. Battery life is good and it's easy to recharge. It's a good mix between a media player and a laptop so you can do other things on it too, and it's much sturdier than said laptop.
Gaming on an Ipad isn't really bad?

Belmonte

A Game Boy off course.

This is what happens when your enemy bombs it:

dJT4Fyr.jpeg

You just dust off the dirt and continue playing your Tetris.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Gaming on an Ipad isn't really bad?
It depends on the games you're playing. Some are very touch-control friendly. Example, if you like Final Fantasy, it's got some great, thoroughly playable ports that could keep you busy for a long time. The newer iPads work really well and can fit the bill depending on your needs. The biggest advantage is a bigger screen you can prop up anywhere, especially with an aftermarket stand or something, while still keeping an easy to pack-and-go on the fly footprint.

Jeeves

First thing that comes to mind is a Game Boy Advance. Either an SP for its clamshell and long battery life, or original for ability to swap AAs (better buy a wormlight though). Massive library since it's backwards compatible with GB/C. You could also buy a flash cart to put everything on one cartridge.

DS is a contender too but I assume it's more battery hungry.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would get a Switch Lite with a high capacity SD card and an Anker PowerCore+ 26800mAh battery pack. Keep the Switch Lite in a hard shell case when you're not using it.

Top Bottom