• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming is my LOVE Language" Have you ever met a love one through gaming?

have you ever met someone through gaming that you'd became close to?

Boyfriend, girlfriend, partner?

Bonus point if you got married irl

Double bonus point if you got married in game.

Sleepwalker

Met a bunch of friends in the MMO space back in the day, some of them still talk to. Also met a lot of people at esports tournaments :)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Nah, but I've made several pals from various game communities and forums over the years. Some just straight up really good folks. Decades later, they're still here, and they still keep up.

Three

I've never met anybody online who I've had a meetup with but I've had people who I've met and formed a connection with discussing or playing games. I play games with my gf too although at the beginning she was more of a mobile games addict.

Phase

I used to know someone who got married from a WoW guild. Personally, I've had partners who shared the hobby, but none that I met as a direct result of it.
I've made good friends on many games (Halo, BF, Tribes, etc.) that I talked to all the time and planned next play sessions but never once thought "hey I'd like to meet this person IRL." You must really have to bond deeply to both want to do that. Honestly, it's really heartwarming.

Rambone

When I was younger I met a girl while playing Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption multiplayer. We had a love interest going on for a fleeting moment but I quickly realized that online and distant relationships don't really work out all that well. I haven't really met anybody online since that we shared more than a casual bond. I also haven't met anybody in person who likes or plays video games, typically it is in my best interest to leave this hobby out of any conversation. My partner now knows that I play video games but I never would let her know how many hours I dedicate to playing games or how much I spend on the hobby. When she asks what I'm doing in my spare time, it's always cleaning, enjoying a different hobby, working on the house or something related to fiscal responsibility.

No. But i have dated gamers before and they were some of my best relationships tbh. It's always nice to be with someone that shares the same hobby as you do.

Just people telling me to kill myself, or git gud etc. Seriously though, just some cool people to game with online, but nobody I'd call a real friend.

Crayon

No but gaming was key to deciding to marry. If most of your free time together is 3 hours exhausted from work on the couch every weeknight, I wasn't about to do that with someone who doesn't like games for the rest of my life.

We've bonded over many games through the last 10 years. We were pretty poor at one point and the ps3 broke. Probabaly around 2010. So the launch ps3 finally died and I just pulled out a ps2 and kept going. I started a game of FF12 and after watching me for a few hours, started one too. We both got addicted and were practically taking shifts on it. So fun. I introduced her to sotn and she fell in love with that. It took her two weeks but she found a way to cheese out every boss and beat it with close to 200%.

At out wedding, she walked down the aisle to this:

And when we kissed and walked off, we played this:

Our rings have engraved inside: "Kept you waiting, huh?" and "... you're pretty good."

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
No... ...but I lost a few.

Double Cross GIF by ALLBLK

Last edited:

killatopak

My first love yeah. Played Yugi-oh, League of Legends, FFX, borrowed her copy of FFX-2 and GBA/GBC games and even streamed for a while.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Through gaming? No. But found out I have a lot of games in common with people once I get to know them.

My sister met her husband through World of Warcraft. God they're weird.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah, through a match on a dating app. Didn’t mention gaming but I had a pic wearing bloodborne t-shirt and she had the insight

Havoc2049

Way back in the day I went out on a few dates with a girl I met in Halo 4. We lived about 2-4 hours apart, depending on the traffic, so it was somewhat of a long distance relationship and we weren't head over heals for each other, so it just kinda faded away.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No, I've never really made close friends through online gaming, I am usually pretty casual about my online games, and don't form groups of regulars.

My wife and I are both gamers, and we play together sometimes, but it has nothing to do with how we met and we mostly play different games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I met my "distant ex" because we both like(d) Silent Hill 2. We met online. Lol. Worst decision I ever made, but, hey... life lessons and experience, etc..

To be completely fair, Silent Hill 2 is a red flag for all things other than "having really good taste in horror games,"

Top Bottom