• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Journalism |OT| May contain trace amounts of games. Or journalism.

587.jpg

Since Zoe hasn't released a "game" in years and with no head on offer for reviews, I guess he finally moved on.

GreyHorace

Nah, he's always had this "Corporations bad" take, unless he can shit on gamers, in which case corporations good.
So we're worse than the corporations now? I guess it's because Kotaku can't survive without corporate sponsorship and can no rely on the number of site clicks they get from readers. So he has to be careful to not burn bridges with too many of these publishers. Am I right?

He's no fucking better than Blizzard trying to appease the Chinese government. A shill like him has no right to get all morally outraged.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Amazing. Now Schreier is against Bliizzard.

When just last year he was stanning for them:

gbzmmd93rcw11.jpg

What a two faced cuck.

More than likely because he could see the vast majority of sites/ forums are all very heavy on "Fuck Blizzard".
In fact it's one of the few things in gaming/ politics in that past few years the vast majority seems to be in a agreement with.

He certainly wouldn't be able to come out in support of Blizzard without having massive blow back. Plus he would be standing alone and become an easy target.
He probably worked out that he wouldn't be able to remain silent either as it's such a hot topic atm. People might start wondering what his opinions are and dig up that old tweet.

He took the initiative.

Petrae

Hurr hurr. Capitalism bad so says gaming 'journalists.' People who protest China are racist Alt Right gamergators!

I swear, these people are so predictable it's not even funny anymore.

Here we are in the busiest quarter of the year for video game releases, with news about next year’s PlayStation 5 slowly trickling out... and yet, “games journalists” keep shoveling their sociopolitical agendas down everyone’s throats. Is it any wonder that traditional games press has become a giant bucket of failure?

Stay in your fucking lane. Not as many people as you desperately want give one speck of shit about your sociopolitical leanings and what you think is “right”. Nobody wishes to be harangued or lectured when they visit a website that’s supposed to be about their preferred form of free time entertainment.

This shit started with Mass Effect 3’s EndingGate, and has gotten exponentially worse since then. Thankfully, YouTube personalities have figured out how to stay in their own lanes and, in turn, have been gradually stealing traffic and support from traditional games press websites.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Came to post “what’s a ‘yeet’?”.
i was wondering as well. this is what dictionary.com told me:
Yeet is an exclamation of excitement, approval, surprise, or all-around energy, often as issued when doing a dance move or throwing something.Jul 18, 2018
so i guess for people who want to express excitement & approval of the rich?

also there is this.... thing
yeet-et.png

glad to be old enough to be like "damn kids make no sense"

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

So, two writers leave Kotaku and we have what I assume it meant to be a deep, harrowing look into why. The article is a nothing. They talk about themselves, self inflate each others ego's, bemoan how business means companies have to be conservative (which I'll come back to) which culminates in an accusation against the now owner near the end. We get a very personal and unevidenced accusation near the very end like a throwaway comment

Gita: His outward and obvious hostility towards the writers here, his treatment of the Deadspin writers, his firing of Barry, the way that he talks about Deadspin and the way that he won’t take responsibility for its closure even though it comes from his really awful management decisions, have just made my faith in the ability of him being able to keep this company solvent, just completely obliterated. And it’s all him. It’s all his choices.

This is what growing up means Gita/Josh. It means that all those youthful fires of rebellion based on nothing more than ideology temper as you get older because you realise that principles have costs. And unless there is very real, actual social injustice or atrocities affecting a huge majority then it rarely spills over into anything more than grumbles.

Wait, maybe we did find the real reason why he left

Heather Alexandra, Senior Writer, Kotaku
Josh and I share an office.

I mean, yeah that will do it.

These are articles they churn out

https://kotaku.com/apocalypse-now-and-again-and-again-1840907105
https://kotaku.com/the-sexiness-of-control-1840876335
https://kotaku.com/in-the-space-my-mirrors-once-were-i-made-avatars-1840317598

Anything not 'News' or 'Impressions' (i.e. press releases or contextualised), turns into me, me, me. They are egotistical outpourings of no real concern other than the audience should read about me and enjoy it. Josh's stuff just seems like random thoughts turned into three paragraphs sprinkled with media reviews.

Imagine the amount of content these guys churn out, and all they're known for is their blatantly over the top, politically injected, reaching articles. Where are the actual real gaming articles that should form the basis of your portfolio which allows the odd article like above.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
How sad of a human being do you have to be to play a strategy game and all you can think of is colonialism and politics? Just enjoy a damn game.
i looked up the article. it is not about games. it mentions 2 or 3 games by name but it generally a chance for her to complain about evolutionary history. she is whining about Darwinism and sociologists and academic shit. this has literally nothing to do with video games. it's some history major trying to sell an essay complaining about western hegemony by attaching a handful of screenshots to it.

Last edited:

small_law

Everything that woman knows about colonialism she read off the back of a cereal box. These people don't have degrees in this stuff. It's just somebody's dumb opinion. How is she able to convince anyone that she has knowledge or expertise about the things she writes about is beyond me.

Kotaku Features Editor and Final Fantasy book writer says Final Fantasy Remake Demo is too hard.

ZXHg2ku.png

Journalist mode really needs to be a thing.

At this point these people just want instant gratification instead of learning how to play a game. Isn't it even ironic when you consider that they're supposed to write worthwhile and credible analyses of games?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol for a fully grown adult gets paid to play video games for a living he is real shitty at his job.

also for a writer who is supposed to report facts he is also shitty at his job. its not "a million systems"
- attack with attack button
- switch players with d-pad
- special moves with X

A MILLION SYSTEMS HOWD O I PLAYYY THIISS DURRRR??

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

I've said this before but I really want to see a game just go way over the top with a mode like this: in-game video tutorials that condescendingly show you what each button on the controller does, an ai voice over that reassures you you are doing good, overwrought woke verbage, etc.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Kotaku Features Editor and Final Fantasy book writer says Final Fantasy Remake Demo is too hard.

ZXHg2ku.png

I was thinking about this recently whilst replaying OG Doom and Doom II. These games can be hard and I couldn’t help thinking that there is no way a modern games writer would ever play a game like this nowadays.

I keep hearing more and more of them (even ones in their forties that grew up on hard games) bragging about playing games on easy mode because “I don’t have time to play hard games”. Like they revel in being pathetic. It’s the biggest cop out excuse ever.

Top Bottom