• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War E-Day Has Been Announced!

simpatico

Gears

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.

The first game is a total and repetitive borefest

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise
Son, there's a strong chance you're not gonna make it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shit, the whole Gears of War is a stolen pos. The main game mechanic was lifted from a 90s Japanese arcade shooter game. Well, the rest, the dialogues, the story is just plain laughing matter. Made by adults who stuck in childhood forever.
Steve Harvey Cringe GIF by ABC Network

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
New interview with more details

On why it's E-Day and not Gears 6

"E-Day is an origin story," Nicole Fawcette continued, "it's the origin story of the bond that defines the franchise, which is Marcus Fenix and Dom Santiago's friendship. When you first meet them, they're not the same Marcus and Dom you know. In Gears 1, they've already spent 14 years fighting the Locust."

In Gears of War: E-Day, Marcus and Dom are just returning from the Pendulum Wars, which was a global resource conflict between two of Sera's primary super powers. Millions were lost in this conflict, and the development of insane weapons like the orbital laser Hammer of Dawn emerged during this conflict. Humanity enjoyed barely two months of respite after this war, before E-Day occurs.

"Peace was declared on Sera, and they had a hopeful future in front of them. There's also trauma and grief from the Pendulum Wars, stemming from the passing of Dom's brother Carlos. Carlos was Dom's brother, but he was Marcus' best friend. So, Marcus and Dom are not the best of friends that we know of, yet."

"So, the trailer set our emotional tone, as well as our visual tone," Nicole continued. Indeed, we learned over the past week that the trailer for Gears of War: E-Day was entirely in-engine, using in-game assets and lighting, and should be a good representation of the kind of quality players can expect when the game launches. It should be a good representation of the horror, too.

"You can see that we've wanted to reposition the Locust drone as actual scary, terrifying creatures. People remember Gears of War 1 of having these high moments of horror, and being scared. We're going back to that darker, grittier vibe that people have in their mind when they think about the franchise."

On E-Day's difference to previous games

"I would say, this is the next mainline Gears game," Searcy emphasized, "Gears has a pretty clear DNA for gameplay modes, so you can probably anticipate where we'll be going with E-Day."

Indeed, there are some things about Gears that will never change, like competitive multiplayer, but I was also curious how E-Day will subvert expectations. It's true that we've never experienced E-Day itself, but fighting Locust in a crumbling city does at least sound pretty familiar. I asked Matt and Nicole how they'd find ways to bring something new, while also heading into the past.

"I agree, there's a lot of stuff we can do. On the story, there's a 14 year gap between E-Day and Gears 1. Even Gears Tactics was a few years into the war. E-Day isn't a world that's destroyed. It's a beautiful world, with people who are in a time of peace. We see the Locust introduced through the eyes of people who have never seen them before, and don't know what's going on," Matt explained. "We're also going to change up gameplay stuff as well. We've worked on the franchise for ten years so we've got experience with revisiting enemy types, but also adding new weapons, and maybe even new enemies as well. We'll do all that stuff."

On the chainsaw lancer (not featured in the trailer)

Nicole chimed in with hints about the evolution of Gears' most iconic weapon, the Chainsaw Lancer. Which, indeed, was a product born of necessity in the E-Day era. "E-Day is the origin story of many things, including the Chainsaw Lancer. We'll see the Chainsaw Lancer was actually built after the fact, since there were no weapons that could pierce their super thick hides. We'll tell the story of how that came to be, and yes, you will get to use it too."

On General RAAM possibly appearing

Is Raam going to show up? I ask. "We're not really answering story questions right now ..." the duo say, exchanging smirks.

Last edited:
The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.
Same. Played original trilogy on 360. Thought they were decent. Maybe too dark and grey for my taste.

Gears 5 though, that one hit the mark. Especially controls.

For E Day I hope they make it even more fast paced with same responsiveness. Love evade move that you can use Elden Ring style at close range.

Goalus

On E-day, then-General Sraak attempted to assassinate Raam because he was afraid of him. His life guards then turned on him (Sraak) when they realized that Raam was in fact the ultimate Gigachad and killed Sraak instead. That's when Raam became General (Uzil) - would love to see this in the game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They made wrong and cowardly decisions by not finishing what they started. Gears 5 was miles better than 4, I played them one after another in order and good lord they improved A LOT! I honestly can't comprehend why people don't like Kait so much, she's one of the best characters in the whole IP along with just as good Marcus in 5, Kait's story arc and storyline is also much better than what was in the past Gears games before 4.

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.

The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.

What a joke. Previous Gears games were boring af cover based shooters in terms of core desing with terrible story and unlikable characters. Gears 5 improved a lot in almost every aspect and made Gears a lot more fun to play with more option in combat etc.

Laugh Lol GIF

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Is it a game?
Is it fun?
Is it value for money?

Those are the only three questions that are needed for most people.
You’re free to download Unity or UE and make your own faithful adaptation of War and Peace.

The first time I played Gears on the 360 and was chainsawing locust drones, I certainly wasn’t debating if it was fine and sophisticated art.
What will you enjoy when all the games become low level because the masses got hooked up on those? Like a lot of people complain around here that AAA games are getting shallower every year. Pfff... get out of your bubble.

Jesb

Watching this trailer has piqued that interest back in the series again. I feel like doing a whole series run again. It’s been so long. And I have GFN so what better way to replay them.

Back to the trailer. It feels like Gears is back. Just a cinematic but if it’s anything to go by it feels like that dark tone and brutal terror vibe is there. If I could have something in this gears it would be to have more horror elements to it. Like Gears tends to make you feel comfortable that you’ll get out of a situation. I’d like to see scenarios where you’re not comfortable and some scenes that terrify the player.

Fredrik

New interview with more details

On why it's E-Day and not Gears 6

On E-Day's difference to previous games

On the chainsaw lancer (not featured in the trailer)

I literally couldn’t be more hyped about this release, feels like they’re doing everything right! There has always been a surprising amount of lore in this IP, there are so many cool stories they can tell.
And I hope the lancer is introduced kinda like the blades in God of War, 100% fan service 👌
Can’t wait!!!

Top Bottom