• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War E-Day Has Been Announced!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nice to see gears go back to it's roots, hopefully it will be well written and not a cringe fest like 5 was.

I wouldn't blame them if they just dropped the second trilogy, and have a new prequel trilogy. Interesting to see where would Judgement fit in.
Pretty sure that everyone involved just tries to forget Judgement exists.

I liked the characters in 4 and 5 though generally it feels like other fans for whatever reason did not, i just felt the open world stuff was too half baked like they weren't willing to fully commit to open world and then the ending was AWFUL. The ending is the real problem they will be facing if they do decide to ever go back and make #6 in the series.
I really like Gears 4, although fighting the robots in the beginning was stupid. The multiplayer was really good and well done. Gears 5 multiplayer was bad and dropped off very quickly. I know Gears 5 got great reviews but at this point, who can trust reviews especially when the game is yet another "step aside, men, it's #herturn" story.

They are facing the same issue that Halo did after 3, from a story POV, new Gears has no reason to exist. So they end up making retreads that are not just unnecessary, they feel unnecessary. Maybe the devs realized they were falling into the same trap as 343 so decided to go in this direction. After all Reach was good.

Last edited:

proandrad

It always seemed insane to me that the literal dudebro game that defined the 360 generation was the series Microsoft was like....yeah I think a woman lead is what's needed for the next installment.

lucious lyon wtf GIF
It’s just corporate greed, they think they already have one audience in the bag.

Goalus

They are facing the same issue that Halo did after 3, from a story POV, new Gears has no reason to exist.
I see this nonsense repeated over and over again, and everyone who paid attention to the story knows that it is high-class bullshit coming from so-called "fans" who do not seem to have the slightest interest in the Gears lore. In particular, the most pressing question "where did the locust come from?" is not answered until the second act of Gears 5.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I liked the characters in 4 and 5 though generally it feels like other fans for whatever reason did not
They can't even say why with some legit arguments, ffs.

i just felt the open world stuff was too half baked like they weren't willing to fully commit to open world
It's not that they didn't commit, they tried, but the UE4 didn't let them make it happen. But that's what I'm saying, instead of running away from the idea screaming like a bitch, they should've instead made it work cuz UE5 was designed for openworld games.

and then the ending was AWFUL.
Why it was awful? I don't get it. I mean, if that's how you want to approach it, then you pretty much can say that about any other sequel with similar ending which is clearly hinting at continuation.

The ending is the real problem they will be facing if they do decide to ever go back and make #6 in the series.
It's not a problem, they just need to continue the story like they did with 5 after 4. It just doesn't make sense to go back 5 games to the first trilogy and make a prequel for it? Who's even doing that? I mean, we can name some games here for sure, but again, in this particular case it just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

splattered

They can't even say why with some legit arguments, ffs.

It's not that they didn't commit, they tried, but the UE4 didn't let them make it happen. But that's what I'm saying, instead of running away from the idea screaming like a bitch, they should've instead made it work cuz UE5 was designed for openworld games.

Why it was awful? I don't get it. I mean, if that's how you want to approach it, then you pretty much can say that about any other sequel with similar ending which is clearly hinting at continuation.

It's not a problem, they just need to continue the story like they did with 5 after 4. It just doesn't make sense to go back 5 games to the first trilogy and make a prequel for it? Who's even doing that? I mean, we can name some games here for sure, but again, in this particular case it just doesn't make sense.

I dont want to spoil it for people that haven't finished it yet...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I dont want to spoil it for people that haven't finished it yet...

I can solve the problem for you in just a few seconds - nobody gives a shit about JD, he was terrible in 4, was in 5 even more and that's it, there's nothing to fix, everyone should save you know who and devs need to continue with that.

See, that's actualy one of the best parts of 5, they've tried to make something cool and new for the series, tried to give you the choice you have to make over the course of the game based on what you knew and found out. There was nothing like that in the series before, nobody offered a choice for you, which can affect the ending and the future game as well. I mean, let's be real here, they're not making ME trilogy here but what they need to do next story-wise and based on that choice you make is simple, just like the choice you have to make - I didn't even think for a second when I was asked cuz I knew what I had to do.

Last edited:
I haven't played since the trilogy, and this is the most interesting thing I've seen since then. 4 and 5 did not interest me at all.

A 1-3 collection followed by this, could get me back into the IP though.

Alebrije

Well of they played the prequel card, why not multiversus one with a new different story of Gears 1-3.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Fuck I wish I had an xbox. I love gears. Sadly I'm a two ecosystem household. Switch and PS5. I'm praying this cones to ps.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Personally I don’t think it’s a good sign for Xbox as a platform and brand that fans put this much weight into the nth Gears of War sequel, and I say that as a fan of the original 3 games.
It’s the 6th main instalment of a series that started in 2006, 18 years ago. The last game came out 5 years ago. It’s hardly been milked dry.

IDappa

Gears 3 was already way more colorful and shiny than gears1, that one was the real king of the horror atmosphere for a gears game and still my favourite game in the saga.
For sure was brighter than 1-2 but I think it hit a pretty good mid ground. Definitely wasn’t as horror focused but still had its moments. New gears to me is far brighter and cleaner looking than og trilogy.

Last edited:

IDappa

They made wrong and cowardly decisions by not finishing what they started. Gears 5 was miles better than 4, I played them one after another in order and good lord they improved A LOT! I honestly can't comprehend why people don't like Kait so much, she's one of the best characters in the whole IP along with just as good Marcus in 5, Kait's story arc and storyline is also much better than what was in the past Gears games before 4.

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.

The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.

What a joke. Previous Gears games were boring af cover based shooters in terms of core desing with terrible story and unlikable characters. Gears 5 improved a lot in almost every aspect and made Gears a lot more fun to play with more option in combat etc.
I’ll be honest and say I still like the new gears just not on the same level as my love for the originals.

Sleepwalker

The problem with 4 and 5 for me is I just dont care about the new characters, Kate, Del, JD, the stupid robot, The asshole with the glasses. Just do away with all of them. The skiff sections were also really boring to me.

Thats why I loved hivebusters, new cast, no skiff.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I think the issue is, why bring up whether it's in-engine, real time, CGI or whatever in the first place.

It's like a sly shot towards the developers.

He could've said the 2nd paragraph and that would've been fine.
Im happy to know whether or not it is so i can get an accurate idea.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After watching the trailer again.... you know what, Gears is BACK baby!
I haven't been interested in the franchise since the original trilogy but this has me interested again.
Hopefully they also bring the original trilogy to Steam or at least the remastered version of GoW 1 that's currently only on the Windows store.
I'm hyped and I bet this is going to look incredible.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It took me over a decade but I was finally able to sink my teeth into this franchise during quarantine and completed them all aside from 5 (the only time GamePass was ever useful for me). I dunno what the general consensus here is on the overall "best one," but I enjoyed part 2 the most. It's when everything really kicked in for me and I found myself really getting into the plot and characters.

GOW5 just reeks of early "the future is female" smothering in all forms of media. Wasnt feeling Kait whatsoever. I even thought 4 was sorta weak (but looked fucking awesome). The series also doesnt need to go open world, or hub-spokey/sidequest semi open world. It made it's mark being a straightforward sci fi war epic and that's where its strengths lie and that's where it performs best to me. Not everything needs to be some bloated Sony-esque cinematic experience. The Coalition needs to keep this series focused on being razor sharp linear experiences full of setpieces, action and drama.

Also GOW Ultimate Edition Deluxe is on sale for $4.99

Copped and will replay. I might run through 4 again too just for the visuals, weather effects and old Marcus.

Edit: Gears 4 is also $4.99 :messenger_open_mouth:

Last edited:

Nothing in that trailer looked out of reach to me on a high end PC. Gears 5 already has character meshes that can give that trailer a run for its money. The lighting model in that trailer is a lot better than Gears 5 though.

Also, I'm pretty sure in that trailer the scene with the city in the back drop was just a screenshot, I have to watch it again.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Really hope this game is a full on testosterone overdose. The industry needs it. Games need it. Bring it back. What's old can indeed be new again.

90% of the industry output nowadays is pansy ass, multi gendered, placate to all experiences. Please for the love of christ let this be one for us regular fucking dudes that like headshots and chainsaws.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
they brought back gears of war title instead of just gears, that is good. i thought it was dumb to just call it gears.

My OCD is so fucked because of the titling of these games and how they show up in the dashboard......granted im gonna be playing this on PC, but still.

• Gears 5
  • Gears Tactics
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War 4
  • Gears of War E-Day
  • Gears of War Judgement

Last edited:
Really hope this game is a full on testosterone overdose. The industry needs it. Games need it. Bring it back. What's old can indeed be new again.

90% of the industry output nowadays is pansy ass, multi gendered, placate to all experiences. Please for the love of christ let this be one for us regular fucking dudes that like headshots and chainsaws.
The multiplayer in the Gears of War games are still the most advanced action games today when it comes to raw controller input.

For us vets of the series I’m hoping The Coalition bring back the gnasher from GOW 4 competitive tuning for multiplayer.

KaiserBecks

It always seemed insane to me that the literal dudebro game that defined the 360 generation was the series Microsoft was like....yeah I think a woman lead is what's needed for the next installment.

lucious lyon wtf GIF
I think in a world where humanity is fighting for survival, it should be a no brainer that women can be part of it. I have no problem with a female protagonist. I have a problem with vehicle open-world sections that ruined the pacing of an otherwise fine game. Gears 5 had some amazing setpieces, but the open world made the game quite boring at times.

I think in a world where humanity is fighting for survival, it should be a no brainer that women can be part of it. I have no problem with a female protagonist. I have a problem with vehicle open-world sections that ruined the pacing of an otherwise fine game. Gears 5 had some amazing setpieces, but the open world made the game quite boring at times.
I actually didn't mind too much the open-ended gameplay but correct me if I'm wrong, those side activities were merely picking up upgrades correct?

Visceral is what springs to mind after watching the trailer.

Top Bottom