• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War E-Day Has Been Announced!

Jetpac

They made wrong and cowardly decisions by not finishing what they started. Gears 5 was miles better than 4, I played them one after another in order and good lord they improved A LOT! I honestly can't comprehend why people don't like Kait so much, she's one of the best characters in the whole IP along with just as good Marcus in 5, Kait's story arc and storyline is also much better than what was in the past Gears games before 4.

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.

The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.

What a joke. Previous Gears games were boring af cover based shooters in terms of core desing with terrible story and unlikable characters. Gears 5 improved a lot in almost every aspect and made Gears a lot more fun to play with more option in combat etc.

It’s okay to say you weren’t good at the game. We understand.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yep.

Here's an example of a first trailer showing us a game going back to its roots with stunning engine..... and then we got this:

1200px-HINF-CRAIG.jpg

You'd probably have more traction with this line of skepticism if this wasn't the Coalition we were talking about.
Outside Epic, they're pretty much the best at Unreal Engine.

No release date announced, and no driving need to meet a console launch. They've got the time they need.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ssa0YGf.jpeg
oL7T8GU.jpeg

XkPxIDs.jpeg
hZNi0Lk.jpeg

r39bSSa.jpeg
Fc7rIJG.jpeg

Shot comparisons between the new Gears of War and Gears 5.
The new faces look terrible for such an high fidelity game, way too stylized(or whatever it is that make them look goofy), marcus legit looks better in the previous game.

Last edited:
The new faces look terrible for such an high fidelity game, way too stylized(or whatever it is that make them look goofy), marcus legit looks better in the previous game.
Might have a point about the facial modelling but the environments, animation and lighting are a generation beyond the previous game. Learning that's all real-time and not pre-rendered just tells us how good The Coalition are.

Schmendrick

Might have a point about the facial modelling but the environments, animation and lighting are a generation beyond the previous game. Learning that's all real-time and not pre-rendered just tells us how good The Coalition are.
in engine means absolutely nothing.....
can`t believe people still fall for this in 2024.

Last edited:
They made wrong and cowardly decisions by not finishing what they started. Gears 5 was miles better than 4, I played them one after another in order and good lord they improved A LOT! I honestly can't comprehend why people don't like Kait so much, she's one of the best characters in the whole IP along with just as good Marcus in 5, Kait's story arc and storyline is also much better than what was in the past Gears games before 4.

Why on earth do people love huge and stupid military dudes with gigantic shoulders and square chins so much instead of actually good characters? I just don't fuckin' get it, they're boring af and completely unlikable, not to mention that there's not even any kind of emotional connection.

The first game is a total and repetitive borefest and the 4th one is exactly like it in terms of design and gameplay. It looked great back when it came out but I can't say anything else positive about it. I've played it and finished it in case someone wondering.

I'm not a fan of any Gears game before 5. 5 is the best one in the whole franchise and I love it to death, even though it's not perfect in terms of UE4 design limitations.

What a joke. Previous Gears games were boring af cover based shooters in terms of core desing with terrible story and unlikable characters. Gears 5 improved a lot in almost every aspect and made Gears a lot more fun to play with more option in combat etc.
I will give you that overall 5 was better then 4 but both are shadows of the original trilogy.

We don't love huge and stupid military dudes over actually good characters. We like huge military dudes that fit the concept of the game instead of badly written whiny characters that don't fit the original meaning of the games. You like 4/5 because it's what you knew first but Gears was always hyper masculine. It's about a group of guys fighting for survival, and about brotherhood during war. Nothing matter besides the man next to you. You may not like it, but that is what Gears is.

I'm not saying you can't have women in Gears, because Gears has some great women like Anya and Sam. They are strong female characters that don't try too hard to be strong unlike Kait. They don't have to make everything about them, and they don't have to be shitty to other people because characters already respect them not because they are a woman, but because they are "the man beside you".

Boring as fuck cover based shooters? They are the reason for cover based shooters lol. Don't even bother bringing up Killswitch because while it may have done it first it's not what influenced an entire generation.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I will give you that overall 5 was better then 4 but both are shadows of the original trilogy.

We don't love huge and stupid military dudes over actually good characters. We like huge military dudes that fit the concept of the game instead of badly written whiny characters that don't fit the original meaning of the games. You like 4/5 because it's what you knew first but Gears was always hyper masculine. It's about a group of guys fighting for survival, and about brotherhood during war. Nothing matter besides the man next to you. You may not like it, but that is what Gears is.
You do know the war ended in 3 right? Do you think they should have just retconned that or something? 4 is an extremely logical progression from 3.

You do know the war ended in 3 right? Do you think they should have just retconned that or something? 4 is an extremely logical progression from 3.
Yes, and I don't think you really understand what I'm saying. Let me try to make it easier for you.

War does not have to mean simply the titular conflict. Again, the whole concept of the game was basically masculinity and brotherhood during conflict. Think something like the movie Black Hawk Down. It follows a group of characters as they fight next to and for the people fighting alongside them. It's a very simple concept.

Now whether or not you like the masculinity is a different story, but I think if you don't like the hyper masculinity then I don't think the Gears trilogy is for you. I'm simply describing why me and so many other people loved the original trilogy and don't like the new games to a person who can't seem to understand why.

Edit: I'm not trying to be condescending.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Yes, and I don't think you really understand what I'm saying. Let me try to make it easier for you.

War does not have to mean simply the titular conflict. Again, the whole concept of the game was basically masculinity and brotherhood during conflict. Think something like the movie Black Hawk Down. It follows a group of characters as they fight next to and for the people fighting alongside them. It's a very simple concept.

Now whether or not you like the masculinity is a different story, but I think if you don't like the hyper masculinity then I don't think the Gears trilogy is for you. I'm simply describing why me and so many other people loved the original trilogy and don't like the new games to a person who can't seem to understand why.
I just thought it was actually preserving and honoring the original trilogy. It reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin. 4 takes place after the worst war ever, so the new crew is portrayed as a bit softer. That just ends up retroactively hyping up the original crew even more since they survived something the new crew can't even imagine. That's why going back to E-Day even works, because the lore still honors that as a worse war. Everything in Kenshin has action, but it's never eclipsing the seriousness of the previous war so when they do flashbacks it actually works and has that weight. If they just endlessly move the dial up over and over it kind of loses all stakes. E-Day and the original trilogy are parallel to D-Day and WW2. It's supposed to always be the peak. Nothing in the future fully eclipses it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah i have nothing to say about the rest being an upgrade, it would be tragic if it wasn't :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But let's not forget that rendering a room with 2 characters is not the same as rendering a playable game with multiple characters, explosions, physics etc. and the shot of the city at the end is way to far to judge actual finer details and stuff, at best we can judge the artstyle and the lighting i guess.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The Black Hawk Down comparison is apt. I get a lot of Expendables 1-3 vibes too weirdly :messenger_beaming:

I stayed up surprisingly late last night bouncing between Gears 1 Ultimate and 4 and it unearthed an itch I didn't know I had. It's so damn refreshing to play something that's so cut n' dry linear and straightforward while maintaining good pacing and lacking any politics or bullshit....on top of starring a bunch of tough straight guys (while maintaining diversity quotas that aren't shoved up your ass and that make good, memorable characters).

It's only been a few years since playing through them for the first time and damn they feel good to return to amidst the ocean of mostly busted, bloated, monotonous, phony pandering drivel.

Completely forgot about that opening to 4 and the flashback scene at Aspho Point, during E Day and finally at the Anvil Gate. Pretty cool shit.

And for a "remaster" I think that that Gears Ultimate is for sure one of better ones that never gets mentioned (just like Butcher Bay). Unfortunately it came out at a time when really no one gave a flying fuck about Xbox One. I don't even remember hearing about it being released or reviewed, but I sure as hell remember it being given away for free as a pack in with the console :messenger_dizzy:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I'm only on Gears 4, chapter 2 right now though so if it takes a sudden nosedive I'll admit it. So far it's great though. I can't imagine people wanted the exact same thing for a 5th game. Judgment was not fondly received at the time for this reason. Really similar situation to God of War Ascension at that time. And they rebooted for the same reason.

Spot on. Judgment and Ascension I believe released a couple months apart from each other and it was just simply rough timing. The generation had been dragged on for far too long and everyone saw both games as C-grade filler while awaiting the "true next gen sequels." I remember I bought Ascension simply for The Last of Us demo that was included.

Funny thing is Ive been listening to old Bombcasts recently and at the time of release, Gerstmann was really digging Judgment and his thoughts on it made it sound really cool. Then of course fast forward a couple years and he thinks its total shit. Like what the fuck? Another thing Ill never understand with some people. If I like a game, I like a game. Im not going to despise it five years down the line because reasons and all the cool kids are dumping on it.

I missed out on Judgment. It kinda sounds like the ODST of the series with the flashback missions from different perspectives. It also apparently has some serious tie ins to E Day? Will definitely be worth checking out down the line. And People Can Fly made this one. Ill try anything those guys make.

Punished Miku

Spot on. Judgment and Ascension I believe released a couple months apart from each other and it was just simply rough timing. The generation had been dragged on for far too long and everyone saw both games as C-grade filler while awaiting the "true next gen sequels." I remember I bought Ascension simply for The Last of Us demo that was included.

Funny thing is Ive been listening to old Bombcasts recently and at the time of release, Gerstmann was really digging Judgment and his thoughts on it made it sound really cool. Then of course fast forward a couple years and he thinks its total shit. Like what the fuck? Another thing Ill never understand with some people. If I like a game, I like a game. Im not going to despise it five years down the line because reasons and all the cool kids are dumping on it.

I missed out on Judgment. It kinda sounds like the ODST of the series with the flashback missions from different perspectives. It also apparently has some serious tie ins to E Day? Will definitely be worth checking out down the line. And People Can Fly made this one. Ill try anything those guys make.
I just finished it for the first time. It's totally worth a playthrough. Each chapter is a different person, so it has a great pace to it where it kind of flies by. Combat feels polished as always. They introduce a neat element where you can take on additional combat modifiers for nearly ever fight in the game, almost like a Devil May Cry challenge stage or something. And yeah, you get some E-Day lore, Pendulum Wars lore. You get to see some brief elements of the COG culture of hubris and how they are a bit slow to adapt that's kind of cool. It's totally a side game, but a worthy addition.

And yeah, at the time (without playing it), it did feel like it was time for the series to maybe try reinventing itself a bit more. And that's what Gears 4 and God of War (2018) did.

The original three are brilliant games in my opinion and played a part in what made 360 great.

To me it’s Xbox’s best IP and whilst fatigue kicked in with 5 and id love a new IP from that studio , if they can capture the spirit of the originals and improve on all aspects of that, it will be some game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I just finished it for the first time. It's totally worth a playthrough. Each chapter is a different person, so it has a great pace to it where it kind of flies by. Combat feels polished as always. They introduce a neat element where you can take on additional combat modifiers for nearly ever fight in the game, almost like a Devil May Cry challenge stage or something. And yeah, you get some E-Day lore, Pendulum Wars lore. You get to see some brief elements of the COG culture of hubris and how they are a bit slow to adapt that's kind of cool. It's totally a side game, but a worthy addition.

And yeah, at the time (without playing it), it did feel like it was time for the series to maybe try reinventing itself a bit more. And that's what Gears 4 and God of War (2018) did.

Did you manage to get 40 of those score stars during the campaign? It unlocks this special episode after you finish that takes place right after GOW3 :messenger_open_mouth:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Did you manage to score 40 of those score stars during the campaign? It unlocks this special episode after you finish that takes place right after GOW3 :messenger_open_mouth:
Yeah, it's super easy. I did lots of the challenges and it boosts your stars a lot. Sometimes I felt like I wanted to just keep going, or I didn't want to do one with like pistol only so I skipped a few lol. Still had more than enough stars and got the bonus episode.

LordCBH

All the Gears games can be played at the minimum 60 FPS on Xbox now.

Speaking of, replaying Gears Ultimate right now while waiting for SMT: Vengeance to come out. I love how easy to pick and play these games always are.

Soon as I finish off what I’m currently playing I’m doing a series run (minus judgment). Still trying to decide between doing OG1 or Ultimate. Both have their reasons for being the one I pick lol

You're right, too bad this game is completely finished without any time to fix it. It releases this year, right?

Last edited:

Ristifer

Yeahhhh, this has inspired me to do a series run of my own. It's been too long, and I love these games. The sounds alone make it worthwhile. And I'm going to play Judgement as well, so to hell with you haters.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeahhhh, this has inspired me to do a series run of my own. It's been too long, and I love these games. The sounds alone make it worthwhile. And I'm going to play Judgement as well, so to hell with you haters.
Judgment can be enjoyable for sure, especially with friends.

All the Gears games can be played at the minimum 60 FPS on Xbox now.

Speaking of, replaying Gears Ultimate right now while waiting for SMT: Vengeance to come out. I love how easy to pick and play these games always are.

Did they update both Gears 1 and Gears Ultimate to 60fps ?
They both were 30fps last time I completed them for the Nth time 'bout 2 years ago...

Also, agree with the "pick up and play" thing, it's a breath of fresh air in today's 30+ hours RPG -ified shite

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did they update both Gears 1 and Gears Ultimate to 60fps ?
They both were 30fps last time I completed them for the Nth time 'bout 2 years ago...

Also, agree with the "pick up and play" thing, it's a breath of fresh air in today's 30+ hours RPG -ified shite

Correct. Both Gears 1 and Ultimate are 60 FPS. Neither got a resolution boost tho so it's either 720p/60 for OG Gears of 1080p/60 for Ultimate.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Shit, the whole Gears of War is a stolen pos. The main game mechanic was lifted from a 90s Japanese arcade shooter game. Well, the rest, the dialogues, the story is just plain laughing matter. Made by adults who stuck in childhood forever.

Ozriel

M$FT
Shit, the whole Gears of War is a stolen pos. The main game mechanic was lifted from a 90s Japanese arcade shooter game. Well, the rest, the dialogues, the story is just plain laughing matter. Made by adults who stuck in childhood forever.

Is it a game?
Is it fun?
Is it value for money?

Those are the only three questions that are needed for most people.
You’re free to download Unity or UE and make your own faithful adaptation of War and Peace.

The first time I played Gears on the 360 and was chainsawing locust drones, I certainly wasn’t debating if it was fine and sophisticated art.

Last edited:
Top Bottom