• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut for PC | Review Thread

simpatico

Gonna review bomb the game, but also port beg.
RwEHIkO.jpeg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Game looks absolutely stunning fully maxed out in ultrawide. Wow.

I've had a couple of oddities though. Sometimes there's a black banding effect (for lack of a better term) that shows up briefly on screen when a new area is loaded in, or at least it seems to correspond with that.

Also, I've had a couple trophies pop and had a bit of slowdown when that happened. However, I've had at least one pop that didn't do that at all.

I've definitely seen the banding. Doesn't last very long thankfully. Haven't notice the trophy slow down.

violence

Although I’m probably not gonna use kurosawa mode till playthrough “5” or something. It’s nice that I can actually play kurosawa mode at 30 FPS. 25 FPS would be better, but I get horrible screen tearing for some reason. It should really be default for that mode on PS5.

I’m debating whether to use a series controller to make this play through feel different. I would be foregoing all the dual sense features and this port even supports the darn speaker!

rofif

Banned
I mean, he says it was at 100 before FG. And this post is pretty fresh coming from someone who chose to play a framey 30fps Dragon's Dogma on PS5 when he could have gone for 60+ on PC. Lol. So judgey now.
Like. You had to stick the needle in there didn’t you? That’s so petty.
I will have no Problem playing at lower fps rather than artificially improving fps while in fact just increasing input delay. Frames are so important to pc gamers they will take worse experience just to have more fps.

And yes dd2 was fine on ps5. I am way beyond being so petty and caring if it’s 30 or 300 fps. I dont care for the most part. Yea. I could play dragons dogma 2 on pc with all the stuttering

DavidGzz

Like. You had to stick the needle in there didn’t you? That’s so petty.
I will have no Problem playing at lower fps rather than artificially improving fps while in fact just increasing input delay. Frames are so important to pc gamers they will take worse experience just to have more fps.

And yes dd2 was fine on ps5. I am way beyond being so petty and caring if it’s 30 or 300 fps. I dont care for the most part. Yea. I could play dragons dogma 2 on pc with all the stuttering

It's only under 60 fps in one town in the whole game on PC. Smooth as silk everywhere else. "Stuttering" lol, just showing more of that bias.

He said he was at 100+ without it so how is it increasing delay? You yourself said "unless you being with at least 70-100 fps." And if you're so affected by input delay, why did you go with the laggy 30 fps version of a game? It's just curious that some things are ok if they apply to your PS5, but features are shit when they apply to PC. Just calling out some BS.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did they say if there is any plan to bring cross save to the game?

Also, can you just play the dlc separately or is it on the main save of the game.

I 100% it on ps5 but looks like I might have to pick it up on that.

Zathalus

It's only under 60 fps in one town in the whole game on PC. Smooth as silk everywhere else. "Stuttering" lol, just showing more of that bias.

He said he was at 100+ without it so how is it increasing delay? You yourself said "unless you being with at least 70-100 fps." And if you're so affected by input delay, why did you go with the laggy 30 fps version of a game? It's just curious that some things are ok if they apply to your PS5, but features are shit when they apply to PC. Just calling out some BS.
The latency difference is overstated anyway, it is like 10ms.

rofif

Banned

Yes. The delay is still increased. It just isnt as drastic because you start with very low frame times.
The game might visually look 150 Fps and not 100. But feels like 80 to control.
Just bad examples but this is my experience and logical facts

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Been thinking of getting this on the PS4 Pro, how has it aged?

I mean it's essentially the best Ubisoft game ever made. Imagine if the main story was engaging and dramatic, if the side quests where interesting, if the side activities while repetitive where fairly unique and actually reward you.

And no BS microtransactions, you pay, you get the full game + legends (coop multiplayer.)

I would say it's aged very well, because while games in it's genre have been getting progressively worse, it was already the best in it's class, and still is.

If you have never played, pick it up, it was originally a title made for PS4 Pro, so it's not like your getting a lesser experience. Although the PS5 and PC versions naturally run smoother and look even better.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My first impressions are holy shit. I don’t think it’s honeymoon period, for me to say that not only is it visually gorgeous, but the combat is so much fun (and I’m just getting started).
Honestly this stands among God of War for me as the cream of the Sony crop. Looking forward to playing more this weekend, as well as seeing what mods show up.

Can icons and trackers on the map and radar be toggled off in anyway? It might sound small but that little change has a huge impact on how much I enjoy open world games.

Also, anyone with a 4070ti able to talk about performance?

I mean it's essentially the best Ubisoft game ever made. Imagine if the main story was engaging and dramatic, if the side quests where interesting, if the side activities while repetitive where fairly unique and actually reward you.

And no BS microtransactions, you pay, you get the full game + legends (coop multiplayer.)

I would say it's aged very well, because while games in it's genre have been getting progressively worse, it was already the best in it's class, and still is.

If you have never played, pick it up, it was originally a title made for PS4 Pro, so it's not like your getting a lesser experience. Although the PS5 and PC versions naturally run smoother and look even better.
Thank you, I'll get it next week then.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
The main storyline was stretched too thin in the original game. And they added another area, damn. How many of these DLCs they sell compared to the main game?

Little Mac

I got a ps5 late last year and GoT was one of the first games I bought. Can’t wait to start it but TBH I’ve been rather addicted to Helldivers 2 for the past 2 or 3 months. I see videos of Ghost of Tsushima on YouTube and it looks like an amazing experience.

ssringo

Played through Yuna and Ishikawa's first missions last night. Game looks and runs brilliantly maxed out on my $3000 PC. Shocking, I know.

Did have a couple issues though. During a couple scenes where the camera scrolled down I had a weird graphical glitch like the fog turned into a fuzzy line across the screen. It doesn't show up in screenshots though so I dunno. Not worth getting pissy about. The other issue was a huge problem though. Standoff was broken and straight up wouldn't work during the tutorial. As in Jin wouldn't go into stance for it at all. Did it a dozen times turning various settings on and off, dualsense, mouse and keyboard. Still wouldn't activate. It did eventually work once and worked every time afterwards but I worry it'll go back to being borked when I play again today.

Trilobit

I'm thinking of getting this game for my PS5. Does it have a good sense of adventure or is it more of a openworld hack'n'slash? The visuals remind me of Zelda, but I might be going in with wrong expectations.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm thinking of getting this game for my PS5. Does it have a good sense of adventure or is it more of a openworld hack'n'slash? The visuals remind me of Zelda, but I might be going in with wrong expectations.

I think the sense of adventure is fantastic. There's a lot more than just combat. Lots of exploration, some climbing/platforming, and non-combat side tasks. And I personally think the Assassin's Creed comparisons are pretty shallow. Yes, they're both open world games that have sword/bow combat, horse riding, and checklists, but Ghost of Tsushima is MUCH more artistically impressive, more meditative and deliberate with it's pacing, and has a completely different tone than than AC franchise.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Here’s something weird. I played this game on ps5 up til the 2nd island and dropped it when it became clear they would port everything to PC and decided to just wait. So I sign into PSN when I started this, and there was a save! I loaded the save thinking it might be my ps5 save but it just started a new game. But I have the NG+ armor and it started popping trophies for a NG+ playthrough.

Maybe cross save is coming?

GametimeUK

I played it for a while on PS5, but dropped it. Picked it up for PC and now I'm enjoying it. Either I'm a PC fanboy or this game just didn't click with me last time.

Good port and I can see why its a fan favourite.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So it crashes for many folks after the launcher and people are accusing them of having too old of a CPU without AVX2 or whatever instructions but then the game magically works if you just delete the PCPS_SDK folder from C:\ProgramData\Sony or whatever and that also worked for me and it runs fine on medium settings (maybe High too with 30fps, not sure) 1440p FSR3 @ Quality (without frame gen obviously on my GTX1080) on my 3770K after doing that. Shame they never patched Relink for non AVX cpus like Sony did some other port, I wanted to check it out and it'd probably run fine...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

performance-2560-1440.png

Damn, my 7900XT beat both models of the 4070ti. I could beat the 4080 with a little overclock.

And people scoff at AMD.

Game performs really well on my 3080 with a mix of high and ultra settings. Some settings look exactly the same so I turned them down. Hitting around 100fps with DLSS and it looks incredible

Also looks and plays amazing on Steam Deck OLED. Use the medium preset with 8x AF and use XESS instead of FSR3. For some reason FSR just looks like shit to me, much prefer using XESS on Ultra Quality. No drops from 30 in the busy camp I played in qnd using around 90% of the GPU.

Fredrik

performance-2560-1440.png
Too close! 😰
Built a new PC just 2 months ago with a 4080 Super
60.4 fps minimum

ou00T04.png

Puscifer

Bragging about frames with fg is like measuring your dick from your ass.
Is just lag unless you being with at least 70-100 fps
Dude I don't get it. You seemingly hate all the benefits of playing on PC yet you still own one while dunking on it. I hate playing on switch, so I sold my switch, but I'm not going to keep it just to bitch that I spent the same money for a lesser experience.

Top Bottom