• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Eiknarf

HOhIRln.jpg

fermcr

Hum... EDGE gave Ghost of Tsushima a 6 out of 10.

Is it a overhyped exclusive?

SkylineRKR

Not surprised, thats how Edge usually rolls. They generally appreciate stuff like Dreams etc.

Funny how some guy on twitter pointed out the japanese main menu is wrong but all japanese sites said they have no problem with that lol.

This is how it works today. Others decide whats right or wrong for others while the actual subjects have no issues.

Last edited:

Peroroncino

3 of my most trusted reviewers recommend it, so I don't think so. Can't say for sure until I play, but what I saw, I loved.

THEAP99

Banned
‪Edge dropped that shit down. They have so much weight. My prediction was right. ‬

Edge: 6/10

Its story is excessively maudlin and self-serious to the point of pomposity - it's no exaggeration to say Naughty Dog gave us more laughs. And as pretty as the scenery is, we'd rather it didn't obstruct us so often when we're fighting; with a tight camera and no way of locking onto individual opponents, you sometimes end up cornered without realising, or struck by enemies you can't see. Combat should be an entertaining, empowering dance, and though it sometimes hits those heights, too often it can't resist throwing too many enemies into the mix. It's supposed to get messy, but not like this...When the world isn't getting in your way, however, it is Ghost of Tsushima's saving grace.“

THEAP99

Banned
Anyway I can read that full review? Edge is pretty well respected it seems and I’m interesting how the issues the game had fully warranted a 6. That’s pretty damn harsh

acm2000

This game always looked like a 7/10 to be fair, some nice graphic effects but the game itself never looked anything that special

Ar¢tos

Edge: 6/10

Its story is excessively maudlin and self-serious to the point of pomposity - it's no exaggeration to say Naughty Dog gave us more laughs. And as pretty as the scenery is, we'd rather it didn't obstruct us so often when we're fighting; with a tight camera and no way of locking onto individual opponents, you sometimes end up cornered without realising, or struck by enemies you can't see. Combat should be an entertaining, empowering dance, and though it sometimes hits those heights, too often it can't resist throwing too many enemies into the mix. It's supposed to get messy, but not like this...When the world isn't getting in your way, however, it is Ghost of Tsushima's saving grace.“
I wonder if they managed to finish the game this time...

bender

What time is it?
I think John probably said it best in DF's recent video. It's all going to come down to how fatigued (or not) you are with modern open world designed games. I'm in his camp of being burnt out by them but I'm hoping the setting and stealth aspects carry me through.

Last edited:

GymWolf

more like edge being edgy once again.

well at least with their 6, my prediction of 83 on mc is pitch perfect now :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Entroyp

I myself was getting fatigued by open world games. Luckily my last three games were two JRPGs and a platformer (spyro) so I’m ready to go again.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I think John probably said it best in DF's recent video. It's all going to come down to how fatigued (or not) you are with modern open world designed games. I'm in his camp of being burnt out by them but I'm hoping the setting and stealth aspects carry me through.

Felt like this before I hit into Horizon and before I played Days Gone but both pleasantly surprised me. If done well tht fatigue goes out the window for me. I'm a big combat person so once tht clicks I'm usually good regardless of open world or linear but I do see how tht fatigue can set in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That's Edge, how do gamer's not know this? Or are you trolling?

Not on OpenCritic.

Yep, "weighted scores" are disingenuous trash.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Felt like this before I hit into Horizon and before I played Days Gone but both pleasantly surprised me. If done well tht fatigue goes out the window for me. I'm a big combat person so once tht clicks I'm usually good regardless of open world or linear but I do see how tht fatigue can set in.

I'm a sucker (pun intended) for stealth in games (even when not great).

Days Gone overstayed it's welcome with me, but I really disliked the cast and story. Horizon's combat did nothing for me so I feel off once the map was littered with Ubisoft styled points of interest.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Same here, Exploration and stealth are both things I am greatly looking forward to doing in this game.......

..............Exploring this world will be magnificent I am sure, the wide plains of nature and staggering mountainsides/monuments deserve to be explored.

Curious, as I really have avoided a lot of spoilers and details, but when exploring what are you finding? Loot? New areas? Is there a map and would these areas be marked on the map or found organically?

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm a sucker (pun intended) for stealth in games (even when not great).

Days Gone overstayed it's welcome with me, but I really disliked the cast and story. Horizon's combat did nothing for me so I feel off once the map was littered with Ubisoft styled points of interest.

It's amazing how ppl experience different things in games and the variation of opinion lol really interesting. Ppl love RDR2 and Witcher 3 and I was bored of both, like to point I couldnt play more than a day. Botw was tops a 7 game but others loved it. I don't knock their views though I know ppl luv games or hate them for diff reasons. Thought Horizon bow combat was sublime and taking over machines and the weight of the character felt great and smooth I cared less about the human npc combat tht robot combat was great!!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Death Stranding got a similar score last year and was my GOTY.....

Now it's on PC and has an 86 meta, just goes to show that reviewers are more harsh on PlayStation releases. For whatever reason, whether it is to get clicks from the large audience or to throw around their weight and try and show how much they matter.

Edge was always full of contrarians and hipsters, the game deserves no less than a 7.... anyone with eyes can see that. Edge didn't even want to finish Death Stranding.... Sony should just stop sending them games... really!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's amazing how ppl experience different things in games and the variation of opinion lol really interesting. Ppl love RDR2 and Witcher 3 and I was bored of both, like to point I coud play more than a day. Botw was tops a 7 game but others loved it. I don't knock their views though I know ppl luv games or hate them for diff reasons. Thought Horizon bow combat was sublime and taking over machines and the weight of the character felt great and smooth I cared less about the human npc combat tht robot combat was great!!

I railed on Witcher 3 combat at release, its as forgettable as any Assassin's Creed combat system . I fell off of RDR pretty quickly too, it's just way too clunky. BOTW is sublime, it felt like a hand crafted world that want to be explored, had interesting traversal mechanics and a weather and physics sandbox. Horizon's bow just never felt great to me (it lacked tension and had no punch on impact) and that's primarily why I gave up. And I love bows in games.

I'm picky with open world games and far too many of them have filtered down the same design paths.

SkylineRKR

Edge does hand out high scores to Sony games, if they're Dreams and LittleBigPlanet. And Bloodborne. They do like the Souls games and its something I agree upon with them. For the rest I disagree with Edge a lot.

They either like MM, they like British studios or they simply don't like the typical Sony style single player adventure games. Horizon and God of War scored well below the average by Edge as well.

EDIT: Horizon was a 9. Then its quite an outlier. They were notorious for underscoring PS exclusives, especially during the PS3 era. And Halo usually got a straight 10. Used to piss Sony fans off. But are they always wrong? no. I didn't like GT5, QD games and Shadow Fall to name a few as well. I did disagree with their Killzone 2 and Infamous scores though.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Ive never disagreed more with a review site more than edge. They are all over the place with their inconsistency.

Loved LBP and TLOU2. Hated everything else. They bounce around with xbox also.

If I was Sony Id send them an empty box. If they want to review something make them buy their own copy to do it.

Bryank75

Banned
Ive never disagreed more with a review site more than edge. They are all over the place with their inconsistency.

Loved LBP and TLOU2. Hated everything else. They bounce around with xbox also.

If I was Sony Id send them an empty box. If they want to review something make them buy their own copy to do it.
100%

Friends you really need to stop looking at review scores purely for validation, the aggressive insecurity that follows every review that gives it the "wrong" score is evident.
Exactly. There is no wrong score. Reviewers don't exist to cheerlead hyped games. They're not obliged to tow the line and follow consensus. Nor keep the metascore number up so you can sleep at night. Entitled to their opinion. At the end of the day it's an arbitrary non scientifically calculated number that won't make the game more or less fun when you experience it yourself. This isn't grade school.

What matters more is what's being said in the review, if they put thought into it and bring up valuable points for readers to think about.

About to platinum one of the best open world games I ever played and def more dynamic than most of them and was lushly populated, tons of npcs, dynamic weather and fun asf.
Sounds like everyhing I want! Are you talking about Days Gone or Ghost? I'd love to be in on that.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Exactly. There is no wrong score. Reviewers don't exist to cheerlead hyped games. They're not obliged to tow the line and follow consensus. Nor keep the metascore number up so you can sleep at night. Entitled to their opinion. At the end of the day it's an arbitrary non scientifically calculated number that won't make the game more or less fun when you experience it yourself. This isn't grade school.

What matters more is what's being said in the review, if they put thought into it and bring up valuable points for readers to think about.

Sounds like everyhing I want! Are you talking about Days Gone or Ghost? I'd love to be in on that.

I was talking about Days Gone.

Top Bottom