• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

People giving a shit about Edge L O L.

The Brits are the most miserable and obnoxious cunts on this planet, say what you want about how ignorant the Americans are but in my experience they are nice and helpful even when you mess up their language and are more humble and down to earth.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That was a big tragedy that this game got low reviews, most of it it has to do with the game being to difficulty for most reviewers.

Imagine how that game would fare right now. With its gay tag duo and all.

I love the game but my first impression was that its a piece of shit. It had rather bad graphics, weird camers and plays unconventional. Its a lot of fun once you know what you're doing however, and hard as balls.

JeloSWE

Just started playing. Camera speed if fucking horrible even on fastest, turning around is a pain in the ass and there is no reset to view L3. Also no option to control amount of motion blur. Sigh!

Last edited:
People giving a shit about Edge L O L.

The Brits are the most miserable and obnoxious cunts on this planet, say what you want about how ignorant the Americans are but in my experience they are nice and helpful even when you mess up their language and are more humble and down to earth.

They did give us The Beatles and Radiohead though.

thelastword

Banned
Still 85 on Opencritic.... it is Gamespot and Edge with their ridiculous weighting that change the score for Meta.
Yes, weight makes no sense anymore, an opinion is an opinion. Just make sure that all reviewers meet a certain standard, are not exceptionally biased, like the review outlet which use to give every big Sony game a 3-4/10....

In any case, just preloaded, this must have been the fastest I've ever seen a game download......Anyways I'm ready, just waiting for the unlock...

molasar

Banned
The Brits are the most miserable and obnoxious cunts on this planet

0931f9070d4b1c4fee417456bd23c8d4.gif

THEAP99

Banned
At this point I feel any AAA game from a Sony studio will sell well so long it fairs well in reviews (70 at minimum) and isn’t really that unconventional of a game (death stranding). Ghost of Tsushima is pretty much your average open world game, same with days gone. Wouldn’t expect those type of games to flop anymore. Especially with how strong “playstation exclusive” tag line is. Y’all may not believe it but the term “PlayStation exclusive” really does wave a lot of eyebrows from the casual crowd. Spider-Man PS4 really set the stage for the normie crowd being interested in PlayStation games.

Shmunter

PS5 will be real similar to PS4 for like 2-3 years.

If you want to play it and money isn't a concern then play it.
I’m convinced there will be a 60fps mode on PS5 day 1 for this, so it’s tricky. An action combat game like this at 60 really takes on a new level of greatness.

PanzerAzel

I'm sure I read/heard that there wasn't a new game+ mode.

I can't remember exactly where I read/heard this because I've read and watched a lot of content but I remember thinking it was really strange that it didn't have this.
That’s a bit disappointing to hear. Hopefully SP will include it in a patch or DLC. 🙏

Amiga

Still 85 on Opencritic.... it is Gamespot and Edge with their ridiculous weighting that change the score for Meta.
80+ is great, it's better informative of a great game with possible issues the player should be aware of. the player should then check if these things matter to him.

Some games get special positive treatment from the media, doesn't mean we wan't them to lie to us all the time.

Happy that my PS exclusives list is complete.

Have all of Sony's major exclusives on my PS4 Pro. Very happy chappy here and great way to end off the generation with this awesome looking game. Can't wait to get home and play. Stuck at work now

Bryank75

Banned
80+ is great, it's better informative of a great game with possible issues the player should be aware of. the player should then check if these things matter to him.

Some games get special positive treatment from the media, doesn't mean we wan't them to lie to us all the time.
I absolutely agree, the rating system now is very hard to trust and you have to be aware of so much that is at play beyond gaming...mostly political and social issues that really shouldn't come into play.

Raven117

Some of the few times I think reviewers got it wrong was with Days Gone, The Order 1886 and Ryse
Didn’t play the other two, but yeah, they totally wiffed on Days Gone. While it had some issues, the strength of its writing (specifically the characters and how they dealt with pain and loss, was really good. It felt natural (unlike TLOU2 where every second is some drama)

PanzerAzel

I’m so fucking hyped for this, even more than TLoU II which I didn’t think was possible.

Usually my enjoyment of a game is predicated on its mechanics, and while this will be as well, I don’t think a game’s theme has played so much into my hype as it has here. A competently executed open-world Samurai game has been far too long in coming. All I’ve seen of this looks to be crafted by those who love the source material and it is these games, that, despite their flaws, end up being the best gaming experiences out there because of that love being poured into it. Like the Arkham games before it, if the sum of its parts is able to transcend its shortcomings to convey the feeling of living a Samurai’s life....that’s all that matters. And as Skillup said,GoT really makes you feel like a Samurai. We’ll see, but everything I’ve seen looks to be a love letter to the source, and that’s what hypes me the most.

Two and a half more hours!

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Just started playing. Camera speed if fucking horrible even on fastest, turning around is a pain in the ass and there is no reset to view L3. Also no option to control amount of motion blur. Sigh!
The camera has been ripped by almost every reviewer. It's a shame because it shits on what could be a great experience. Most of the problems are fighting inside places or tight spaces.

Played 3 hours, opening mission and the first two character missions (assassination and half bow) and I enjoyed my time with it. I'm not playing on hard(yet), normal seems challenging enough when you still learn and I already had a few close moments. It's a lot harder than the free flow combat from Arkham. You can thankfully change difficulty whenever.
If you've bought the deluxe editions, don't use the armor. While it looks badass, it makes combat easier than it should be because it increases stats.

They could've really bothered with proper animations when you walk up or down a hill and stairs. It's pretty much the only gripe I have with the presentation, the rest is excellent (okay lip-sync with Japanese VO sucks, but it is what it is). The cloth physics are especially great (black Kimono in that flash back looked fantastic). If this gets a PS5 patch, I really hope they can push that LOD even further. This is the new standard for OW games and I can't even imagine what this would look like on next gen.

The half bow feels amazing to use. I don't know what it is, might be the sound and how snappy it feels, I just know that using it feels great. It's also nice that you can actually shoot through small openings. Something that sometimes doesn't work in other games.

I also have no issues with the stealth so far, yes it's simple, but I'm also not someone who exploits the shit out of broken AI. It's a bit too early to judge this properly, though.

3D Sound on Headphones is great.

I won't be playing in resolution mode, though, my Pro (7116b) turns into a jet engine. lol. Performance mode is acceptable, only some menus, cutscenes and photo mode increase noise, but not too bad.

Played 3 hours, opening mission and the first two character missions (assassination and half bow) and I enjoyed my time with it. I'm not playing on hard(yet), normal seems challenging enough when you still learn and I already had a few close moments. It's a lot harder than the free flow combat from Arkham. You can thankfully change difficulty whenever.
If you've bought the deluxe editions, don't use the armor. While it looks badass, it makes combat easier than it should be because it increases stats.

They could've really bothered with proper animations when you walk up or down a hill and stairs. It's pretty much the only gripe I have with the presentation, the rest is excellent (okay lip-sync with Japanese VO sucks, but it is what it is). The cloth physics are especially great (black Kimono in that flash back looked fantastic). If this gets a PS5 patch, I really hope they can push that LOD even further. This is the new standard for OW games and I can't even imagine what this would look like on next gen.

The half bow feels amazing to use. I don't know what it is, might be the sound and how snappy it feels, I just know that using it feels great. It's also nice that you can actually shoot through small openings. Something that sometimes doesn't work in other games.

I also have no issues with the stealth so far, yes it's simple, but I'm also not someone who exploits the shit out of broken AI. It's a bit too early to judge this properly, though.

3D Sound on Headphones is great.

I won't be playing in resolution mode, though, my Pro (7116b) turns into a jet engine. lol. Performance mode is acceptable, only some menus, cutscenes and photo mode increase noise, but not too bad.
Stop stop you’re hurting me. Gahhhdddd
Is anyone making a photo thread for this beauty?

Top Bottom