• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol Expendable
CnBY6GBUkAARRHI.jpg:large
I'm dying.

Goodstyle

It's basically an okay film? Kinda disappointing tbh, I was hoping for an apocalypse, what we got instead was a "meh" that solved nothing. People on either end will not be wholly satisfied.

cr0w

Old Member
Sounds like it'll be a fun, if quickly forgettable two hours at the theater, which is about what I've been expecting. It won't have the legs the originals did, but if we're being honest, nothing would. I expect it to be a moderate success on the strength of the cast alone. McKinnon and Wiig are incredibly funny.

Theecliff

Banned
so it turns out the film is a middling comedy that in no way deserved the enormous amount of vitriol that got sent its way. why am i not surprised?

B33

Banned
Either way Bill Murray didnt want to be part of the movie.

While everyone was laughing after showing a clip on Jimmy Kimmel he looked like he wanted to be dead.
To be fair he didn't want to be part of the third movie and that's why it didn't happen.

He doesn't like Ghostbusters 2.

I cleaned up the OP a bit.

Seems like it'll be an average film that Sony can build on if the box office is right. I'm still waiting on reviews from my favorites: Jeremy Jahns, Chris Stuckmann, and Double Toasted.

Hey man I come from gaming side so I'm basing my perspective from that side

Well shut the fuck up and go away, you sexist pig!

(Just kidding. I think most gaming sites give scores but a lot of sites just write a review for a movie without giving it a score and then RT has to try and guess whether or not the score would be fresh or rotten. Those are the 'no score' reviews.)

We're at 70%! Nothing but up from here!

I dont understand why this movie is being taken so serious.

There were literal hordes of neckbeards slavering at the though of this having a rotten score.

The fact that it will likely aggregate at minimum twice the RT score of BvS is gonna send some of them over.

Jazzem

Man, this movie's going to be remembered far more for its online reaction than the actual thing itself isn't it?

It's alot like game reviews. I no longer look to reviews or metacritic type data to make my purchases. There is enough information out there now between trailers, lets plays and such to make an educated decision to jump in without having to wade through the cynicism, agendas and people hung up on technical aspects that i frankly just don't give a shit about. Movies especially are even easier, I don't need to spend 12 hours of my life scouring reviews, going over trailers after trailers, watching youtube videos after youtube videos to drop $8 on a movie ticket and spend 2 hours just watching the damn movie. People make it so much harder than it needs to be.

thats how I feel

The only time I really look at reviews is when I look at a product I'm buying. For games and movies I can make my own decision watching some trailers and/or lets plays.

Arnie7

Banned
This film will have its share of critics and fans alike overpraising it and under praising it. Many agendas at stake that has nothing to do with film.

It's alot like game reviews. I no longer look to reviews or metacritic type data to make my purchases. There is enough information out there now between trailers, lets plays and such to make an educated decision to jump in without having to wade through the cynicism, agendas and people hung up on technical aspects that i frankly just don't give a shit about. Movies especially are even easier, I don't need to spend 12 hours of my life scouring reviews, going over trailers after trailers, watching youtube videos after youtube videos to drop $8 on a movie ticket and spend 2 hours just watching the damn movie. People make it so much harder than it needs to be.
Not at all? I think a few of us bought Undertale just because it popped up at the top of Metacritic out of nowhere for example, and recently I think the Star Ocean reviews turned off a lot of people. I wouldn't consider not buying Dark Souls III if it got lower reviews than the objectively terrible Dark Souls II, but I think reviews can play a part.

It's a sequel/reboot to a very highly regarded franchise. Not to mention they're trying to create an expanded universe or whatever out of this nonsense. Yes, Fiege needed to nail this.

Considering Jurassic World got a 72% on RT, if this rolls in at above a 65% then I think it can be safely considered a success (and it turns at least $500 million overall box office).

It would have been nice though. If all franchise revivals were Mad Max level (or even Creed) then the idea of these reboots wouldnt be so unappetizing.

Yeah sure but those are lightning in bottles. I'm fine with a decent fun movie

It's a sequel/reboot to a very highly regarded franchise. Not to mention they're trying to create an expanded universe or whatever out of this nonsense. Yes, Fiege needed to nail this.

A very highly regarded single movie.

The franchise as a whole only has one truly great entry.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean they had an embargo up until now. Usually that isn't a good sign.
And with the ton of no scores it seems like they are going easy on it. It's all adding up to be a pretty bad movie.

An embargo up the weekend before release is usually a bad sign?

The No Scores are also from sites that don't give out scores in general.

Volimar

I really liked two.

Peter Venkman: Doh!

Ray: Re!

Egon: Egon!

Peter Venkman: You know, I have met some dumb blondes in my life, but you take the taco, pal! Only a *Carpathian* would come back to life now and choose New York! Tasty pick, bonehead! If you had brain one in that huge melon on top of your neck, you would be living the sweet life out in Southern California's beautiful San Fernando Valley!

Janosz: Soon, the city will be mine and Vigo's... mainly Vigo's.

It would have been nice though. If all franchise revivals were Mad Max level (or even Creed) then the idea of these reboots wouldnt be so unappetizing.

If that were the case let's just fucking reboot everything ASAP
Street Fighter reboot
Harry Potter reboot
Parks and Rec reboot

Ghosts are totally fine, its ghost nuts where I draw the line.
The annihilation of the male organ on film is a highly gendered political act and even in a 'comedy' which tries to diminish its role in perpetuating the pendulum swing against men in media. Compare this film's defense/minimization by defenders to sucker punch's harsh critical attacks for empowering women via a traditionalist lens and the bias becomes more clear.

Jarmel

Banned
Considering Jurassic World got a 72% on RT, if this rolls in at above a 65% then I think it can be safely considered a success (and it turns at least $500 million overall box office).

Amazing Spider-Man has a RT score of 73. I doubt anyone views that as a success.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wish ASM got this much vitriol.
It sure did from me! Sony can't make good pictures by themselves. They're a mess.
Do tell, which outlets?
Lots of no scores, plenty of "even thoughs" and "while it isn't"s, alongside a splattering of this sorta thing:
IGN said:
While there is plenty to enjoy about Paul Feig's new comedy, it's not going to be enough to stick it to the haters who spewed vitriol against the all-lady Ghostbusters on premise alone.
Yknow, it stands to reason as MRA nuts and the like deserve a pelting, but then on the same side the ugliness of what happened with Rolfe just dragged all of this down into the gutter.

Not at all? I think a few of us bought Undertale just because it popped up at the top of Metacritic out of nowhere for example, and recently I think the Star Ocean reviews turned off a lot of people. I wouldn't consider not buying Dark Souls III if it got lower reviews than the objectively terrible Dark Souls II, but I think reviews can play a part.

SANS HERE

AND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME IF YOU DON'T BUY UNDERTALE ;) BUT I'M TOO LAZY JUST LIKE SANS AND THAT'S WHY I IDENTIFY AS A SANS.

~~~

I actively avoided Undertale because of all the praise it got. I watched the Game Grumps play it, and came to the conclusion that it was indeed overhyped.

With movies like Ghostbusters...I'll probably watch the new one because of Chris Hemsworth. Maybe. When it's on Netflix.

...However Zootopia is a movie I want to see because of the hype it got. But....I kinda don't want to see it at the same time because I fear it won't live up to that hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom