• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GhostRunner PS5/XSX/XSS DF Performance Analysis

Md Ray

It seems like XSX GPU is getting saturated at RT and 120fps modes hence those frame rate drops, but it's locked 60fps in non-RT 60fps mode just like PS5. I'd say this is one of those games that favor the fast and narrow (deep) architecture of PS5.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

do you mind GIF by DJ Khaled

Hoping mods implement DJ Khaled gifs/pics/references related bans here in the future.

Interesting results for sure, in the interim, they could get aggressive with DRS with minimal to no reduction in image quality to hit those 60FPS performance targets in RT mode.

Md Ray

There has been many. Just Google and pick one. Reddit is full of people complaining their 2080ti is getting 80fps with nothing going on while in busier sections it's 200+
Must be their PCs.

Alex covered the PC version a while ago using RTX 2080 Ti, 2060, RX 6800 XT and reported no such issues except for stutters which he suspects were due to shader compilation which frequently occurs in DX12 titles. I also tried the game myself on Steam and it was pretty good at utilizing the 3070 to its maximum judging by Nsight and its power consumption.

Timestamped:

Last edited:

iHaunter

This entire video is utter garbage. You should be embarrassed for having linked it.

I haven't watched the video yet but judging by what I'm reading here I looks like a small studio developing for several different platforms, which never helps achieve optimal results on all of them.

Did XBOX get a straight port from the PC? If that is the case it didn't turn out well. The game suffers from obvious issues, it could use some extra work. Hopefully it will be fixed in future patches, but for now it seems like a clear win for PS5. When used well Series X gives excellent results, but maybe it's harder to get all the juice from it than it is from PS5. Maybe due to the tools or just due to the fact that feeding more CUs with useful work is much harder as Cerny once claimed. Or both. 🤷‍♂️ The only thing we know for sure is that Series X isn't performing as expected in this case.
Certain studios, especially small ones, are going to put more time in to one platform over another. Seems pretty obvious, I doubt these framerates are going to stay that bad for long.

I wonder if their analysis includes yesterday's update to the game too? I can't see any mention of that on YouTube but I could have missed it.
Yesterday's download was for the new DLC but they did also fix some things although it may not have actually affected performance on any system or that 120fps activation bug on the PS5 version that they mention.
I have the PS4/PS5 versions of the game and I do get the feeling that the developer has just been a little stretched getting the console as it's been quite an "untidy" game since it first released and it still didn't quite feel polished when the current generation console versions arrived.
Hopefully they'll be able to give it a bit of a polish on all formats though, well, the newer formats at least.

Must be their PCs.

Alex covered the PC version a while ago using RTX 2080 Ti, 2060, RX 6800 XT and reported no such issues except for stutters which he suspects were due to shader compilation which frequently occurs in DX12 titles. I also tried the game myself on Steam and it was pretty good at utilizing the 3070 to its maximum judging by Nsight and its power consumption.

Timestamped:

I got it free on gog and I'll see. Still judging from the performance my money is still on poor optimization. Hopefully a patch fixes it up.

onQ123

Doesn't seem to be doing anything special for those framerate drops.

Strangely, it's not that unique. 12Tflop RDNA2 gets outshined by 9.2Tflop RDNA1.459 several times.
Funny thing is that the older RBE setup of the PS5 actually give it a advantage in ROPs

Yeah, probably. Think the PS5 must be brute forcing it due to the increased rasterization speed.
The PS5 also had additional effort invested because a port there is not just a click of a button like on Xbox. We had several games in the past where the extreme ease of porting meant that Xbox got an unoptimized Windows version of a game (see stuttering in Control for example which happens the exact same way on PC and Xbox, but not PS5). This is solely on the devs and has nothing to with the power of Xbox.

93xfan

Banned
Mod edit: I don't know how clear we have to be. Stick to the topic and findings. Any attempts to bait the 'opposing side' is going to earn bans.

So why isn't XSX performing well this time? Tools? Poor optimisation due to over reliance on VRR? A bug? Bad devs? I look forward to hearing your theories.

“Series X runs much better in 120 fps mode, but can dip to mid 90s but VRR saves the day.”

Were you so anxious to troll that you decided not to read the whole thing?

Edit: looks like the notes didn’t give the full context. My mistake.

Still not happy about the trolling and antagonist comment, but I do admit my mistake. Didn’t watch the video

Last edited:

Arioco

“Series X runs much better in 120 fps mode, but can dip to mid 90s but VRR saves the day.”

Were you so anxious to troll that you decided not to read the whole thing?

I'm afraid you haven't watched the video. Series X runs much better in 120 fps THAN IT DOES IN THE OTHER MODES. It doesn't run better than PS5, which is basically locked 60 fps, it that's what you understood.

The PS5 also had additional effort invested because a port there is not just a click of a button like on Xbox. We had several games in the past where the extreme ease of porting meant that Xbox got an unoptimized Windows version of a game (see stuttering in Control for example which happens the exact same way on PC and Xbox, but not PS5). This is solely on the devs and has nothing to with the power of Xbox.
Agree with you as usual. You can see the additional PS5 effort with the time taken on the Dual Sense implementation. I think lots of devs are looking at the install bases and determining that there is a better ROI if more time is taken with PS5 versions of some games. I highly doubt this title is just too demanding for an Xbox to play properly.

Mr Moose

Agree with you as usual. You can see the additional PS5 effort with the time taken on the Dual Sense implementation. I think lots of devs are looking at the install bases and determining that there is a better ROI if more time is taken with PS5 versions of some games. I highly doubt this title is just too demanding for an Xbox to play properly.
Why does the PS4 version run like shit then? That has the largest install base.
I'm not saying it can't/won't be patched but if we're going by install base, then the PS4 version needs "fixing" first, it even uses DRS and runs like that.

Last edited:

Vagos48

Perhaps , PS5 has targeted unreal engine better. Its not a secret that Sony urges shift to unreal engine for all its studios. The epic shares acquisition points to the same direction.

sendit

I haven't watched the video yet but judging by what I'm reading here I looks like a small studio developing for several different platforms, which never helps achieve optimal results on all of them.

Did XBOX get a straight port from the PC? If that is the case it didn't turn out well. The game suffers from obvious issues, it could use some extra work. Hopefully it will be fixed in future patches, but for now it seems like a clear win for PS5. When used well Series X gives excellent results, but maybe it's harder to get all the juice from it than it is from PS5. Maybe due to the tools or just due to the fact that feeding more CUs with useful work is much harder as Cerny once claimed. Or both. 🤷‍♂️ The only thing we know for sure is that Series X isn't performing as expected in this case.

Agreed. Its definitely the tools. Hopefully Microsoft can set the record straight with these crappy developers.

Great Hair

Banned
Back in the demo days, this "game" would have had just enough "material, fun" for a demo ... after playing it for days, the gimmick would quickly turn boring and ppl. would have skipped it, forgotten it ever existed.

Never found this "game" to be interesting. Why did they not opt for a gun instead?
Precise shots = better final score

Alex got booted by Oliver? What a twist.

Arioco

Why does the PS4 version run like shit then? That has the largest install base.
I'm not saying it can't/won't be patched but if we're going by install base, then the PS4 version needs "fixing" first, it even uses DRS and runs like that.

UE4 + 60 fps on PS4 is bound to run like shit. 😂

It should NOT run like shit on Series X though, the system has both the CPU and GPU grunt to run that fine.

Anyhow I've noticed that UE is one of those Engines than often favor PS5 for some reason I don't know. This is not the only UE4 game that runs better on Sony's machine. Crash It's About Time, for instance, performs better and sometimes at a higher rez on PS5 too.

On the other hand other engines like the RE Engine usually perform better on Series X (DMC V, RE Village...).

I guess it's true that some engines favor narrow and fast and some favor wide and slow design. But even taking that into account I still think Series X is underperforming in this game. It's just too large of a difference, way larger that what we saw in Crash.

Last edited:

Lysandros

UE4 + 60 fps on PS4 is bound to run like shit. 😂

It should NOT run like shit on Series X though, the system has both the CPU and GPU grunt to run that fine.

Anyhow I've noticed that UE is one of those Engines than often favor PS5 for some reason I don't know. This is not the only UE4 game that runs better on Sony's machine. Crash It's About Time, for instance, performs better and sometimes at a higher rez on PS5 too.

On the other hand other engines like the RE Engine usually perform better on Series X (DMC V, RE Village...).

I guess it's true that some engines favor narrow and fast and some favor wide and slow design. But even taking that into account I still think Series X is underperforming in this game. It's just too large of a difference, way larger that what we saw in Crash.
Interestingly this one is also an UE4 game, it has slightly higher average resolution with DRS on PS5. One of those 'very unique' cases for sure...

skneogaf

I would really like to see digital foundry comment on some of xbox series x releases as far too many have frame drops or other graphics issues that rely on vrr.

I've read the theory that the development kit is more powerful than the release console but sure xbox will have adjusted that by now if true.

I did/do expect the series x to be able to be at least on par with the ps5 versions of every multiplatform game.

The releases aren't bad obviously but I do think too many need tweaks.

A unique case where PS5 outperforms XSX. Is it optimization? or one of those games that favor a high clock speeds?

No console warring or chest beating please.
maybe they havent got around to taking all that full RDNA2ools Advantage many were chess beating about.

Del_X

It seems like XSX GPU is getting saturated at RT and 120fps modes hence those frame rate drops, but it's locked 60fps in non-RT 60fps mode just like PS5. I'd say this is one of those games that favor the fast and narrow (deep) architecture of PS5.

Control runs better on XSX without any patch since this was publicized. Some firmware update seems to have helped.

Regardless, the performance on series consoles is unacceptable for Ghotrunner. Would still play if on Game Pass.

Vognerful

Funny I only read about how Xbox Series X is performing better in all the new games in threads about games where PS5 perform better.
Might need to recheck again.

What you read before is that how most of the cases how XSX does not drop in resolution as low as PS5 in many cases (limited scenes, but you get the idea). Funny thing is we do have people who would jump and say that the game is either not optimized for PS5 or that it is running on BC (because it is cross generation game, ignoring that other cross generation games that run better on PS5).

Top Bottom