• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Don't insult people that are unhappy with being lied to and then act indignant when you're called out.

I'm not insulting people who are unhappy with being lied to. I'm insulting people who act like whiny bitches. There's a difference. People who type with all caps and exclamation marks about what they deserve and what's gonna happen when they don't get their way shouldn't be surprised when nobody wants to hear their noise.

Please take NMS discussion to the right place
Or PM me

Tagyhag

I'm not insulting people who are unhappy with being lied to. I'm insulting people who act like whiny bitches. There's a difference. People who type with all caps and exclamation marks about what they deserve and what's gonna happen when they don't get their way shouldn't be surprised when nobody wants to hear their noise.

Or PM me

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking everyone who was unhappy with what NMS ended up being.

Yeah I'm in total agreement with not giving those who are basically acting like morons and sending out death threats the time of day.

Lijik

Or PM me

Then why the fuck did you jump on Breezy the other night for merely mentioning he refunded the game as a springboard to ask for PSN recommendations. Dude wasnt being whiny at all

Scizzy

We should stop the circular debate over NMS and really reckon with the fact that JeffB and Vinny thought that 4 was 20% of 80.

Nerokis

I'm not anticonsumer, I'm anti whiny bitches.

I don't think most of the NMS discussion is being driven by whiny bitches, but I'm definitely not on the NMS/Sean Murray/Hello Games hate train, and I find how the discussion has developed unfortunate. The "Things That Didn't Make it to NMS" lists are a grossly poor way to understand or contextualize a situation like this one, and it feels like a whoooole lot of people have just started to take it for granted that this is the worst case scenario. I can imagine a world where Hello Games got in front of this, made it clear what is and isn't in their game, apologized for and explained any ambiguity, and the general consensus ending up being a little more positive. But because that didn't happen, the narrative went in the worst possible direction, and people have collectively agreed to ignore any possible nuances to that narrative.

One of the more blatant and egregious examples of dishonesty is the multiplayer. But even then, Sean Murray said again and again that this wasn't a multiplayer game, even if you had the very slightest chance to see someone else. And we don't know why it doesn't have multiplayer. Was there an intention to put it in? Was there a conflicted vision? If there was no intention, why in the world would Sean lie about this, while emphasizing again and again that you probably won't even see anyone...who was seriously going to buy NMS to have a multiplayer experience? I'm not saying Sean didn't lie in this instance, but that I'm not sure how malicious a lie it was.

I don't get why people are suddenly completely dismissive of the fact that Hello Games is a tiny studio. Charging $60 does raise expectations, but doesn't change the reality. Some have compared Street Fighter V to Overwatch, wondering why when they're so comparable in scope of content and price point, one is demonized and the other beloved. Well, Overwatch reflects the resources and endless care put into it, something Capcom would have never been able to replicate with SFV. Now, is it surprising that a little team putting together this massive galaxy exploration game didn't come up with the polished and expansive version of that? I could see NPCs being so much better, much more interesting implementation of space combat, and all that stuff. They tried, obviously. They delayed the game multiple times. And by same token, I can see how a small and relatively inexperienced studio would do a poor job maneuvering through the incredible attention and scrutiny suddenly thrust upon them, and not hitting that sweet spot in terms of hype and deliverability.

I also disagree with how people have stopped caring about the fact that a lot of the hype was very much a product of our own imaginations and discussions. Most of the issues with NMS don't really have to do with this or that feature that didn't make it into the game. In most cases, the absence of those features add to the disappointment around the edges, and not much more. NMS is basically in the ballpark of what I expected it to be, and the main problem with it is that it's a fairly mediocre procedurally generated world (galaxy), and the resource gathering feedback loop is poorly conceived. Problems that have more to do with the size of the team than whatever lies were told.

TL;DR: I've been holding back certain thoughts about the NMS situation as I've watched the hate erupt around the game and Hello Games, and thought I could pick a worse place to unload them (partly because almost no one here willcbother reading a random, way too long NMS post :p). I don't blame people for being disappointed, angry, or whatever else, but I also feel people have volunteered to sign on to the worst possible narrative of events, and it's a bit of a shame to see this ambitious little team crash and burn so badly in the court of public opinion.

Vice shows how not to treat freelancers
http://www.cjr.org/the_feature/vice_freelancers.php

Patrick's only been at Vice for a month and they're already going downhill /s

although it's weird to make this report when apparently steps are being taken to fix things already?

Vice is aware that its treatment of freelance journalists has become a problem. Company sources say Vice has started to take steps to repair its relationship with freelancers. In recent months, for instance, the company has restructured its accounts payable department, installed a new invoicing system, and hired a new payroll processing company to ensure more timely and efficient payments. Vice also has brought in new leaders in editorial who want to mend fences with freelance contributors.

Besides that, I don't think Austin would feel right publishing articles if the person didn't get paid.

FStop7

Banned

article said:
When the latest Palestinian uprising first erupted in October 2015, I pitched a story to Vice about the source of the tensions and their connection to the Temple Mount, the contested site in Jerusalem that is holy to both Jews and Muslims. An editor at Vice commissioned the story, we agreed upon a rate and word count, and I filed the story by my assigned deadline, which was the following day. The editor provided some vague feedback, and I sent a revision the next day. This is when the editor disappeared. After five days of unreturned phone calls and emails, she finally emerged, explaining that she had a family emergency. By then the story was no longer relevant, so she offered to pay me $75, the equivalent of 15 percent of our agreed-upon rate.

Unless I suck at math what I get from this is that VICE is risking their credibility with the people they desperately need over a payment as small as $500? That's... insane. 500 bucks vs. your reputation as a news organization? What the fuck.

That sounds like a company with no real cash flow.

My impression is still generally that those angriest/ridiculing NMS most are those that havent really played it.

Obviously I can't prove that but it felt very like that in the first week of release.

Those YouTube videos really poured petrol on everything to that crowd.

Mr. F

Banned

Not surprising, I don't know if it goes across the board but Vice media here in Toronto has a pretty mixed reputation for politics and low pay. As others have said (and the article itself), seems they're at least aware and trying to turn the ship around.

I'm hoping once the ball gets rolling in earnest that Austin's site/venture will be a relatively clean break from Vice proper despite being in the same family (not unlike how GB and GS are both CBSi, but I'm able completely ignore GS aside from seeing them in the footer).

pizzacat

Banned
I'm usually very into buying games that will probably end up being garbage fires but I wasn't too sure on this one, not a fan of space so idk.

I'll be there for FFXV tho

Tubobutts

We should stop the circular debate over NMS and really reckon with the fact that JeffB and Vinny thought that 4 was 20% of 80.
I'm happy that they were brave enough to question if four times five is actually twenty instead of just blindly accepting it without bothering to think about it and understand it.

But all those pretentious people with Math degrees act superior just because they happen to have some very specific knowledge that most people don't even need to know.

I wonder if they'll do a QL of WoW: Legion.

They could have Rorie go through a dungeon and show off a class hall, the artifact weapon and new trees or something.

#IWouldEngageWithThatContent

Your twitter syntax is off.

#IWouldBeContentToEngage

My impression is still generally that those angriest/ridiculing NMS most are those that havent really played it.

Obviously I can't prove that but it felt very like that in the first week of release.

Those YouTube videos really poured petrol on everything to that crowd.

Some are, some ain't.

If anything from my viewing of all these HYPESTORM GAMES kefluffles have shown, it's a broad mix of hypebeasts crashing and burning early on once cold hard reality set in, drive-by shitters, people with very high expectations of full MSRP, people who had different expectations than what they got, and people very very sensitive to being bullshitted.

Now here's the thing.

It's only the loudest fringes of these groups doing most of the noise. This becomes the "face" of this noise, giving off bad airs. To bring this back around to GB, this is where the dismissiveness of Jeff, Brad, and others when shit hits the fan about controversial gaming topics comes from over the years; they get a facefull of screeds and resignedly side with the side that has the least embarrassment despite fault (hence the Bombcast email and Jeff vs Jason on SF V). To get a clearer view on nuance, you'd have to dive face-first into that mess unless you were already in (and not a hypebeast or real appologist). Who wants to do that unless they had to? Ick.

As these HYPESTORM GAMES keep coming and the "for or against!" rhetoric of public opinion keeps becoming more common place, I don't blame them or anyone else for not wanting to wade into the sewer to find the truth. Thing is, the stances chosen end up as ammo in the on-going wars and...

bomma_man

Unless I suck at math what I get from this is that VICE is risking their credibility with the people they desperately need over a payment as small as $500? That's... insane. 500 bucks vs. your reputation as a news organization? What the fuck.

That sounds like a company with no real cash flow.

Tbh I don't think they have cash flow other than venture capital

tonka

Everybody's talking about their disappointment in a game I thought I might like but ultimately decided not to get, and I'm just sitting here quietly looking forward to a new expansion to a 3 year old strategy game...

I used to be "cool" once.

so, what were the best GOTY podcast years? For the life of me I can't remember listening to any before the tyre pyre of 2014, even though I followed the site on and off since the launch (and gamespot previous to that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom