• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of sad to say but I'm not even sure I'm going to bother renewing my premium subscription this year when it runs out. I still enjoy their content but I'm just not sure if its varied enough for me to keep paying.

EDIT: Nice downer to start a new page on! Here's a gif to make it better.

jeff35zjs1.gif

Zaph

Bless Rorie for WoW:Legion content. Right now I'm vicariously satiating the nagging from my old addition with the gaf OT and putting on streams in the background.

its a slow thread because myggen stopped posting :^)

I blame GBgaf Discord. Most of my mundane observations no go there.

Xater

Kind of sad to say but I'm not even sure I'm going to bother renewing my premium subscription this year when it runs out. I still enjoy their content but I'm just not sure if its varied enough for me to keep paying.

Mine runs out at the end of this month and I also wondering if I should renew. Lately I am not super happy with the premium content.

It makes me wonder why they're not doing a lot. It's obviously not going to be laziness or unwillingness.

When your job allows you to sit down and play any game of your choosing there's no shortage of ideas or possibilities either.

I know they're in a lot of "meetings" but even that can't take up the majority of the day. I still don't know why it's seemingly impossible to create 90-120 mins of premium content per day, especially with two offices... but then I've been wondering that since premium content was introduced so it's not going to change now...

jaina

I don't use the website often enough to notice I get the ad-free version (to mention another premium feature).
But a very big advantage of premium are the video download links! Simply the best and least annoying way to watch every video.

Probably just forgot, did they mention right after E3 what they did film? I assume it's footage of them walking from game presentation to demo station to presentation?

It makes me wonder why they're not doing a lot. It's obviously not going to be laziness or unwillingness.

When your job allows you to sit down and play any game of your choosing there's no shortage of ideas or possibilities either.

I know they're in a lot of "meetings" but even that can't take up the majority of the day. I still don't know why it's seemingly impossible to create 90-120 mins of premium content per day, especially with two offices... but then I've been wondering that since premium content was introduced so it's not going to change now...

I'll resub for the ad free podcast and UPF, having listened to these guys since 2004 it's the least I can do for the 1000's of hours of content they've given me. I think they could do with a more robust schedule of content outside of the podcast and UPF though. Throw in Game Tapes every other week or once a month, alternate it with Demo Derby, Encyclopedia Bombastica. With the depth of knowledge that Jeff and Brad have of the industry it's always fascinating to hear their stories about the industry from the time periods these features invoke. Basically I think they could lean on that side of their personalities a bit more to put together regular content. But hey, they've been doing it for years and prefer to not be so regimented and I can't hold it against them.

It seems that there is always a time in these threads where people talk about drought and are not sure about renewing anymore. I myself see it more as a support for the dudes who provided me with tons of entertainment and good times ever since them GS days.

However, I also know every one feels different about a certain thing and that's alright. To each their own.

GT was biggest thing especially when it first came out. There was nothing like it on consoles.

Yess, let us not forget the GOAT song opening of GT2.

phil fish in ex thing?
5LpRYG2.png

Give me more weed.

96TQ1ej.gif

Stupid thread facts:

• This thread is now 75 days old and it's getting a little smelly.
  • Last outlier like this was Thread 11 at 72 days. Not sure what happened there. It wasn't locked for GOTY 2014 that I can tell.
  • I was worried that we were heading into sub forty day threads, but I guess not.
  • As far as I can tell, thread times shortened greatly after Jason
    (and Dan, I guess)
    were hired.
  • We haven't had a thread longer than this Thread 7 closed in June 2014 at 102 days. Those old gaming threads went loooooong.
Anyway, I'm getting tired of this one and I'm posting the new thread in the morning. Let's say in eight hours and a few minutes from this post.

I always love me some statistics. Also, the new thread has to be Giant Bomb #24 | In The Beginning....

I find that people half-listen to the podcast, then quote one sentence out of context and trump up a bunch of incorrect bullshit about our points of view all the time. It's lame, but eventually you just kinda realize that it comes with the territory.

Pretty much.

Xater

It seems that there is always a time in these threads where people talk about drought and are not sure about renewing anymore. I myself see it more as a support for the dudes who provided me with tons of entertainment and good times ever since them GS days.

However, I also know every one feels different about a certain thing and that's alright. To each their own.

I have been a premium member ever since it's introduction. I don't even know how many years that has been now. Frustration over inconsistency just grew over time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, i see it as something that happens because of 2 things:

1) Austin leaving
2) Pax

There's always been a lull during pax season, and we always talk about there being a lull during pax

pizzacat

Banned
If only we could talk about other things without a fear of getting nuked. We just have to wait till a duder mentions it in a video or a podcast or something

Patryn

Can I honestly ask what the problem is with a slow thread?

Does it really make a difference if you post in this thread vs the next one?

Bowlie

Banned
Stupid thread facts:

• This thread is now 75 days old and it's getting a little smelly.
  • Last outlier like this was Thread 11 at 72 days. Not sure what happened there. It wasn't locked for GOTY 2014 that I can tell.
  • I was worried that we were heading into sub forty day threads, but I guess not.
  • As far as I can tell, thread times shortened greatly after Jason
    (and Dan, I guess)
    were hired.
  • We haven't had a thread longer than this Thread 7 closed in June 2014 at 102 days. Those old gaming threads went loooooong.

some people that used to post a lot here diverged to GBGAF Discord too (the link is in the OP)

I think the thread's slow mostly because of the Discord being the place for general bullshit these days. There's a lack of content, sure, but that doesn't mean there isn't shit to talk about.

I'll resub for the ad free podcast and UPF, having listened to these guys since 2004 it's the least I can do for the 1000's of hours of content they've given me. I think they could do with a more robust schedule of content outside of the podcast and UPF though. Throw in Game Tapes every other week or once a month, alternate it with Demo Derby, Encyclopedia Bombastica. With the depth of knowledge that Jeff and Brad have of the industry it's always fascinating to hear their stories about the industry from the time periods these features invoke. Basically I think they could lean on that side of their personalities a bit more to put together regular content. But hey, they've been doing it for years and prefer to not be so regimented and I can't hold it against them.

Vinny had a death in the family recently and I'm sure their hands are a bit more full than usual following Austin's departure, so I can't really be too hard on the East crew. Even so, Dan did a good job of keeping things exciting over there. The Olympic feature was a lot of fun, and the past few Beastcasts have been stellar.

As for the West, I'd say that their content output has gone about as I expected it would without Dan being there, which isn't good considering the possibility of him moving to the East Coast permanently. Whether it's true or not, it just feels like he's the person that makes the magic happen on the West, and some features don't really pan out as well without him (that Jeff/Brad Hitman video, while not outright bad, wasn't as entertaining as any of the Dan/Brad outings).

Even when Dan's on the West Coast, though, I think UPF is the biggest problem with the site right now (I know that's a huge shock coming from me, but seriously). It's a middling-to-bad feature that has essentially run its course. It's not fun anymore. That would be a bit more acceptable if it was just a small part of what you get with a premium subscription in 2016, but it's a significant chunk of their current premium content. I recall Jeff saying on the Kinda Funny podcast he did a while ago that he doesn't want to do a more regimented approach schedule-wise because he wants to have the site flow freely to keep things site exciting, and he doesn't want to get "stuck" doing something forever. It's a valid point, but it's hard to have faith in that when roughly half of the site's current premium output is, well, a feature they're seemingly stuck doing forever.

That being said, I don't necessarily think "make more videos" is the solution. They could easily strike a balance and have a free flowing approach while maintaining a regular schedule. The weekly show doesn't have to be the same feature week in and week out. You can keep UPF around, but why not do live Demo Derbies, Old Game Shows, Game Tapes, or Ranking of Fighters on Fridays along with it? Have a rotation of features on Friday instead of constant UPFs. It keeps Fridays from being as stale as they are currently, and it would ideally keep fan favorite features from being months apart from each other. It'd solve the content problem and the UPF problem.

have you been reading the last pages in here?

you can mute that channel, like some do in there, and forget about its existence. then you'll never have to read about anime again
If they mute that channel then how are they meant to get their hot takes on Watch Dogs 2.

Yes, time to purge this thread and begin anew. And use the best title
Do you ever wonder if maybe it just got a little too easy for people to make websites about games?

|OT| "In the Beginning..." or go home!

GT was biggest thing especially when it first came out. There was nothing like it on consoles.

Yup. It's "fallen off my radar" so to speak, but the real thing the series has on its six is competition on every venue (Driveclub, Forza, Project Cars, etc).

Yo, was still worth it.

Just Pre-YT was that constant struggle for quality videos, I remember it well.

have you been reading the last pages in here?

you can mute that channel, like some do in there, and forget about its existence. then you'll never have to read about anime again

As a GB fan, you can't escape the anime fandom, you ARE the anime fandom!

Bowlie

Banned
Huh, last time I went to the discord chat it was pretty dead. Guess it picked up?

pre-E3 it was pretty dead, with ~5 people or something.
During E3 it had more than a hundred, but even though most of those stopped using it, it still has a bunch of activity daily (~20 people)

I'm also in the letting my sub lapse camp because I can't really afford it now. I would try to figure something out if the content seemed worth it, but I've been ignoring just about every UPF lately and there's been fuck all otherwise. Podcasts are great but it's easy enough to just skip forward a minute with Beyondpod so the ads don't matter anyway.

I need a powerbombcast.

I need to hear Jeff shit on WWE not giving 2 fucks about Brock being busted for PED's
I need to hear them talk about Finn Balor blowing up his shoulder
I need to hear them talk about Kevin Owens winning the big red belt
I need to hear them talking about the CWC
I need to hear them talking about burning hammers and why they are banned

I mean JESUS CHRIST

So much wrestling stuff continues to happen. Its been a weirdly eventful month.

justjim89

Vinny had a death in the family recently and I'm sure their hands are a bit more full than usual following Austin's departure, so I can't really be too hard on the East crew. Even so, Dan did a good job of keeping things exciting over there. The Olympic feature was a lot of fun, and the past few Beastcasts have been stellar.

As for the West, I'd say that their content output has gone about as I expected it would without Dan being there, which isn't good considering the possibility of him moving to the East Coast permanently. Whether it's true or not, it just feels like he's the person that makes the magic happen on the West, and some features don't really pan out as well without him (that Jeff/Brad Hitman video, while not outright bad, wasn't as entertaining as any of the Dan/Brad outings).

Even when Dan's on the West Coast, though, I think UPF is the biggest problem with the site right now (I know that's a huge shock coming from me, but seriously). It's a middling-to-bad feature that has essentially run its course. It's not fun anymore. That would be a bit more acceptable if it was just a small part of what you get with a premium subscription in 2016, but it's a significant chunk of their current premium content. I recall Jeff saying on the Kinda Funny podcast he did a while ago that he doesn't want to do a more regimented approach schedule-wise because he wants to have the site flow freely to keep things site exciting, and he doesn't want to get "stuck" doing something forever. It's a valid point, but it's hard to have faith in that when roughly half of the site's current premium output is, well, a feature they're seemingly stuck doing forever.

That being said, I don't necessarily think "make more videos" is the solution. They could easily strike a balance and have a free flowing approach while maintaining a regular schedule. The weekly show doesn't have to be the same feature week in and week out. You can keep UPF around, but why not do live Demo Derbies, Old Game Shows, Game Tapes, or Ranking of Fighters on Fridays along with it? Have a rotation of features on Friday instead of constant UPFs. It keeps Fridays from being as stale as they are currently, and it would ideally keep fan favorite features from being months apart from each other. It'd solve the content problem and the UPF problem.

I agree with most of this, except the part about the Jeff and Brad Hitman video because I enjoyed that more than the standard ones. But it seems like UPF is held up as this pillar of the site's premium output when we maybe get one good one a month? Less is more would seem like the best approach here. Don't scrap UPF entirely, just do it bi-weekly or monthly and do other streams on the other Fridays. Old Game Show, Playdates, Demo Derby, or hell even something new. That way, when UPF does roll around, everyone hopefully has something worthwhile to play instead of so much of it being filler.

All in all, I'd say GBWest would do well to take deeper dives into games in general. Between UPF and QLs, 90% of games that come out are given an extremely surface-level glance and then never discussed again. How many times a month does Brad or Jeff say "It seems interesting, but I'm only an hour into it." and then that game never comes up again? I understand finding the right balance between covering every significant game in some capacity and covering games that warrant it more thoroughly is hard, but right now GB is about the last place to go for detailed and well-founded impressions of really any game. They dip their toe in, churn out a QL, and that's usually it. I'd love to see them do deeper dives on certain games and really get into the nitty gritty with them.

I don't plan on letting my subscription lapse anytime soon, but I'd be lying if I said I felt as though I'm getting my money's worth right now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy to keep paying as a reward for the hours of free entertainment I've got from podcasts, but I do wish their were more streams, playthroughs, etc. vinnyvania is great, have they ever spoken about why it happens so sporadically?

And yeah. I almost never watch UPF. I tend toward watching longer form looks of games I can watch for half an hour or so a night in bed or something.

Xater

I need a powerbombcast.

I need to hear Jeff shit on WWE not giving 2 fucks about Brock being busted for PED's
I need to hear them talk about Finn Balor blowing up his shoulder
I need to hear them talk about Kevin Owens winning the big red belt
I need to hear them talking about the CWC
I need to hear them talking about burning hammers and why they are banned

I mean JESUS CHRIST

So much wrestling stuff continues to happen. Its been a weirdly eventful month.

Is Kota Ibushi alright? That looked nasty.

Why would WWE care about brock being on PEDs?

Isn't every wrestler on PEDs?

Well.. they like to pretend they care.

Their wellness policy seems to be more about catching people taking synthetic drugs and catching out people not on prescriptions these days but once you have a cool doctor who gives you that piece of paper they don't really care.

Is Kota Ibushi alright? That looked nasty.

Dude won the match after taking that.

He is alright but to paraphrase Alex's twitter.

In japan some wrestlers have that one move you pull out of the box only every few years because it is legit dangerous and could kill a person. THAT is one of those moves, hit about as nasty as you can hit it. And here it wasn't even the finish of the match!

Xater

Dude won the match after taking that.

He is alright but to paraphrase Alex's twitter.

In japan some wrestlers have that one move you pull out of the box only every few years because it is legit dangerous and could kill a person. THAT is one of those moves, hit about as nasty as you can hit it. And here it wasn't even the finish of the match!

Was just worried, because he basically almost just came back from another nasty injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom