• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

For someone who hasn't followed GB for a while, what are the key points of last year or so?

- Walker left
- Dan moving to NYC
- They moved to another floor

Anything I'm missing? What about the future? Is there anything cool happening/in the works?

They have talked about wanting to hire multiple new people but won't happen till next year.

daveo42

Banned
Jeff probably has the biggest vape rig in all of California. He keeps it in the back of his Lexus and leave a trail of vape fog in his wake. He's why SF is so foggy in the morning. Jeff Gerstmann: Fog Machine.

- Brad is leaving

Oh cool. Maybe we will get less body horror emails with him gone.
I love the body horror emails.

daveo42

Banned
Jeff finished it off stream. I think they were still working on the cooler when it ended.

The cooler was basically what kept them from finishing on stream. That and I think the "too many cooks in the kitchen" mentality with with Will Smith, Brad, Jeff, Rorie, chat, and Dan all helping with the build. Jason was really the only one to put in some good work and input.

Dineren

Banned
The cooler was basically what kept them from finishing on stream. That and I think the "too many cooks in the kitchen" mentality with with Will Smith, Brad, Jeff, Rorie, chat, and Dan all helping with the build. Jason was really the only one to put in some good work and input.

Yeah, there were a number of reasons it took as long as it did. I tend to think people overstate how easy a PC build is, but they did themselves no favors by not checking youtube or even just searching for instructions on installing it.

To be fair though, a livestream is hardly the ideal setting for it, so I can understand why they wouldn't want to do that.

For someone who hasn't followed GB for a while, what are the key points of last year or so?

- Walker left
- Dan moving to NYC
- They moved to another floor

Anything I'm missing? What about the future? Is there anything cool happening/in the works?

They did a new Endurance Run

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can't tell if the "Brad is leaving" meme has surpassed the "ironic" level and is now genuine again.

Oh cool. Maybe we will get less body horror emails with him gone.
I love the body horror emails.

Dan is a walking body horror email though

Johndoey

Banned
Someone was selling it on the bst thread for $140

I was already signing into PayPal and the next post was like 2 minutes later quoting the guy that he's going to pm him

😊🔫
Damn I didn't see someone PM'd him. I hit him up the day after.

I just ended up taking the L and buying one for 230 on Amazon. Someone was selling one on eBay for 200 though.

Maiorum

A bit LTTP here, but I'm catching up on MPP7- and say what you will about Dan using the items and actually trying to win- but the amount of random bullshit that happens in Dan's favor in the space of about 10 turns is nothing short of amazing.

A bit LTTP here, but I'm catching up on MPP7- and say what you will about Dan using the items and actually trying to win- but the amount of random bullshit that happens in Dan's favor in the space of about 10 turns is nothing short of amazing.

2894984-2272592440-28947.gif

Finishing the VR spotlight episode and I have tears in my eyes from laughter. The Best Of video for last week is probably the funniest Best of Giant bomb video I've seen yet.

robotrock

Banned
I've got a theory that Titanfall 2 on PC will be a good port, and my reasoning relies on Jeff saying he saw a game running at 144hz recently, but could not say what game it was.

The multiplayer portion of the review event had everyone playing the game on PCs

Curufinwe

Jeff finished it off stream. I think they were still working on the cooler when it ended.

That's weird. When I check the PC threads here I often see people saying one person with no experience can easily put together a PC because the pieces just snap together like lego.

Dineren

Banned
That's weird. When I check the PC threads here I often see people saying one person with no experience can easily put together a PC because the pieces just snap together like lego.

People definitely have a tendency to gloss over the difficulties that can occur, but for the most part if you're willing to use youtube to get help on the more difficult steps it is not that hard (though it can be time consuming).

They were trying to figure out how to assemble a more complicated than usual cooler with no instructions and without looking for help online so it was much more difficult than it needed to be.

Edit: Or you can pay like $50 to have the site assemble and test it for you. No reason for someone to build it if they don't feel comfortable doing it.

I've got a theory that Titanfall 2 on PC will be a good port, and my reasoning relies on Jeff saying he saw a game running at 144hz recently, but could not say what game it was.

The multiplayer portion of the review event had everyone playing the game on PCs

Plus that post where they announced specs had extensive benchmarks and settings for each tier of specs, it was kind of astounding.

FStop7

Banned
The only part of that build that looked challenging was the liquid cooler. It seems like if Jeff had used a conventional heatsink and fan they could have gotten the build done within the normal UPF timeframe.

I've never paid attention to liquid cooling because I've never really been into overclocking. So assembling, filling, and pressure testing a water cooling system seemed like an unnecessary hassle. But learning from the UPF build that they're now self-contained I'm interested in doing a liquid cooled PC _if_ it means less fan noise. I'd like to have a high performing gaming PC that's as silent as possible.

No, it's not as easy as unboxing your PS4.

lmao

The only part of that build that looked challenging was the liquid cooler. It seems like if Jeff had used a conventional heat sink and fan they could have gotten the build done within the normal UPF time frame.

I've never paid attention to liquid cooling because I've never really been into overclocking. So assembling, filling, and pressure testing a water cooling system seemed like an unnecessary hassle. But learning from the UPF build that they're now self-contained I'm interested in doing a liquid cooled PC _if_ it means less fan noise. I'd like to have a high performing gaming PC that's as silent as possible.

The challenging part of that particular cooler was just making it fit.

I moved from air cooling to two AIO water coolers for my build a couple months ago.

Fitting two 240mm rads into a Mid-Tower case is pretty tough. Took me a few times to find a good config that got me optimal temps.

Mupod

I've got a massive case (HAF X) but I'm still not keen on fitting an AIO cooler in there, been looking into them lately and I have no idea what one I want. Putting a massive air cooler on a CPU sucks more than anything though.

Top Bottom