• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

Dunlop

Just finished the series, loved it

Have to agree with other posts here about complimenting the 30 minute format.

This was pretty great! Manages to dodge most of the issues I have with Netflix Originals in terms of tone and pacing while telling a great story in its own right. It's really committed to the period piece thing, which can make it hard to watch in spots (the Welfare Queen character is a particular sticking point for me, personally) but it manages to combine realism with a whole lot of heart so I can dig it.

Also, sidenote: what does it say about Netflix's writing styles that one of the first shows of theirs that I can remember not dragging is one with ten 30 minute episodes? I guess they just have trouble putting together enough plot for 13 full sized episodes for... some reason.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Between this and Dear White People, I'm really glad Netflix is adding more half-hour comedies. Makes bing-watching a lot easier.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Dude.

She has brown hair.

Do people think she's pretty? Because like, I’m looking at her, one second I think, ‘Fuck yeah, she’s hot.’ And then the next second I’m like, ‘I don’t know. Is she really?’ She just has one of those faces that kinda changes.

damn the season felt really short. I was hoping that we would get to see how big GLOW got.

I mean it got surprisingly big for what it was in real life, but I get the feeling if/when they do a Season 2 it might be even more of a departure again

Also I think I said it in here before, but I thought it was interesting that Bash/Sam are both very stereotypical characters (dumbass money mark producer/skeezy director) but are incredibly likable and subvert most of the tropes you'd associate with them (at least so far, I'm only 5 eps in)

LotusHD

Banned
I mean it got surprisingly big for what it was in real life, but I get the feeling if/when they do a Season 2 it might be even more of a departure again

Also I think I said it in here before, but I thought it was interesting that Bash/Sam are both very stereotypical characters (dumbass money mark producer/skeezy director) but are incredibly likable and subvert most of the tropes you'd associate with them (at least so far, I'm only 5 eps in)

Same, I was so ready to hate on them, especially Bash, but they're very likable indeed.

Also Bash kind of reminds me of Zac Efron for some reason lol

---

On Ep. 10, these outfits are on point!

I think the thing that hit me hardest about every character so far is in Ep 4
when you see that Rhonda/Britannica lives out of her car, because most indy wrestlers I know/have known for years had to do that

People sacrifice a lot to try and attain a dream

Only up to episode 4 so far but man I'm loving this. Brie and Maron are great

It kinda/sorta reminds me of a wrestling equivalent of A League of Their Own. With Tom Hanks being subbed in for a crankier Marc Maron

Also somebody get Charlotte Flair in the next season. And book Allison Brie vs Alexa Bliss for Wrestlemania

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Four episodes in and I'm incredibly impressed by the writing and acting.

Marc Maron is shockingly good in this.

McClane is still around today actually doing wrestling shit, though he's probably a lot more hands on with things than Bash is on the show
He's probably a shithead though so that's the tradeoff

HotHamBoy

Finished episode 1.

Potential.

Got, uh, a lot more from Alison Brie than I was anticipating.

I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

HotHamBoy

HEY

How does Glow's OT ALREADY have 8 pages while fellow Mad Men alumni Elizabeth Moss's The Handmaid's Tale only has 9??

That's a good fucking show.

Man, that really bums me out. Are people sleeping on Handmaid?

RedHill

Banned
Also, sidenote: what does it say about Netflix's writing styles that one of the first shows of theirs that I can remember not dragging is one with ten 30 minute episodes? I guess they just have trouble putting together enough plot for 13 full sized episodes for... some reason.
I don't know what you mean by this. These shows have different creative teams, there isn't like Netflix staff writers

HEY

How does Glow's OT ALREADY have 8 pages while fellow Mad Men alumni Elizabeth Moss's The Handmaid's Tale only has 9??

Are there titties in Handmaid's Tale

It's because it's on Hulu

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Also, thank fuck these episodes are only 30 minutes. I can't do hour-long shows anymore. They're such a chore to get invested in and I can't keep the momentum up like I can with these shorter episodes.

DMczaf

HEY

Because wrestling over in 2017, brother !

ZeroX03

Banned
All the streaming service offerings internationally are a mess outside of Netflix (and even they're missing some of their own originals because of old deals). GLOW was sitting there waiting on my TV when I got home on a Friday evening along with the rest of the world. Hulu or Seeso or whatever, I've got to track each show separately and with different release dates. Not worth it.

Top Bottom