• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War 2018 crosses 23 million units sold

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I hope these numbers, and the flops of Uncharted and Sackboy on pc show Sony where their consumers are.

Maybe they’ll slow down on the pc stuff a bit.

are you BryanK in disguise? you do realise that god of war has increased its numbers because of sales on PC to. it deserves the sales numbers to

Rykan

If I am a business company, I would rather have long term stable revenue, than a single title hitting that much.
If you're a game developer or publisher, that would be the exact opposite of what you'd want.

You want your sales to be as front loaded as possible, meaning that you want to sell as many as you can, as quickly as you can. The price of your game will go down significantly over time. A sale made just after launch it's worth so much more than a sale 1 or 2 years later.

feynoob

If you're a game developer or publisher, that would be the exact opposite of what you'd want.

You want your sales to be as front loaded as possible, meaning that you want to sell as many as you can, as quickly as you can. The price of your game will go down significantly over time. A sale made just after launch it's worth so much more than a sale 1 or 2 years later.
That is a great way to get money, if your game is a hit. Most most games don't have that much hit.
Alot of games don't meet the sales expectations, or don't bring enough money, even though the games are good.
Zenimax is example, that sometimes front money doesn't work, because it doesn't bring enough money. So publishers like zenimax are forced to sell. Even small devs are forced to sell to big companies, because it's not enough.

It's why guaranteed revenue is better. It protects publishers from situations like that. Running a business is risky, and you need guaranteed funds to keep your business.

Anyway, let's stop here. This GW topic. I don't want to derail the topic.

mckmas8808

Banned

This is only true if you are a developer. Sony is not only the Publisher, but also a console maker. They need to care just as much about which IPs move units, as much as how much "profit" each game makes at the point of sale. If their 1st party games can stay relevant for 4 years due to distributing them in difference ways, then that's better than blowing their load and having all sales and conversations begin and end in 3 months.

Ragnarok is next

74IR5gz.jpg
x-men origins wolverine GIF

Top Bottom