• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Origins |OT| More Kratos in HD

Pranay

521fd77dcacccbce97600eac8ce74bea.jpg

Information :
Box Art -
c4d799558a61a38d9e28ebe211e2b901.jpg

Publisher- Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA)
Developer- Ready At Dawn® Studios
Release Date- September 13, 2011
MSRP - $39.99
Experience the award-winning PSP games – God of War: Ghost of Sparta and God of War: Chains of Olympus in high-definition and on one Blu-ray disc for the first time.
This is the very first time PSP titles will be made available on Blu-ray for PlayStation 3 in the US.

Key Features:

->Fully remastered in 1080p HD in 60FPS and stereoscopic 3D.
->Full PlayStation Network trophy support.
->DualShock compatible with rumble support.
->Dolby 5.1 / DTS surround sound support.
->Bonus content will include DLC contents from Ghost of Sparta – God of War: Game ->Directors Live roundtable video and Legionnaire Kratos & Forest of the Forgotten.

Analysis/comparisons with original

Ready at Dawn has performed some proper remastering, porting across its engine to the PlayStation 3 specifically for the purposes of this project and then setting about improving art from both a geometry and texture perspective. The result is an excellent product that we'd recommend without any hesitation to any PS3 owner because the God of War Collection: Volume II has that important final ingredient: the original game still stand up well in 2011, and can only benefit from the transition to an HD console.

[NBtoaster - Thanks for the link]

god_of_war_chains_of_olympus_481.jpg

CHAINS OF OLYMPUS: As many who know the tales of the God of War know, Kratos, after being deceived into killing his wife and daughter, denounced his service to Ares. In order to seek absolution from his past sins, the Ghost of Sparta pledged himself as a champion to the Gods for the years to follow – these brutal crusades, in the name of Olympus, became legendary throughout the ancient world ... Experience Kratos' journey during the 10 years of servitude to the Gods of Olympus. In God of War: Chains of Olympus, Kratos will venture to lands that no mortal has ever walked upon.

Trophies

GodofWarChainsofOlympus.png

Above and Beyond - Platinum
Collect all of the trophies

Big Spender - Bronze
Upgrade any weapon

Man Overboard - Bronze
Defend the Shores of Attica

All Beam Walks Completed - Bronze
Finish all beam walks

Eye for an Eye - Silver
Collect all Gorgon Eyes

For the Birds - Silver
Collect all the Phoenix Feathers

You Complete Me - Silver
Completely upgrade all weapons and magic

Hit Me Baby - Silver
Execute a 200-hit combo

Mutton for Punishment - Silver
Slit 50 Satyr throats

Rejected! - Silver
Parry 50 attacks

Piece of Cake - Gold
Beat the Challenge of the Gods

Heavy Hitter - Gold
Execute a 1000-hit combo

Cosplayer - Gold
Play the game with an unlocked costume

It's Over Already? - Gold
Beat the game

Getting Your Money's Worth - Gold
Beat the game (Hard Mode)

Hidden Trophies - 20

gamghostofspartatitle530.jpg

GHOST OF SPARTA: Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War: Ghost of Sparta is a single-player game that allows players to take on the powerful role of Spartan warrior Kratos. This new adventure picks up after the first God of War concludes, telling the story of Kratos' ascension to power as the God of War. In his quest to rid himself of the nightmares that haunt him, Kratos must embark on a journey that will reveal the origins of lost worlds, and finally answer long-awaited questions about his dark past. Armed with the deadly chained Blades of Chaos, he will have to overcome armies of mythological monsters, legions of undead soldiers, and amazingly dangerous and brutal landscapes throughout his merciless quest.

Trophies

GodofWarGhostofSparta.png

The Ghost with the Most - Platinum
Collect all of the trophies

The Makings of a God - Bronze
Upgrade any weapon

Eye Can't Believe It! - Silver
Collect all the Gorgon Eyes

Bird Flu - Silver
Collect all the Phoenix Feathers

Mess with the Bull... - Silver
Collect all the Minotaur Horns

Burning Sensation - Silver
Incinerate 500 enemies

Master of Arms - Silver
Completely upgrade all weapons and magic

I'd Hit That - Silver
Execute a 200-Hit Combo

Collisions - Silver
Throw 10 enemies into other enemies

Heartless - Silver
Rip out 10 Keres Wraith enemy hearts

God Amongst Men - Gold
Beat the Challenge of the Gods

Treasure Hunter - Gold
Collect all of the Godly Possessions

Greatest Hits - Gold
Execute a 1000-Hit Combo

Only One Remains - Gold
Finish the game

Zeus May Cry - Gold
Finish the game (Hard Mode)

Videos :
PSP and PS3 Version Comparison
God of War Origins E3 Trailer
Comic Con Demo
Sea Monsters Gameplay Gameplay
Persian Beast Gameplay

Screenshots :

god-of-war-origins-e3-2011-screenshots.JPG

god-of-war-origins-collection-psp-ps3-comparison-screenshot-640x325.jpg

Reviews :
Metacritic - 87/100
PSX Extreme - 9.1 / 10
IGN - 9 / 10
Eurogamer - 8 / 10
1UP - A-
Playstation Universe - 9.5 / 10
Gametrailers - 8.8 / 10
PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10
Game Informer - 9.5 / 10
GamePro - 4 / 5
The Sixth axis - 9
Playstation Official Magazine US - 9 / 10

Will wait for the collections collection.

Edit: That being said, I've never played a God of War title, of the two PSP games, which should I play?

JB1981

Fuck yea this looks kind of awesome. I never played these! I am always up for a good Kratos adventure

Pranay

AbsoluteZero said:
Will wait for the collections collection.

Edit: That being said, I've never played a God of War title, of the two PSP games, which should I play?

Both are quite good.

I would prefer Chain of Olympus if i had to select one.

Nizz

These PSP games are the only GOW games I haven't played. I'm anxious to get this set, I just don't know exactly when I'll get it. I'll definitely be getting it sometime soon.

Loved these two first time around on PSP and will definitely be picking this up. Not sure if it's a day one for me, but definitely a planned purchase. I'm guessing the majority of people won't have played these games before?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Look @ all those Silver & Gold Trophies...I came =]

Will get during Black Friday extravaganza, hopefully cheaper, should be <$20 by then

Also I think this will be a cool thing to have in you trophy list

5 GOW titles appearing

I have GOW I, II, III, (all 3 100%) so adding these 2 onto it will make it look awesome

(I don't think any other franchise is 5 different trophy list for said franchise on PS3)

I think Dead Space comes in 2nd, with Dead Space, Dead Space 2, Dead Space Extraction, Dead Space Ignition, some others will tie with like Battlefield/COD franchise
*Hmm...Cabela's has 4 titles, wow*

Carl

Loved Chains of Olympus and (despite owning it) i haven't started Ghost of Sparta yet. Can't wait to play them on the big screen ::)

Mrbob

Finally can play these games as I don't own a PSP. Very excited for release next week so I can dive in. :D I ran through the demo on PSN and that is all I needed to get amped.

NBtoaster

Analysis/comparisons with original:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-god-of-war-collection-volume-ii-tech-analysis
Ready at Dawn has performed some proper remastering, porting across its engine to the PlayStation 3 specifically for the purposes of this project and then setting about improving art from both a geometry and texture perspective. The result is an excellent product that we'd recommend without any hesitation to any PS3 owner because the God of War Collection: Volume II has that important final ingredient: the original game still stand up well in 2011, and can only benefit from the transition to an HD console.

Xaekid

Already played and completed both on the PSP so I won't be getting this but for the people that missed these games and wanna try them, this is the perfect chance.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Kojima invented transfarring for a reason. So we could have the best of both worlds.
I wish kojima would just elaborate and confirm vita details.

Maybe @ TGS.

Ghost of Sparta is way better than Chains of Olympus, which plays like a neverending series of boring locked-room-with-enemies encounters with few setpieces. Chains is also insanely short, with my at-the-endboss savefile saying 4:35. Sparta was more like 6h something, so it was both longer and better. As a budget priced compilation though, I'd say they're both worth playing, but I'd call Chains the appetizer and Sparta the main course. ;)

Ordered my copy today. I'm importing from the US even though it's a little more expensive, mostly because the cover doesn't look like total ass (let alone the horrible title, 'God of War Collection Volume II'? Really?). And it'll look good right next to my US copy of the first GoW Collection.

Really looking forward to playing Chains of Olympus again, it's probably my favourite in the series. Ghost of Sparta though? Eh, probably my least favourite and I have a feeling going for its platinum will be a pain in the ass. Combat mechanics were a step backwards from GoW3, the pacing was off (way more combat than any of the other games) and, from what I can remember, some of the enemies were pretty unbalanced (like the wraiths).

Edit: I would agree that GoS had a good story though, that's the one thing I really liked about it.

An-Det

I'll definitely be picking this up at some point, I loved the console games. I never got around to playing the PSP versions, so this works well. Shame there is no easy way to play the cell phone game, just for completions-sake.

Foliorum Viridum said:
So are these good games? Not good by PSP standards, but actually good games?

If so I'll pick them up. I like 1-3.

Ghost of Sparta is great, Chain of Olympus is just good, but it has it's moment.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I'm most surprised and pleased by the 5.1 support. If I recall correctly even the original collection didn't offer that. 3d support is also a nice touch.

I'm on it.

Massa

The game looks beautiful on the PS3, better than the previous collection even. Ready at Dawn did an awesome job.

The games are fantastic too, a must play for any God of War fan.

So when do these games take place in the series? I have yet to play the GoW PS2 collection, so I will probably just play them in order.

I also have yet to play the PSP games in general.

Anyone that's not checked these out on PSP should pick this up immediately. Ghost of Sparta, especially, is fantastic. Chains of Olympus is also very, very good.

HammerOfThor said:
So when do these games take place in the series? I have yet to play the GoW PS2 collection, so I will probably just play them in order.

I also have yet to play the PSP games in general.

Chains is a prequel to Gow1. Sparta is in between 1 and 2.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Chains is a prequel to Gow1. Sparta is in between 1 and 2.
Looks like this game collection is coming just in time, I'm about to finish God of War. I guess I'll be picking this up on the 13th and running through both PSP games before moving on to God of War 2 and 3. (I bought GoW 3 and the GoW Collection on their respective releases and am finally getting to enjoy them.)

Nintendo Playstation said:
Looks like this game collection is coming just in time, I'm about to finish God of War. I guess I'll be picking this up on the 13th and running through both PSP games before moving on to God of War 2 and 3. (I bought GoW 3 and the GoW Collection on their respective releases and am finally getting to enjoy them.)

Yeah it's definitely a good idea to play them in order. God of War 3 literally picks up seconds after 2 ends.

Top Bottom