• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Origins |OT| More Kratos in HD

Amir0x

Banned
I definitely going to get this. The upgrade seems to be absolutely massive over the PSP game, and now every God of War game will be on a single system which is great for collecting purposes. Gooood shit.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The Xtortionist said:
Cool, just need that and the trophy for getting stoned 5 times for the platinum.

Fun game, but Ghost of Sparta annihilates it.
Not that you asked, but getting stoned is easy.
As you're working through the tower toward Persephone, clear one of the rooms with the stoning rays, and leave at least one ray functional. Then just get stoned, and break out five times. Super quick trophy.

Amir0x said:
I definitely going to get this. The upgrade seems to be absolutely massive over the PSP game, and now every God of War game will be on a single system which is great for collecting purposes. Gooood shit.
If they put God of War 3 on PSN, I'll pony up for God of War 1 & 2 HD on there as well...as you say, everything on one system.

jvm said:
Not that you asked, but getting stoned is easy.
As you're working through the tower toward Persephone, clear one of the rooms with the stoning rays, and leave at least one ray functional. Then just get stoned, and break out five times. Super quick trophy.

I tried that but the things would never stone me. Thought they were broken lol. I'll try it again.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The Xtortionist said:
I tried that but the things would never stone me. Thought they were broken lol. I'll try it again.
Stand still in the ray for the whole duration. You'll get stoned at the very end.

Amir0x said:
Now that you mention it, a couple of years down the line I can see them coming out with a collection that includes all five games for the PS3, like the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii.

Just finished both games. I had played CHAINS on PSP when it was released and in HD, it looks pretty good but GHOST looks amazing graphically in HD. Better than GOW1 and 2. Not the art direction though, it's really good, but it doesn't achieve what GOW2 was, but graphically, it blows it out of the water.

I really didn't like GOW3, but I have the urge play it again now, we'll see.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
StevePharma said:
What the fuck people. WHY is this thread still single page !?

Lets spice this shit up.

http://i.imgur.com/JHw01.jpg[IMG]

[b]Stealth-brag post! ;-) Look at that, I even got the cell-phone game, plus 5 platinums on my PS3. Can I get a cookie now Santa Monica?[/b]

Just platinumed Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus. Damn that was fun. ReadyatDawn should be applauded for their work. Both games look so crisp on a 1080p display, they probably already made their assets hi-res and if not, they did some magic on those things. The games looked crisper to me than Bluepoint's collection, although that is to be expected.

I'm probably God of Whored out right now, but man what a great series to play. Story-wise I'm really feeling Ghost of Sparta and GoWI, the former because of its personal story and GoWI because of it's closure and tight script while still leaving a lot of room for expanding the universe (which it obviously did). Gameplay wise I'm really in love with the mechanics of Ghost of Sparta. The rage meter combined with charge takedowns and the Spartan spear/shield combo is too good. ReadyatDawn nailed the controls and defined how a GoW-game should be controlled. Same goes for the silky smooth controls of GoWIII, but Ghost of Sparta only just outdoes it because of the aforementioned things.

Let's hope there are good things ahead for this franchise, because I had so much fun with it over two console generations.

Obligatory, as a trophy nut, I have to say there are some funny and clever (hidden) trophies in this collection. good stuff.[/QUOTE]

That Kratos statue and limited edition box makes me jelly (I have the rest of the stuff, besides platinum trophies for GoW I and II). You should get the GoW comics and the novelization of GoW I too just to complete the collection :D

Autofokus

SketchTheArtist said:
Just finished both games. I had played CHAINS on PSP when it was released and in HD, it looks pretty good but GHOST looks amazing graphically in HD. Better than GOW1 and 2. Not the art direction though, it's really good, but it doesn't achieve what GOW2 was, but graphically, it blows it out of the water.

re: Ghost of Sparta, absolutely - you hardly see that it was originally a PSP game and it really looks stunning in 3D. Chains looks overall just a little bit dated.

Man

Amir0x said:
and now every God of War game will be on a single system which is great for collecting purposes. Gooood shit.
Too bad no PC or even PS4 will be able to emulate PS3 software in the next ten years. ;)

SkylineRKR

Yeah I bought GoS stand alone (which is possible for non Plusers in Europe, and for only 17 euros) because I already feared Chains would feel dated. Way back then I already thought it wasn't exactly the best God of War game.

By the way, I played GoS on both DTS and DD and it seems that the volume of grunts and slashes is really low compared to the background noise? In cutscenes its okay.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
StevePharma said:

Lets spice this shit up.

Stealth-brag post! ;-) Look at that, I even got the cell-phone game, plus 5 platinums on my PS3. Can I get a cookie now Santa Monica?

Just platinumed Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus. Damn that was fun. ReadyatDawn should be applauded for their work. Both games look so crisp on a 1080p display, they probably already made their assets hi-res and if not, they did some magic on those things. The games looked crisper to me than Bluepoint's collection, although that is to be expected.

I'm probably God of Whored out right now, but man what a great series to play. Story-wise I'm really feeling Ghost of Sparta and GoWI, the former because of its personal story and GoWI because of it's closure and tight script while still leaving a lot of room for expanding the universe (which it obviously did). Gameplay wise I'm really in love with the mechanics of Ghost of Sparta. The rage meter combined with charge takedowns and the Spartan spear/shield combo is too good. ReadyatDawn nailed the controls and defined how a GoW-game should be controlled. Same goes for the silky smooth controls of GoWIII, but Ghost of Sparta only just outdoes it because of the aforementioned things.

Let's hope there are good things ahead for this franchise, because I had so much fun with it over two console generations.

Obligatory, as a trophy nut, I have to say there are some funny and clever (hidden) trophies in this collection. good stuff.

Do you have the Chains of Olympus demo that came with the god of war necklace?

neojubei said:
Do you have the Chains of Olympus demo that came with the god of war necklace?

No sadly I don't have the necklace. I also wanted those custom blades of ares but they were hella expensive.

Combichristoffersen said:
That Kratos statue and limited edition box makes me jelly (I have the rest of the stuff, besides platinum trophies for GoW I and II). You should get the GoW comics and the novelization of GoW I too just to complete the collection :D

That Kratos statue is so cheesy. It has a button on the back which you can press to make him say some phrases like "I AM THE GOD OF WAR!" and such. Love it. The Special Edition Box looks cool but man, that shit was 250 bucks for a piece of plastic and two games+ 3 carton sleeve soundtracks. You have to be a fan to shell out like that :)

I read the GoW-comics at a friend of mine who is a comic nut, but I myself don't own them. Wasn't really feeling them either. I can only imagine how GoW1 is novelized. All caps when Kratos speaks for 200 pages lol

And then Kratos entered a circled ring, familiar in design to dozens of other circles he encountered on his trip to Athens.
When his muscular sandalized feet hit the center of the
ring, a flaming wall blocked his progress. A skeleton trollface could be seen
in the flames."WTF IS THIS SHIT!", Kratos uttered, while some Hoplite Soldiers
spawned from the concrete tiles beside him. "UUUAAAARRGHHGH", said Kratos,
when he ripped the body of one Hoplite soldier in half with his bare hands, throwing the remainder into his demonic companions.
Kratos then spammed L1+
Triangle18x18.png
to win the battle. The sweet sensation
of red orbs hit his lips. The skeleton trollface
disappeared and turned into a door. Kratos felt the need to press on, and mashed
circle18x18.png

To be continued.....

Combichristoffersen

StevePharma said:
That Kratos statue is so cheesy. It has a button on the back which you can press to make him say some phrases like "I AM THE GOD OF WAR!" and such. Love it. The Special Edition Box looks cool but man, that shit was 250 bucks for a piece of plastic and two games+ 3 carton sleeve soundtracks. You have to be a fan to shell out like that :)

I read the GoW-comics at a friend of mine who is a comic nut, but I myself don't own them. Wasn't really feeling them either. I can only imagine how GoW1 is novelized. All caps when Kratos speaks for 200 pages lol

And then Kratos entered a circled ring, familiar in design to dozens of other circles he encountered on his trip to Athens.
When his muscular sandalized feet hit the center of the
ring, a flaming wall blocked his progress. A skeleton trollface could be seen
in the flames."WTF IS THIS SHIT!", Kratos uttered, while some Hoplite Soldiers
spawned from the concrete tiles beside him. "UUUAAAARRGHHGH", said Kratos,
when he ripped the body of one Hoplite soldier in half with his bare hands, throwing the remainder into his demonic companions.
Kratos then spammed L1+
Triangle18x18.png
to win the battle. The sweet sensation
of red orbs hit his lips. The skeleton trollface
disappeared and turned into a door. Kratos felt the need to press on, and mashed
circle18x18.png

To be continued.....

That statue sounds awesomely cheesy. Wonder what it would cost me to get one off eBay. As for the special edition box, it was pretty damn expensive up here too, which is why I didn't bother getting it.

And your version of the GoW novelization is better than the real deal :lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
StevePharma said:
No sadly I don't have the necklace. I also wanted those custom blades of ares but they were hella expensive.
Hey, I had that. I wonder where it went when I put stuff into storage. Probably in my PSP/PS1/PS2/PS3 demo disc box.

Combichristoffersen said:
That statue sounds awesomely cheesy. Wonder what it would cost me to get one off eBay. As for the special edition box, it was pretty damn expensive up here too, which is why I didn't bother getting it.

And your version of the GoW novelization is better than the real deal :lol

Haha thanks. Those games just inspire your writing you know.

I bought the Kratos doll for about 30 euros in one of those Dutch comic-boutique stores.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So far I'm loving the Collection.

The games both look amazing, and feel great. I beat Chains, and God of War 1, now I'm working on Ghost of Sparta.

I played both on the PSP, and I had always wanted the ability to play them on my TV. This is even better than just wanting to play the PSP versions straight (although I would still love to have Sony release a PSP emulator on the PS Store).

My only gripes about the Collection are the pauses that still occur when transitioning between some areas. I remember it would pause on the PSP, and I assumed that that would be fixed in the disc based release, but sadly, it's not. Unlike the PSP version, the pauses aren't super long, and followed by horrible slowdown.

Speaking of, the framerate is rock solid as well. Very fluid.

I prefer Ghost of Sparta to Chains of Olympus, but I enjoyed replaying Chains. It's been fun so far, playing the series in story order. I'll move on to GoW2 and 3 after Ghost of Sparta.

Don't care for Trophies much, so I'm not sure I'm going to bother going for them. I'm not a fan of hidden trophies either. I understand hiding story spoiler trophies, but not stuff that you probably wouldn't ever think to do, even when just messing around with the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finished the collection yesterday, they were quite good. Can't believe these games were running on PSP. Got all 5 games Platinum'd now

jvm

Gamasutra.
Wario64 said:
Finished the collection yesterday, they were quite good. Can't believe these games were running on PSP. Got all 5 games Platinum'd now
Jeeeeeeeebus. Really? That's less than 7 days to finish both ... to platinum ... provided you didn't get early access.

People really have ludicrous amounts of time to play games.

For each child, I estimate that my free time has been cut in half. Thank heavens we stopped with three... :p

Edit: To be clear, not criticizing anyone in any way. Just marveling at how I simply cannot hang with "real gamers" or whatever.

I am nearly at platinum on Chains. I have a couple of easy things to finish... and the Challenge of the Gods 3, 4, and 5. :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I started and platinumed CoO yesterday. I started a bit of GoS but I don't think I'll get the platinum right away because that's a bit too much of GoW for me.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Finished off Challenge of the Gods 3 last night (in CoO). I recall that being one of the toughest back when I did it on the PSP. Hope the other two aren't so bad and I can cross that trophy off my list.

SaitoH

Finished both games:

I bought and played through Chains of Olympus on the PSP a couple times. Replaying it this time really hit home how I was more impressed with the fact that I was playing a GoW game on the PSP, than I was at how good a GoW game it was. It was also a very short game (just clocked in at 4 hours).

Ghost of Sparta is the real deal though; It ranks right up with GoW 2 IMO. Read At Dawn should be proud.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Started my God mode playthrough of Chains. It's possibly even more of a shitfest slog than God mode in GOW1 and 2. I remember those games had some seriously hard parts on occasion, but in Chains I'm dying during most battles.

The game just isn't designed for this difficulty. Dying in a battle way too often results in having to re-open a door, or traverse the level in some other time consuming way. Then half the time I'm greeted by a mini-cutscene introducing the battle. The checkpoints are generous, but ill-placed if you actually die frequently.

The health chests are also so ill-placed that I basically never enter a fight with full health (I'm lucky if I've got half health), so in a sense I'm being punished twice; once by the tougher enemies and again by a lack of resources. The requirement for progression without constant deaths in battle is basically never get hurt, which defeats the purpose of having a life bar, health chests, and generous checkpoints in the first place.

Better checkpoints and skippable mini-cutscenes would alleviate all my complaints. I can deal with having almost no health all the time, as long as when I die I start the battle over immediately.

I really love the GOW series, so I'm not saying I hate this game or anything. Just had to get this off my chest!

Otherwise, I went into Chains with reasonable expectations, but I really like the way it plays and feels. It's snappy, and the pacing is much more brisk than the other GOW games, which surely accounts in part for its brevity. Ghosts of Sparta clearly looks better, but I feel like it has been strongly influenced by GOW3 (which is good and bad, IMO) while Chains feels very much like GOW1&2.

SaitoH

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Started my God mode playthrough of Chains. It's possibly even more of a shitfest slog than God mode in GOW1 and 2. I remember those games had some seriously hard parts on occasion, but in Chains I'm dying during most battles.

I actually got agonizingly close to completing COO god mode on the PSP, but gave up.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Platinum. Is there a legitimate way to do the 1000-hit combo that doesn't involve spamming a boss that's unbeatable by normal means?

Wario64 said:

Internet High Five! You can join us in the special club now :)

jvm said:
Jeeeeeeeebus. Really? That's less than 7 days to finish both ... to platinum ... provided you didn't get early access.

I did both in 2 days (evenings). If you're accustomed to GoW-controls and the PSP-games it's really really easy.

jvm said:
Platinum. Is there a legitimate way to do the 1000-hit combo that doesn't involve spamming a boss that's unbeatable by normal means?

I guess you spammed the Persian King or Leviathan in COO or the first boss from GOS for it? Pretty much yeah. In GOS you can also go to the combat arena, set your magic to infinite and spawn 6 hoplites with infinite health. Spam D-Pad left until the counter hits 1000 and you're done.

Yesterday got the last of my 5 platinums (GOW: Ghost of Sparta) and...loved every second of it X3...

Proof (see image below) XDD:

GOW-Saga-Platinos.jpg

So...yeah my body is ready for GOW:Resurrection whenever they want to make it. (DO IT SANTA MONICA) XD.

Vol5

Dipped on the digital versions and I think I'm about 1/2 way through COO. These were PSP titles, granted at a lower resolution, but damn it looks stunning. Playing it entirely in 3D which works an absolute charm.

Very much looking forward to GoS.

augmental

Ghost of Sparta is really good. I like the story and the Arms of Sparta. CoO is pretty meh, I can see where it would've been cool on the PSP though.

I am getting some shitty glitch. I got 4 gorgon´s eyes, after that every suppose to be gorgon´s eye i am getting red and blue orbs in these colorless boxes. I am pretty sure it´s a glitch because i got all of the feature boxes, and got extra magic. I think i have to restart the whole thing :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
augmental said:
Ghost of Sparta is really good. I like the story and the Arms of Sparta. CoO is pretty meh, I can see where it would've been cool on the PSP though.

I wanted to love the Arms of Sparta, but despite being very powerful they don't feel powerful at all. Zeus' gauntlet was a ton more fun for me. It had great feel, sound, visual effects, and utility. Probably a bit overpowered for normal difficulty, but who cares, it's GOW.

SaitoH

Beam said:
I am getting some shitty glitch. I got 4 gorgon´s eyes, after that every suppose to be gorgon´s eye i am getting red and blue orbs in these colorless boxes. I am pretty sure it´s a glitch because i got all of the feature boxes, and got extra magic. I think i have to restart the whole thing :(

It's not a glitch, it just means you are finding most of the hidden chests. You'll get the last gorgon eye when you are supposed to. This is the way all the GoW games work.

ScOULaris

I played through Ghost of Sparta first, and now I am making my way through Chains of Olympus. My expectations were lowered by all of the comments in this thread about CoO being inferior, but I'm actually pretty impressed by it so far. It has that older GOW1 vibe with the polish of GOW2 and Ghost of Sparta, especially in HD.

I can see why people feel that GoS is a more "complete" GOW experience, but the tighter structure of CoO works in its favor IMO. Ghost of Sparta was great, but it did feel like it was dragging after a while. The game just kept throwing you into combat rooms with multiple cyclopes, harpies, and other annoying shit to slow you down.

SaitoH said:
It's not a glitch, it just means you are finding most of the hidden chests. You'll get the last gorgon eye when you are supposed to. This is the way all the GoW games work.
I really think so. These boxes always give gorgon´s eye or phoenix feather. I already got 6 FF, and i should have gotten 6 GE. 2 colorless boxes gave me red and blue orbs.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Beam said:
I really think so. These boxes always give gorgon´s eye or phoenix feather. I already got 6 FF, and i should have gotten 6 GE. 2 colorless boxes gave me red and blue orbs.
There are more colourless boxes than there are eyes/feathers. They do this to make it easier to get all of the eyes/feathers. Keep playing.

Carnby

StevePharma said:

Lets spice this shit up.

JHw01.jpg

Great collection. I would suggest adding the Asian version of God of War Collection to your collection, simply for its superior cover art.

augmental

Finished Ghost of Sparta and I have a few questions if you guys can help out:

1) So I thought this game explained Kratos' red markings? It just explains his scar as far as I can tell

2) When going through the game's in game movies via the 'Treasures' section, some of the movies kind of skip at the beginning or flash a garbled mess for a second and then it shows the movie...can anyone else confirm this happening to them? I am just curious if it is just the game or my PS3.

Thanks!

Combichristoffersen

augmental said:
Finished Ghost of Sparta and I have a few questions if you guys can help out:

1) So I thought this game explained Kratos' red markings? It just explains his scar as far as I can tell

If you think of his red tattoo, he got that as
a tribute to his brother, as he had a similar birthmark

augmental

So no one has had any issues with the cut scenes in Ghost of Sparta? By 'issues' I mean some slight stuttering when they first start playing or a garbled screen for a second before it plays the cut scene. I noticed this specifically with Ghost of Sparta. I haven't played much of Chains yet.

I realize this doesn't sound like a huge deal but it seemed like the cut scenes were giving my PS3 laser a workout so I am hoping it is normal for the game and not just my PS3 laser losing its gusto.

Xander51

This collection is great. The re-done assets here really put some other HD remakes to shame. I had never played Ghost of Sparta before a couple of days ago and it's incredible.

As to the pauses and issues people are mentioning, I bought the digital version and I'm not having those problems, so I wonder if maybe it has to do with streaming off the Blu-Ray?

Grinchy

Banned
I can't explain it, but I like God of War, and I have a PSP, yet I've never been interested in these games. Even in this collection I'm just not interested. It mystifies me.

Xander51 said:
This collection is great. The re-done assets here really put some other HD remakes to shame. I had never played Ghost of Sparta before a couple of days ago and it's incredible.

As to the pauses and issues people are mentioning, I bought the digital version and I'm not having those problems, so I wonder if maybe it has to do with streaming off the Blu-Ray?

wait? they're redoing some assets? I don't bothre buying it because I already beat it on psp. what asset are they redoing for this hd port?

Xander51

Callibretto said:
wait? they're redoing some assets? I don't bothre buying it because I already beat it on psp. what asset are they redoing for this hd port?

Yeah, Ready at Dawn still had all the old artwork and so they were able to re-touch it. All of the textures are much higher resolution, and all of the videos were re-compressed in HD. The original games topped out at 1.6 Gigs thanks to UMD, and here Chains of Olympus takes about 7 Gigs and Ghost of Sparta takes about 9 Gigs. They look incredible.

Top Bottom