• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Origins |OT| More Kratos in HD

Berksy

When PSP first released it got bashed just because it had downgraded ports of PS2 games. Then PSP games got ported to PS2 (GTA Stories etc.). Now its games getting ported to PS3 :eek:

I hope PS3 owners enjoy them. GoW series on PSP were a little bit short on play time but i am waiting your Peace Walker experience in awe :D

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just played the demo, it looks and runs great.

Tried out the 3D as well. It's pretty solid. Though with the lowered frame rate and depth of vision, when the camera pulls back from the deck of the ship it kind of looks like stop motion animation using action figures.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
AbsoluteZero said:
Will wait for the collections collection.

Edit: That being said, I've never played a God of War title, of the two PSP games, which should I play?

Ghost of Sparta. CoO isn't bad, but GoS was better.

Gonna get this, as there's not really anything else coming out this fall that I'm interested in.

Rolf NB

Great, convincing demo. I've finished Chains Of Olympus on the PSP before, but I had never played Ghost Of Sparta. Count me in.

Combichristoffersen said:
Ghost of Sparta. CoO isn't bad, but GoS was better.

Gonna get this, as there's not really anything else coming out this fall that I'm interested in.
I... I don't understand.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Ghost of Sparta is amazing.

The combat In it is a lot better than all GoW games minus GoW3 imo.

I cant get enough of the jump tackle attack especially when you execute combos with it. It is so satisfying to pull off.

shwimpy

Cool... forgot I had this in my queue and Gamefly shipped it to me today. Can't wait to finally play Ghost of Sparta.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It'll be on the PS Store (NA) tomorrow. Not sure about pricing yet. Or bundles. Can't wait, though...

GeoramA

The demo really sold me. Ghost of Sparta looks great in HD and the controls feel like it was made for the DS3 rather than the PSP.

Kinda glad I held off on these.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
badcrumble said:
I... I don't understand.

There's not anything major coming this fall that I care for, at least not anything I can think of at the moment. I was interested in Sonic Generations until Sega revealed Shadow, and all my interest flew out the window.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Preordered from Newegg a couple months ago when they had the 10 dollar discount promotion. I was thinking I'd have to wait a few days for the free shipping but it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Yay Newegg.

Just picked this up and the Splinter Cell Collection. Man what a difference. It's that I adore SC and Chaos Theory but Ready at Dawn knocks this HD-shit out of the park. So crisp, nice controls and because the art was good this scales up extremely well.

Will be a good weekend for me :-D. Also, trophies out the ass on both games. Some pretty funny ones too.

I bought this at Kmart last night for a buddy. Definitely going back on the 18th with the $15 gaming coupon that printed to grab myself a copy. The spear in Ghost of Sparta is sick!

CozMick

Banned
The difference between PSP and PS3 is crazy.

Will pick this up later down the line, too many big hitters due soon for me :\

I'd buy this. Finished the 1st PSP game and loved it.

Going to get this for the 2nd one.

"3d compatible game"? - I think this is going to look sick in 3D

Galdelico

I need help, Canadian GAFfers. :)

Is there a specific Canadian version of GoW Origins, with bilingual ESRB manual and backcover?

I'd like to import the game - and I'd buy it from VG+ or Axelmusic - but I'm looking for the full-english version. So I'd like to know if it's safe to get it from Canadian stores.

Thanks.

Even with the low poly-count, Ghost of Sparta is a beautiful game. The clean look and smooth framerate is so nice. When the camera zooms to reveal big temples and ominous skies and sheer cliffs, it's just gorgeous. I'm playing this directly after Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and this game is just flatout more appealing looking to me, mostly because of first rate art.

As far as gameplay goes, I just never get bored of these games even though they barely change. The formula is just crack.

What the fuck people. WHY is this thread still single page !?

Lets spice this shit up.

JHw01.jpg

Stealth-brag post! ;-) Look at that, I even got the cell-phone game, plus 5 platinums on my PS3. Can I get a cookie now Santa Monica?

Just platinumed Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus. Damn that was fun. ReadyatDawn should be applauded for their work. Both games look so crisp on a 1080p display, they probably already made their assets hi-res and if not, they did some magic on those things. The games looked crisper to me than Bluepoint's collection, although that is to be expected.

I'm probably God of Whored out right now, but man what a great series to play. Story-wise I'm really feeling Ghost of Sparta and GoWI, the former because of its personal story and GoWI because of it's closure and tight script while still leaving a lot of room for expanding the universe (which it obviously did). Gameplay wise I'm really in love with the mechanics of Ghost of Sparta. The rage meter combined with charge takedowns and the Spartan spear/shield combo is too good. ReadyatDawn nailed the controls and defined how a GoW-game should be controlled. Same goes for the silky smooth controls of GoWIII, but Ghost of Sparta only just outdoes it because of the aforementioned things.

Let's hope there are good things ahead for this franchise, because I had so much fun with it over two console generations.

Obligatory, as a trophy nut, I have to say there are some funny and clever (hidden) trophies in this collection. good stuff.

SkylineRKR

I played GoS on PSP when it was released and thought it was the best God of War game. I expected some shoddy cheap ass HD ports when this was announced but after trying the demo I came to the conclusion that Ghost of Sparta looks mind blowing on Ps3! 5.1 sound, DS3 controls.... and on PSP I already thought it was the best game in the series.

So yeah I double dipped.

Ravage

StevePharma said:
Nice collection you have there ;)

StevePharma said:
Let's hope there are good things ahead for this franchise, because I had so much fun with it over two console generations..
Agreed, i thought i had played enough GOW for this gen, but Ghost of Sparta was so good it left me wanting for more.

StevePharma said:

Let's spice this shit up.

JHw01.jpg

Stealth-brag post! ;-) Look at that, I even got the cell-phone game, plus 5 platinums on my PS3. Can I get a cookie now Santa Monica?

Just platinumed Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus. Damn that was fun. ReadyatDawn should be applauded for their work. Both games look so crisp on a 1080p display, they probably already made their assets hi-res and if not, they did some magic on those things. The games looked crisper to me than Bluepoint's collection, although that is to be expected.

I'm probably God of Whored out right now, but man what a great series to play. Story-wise I'm really feeling Ghost of Sparta and GoWI, the former because of it's personal story and GoWI because of it's closure and tight script while still leaving a lot of room for expanding the universe (which it obviously did). Gameplay wise I'm really in love with the mechanics of Ghost of Sparta. The rage meter combined with charge takedowns and the Spartan spear/shield combo is too good. ReadyatDawn nailed the controls and defined how a GoW-game should be controlled. Same goes for the silky smooth controls of GoWIII, but Ghost of Sparta only just outdoes it because of the aforementioned things.

Let's hope there are good things ahead for this franchise, because I had so much fun with it over two console generations.

Obligatory, as a trophy nut, I have to say there are some funny and clever (hidden) trophies in this collection. good stuff.
That´s one helluva collection dude. I almost have the same. I have not paltinumed any of them. I have not played GOW1 though. I am waiting for the PSP upgraded collection to arrive next week.

Also a big FUUUUU to the Keres Wraiths in Ghost of Sparta. When I played God Mode on the PSP last year I almost got carpal tunnel fighting these things. Thanks god for dual analog control on PS3, made those battles much more manageable.

Beam said:
That´s one helluva collection dude. I almost have the same. I have not paltinumed any of them. I have not played GOW1 though. I am waiting for the PSP upgraded collection to arrive next week.

Thanks man. You're gonna have a blast with the collection. Hope you have a 1080p HD-monitor/TV for the best experience.

Nizz

Just chiming in to agree with everyone on the Ghost of Sparta demo for PS3. Game looks great and runs beautifully. I really wish I had the money to get this now.

Jealous of StevePharma right now. ;) Enjoy,man. I wish this Origins set came with the skin for Deimos to play through God of War 3 with.

I'll definitely be picking this release up down the road. Love God of War.

offshore

Played the demo last night. Pretty good, although I did keep hammering R2 and wondering why the magic wasn't working :lol

Not sure it's worth a full price purchase though. Even though the reason is obvious, it ain't really a looker. Will probably pick up down the road.

Vol5

StevePharma said:

Lets spice this shit up.

JHw01.jpg

I'm probably God of Whored out right now, but man what a great series to play. Story-wise I'm really feeling Ghost of Sparta and GoWI, the former because of its personal story and GoWI because of it's closure and tight script while still leaving a lot of room for expanding the universe (which it obviously did). Gameplay wise I'm really in love with the mechanics of Ghost of Sparta. The rage meter combined with charge takedowns and the Spartan spear/shield combo is too good. ReadyatDawn nailed the controls and defined how a GoW-game should be controlled. Same goes for the silky smooth controls of GoWIII, but Ghost of Sparta only just outdoes it because of the aforementioned things.

By the Gods...

I'll be picking up this PSP GoW collection tomorrow thanks to a) I've never played them, b) I'm a big GoW fan c) 3D implementation is very good

ScOULaris

So why is nobody talking about this collection? It's out now, and it's probably the best HD update yet. I'm finally getting to play through the two chapters that I missed out on because I never owned a PSP, and Ghost of Sparta looks even better than God of War 2.

Did anyone else pick up the collection? I'm loving it so far.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I bought Chains of Olympus and will get Ghost of Sparta once i'm done. Not sure yet if I'll platinum them or not.

God of War 2 HD is my one and only platinum, so there's a good chance I'll go for it. I think I completed everything you could do on both games on the PSP...

Biggzy

StevePharma said:

Lets spice this shit up.

JHw01.jpg

Something tells me you are a fan of the God of War series :p

I just platinum'ed Ghost of Sparta. Playing these back-to-back makes the quality gap between these two games appear much bigger than I realized it was, just like the original collection surprised me by emphasizing just how much GoW1 had aged compared to GoW2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man, Chains of Olympus is really shoddy. I forgot that the
Temple of Persephone is like just room after room of shit and Elysium is just a time waster.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Y2Kev said:
Man, Chains of Olympus is really shoddy. I forgot that the
Temple of Persephone is like just room after room of shit and Elysium is just a time waster.
I'm not going to disagree -- those parts are a real grind -- but much of the rest of the game is a treat and it has one of the best QTEs in a game ever.
And one of the trophies is to let Calliope hold on to you for a whole minute before you push her away. That actually makes it all the better, really. Between when I first played this game to pieces when it launched on the PSP [my last UMD ... all PSN after that] I didn't have a daughter. Now having one, I can relate a bit more.

I just finished CoO and will do a cleanup for the rest of the trophies, if I can manage it. Having a real dodge move on the right stick made the final boss quite easy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The Xtortionist said:
Anyone know how to get the Collateral Damage trophy in Chains?
When you're still in Attica, there is a huge mounted crossbow that you shoot the basilisk with. The crossbow has three positions. If you shoot straight ahead ... this is by memory ... you hit a building that you will see in a subsequent scene. The building is obvious later, because you can see a chest inside it, but you can only get into its broken side if you've shot it with the bow.

Top Bottom