• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Origins |OT| More Kratos in HD

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Callibretto said:
wait? they're redoing some assets? I don't bothre buying it because I already beat it on psp. what asset are they redoing for this hd port?

In addition to what Xander said, they also improved the character models by doubling or tripling the polygon count. I'm not sure if they did that for both games, or just Chains, though.

Xander51

hey_it's_that_dog said:
In addition to what Xander said, they also improved the character models by doubling or tripling the polygon count. I'm not sure if they did that for both games, or just Chains, though.

That's right, I forgot! They also remixed the sound in 5.1 surround and it's pretty great.

augmental

Xander51 said:
As to the pauses and issues people are mentioning, I bought the digital version and I'm not having those problems, so I wonder if maybe it has to do with streaming off the Blu-Ray?

Are other people having pauses while playing the Blu-ray version? I have noticed a few small pauses loading some of the levels later on in Ghost of Sparta, but my main concern was the 'pausing' or slight stuttering with the cut scenes. If anyone has the Blu-ray version and has beaten GoS, if you get a second please go to the Treasures section, In-game videos and go through a few of them to see if you get anything like what I mentioned (pause before the cut scene plays, or a flash of a garbled graphic before the cut scene plays, etc.)

If others can recreate then I can confirm that my PS3 laser is not dying, thanks.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Can I ask if someone wants to game share Resident Evil 4 with their Ghost of Sparta PSN copy or isn't that allowed? :O

On a futher note, game looks awesome and I quite regret that I didn't bought GoS (I already played Chains of Olympus on PSP).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So whoever is on the fence, Best Buy is having a deal

I don't have making thread privileges so I'll put this here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat252800050012&slref=10&slloc=01

Save $20 on two select PS3 collections

Get caught up on these classic PlayStation hits. Buy any two of these collections and you'll save $20.

Follow these steps:

Select a PS3 collection below by clicking the box to its right.
Select a second collection.
Click the Add to Cart button.

Items may ship separately. Three items per order. See offer details.

1. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection - PlayStation 3
2. Resistance Dual Pack Greatest Hits - PlayStation 3
3. Uncharted Greatest Hits Dual Pack - PlayStation 3
4. God of War: Origins Collection - PlayStation 3

It's a buy 1 get 1 50% off

jvm

Gamasutra.
Coming up on the end of Ghost of Sparta, played on hard difficulty of course. Even more so than in Chains of Olympus, I think the extra stick makes a significant difference in really difficult battles. Also, having the right strategies from the beginning, since I struggled with the last big battle in Atlantis (harpies + several shocking globe dudes) and one of the nasty tight battles in the Domain of Death (cyclops and wraiths). For the former, I
kept a harpy alive so that only one shocking globe dude is present at any given time
and for the latter I
upgraded the Arms of Sparta completely and shot them from the air while jumping

Good times, great games.

I finished COO, and i have to say it´s the best paced GOW game. I still have to finish GOS.
The Spartan city in GOS looks amazing. I can´t believe how detail went into that. I just killed King Midas.

I dislike 2 things about the GOW series.
1- The shit jump button. Come on.
2- The invisible walls. I knows other games have it, but it it pisses me off because of the gret detail they put and then you cannot reach a spot.

BTW, i know how people say that Kratos is an asshole and he is really angry. After knowing the story and seeing what the gods have done to him, i do not blame him one bit.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Beam said:
I finished COO, and i have to say it´s the best paced GOW game. I still have to finish GOS.
The Spartan city in GOS looks amazing. I can´t believe how detail went into that. I just killed King Midas.

I dislike 2 things about the GOW series.
1- The shit jump button. Come on.

The Spartan city in GoS isn't really all that interesting. It's pretty empty, with little to do, and it doesn't even look all that impressive when you play that part of the game. What's your problem with the jump button BTW? I know some people had trouble with jumping in GoW 3, but other than that I've never seen anyone have problems with the jump button.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finished Chains on God mode and it was a horrible experience every step of the way. Great move putting a staircase and cutscene (skippable, thank god) before the last boss fight begins. I really enjoyed playing that again and again as she instakilled me until my health was restored to almost full. Then you can take two hits before you die! Eventually I figured out the strategy, which was fairly simple, but has to be executed flawlessly. The second phase was not as hard.

Not learning from my experience, I started Ghost of Sparta on God mode and was very pleasantly surprised by how much better the checkpoints were and how much better the health chest placement was. I still died pretty often in combat, but the checkpoint is usually right before the fight, and I usually had most of my health to work with.

Then I got to the first fight with Keres Wraiths and they are more broken than anything in Chains (or the rest of the series for that matter). Extremely fast attacks, hard to see against the grey background, and a powerful grab move that has priority over seemingly anything you can do other than parry. Not looking forward to fighting them along with other enemies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Got the Platinum for GoS today. The challenges were a breeze.

I went back to GoWIII because I never beat it. I was 8 hours in according to my save from May 2010 but I was only on Normal so I restarted the game on Hard. I keep trying to use the controls from CoO/GoS like a moron. :p

jvm

Gamasutra.
Fuzzy said:
Got the Platinum for GoS today. The challenges were a breeze.

I went back to GoWIII because I never beat it. I was 8 hours in according to my save from May 2010 but I was only on Normal so I restarted the game on Hard. I keep trying to use the controls from CoO/GoS like a moron. :p
Congrats! Hope to join you soon (this week).

Even going from CoO to GoS is annoying. The magic items are activated with something like R1+square in CoO and the D-pad in GoS.

Combichristoffersen said:
The Spartan city in GoS isn't really all that interesting. It's pretty empty, with little to do, and it doesn't even look all that impressive when you play that part of the game. What's your problem with the jump button BTW? I know some people had trouble with jumping in GoW 3, but other than that I've never seen anyone have problems with the jump button.
I thought it was pretty nice. There were a lot of people around. The training of young kids was a good touch.
Well, a lot of times i get killed from trying to do a double jump. I find to be unresponsive and very irritating.

Combichristoffersen

Just finished Chains of Olympus. The final part of
Persephone's Temple
is so horribly cheap with satyrs, armoured cyclops and armoured minotaurs out the wazoo, not to mention the frustrating final boss. The graphics weren't all that great either. Ghost of Sparta definitely benefited far more from getting the HD treatment, as it looks glorious.

Beam said:
I thought it was pretty nice. There were a lot of people around. The training of young kids was a good touch.
Well, a lot of times i get killed from trying to do a double jump. I find to be unresponsive and very irritating.

I didn't have any problems with jumping in CoO, but the rolling is kinda iffy IMO. Like it's not as responsive as in GoW 1-3. Doesn't help much either that the game loves to put you in cramped spaces when fighting.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Picked up the second platinum tonight. All my platinums are God of War ... God of War 2 HD, Ghost of Sparta, and Chains of Olympus.

My mom randomly went to the goodwill because she likes to find random "treasures" there for cheap. She found this game for $5. So yeah.. I have it!

Kingsora said:
Can I ask if someone wants to game share Resident Evil 4 with their Ghost of Sparta PSN copy or isn't that allowed? :O

On a futher note, game looks awesome and I quite regret that I didn't bought GoS (I already played Chains of Olympus on PSP).

I do not think it's allowed anymore, a lot of people see it as no different than "stealing" and to a degree I agree.

DarknessTear said:
My mom randomly went to the goodwill because she likes to find random "treasures" there for cheap. She found this game for $5. So yeah.. I have it!

Wtf, I really need to find one of these places. What just a Salvation Army?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
HOLY QUINTINITY (Yes I created a new word) Achieved!

Platinums # 83 & 84 go in my collection (^_^)

I join the Gods on Mount Olympus (well not anymore, fucking Kratos!), I get to rub elbows with fellow Quintinite (Yes, another new word) StevePharma and others who will get there

2hzirur.jpg

GraveRobberX.png

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Felt like some GoW, picked this up. Played CoO before, my opinion hasn't changed on a second playtrough : enjoyable, but maybe my least favorite game in the series. It just doesn't stand out in any way.

Ghost of Sparta on the other hand! Man, RAD really knocked it out of the park with this one. Great pacing, good bosses and a pretty hefty challenge if you start on hard. What a bitch Erinys is. The game looks really impressive too, and there's a big variety of locales. I can really see myself replaying it at some point, it's just behind II as my favorite part in the series.

Props to RAD for creating the most fun non-blades weapons in the series. Santa Monica probably agrees, since they kinda stole the Zeus gauntlet for III. Loved the Arms of Sparta as well, used them as my main weapon once I got them.

One thing I noticed in Ghost was that they shied away from really big long battles with tons of waves, but just made enemies more dangerous (at least in hard mode) while keeping the numbers pretty small. It made for shorter, but more intense combat sequences.
They also didn't include many blade fodder enemies. Even the basic soldiers can rip you apart if you're not careful. Encounters, even early on, can be pretty intense.

My only big gripe with the 2 games is the dumb placement of checkpoints at times. As in : right before an unskippable cutscene. May not be noticeable on normal, but it is on hard. They did improve on this in GoS though.

All in all this is a collection that no one should miss. I got a feeling GoS got a bit overlooked everywhere, and that's a real shame.

Also part of the 5 GoW platinum club!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Getting this for one of my Christmas gifts. What game do you start with first? I've already played the first 3.

Play Chains of Olympus first then Ghost of Sparta not just because they go in order but also playing Ghost of Sparta first will make the playthough Chains of Olympus quite dull in comparison.

RPGCrazied

While Ghost of Sparta was the better game, they both were about the same length. I finished them both in under 5 hours.

I thought I heard Ghost of Sparta was like 8hours long. Oh well, good games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I finally got to play these two since I never owned a PSP and holy shittttt I liked Ghost of Sparta about 25x more than GOW3. Damn, I wish I had played the game in between GOW 1/2 properly because it is such a badass build up to GOW2. I'm also blown away at how well it translated to 1080p.

Chains of Olympus on the other hand was a let down. It was missing a lot of the spectacle that makes me a sucker for the series and the art was a bit bland at times.

bridegur

Playing through this. I beat Chains of Olympus and enjoyed it, but Ghost of Sparta is amazing. It looks incredible, and so far it feels like it might tie GoW2 as my favorite in the series.

Torraz

copy/paste from the "stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread"

Does either of these games feature encounters like:
- in GoW 1 where one had to push a chest up a slope while enemies constantly spawned and assaulted the player
- in GoW 2 where one was on this circular platform on the river and had to push three levers while being constantly assaulted
- in GoW 2 where one had to push this stone (and hide behind it due to waves of fire) while being constantly assaulted by harpies

Or is is like GoW 3 without any of these very annoying scenarios?

Thanks

Combichristoffersen

copy/paste from the "stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread"

Does either of these games feature encounters like:
- in GoW 1 where one had to push a chest up a slope while enemies constantly spawned and assaulted the player
- in GoW 2 where one was on this circular platform on the river and had to push three levers while being constantly assaulted
- in GoW 2 where one had to push this stone (and hide behind it due to waves of fire) while being constantly assaulted by harpies

Or is is like GoW 3 without any of these very annoying scenarios?

Thanks

Nothing in GoS from what I can remember. Can't really remember about CoO, but I don't think there was anything like what you mentioned. The only parts of CoO that I can remember being hugely annoying was towards the end of the game where you'd be in small, cramped rooms fighting cyclopi, and cramped corridors fighting satyrs.

Torraz

Nothing in GoS from what I can remember. Can't really remember about CoO, but I don't think there was anything like what you mentioned. The only parts of CoO that I can remember being hugely annoying was towards the end of the game where you'd be in small, cramped rooms fighting cyclopi, and cramped corridors fighting satyrs.

Thanks!

I'll put the collection on my "buy when I see a nice deal" - list... since I'll be busy with Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 (hopefully) for the foreseeable future.

Creamium said:
Props to RAD for creating the most fun non-blades weapons in the series. Santa Monica probably agrees, since they kinda stole the Zeus gauntlet for III.
Old but still.. what do you mean? Because Ghost of Sparta released long after GoW3!

Himself

The announcement of Ascension got me fired up so I downloaded the Origins collection demo. I was pleasantly surprised! The setting/art was great and the spear is probably my favorite secondary weapon in the series aside from the Cestus. The pacing and everything just seemed really well done. Moody as shit, good enemy variety, and predictably cliched Kratos jumping at a screaming monster to end it all (they NEED to stop doing this for trailers/ demos). Ordered from Amazon and impatiently awaiting delivery.

Top Bottom