• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Reviewer Has Received Death Threat After Giving The Game A 6 Out Of 10

I mean why is it disingenuous? Nintendo and Sony games get a bump up and we all know it. Majority of those games do not deserve perfect scores and I'm not going to lie when I tell you that so far Ragnarok honestly looks to be more of the same so far in terms of gameplay.
This is such bullshit. This is the first Sony game that gets +90 on metacritic in 2 years and the first original game since TLOU2. Many games get +80 and we have plenty of those that don't reach those scores. Destruction AllStars, MLB games, Sackboy, etc.

Even something like Ghost of Tsushima got like an 83.

If anything, i've noticed a trend that any game, no matter what company as long it's exclusive (Nintendo, Playstation or MS), gets some dubious scores from certain sources like Stevivor for Playstation. You think something like Elden Ring would be a 97 if it was a PS4 and PS5 exclusive? lmao

Topher

Gold Member
It’s almost as if he never played the game at all and just used meme trolling “talking points.”

That's what I think. He's got a paragraph yapping on and on comparing the game to lego blocks. That's called "filler". Hell, the review is a third as long as the main IGN review. Just an empty shell.

This review shouldn't be outright dismissed for its score. It should be outright dismissed for the review itself.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think an outlier review is fine as long as the reviewer does a good job outlining the reasoning behind their review. I don't think this Korea reviewer did that at all. A sequel is not typically dramatically different from its predecessor, especially when the predecessor was as lavishly praised as God of War. But this is the reason the Korean reviewer dished on GoW: R. The problem is the review in entirely incomplete compared to other reviews. The Korean reviewer doesn't talk about the side quests at all. Doesn't mention the new realms. Doesn't mention the bosses which is something people complained about in the previous game. It is an entirely hollow review.
The review can be complete nonsense but still there is no need for stupid ass death threads, people just need act little, just little bit more logical but that’s apparently too much to ask in social media.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The review can be complete nonsense but still there is no need for stupid ass death threads, people just need act little, just little bit more logical but that’s apparently too much to ask in social media.

Of course there is no need for death threats. That goes without saying.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Of course there is no need for death threats. That goes without saying.
And yet people still do it anyway and this not just gaming, it happens in movies and comic industry because 90% of people on social media are.....
brian-regan-derp.gif

Yoboman

Agreed.

Anyway, every person may like or not like something. Funny how in movies, everyone is fine with people giving 2 stars or 4 star reviews, while games have this odd way where all reviewers need to funnel their scores to a tight band to make the fanboy feel better. What uber fanboys desperately what to tell the world:

"Oh no. That 6/10 score is going to dump down the Metacritic score a whopping 1 pt. Hey gamers, if you exclude that review the MC score should go up a pt."

I think just about every game site gives Grand Theft Auto 9s and 10s. I hate those games. Other games that I've played which I bin right away though sites give great reviews:

- Shadow of Colossus
- Halo games
- Borderlands games
Review scales are established through precedent

It's pointless to compare to movies to games because the precedent there was a 4 or 5 point scale, set by popular reviewers like Roger Ebert and many others followed that template

Games precedent is a 10 point scale with the popular precedent set by the likes of IGN and Gamespot. In fact they used to use a 100 point scale - which is probably what helped popularise the single point breakdown we get on sites like Metacritic and made 80 and above the sort of benchmark

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Review scales are established through precedent

It's pointless to compare to movies to games because the precedent there was a 4 or 5 point scale, set by popular reviewers like Roger Ebert and many others followed that template

Games precedent is a 10 point scale with the popular precedent set by the likes of IGN and Gamespot. In fact they used to use a 100 point scale - which is probably what helped popularise the single point breakdown we get on sites like Metacritic and made 80 and above the sort of benchmark
That has nothing to do what I was talking about. It could be a 1000 star system.

The point is gamers care a lot about tight review scores to make themselves feel better, while nobody in life cares if movie scores span from 0 to 10 or 0 to 5.

You got a lot fan warriors in gaming, you dont see in other forms of entertainment.

Reasons like this and the death threats for TLOU2’s actress are why not everyone needs to have usage of the internet. Whether he did the review for controversy or because it’s his opinion, death threats are beyond ridiculous. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore these days especially with social media and the state of the world.

Last edited:

NickFire

That has nothing to do what I was talking about. It could be a 1000 star system.

The point is gamers care a lot about tight review scores to make themselves feel better, while nobody in life cares if movie scores span from 0 to 10 or 0 to 5.

You got a lot fan warriors in gaming, you dont see in other forms of entertainment.
I don’t follow movie enthusiast sites so I can’t agree or disagree on whether people feel critic reviews are things to cry or dunk on people for. I think that I used to see plenty of people review bombing or giving perfect scores to movies before release though. So theres definitely plenty of crazies in other forms too.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's because nobody who watches tv shows or movies fanboy over which studio makes the content. Nor do they battle which brand of kitchen appliance they own vs the guy next door. You'd think it would be a great battle ground where one guy with $5000 worth of KitchenAid would go toe to toe with a guy spending $5000 on Samsung. They could even do a round robin bracket where it's fridge vs fridge, dish washer vs dishwasher and even which brand makes the best blender.

I bet most people dont give a shit which media company makes the movies or most other things they have in their house. But video games fan warriors have "plastic box theory" drilled into their skulls.
I follow music too and they get plenty of "death threats" when they give bad reviews to big artists. Not sure why you're making this about gamers only.

Take your Panasonic microwave and go.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I thought Gotham knights and babylons fall were both 8.5/10s. No one threatened to kill me but people do think of me as Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder .

A donkey reviewer riling up insecure sheep...What's new? The fact that we still raise these non-issues, which will never disappear, unless the internet vanishes, is a waste of time.

Yoboman

I'm agreeing with you, my point is gamers nitpick over scores because they've basically been trained to count every single point by the way reviews are done

It doesn't really happen in movies much cause of the way reviews work there. Though there is inherently less rivalry in movies anyway

supernova8

Banned
Apparently the story is good and the gameplay is as good as the last one (which I admittedly didn't play) but surely it deserves to lose some points for visually/mechanically being pretty much the exact same game as the PS4 God of War game aside from some optimizations to make it run better on PS5, no?

6/10 definitely sounds a bit extreme (and probably done on purpose to get clicks, it's the internet after all) but all the 9s and 10s out of 10 look equally ridiculous to me. From everything I've seen and read it looks like a solid 8.5 but nothing more (which is a good score! so shut the f up!).

Last edited:
Apparently the story is good and the gameplay is as good as the last one (which I admittedly didn't play) but surely it deserves to lose some points for visually/mechanically being pretty much the exact same game as the PS4 God of War game aside from some optimizations to make it run better on PS5, no?

6/10 definitely sounds a bit extreme (and probably done on purpose to get clicks, it's the internet after all) but all the 9s and 10s out of 10 look equally ridiculous to me. From everything I've seen and read it looks like a solid 8.5 but nothing more (which is a good score! so shut the f up!).

Nah...By that token, Elden Rings should be penalized for using the same mechanics From has been known for, iterating on the formula they started with DS on the PS3. It is absolutely fine for a direct sequel such as GOWR to build on the same foundations laid by the reboot. You can not expect every single entry to reinvent the wheel, can you? The game is ultra-polished, with deep combat and rich customization, spectacular set-pieces, interesting characters, and, apparently, a superb story...Why would you apply such scrutiny to it, and it alone, when multiple hits get shielded from this treatment? Makes zero sense, imo.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned

What a nonsense post. The PS4 game (that you never played) was already a total reboot of the series and there's nothing else on the market that plays like it.

Basically you want every sequel to lose points for being...a sequel.

supernova8

Banned
Nah...By that token, Elden Rings should be penalized for using the same mechanics From has been known for, iterating on the formula they started with DS on the PS3. It is absolutely fine for a direct sequel such as GOWR to build on the same foundations laid by the reboot. You can not expect every single entry to reinvent the wheel, can you? The game is ultra-polished, with deep combat and rich customization, spectacular set-pieces, interesting characters, and, apparently, a superb story...Why would you apply such scrutiny to it, and it alone, when multiple hits get shielded from this treatment? Makes zero sense, imo.
Firstly, I haven't played Elden Ring either but that seems to be an open world dark souls game, which as far as I know hasn't been done before.

Also
I would be more than happy for those other "multiple hits" to receive the same scrutiny. I'm not singling out GOW, it just so happens that this thread is about GOW.

I actually think perfect scores should be reserved for games that reinvent the wheel. Otherwise what are we going to do? Just give out perfect 10s as if they're candy? It dilutes the meaning/value of such scores. I don't think having a great story and great set pieces is sufficient to warrant a perfect score.

supernova8

Banned
What a nonsense post. The PS4 game (that you never played) was already a total reboot of the series and there's nothing else on the market that plays like it.

Basically you want every sequel to lose points for being...a sequel.

Yes absolutely I want sequels to lose points if they are really just progressing the story and adding more set pieces (which seems to be more or less what GOW:R is doing, albeit doing it well apparently).

Logically, the original PS4 reboot has already earned all the praise/points for the technical aspects. More than happy for the PS4 reboot to get a 10 out of 10 but in comparison, does this game really deserve 10 out of 10? I think "no" but obviously you think it does, which is fine. All entailed to our opinions.

Also to make it clear I'm not hating on/singling out GOW, let's make it clear that the BOTW (a game I have actually played, shocking I know) sequel will have to do something really astounding to warrant anything near a perfect score (especially considering how long they are taking to make the damn thing).

Last edited:
Yes absolutely I want sequels to lose points if they are really just progressing the story and adding more set pieces (which seems to be more or less what GOW:R is doing, albeit doing it well apparently).

Logically, the original PS4 reboot has already earned all the praise/points for the technical aspects. More than happy for the PS4 reboot to get a 10 out of 10 but in comparison, does this game really deserve 10 out of 10? I think "no" but obviously you think it does, which is fine. All entailed to our opinions.

Also to make it clear I'm not hating on/singling out GOW, let's make it clear that the BOTW (a game I have actually played, shocking I know) sequel will have to do something really astounding to warrant anything near a perfect score (especially considering how long they are taking to make the damn thing).

I get what you are saying, but reviews do not work that way, I'm afraid. I happen to share your thinking: 10 should be reserved for nearly perfect titles, which have a lasting impact on the medium...possibly a handful over the span of an entire generation. But before getting to approach testing games with this exacting mindset, there should at least be some universal rules that apply to all, regardless of the weight of the developers behind them...

Last edited:

It's social media. People will send death threats even if the review is extremely positive. Not that its correct to do that though as it should never happen.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Ok Stephanie Sterling

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Didn't this happen with last of us 2 etc? I feel this happens with all big tent pole exclusives. Totally unacceptable and weird as fuck but I feel its uncomfortably common.

That plastic box gonna drive some people to insanity.

xrnzaaas

People on the internet can be pretty horrible and if you're a reviewer it can happen to you even if you gave the game a very high score and someone thought it didn't deserve it. It's just best to ignore/block blatant haters rather than avoid giving more controversial scores in the future (because that's when they win).

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I don't mind critical reviews, but giving this a 6 is obviously just ridiculous. I can never take this reviewer seriously anymore.

Death threats are even more ridiculous though. Imagine a game being so important to you that you resort to this... Get a life.

-Zelda-

Banned
Why? The review text was probably his honest opinion.
Didn't you know that if you do not give every highly successful and popular game nothing less than a perfect score in your own experience, that you are nothing but a "troll" and "have bad taste"? It's the law of the internet that you have to consume and love everything.

-Zelda-

Banned
Well it's twitter. Isn't that all the rage on that platform. Wish Musk would pull the plug.
I don't. Only because I do not follow anyone there and only use to to upload my game session screencaps since facebook can no longer link to Sony consoles. I have to use twitter as some annoying middleman.

This is...not at all what the game is doing. The game does start that way though, but it's supposed to be that way at first.

Tams

Has he tried not being a shit critic and a shit stirrer?

Death threats are bad, blah, blah, blah. I have no sympathy for someone who voluntarily puts themselves in a position that they know is going to anger people that much. If you're going to be a shit stirrer, then if you can't stand the heat; get out of the kitchen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom